It's time for a new AoE healing tool for Disc

90 Blood Elf Priest
I think Blizzard needs to remember why they added auto DA to PoH to begin with and that's because we had no other effective ways to heal the raid other than PW:S spamming.

I don't think Blizzard should make such a drastic change without giving us another AoE healing tool like they promised with this expansion. They first told us they were removing PoH from Disc and that Holy Nova would be our main AoE healing tool. But then they never showed us anything substantial (I think they honestly believed we'd run around like fools spamming Holy Nova) and decided to scrap the idea.

When our level 90 talent and SS are on cooldown, the only thing we can do to AoE heal is PoH and Atonement heal which isn't very effective. If they want us to use something other than PoH to heal the raid then give us something new and fresh because PW:S and Penance aren't going to cut it.

Here are some possible ideas to get Blizzard's thoughts rolling. Feel free to comment on my ideas or post your own. All of my ideas but one have a heal/absorb component that would help us AoE heal but would also benefit from our mastery. Also unlike Spirit Shell, these spells are meant to be reactive rather than proactive, which would compliment us with other healers rather than reduce their roles.

Prayer of Refuge - 10 sec cooldown - Instant Cast
Surrounds 4 of the most injured allies in a protective shield that absorbs X damage. Lasts 6 sec. When the shield breaks or its duration ends, the shield bursts healing all allies within 15 yards of each target for Y health.

Light Sear - 5 sec channel
As a Discipline Priest, your Mind Sear becomes Light Sear. Causes an explosion of holy magic around the target, causing X holy damage every 1 sec for 5 sec to all enemies within 10 yards of the target and Y healing every 1 sec for 5 sec to all allies within 15 yards of the target.

Renewed Hope - Instant Cast - 8 sec cooldown
Sends 5 of the most injured allies Renewed Hope for 8 sec. Renewed Hope grants the target an absorption shield of X every 2 sec. After 8 sec are up, the target is healed for 100% of the remaining shield.

Orb of Lights – Instant Cast – 15 sec cooldown – 30 yard range
Places a holy orb on the ground healing all allies within 30 yards for X every 2 sec for 8 sec. After reaching the end of its duration, the orb explodes granting 6 of the most injured allies within 40 yards a shield which absorbs Y damage.

Power Word: Sanctity – Instant Cast – 20 sec cooldown
Causes your next Power Word: Shield to become Power Word: Sanctity. Power Word: Sanctity absorbs 25% more damage and instantly heals all allies within 30 yards of this target for X% of the absorption shield.
Edited by Senari on 1/17/2013 2:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Prayer of Mending still exists and they're creating a glyph of Binding Heal that creates a quasi-Chain Heal.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
PoM is junk for all but light pulsing aoe damage and binding heal will still force a heal on yourself making it ridiculously inefficient unless all shamans chain heal using themselves as their first target.

I like all the ideas in the initial post, we need a smart aoe badly as long as blizzard continues to make most dmg aoe damage. I don't know if I care for a smart heal to be an absorb though personally just a straight heal would be better because shields placement should be smart. If they transitioned to spot damage on people instead of raid wide big hits or raid wide damage pulses on every fight a proper aoe wouldn't be as necessary, but it's lazy fight design that got us here that didn't change since DS.

Another thought on aoe remove the cd on penance (the T14 -> 15 set bonus currently makes me want to not wear 15 gear as disc) and allow it to splash heal those around the target and possibly even splash damage/atone. I think that would be a lot of fun and wouldn't add yet another button to my already seriously overcrowded priest skill bars.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/17/2013 03:34 PMPosted by Stormheals
PoM is junk for all but light pulsing aoe damage and binding heal will still force a heal on yourself making it ridiculously inefficient unless all shamans chain heal using themselves as their first target.

So the solution is to leave half of Discipline's healing arsenal as junk and invent totally new spells?

I like all the ideas in the initial post, we need a smart aoe badly as long as blizzard continues to make most dmg aoe damage.

And Penance via Atonement is... what?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/17/2013 04:16 PMPosted by Medeyn
And Penance via Atonement is... what?

That is not an AOE spell and you know it. It's a single target smart heal that's calculating each volley separately. But it's not an AOE and you shouldn't keep referring to it as one.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I somewhat share the sentiment of wanting a new healing tool, but I also think it would be good to take a serious look at what we have and see how it can be improved upon or tweaked to fit Disc's needs without breaking the spec again.

