Help save the realm

The game has changed, and newer players are coddled to the point of being lazy by comparison. However, some of these people have what it takes to be amazing WoW players, thus making a strong server. Try to find and help those whose lackings isnt there fault beyond there environment.

Which pretty much brings us full circle, Standing around in trade calling people who ask questions bads, or ridiculing them because you have played longer or read more articles or had a friend to "mentor" you only hurts us all. Im not saying it was any better back in the day.

I have always said if you need a question answered and you have to go to trade or general chat. The best strategy is to ask your question and have a buddy give you a WRONG answer. The population will fall all over themselves to give the right answer just to make your buddy look bad. -_-
Reply Quote
I am a Day One Muradin veteran. My opinion about raiding on this server is harsh. I'm not going to attack anyone with a differing opinion but I'd be glad to discuss it.

People are too nice on this server. Friendly competition is participation ribbon garbage.

It's like Dabu came here, slapped out your purse, knocked your friend out and now you have nobody to hold yo earrings. You're just going to stand there, stare and smile.

I'm not hating on Dabu here. I was hoping this guild would spark some competitive fire that the server needs. No competition. No drive to improve. No raiding. Muradin doesn't have that drive anymore. Muradin doesn't want to improve. Forum people are a minority, sorry.

I didn't get better as a player because someone told me "We're all happy friends!!! look how well everyone is doing!! RAINBOWS AND FRIENDS. UNICORNS. GUMDROPS. FLOWERS. CLOUDS!" I got better as a player because someone told me I was bad, took it personally and improved. Someone told me to get better or expect the gkick. Someone told me that the other guild is a boss ahead of us and they're talkin' crap.

All those factors drove me to improve my self, which in returned improved my raid team.

TL;DR Cut the participation ribbon garbage and learn to hate someone enough to improve.

Edit: I'm rambling like an old man due to no sleep.
Edited by Graphite on 1/20/2013 7:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
While I would agree that there does seem to be a YMCA soccer league mentality about gameplay these days, even those kids get coaches.

I have been asked to leave a pug raid before too, because i wasn't pulling the numbers (early on in my raiding). The thing is how it was handled. The RL whispered me explained why, said "go check out EJ and see if its in your rotation and hit me up next week for an invite" turns out it was rotation and I found that thanks to his guidance. Had he just kicked me with no explaination or said " cya baddie" and kicked me I would not have had a clue and probably wouldve just kept on doing what I was doing.

Im not saying we should be giving participation ribbons, I'm saying we should not assume every player knows what it is they should be doing or where to look for information on how to improve.

I agree a little friendly competition and the trash talk that goes along with it is good for progression, but the key word there is friendly. The tone has often been mean in spirit these days and as I said in my original post. You cannot insult 75% of your faction and expect them to come running when your guild needs fillers or to recruit.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
01/20/2013 09:35 AMPosted by Cuchullin
Im not saying we should be giving participation ribbons, I'm saying we should not assume every player knows what it is they should be doing or where to look for information on how to improve.

Cuchullin, you hit it right on the head. There IS a balanced approach to being a raid leader of a progression raiding guild. Being a total jerkface isn't a requirement. Being able to tell people when they're screwing up in a totally constructive matter is a skill that leaders needs to learn. My team has a lot of fun, and we all know our role. My job is to step in and tell people what's what when I need to, in order to keep the fun rolling. Playing games can be fun and serious at the same time.

Just the other night we were doinking around, wiped on a boss we had on farm, so I reigned in the silly, said "let's all be quiet, focus, and get this boss down now". One perfect kill later, we had more epics, happy raiders, and a good raid night.

I've had those crazy raid leaders who call everyone names, tell them they're terrible players, and you know what? I would never want that again. I know I'm a really great player that sometimes makes mistakes, and I don't need to be trod upon when I do. I'll own up to them and I will get better to improve myself, not to impress or spite others - and those are the kinds of folks I prefer to recruit in my raid team, anyways. I'm also all for mentoring new players, or doing research to help my team (and they would do the same for me, if the situation allowed!).

I do think that yes, we could go for a little bit of friendly competition, but it should never resort to name calling, insults, or anything of the sort.

Except if the opposition is gnomes. Or rogues. ;p
Edited by Amilyra on 1/20/2013 9:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
Not to be overly negative but, knowing what I know now about how horde plays vs alliance, I would not have made the choice for alliance 6 years ago.
Muradin, far as I can tell, has never been a good place for serious players. (Ones actually trying to improve their game.)
There were some fine people if you're only playing for the social/casual aspect but not enough to redeem it.
I agree with Graphite in that the server is often too friendly. I haven't once seen a RBG group (not led by me) here that was unafraid to provide helpful criticism or kick people causing the group to fail, even when the problem is painfully obvious.
It probably had its glory day a few years back but that's gone and never coming again.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
There's a very, very big difference between being a leader in charge, being a jerk, and being a carebear. Carebear and jerk are just the extremes of poor leadership ability, rather than a lack or sign of leadership capabilities.

There are many folks on this server, and while a majority of them might not be capable of being high level raiders or PVPers, that doesn't inherently mean the server is "bad". There are guilds of people that are capable, that aren't afraid to provide criticism in a constructive manner, and who will not tolerate carries. Guild leaders cannot control servers, just the behavour and expectations of the members on the server that are in their guild. I don't know why we're not differentiating this.
Reply Quote
Guild leaders cannot control servers, just the behavour and expectations of the members on the server that are in their guild. .

100% correct. One point that was brought up earlier and I think needs a bit of exploration is the idea of guild leaders / officers cooperating between guilds. Your members will follow your lead. We have all seen members of various guilds in trade openly denigrating other players and in some cases guilds as a whole. I have had people who were openly insulting a guild I was a member of whisper me for a spot in runs and not understand why I wouldn't send them an invite.

WoW is an incredibly diverse game it caters to the questers, the farmers, the auctioneers, the raiders, and pvpers. So it's accurate to say that not everyone's idea of what qualifies as a "good player" will align with everyone else's but one thing that should carry through to all styles of gameplay is a level of civility.

It is up to the leaders of the various guilds to ask themselves "would I tolerate this behavior inside the guild (chat / interactions). If not, why would you allow your members to have the realm to identify certain behaviors with your guild? Some simply will not care and will respond with some variation of why so serious, but those of us who DO care need to actively work to bring about a change on the server.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I think Ilych and Treystand have said their piece better than I ever could.

If anyone Alliance side is looking for a solid guild of likeable, fun individuals that is already in raiding mode and working on progression, feel free to contact <needs hugs>. Afterall, everyone on Muradin could use more hugs, right?

I also have a druid alt that's bear/tree and I'm free to raid on that character, if anyone needs a filler. =D

Can I have hugs, even though I'm horde?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Good post Graphite. I think you are right on many counts there but there is just one problem. As the RL and GM of this guild i am the one tasked with not only trying to improve the raid group but also keeping the guild itself healthy. On a higher population realm i would have no problem telling someone they were not up to our standards and have them change something. On this realm that is a very touchy thing because the replacements just aren't there if someone gets their feelings hurt.

I also think you are correct about the competition between guild not being where it should be. I think that when Dabu x-ferred here it killed any competitive feelings any of us had. We all knew we could not catch them seeing as they were too far ahead at the start. I hope that the next tier of content will change this as we all start with a clean slate.

My original post was made to try to keep players from the guilds that have dispanded on the realm. Paramount, Absinthe, and OOtA to name a few. This may help to solve the problem i was talking about in my first statement. I think its time we stop being quite so nice and try to get these players who can raid into our groups and get better. Until there is some feeling of being replaced raiders will not try to improve.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
As i don't post often anymore, i figured i would chime in.
1. Absinthe didn't really lose its competitiveness in any way, I'm sure we could have caught up eventually. It ended up being timing issues more than anything.We also all didn't leave server, we kinda stopped playing, taking breaks etc.
2. Atleast me and a few others still do play/afk, so if anyone is in need of a pug or what not i can always try to assist.
3. I did fairly well as a warlock and a Death knight either this or last expansion, so if anyone would like maybe some help or whatnot, im always game for helping players improve. Find someone in my guild that's online and they can point you to me
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Good post Graphite. I think you are right on many counts there but there is just one problem. As the RL and GM of this guild i am the one tasked with not only trying to improve the raid group but also keeping the guild itself healthy. On a higher population realm i would have no problem telling someone they were not up to our standards and have them change something. On this realm that is a very touchy thing because the replacements just aren't there if someone gets their feelings hurt.