Unfortunately, last time Blizzard tried to create that new tool (albeit as a replacement for PoH), they chose Holy Nova and the backlash from many priests was night instant and quite vitriolic. As far as I know, the plan never made it past the "we're going to do something with this" stage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Ghostcrawler:
We might in the future add another AE heal for Disc (I think you can make a compelling argument that in this day and age, healers need a variety of interesting AE heals and maybe only a couple of ST heals, while healer design for years went in the opposite direction) but that's not the sort of thing we want to drop on you in the middle of an expansion.

Just posting this for context. I think adding a spell or altering one of our current spells to fill such a role is something they want to do, just don't expect this to happen any time soon.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I somewhat share the sentiment of wanting a new healing tool, but I also think it would be good to take a serious look at what we have and see how it can be improved upon or tweaked to fit Disc's needs without breaking the spec again.

Unfortunately, last time Blizzard tried to create that new tool (albeit as a replacement for PoH), they chose Holy Nova and the backlash from many priests was night instant and quite vitriolic. As far as I know, the plan never made it past the "we're going to do something with this" stage.

I think the stage was, "We're going to do something with this, and this is what we're doing, and we're taking PoH away from you." This was around the time they also removed Greater Heal from Disc and made us use Spirit Shell as a single-target heal. It was a bad, bad time.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Oh, I agree it was a bad time, but I don't think they actually gave us the details of how HN would work.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/17/2013 04:41 PMPosted by Elethia
Oh, I agree it was a bad time, but I don't think they actually gave us the details of how HN would work.

What I remember about it was that they said the cost of the ability would be quite high (think Flash Heal high) and that it would still be instant and somehow tied to where we were standing. At least, that's what I remember getting from the posts. I'd have to go back to check to be sure.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Well, I'll mention it here. 3-target atonement would be pretty snazzy and would be relatively easy to implement.

Thinking on it, I'd probably balance Smite around doing relatively low throughput on its own, while Holy Fire could be a bigger 'AoE NOW' button.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Atonement heals 3 low health member for 40% of damage.
This will make penance into a filter aoe heal while smite healing still unable to cover the raid damage. Atonement now becomes a core spell into our raid aoe rotation rather just used to stack archangel.

The best about it, our single target healling rotation becomes much clear and reliable.

Further more with current 5.2 notes, making disc mastery into x % of over healing turns into shield. That way we can still top people up and use ape heals to ready for spike raid damage, of course doing so will be mana consuming.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Atonement heals 3 low health member for 40% of damage.
This will make penance into a filter aoe heal while smite healing still unable to cover the raid damage. Atonement now becomes a core spell into our raid aoe rotation rather just used to stack archangel.

The best about it, our single target healling rotation becomes much clear and reliable.

Further more with current 5.2 notes, making disc mastery into x % of over healing turns into shield. That way we can still top people up and use ape heals to ready for spike raid damage, of course doing so will be mana consuming.

Atonement is already a core ability, what are you smoking?

And anything that encourages overhealing is promoting bad play, so no, I think I like my mastery just the way it is.
Edited by Dysrhythmia on 1/17/2013 5:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
01/17/2013 05:14 PMPosted by Dysrhythmia

And? Something being a core ability hardly makes it untouchable. No golden cows in game design and all.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
01/17/2013 05:17 PMPosted by Skootalloo

And? Something being a core ability hardly makes it untouchable. No golden cows in game design and all.

I'd much rather see one of the OP's ideas implemented or have some unique interaction added to PoM than have Atonement tampered with.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest

25man maybe, be in 10men offensive healing may not be needed. Disc have way many options for covering single target healing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/17/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Shadowfask

25man maybe, be in 10men offensive healing may not be needed. Disc have way many options for covering single target healing.

Um...I don't know how much 10 man raiding you are doing, but I can guarantee you that 10 man Priests are using Atonement far more than 25 man Priests. Even GC has acknowledged this. I use Atonement extensively every single raid.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
01/17/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Dysrhythmia

I'd much rather see one of the OP's ideas implemented or have some unique interaction added to PoM than have Atonement tampered with.

The thing is we have way too many spells in our spell book that doesn't contribute or not even related to our healing mechanics. This is due to blizzard new spec talent system, in the past we can spec into strong tank healer or core raid healer, but now our mechanics are broken in both ways. Adding new spells will only make things worst.

As from logs, in 25men disc priest are just spamming PoH, and use atonement only for archangel.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
01/17/2013 05:21 PMPosted by Tiriél

Um...I don't know how much 10 man raiding you are doing, but I can guarantee you that 10 man Priests are using Atonement far more than 25 man Priests. Even GC has acknowledged this. I use Atonement extensively every single raid.

Bear me, I only finished normal. But even your statement is right, then atonement should even more be fixed because our greater hell and heal should not be just sitting in our spell book.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/17/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Shadowfask

Do you even raid?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]