That's a guild killing mentality. I've been a recruiter on Muradin for both a new and established guild. When you bring people in because you just need bodies it drives out the people who give a damn. Punch/Graphite is right this is a really friendly server and it has killed all drive of competition save between a few people, unfortunately mostly the trade chat trolls, between guilds.

I pushed for Shadowraven to leave Muradin partly because of the aura of complacency that exists on the Alliance side, I believe that is partly why Scuttles, Punch/Graphite, and the rest of RoR left the server as well. There are a lot of resources on the web that don't require dedicating your life to the game to look up. Casual doesn't need to equate to lack of skill. I raid 3 days a week, Punch/Graphite plays less than that but you can be assured that we know how to play our classes inside and out. It's not because we dedicate 40 hours a week to our game its because we make the effort. You GMs and your Officers need to be the drive behind this. Knowing where to point new or weaker players is only going to make your raid and ultimately the server more successful.

Another issue here on the Alliance side is that success doesn't breed competition here it breeds hatred and contempt. There are ways to stay competitive with out belittling the achievements of other guilds. That happy medium needs to found to breed a better server.

Finally, if you are a good player, a great player, the best player of your class on the server, don't be a *!*@#@#! when people ask you for advice. Say what you want about me (if you remember me) when I was on top I helped everyone out. I wrote two columns and I answered whispers daily. Make the effort to spread around your knowledge if you are a top performer. You are only going to help the entire community grow.

You all have some great ideas and plans here in this thread and I really hope that it works. Muradin used to be a competitive server and I feel that with effort and you guys leading the charge it can get back to that level.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
How is Shadowraven doing now, Boat?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
01/30/2013 01:00 AMPosted by Spysappin
How is Shadowraven doing now, Boat?

Better than you seem to be fairing :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
01/20/2013 07:25 AMPosted by Graphite
I didn't get better as a player because someone told me "We're all happy friends!!! look how well everyone is doing!! RAINBOWS AND FRIENDS. UNICORNS. GUMDROPS. FLOWERS. CLOUDS!"

Which is why I have written many times....
"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things"

Punch gets it xD
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
"Never gonna give you up,
never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and de-sert you!"

I don't care if I'm the last player on the server, I'm staying here till the lights go out. Mostly because i'm cheap.

LFR 4-Life!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
]id like to think of muradin as a underfunded basketball team. for the most part the teams always sucks and get no respect anywhere. every now and then there is a spark of greatness that arises but is quickly swept away by a big collage or even the NBA. point being if all of u kids (and im guilty of this) would stop server transferring perhaps maybe one day we can all join together sing campfire songs and make a decent raid team seeing that will never happen its a very sad thought :( rip muradin the dieing server sense mid wrath lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
and to the people talking bout guild swallowers lets get some quality guilds before we make 1034820830 of them this isent illidan stormrage ect. u get my point no need to make a 5000 guilds when theres only 4000 looking for them
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
02/07/2013 06:30 AMPosted by Jkimtoogood
point being if all of u kids (and im guilty of this) would stop server transferring perhaps maybe one day we can all join together sing campfire songs and make a decent raid team seeing that will never happen its a very sad thought

The decision to transfer usually isn't because the guild wants what's best for the server, but because they want what's best for themselves. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. In our case, it did. But really, what effect did it have on Muradin other than removing a guild from the progress section? Nobody else's raids were effected by us leaving.

I don't think the problem lies with guilds that already have a raid team transferring. It's more about people that want to start raiding, but want to bring raiders into their guild for it instead of dropping their own guild tag to join someone else. There's too many guilds but not enough players. At least on Alliance side. If the realm gets more people like Cuchullin bringing together the raiders without a solid group, then it might get somewhere. Just my thoughts.
Reply Quote
Thanks Zephyrm

The 25m was a success the first week it ran. We figured the 2nd week would possibly not happen as it was superbowl sunday, but we still hosted and pulled in 10 to run. This week we have had a large number of responses and may not be able to bring all that have accepted.

It is a step in the right direction for the server I think, but 1 raid won't change the atmosphere on the server, it will take some work.

It is worth mentioning that the 25m is the product of our GM and evening raid lead Woolfgar, I am merely the cat herder that gets everyone to the summoning stone.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]