It's time for a new AoE healing tool for Disc

I know we'd never see this, but I'd still like something like this:

Shield Burst
8 second cooldown

Consumes the target's Power Word: Shield effect, healing up to 5 injured targets within 40 yards for the remaining absorption amount, split between targets.

Numbers could be adjusted, of course, but think of it as a cross between Circle of Healing and Swiftmend (because of the PW:S requirement). It would scale with mastery because it's based off of the remaining shield absorption, but it wouldn't be an absorb effect, which I think is important because Disc's problem is that absorbs are too good compared to regular heals. You could either pop an existing shield for lower healing if you need it in a pinch, or spend two GCDs (one to set up a shield and another to burst it) to consume a full shield for max healing.

Aww man, now I like this idea so much that I can't ever play Disc until it's implemented. I guess I'm sticking with Holy forever.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/17/2013 05:31 PMPosted by Healar

25man maybe, be in 10men offensive healing may not be needed. Disc have way many options for covering single target healing.

Do you even raid?

He does, according to his armory. He's cleared Normal. He's about as progressed as my raid team is, actually.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

Do you even raid?

He does, according to his armory. He's cleared Normal. He's about as progressed as my raid team is, actually.

So many armory assault. I haven't been raiding with a guild for 3 weeks, happy?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/17/2013 05:43 PMPosted by Shadowfask
So many armory assault. I haven't been raiding with a guild for 3 weeks, happy?

I realize that English is probably not your first language, but I want you to go back and re-read what I posted. It was not an attack on you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
So right now, other than PoM, the only true AoE healing tool for Disc is what will soon be a PoH that no longer procs DA.

Disc's AoE situation has been funky and needed improvement for quite a while. In fact, I recall someone I know very well saying this back in August:

Disc probably does need another raid heal in addition to PoH. I think they were onto something with converting Holy Nova to a Disc raid heal (although it would need a different name and graphic): a 10-yard-range spammable instant priest-centered smart heal with a small DA effect and possibly an Atonement-proccing damage effect would rock. Call it Sparkling Crane Kick.

Of course, what happened is that the situation was not addressed, and instead the developers went nuts with what turned out to be a massive buff to PoH/DA. This, along with the other buffs, simply papered over the issue. Again, it (the upcoming 5.2 nerf to PoH) may not be a terrible problem in 25 man raids where 5 other healers can pull people out of the fire, but in 10 man raids, it could be a problem.

To be honest, I almost think it could be fixed with an actual healing cooldown. Leave PoH weak, the way it is, but give Disc back Divine Hymn maybe.
Edited by Taymage on 1/17/2013 6:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/17/2013 04:21 PMPosted by Tiriél
That is not an AOE spell and you know it. It's a single target smart heal that's calculating each volley separately. But it's not an AOE and you shouldn't keep referring to it as one.

It heals three low health targets just like Chain Heal. I suppose technically an 'AoE' heal is one that hits areas rather than individuals - which precludes every heal Priests throw except Holy Word: Sanctuary.
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 06:04 PMPosted by Medeyn
That is not an AOE spell and you know it. It's a single target smart heal that's calculating each volley separately. But it's not an AOE and you shouldn't keep referring to it as one.

It heals three low health targets just like Chain Heal. I suppose technically an 'AoE' heal is one that hits areas rather than individuals - which precludes every heal Priests throw except Holy Word: Sanctuary.

Well, it only heals one low health target, the other two are the Priest and his target. So it's kind of an AoE, but two of targets are chosen while the third is a smart heal. I'd consider it to be an AoE, but it's not enough to be useful for healing raid wide damage.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
So I guess glyph of binding heal is an AoE heal e: wow you already covered that, but really, Penance and glyphed Binding Heal aren't even remotely respectable AoEs and PoM is decent but still prone to sniping or just flat-out being wasted

We really do need something less clunky than PoH especially now that it doesn't auto-proc DA.
Edited by Dysrhythmia on 1/17/2013 6:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/17/2013 06:04 PMPosted by Medeyn

Um, no. While I agree that Binding Heal is an AOE heal of sorts, Penance Atonement is not.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
GC has gone from

"We might in the future add another AE heal for Disc (I think you can make a compelling argument that in this day and age, healers need a variety of interesting AE heals and maybe only a couple of ST heals, while healer design for years went in the opposite direction) but that's not the sort of thing we want to drop on you in the middle of an expansion."

to

"We're not going to change (Prayer of Healing) for 5.2. We're probably not going to change it for 5.3. But I sense the writing on the wall here that it won't last much longer. I can imagine a future iteration where Prayer of Healing is the AE equivalent of Gheal and Circle of Healing is the AE equivalent of Flash Heal. (Yes, I know Disc doesn't have CoH - I'm in a really theoretical space here.)"

So hold out hope.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
GC has gone from

"We might in the future add another AE heal for Disc (I think you can make a compelling argument that in this day and age, healers need a variety of interesting AE heals and maybe only a couple of ST heals, while healer design for years went in the opposite direction) but that's not the sort of thing we want to drop on you in the middle of an expansion."

to

"We're not going to change (Prayer of Healing) for 5.2. We're probably not going to change it for 5.3. But I sense the writing on the wall here that it won't last much longer. I can imagine a future iteration where Prayer of Healing is the AE equivalent of Gheal and Circle of Healing is the AE equivalent of Flash Heal. (Yes, I know Disc doesn't have CoH - I'm in a really theoretical space here.)"

So hold out hope.

That makes me feel slightly better, I suppose.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
but that's not the sort of thing we want to drop on you in the middle of an expansion

This kind of comment infuriates me. They're constantly revamping spells left and right, stop acting like we're children who don't know how to play the Priest class. They're so concerned about giving us new healing tools yet their perfectly fine with changing something we've had for a very long time.

Like I said in the PTR thread, he wants to remove auto DA out of PoH fine, but don't half @$$ it and give us/adjust our AoE healing toolkit so that we don't have to spam PoH religiously.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
The last time I recall blizzard not hating priests and giving them crappy stuff compared to other heals was during wrath
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
01/17/2013 08:27 PMPosted by Bloodydeekay
The last time I recall blizzard not hating priests and giving them crappy stuff compared to other heals was during wrath

And Classic, where they were basically the only non-gimmick healer.

And TBC where pre-CoH nerf they were again by far the strongest healer.

Come to think of it in Cataclysm and MoP disc almost immediately spiralled out of control into an overpowered absorb machine and Holy was also stellar on H Spine and etc.

So basically only the very beginning of T11 were healing priests actually marginalized.
Edited by Mahourai on 1/17/2013 8:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/17/2013 08:43 PMPosted by Mahourai

Come to think of it in Cataclysm and MoP disc almost immediately spiralled out of control into an overpowered absorb machine and Holy was also stellar on H Spine and etc.

So basically only the very beginning of T11 were healing priests actually marginalized.

Actually, Holy Priests were almost never brought in ICC during progression, because Disc was so much stronger and Holy at the time was sort of like a very gimpy Resto Druid. Holy Priests, for the most part, did not raid Firelands, because they deliberately did not put any Spirit gear into the raid tier beyond actual tier pieces, and Holy was the most Spirit-dependent spec in the game at the time. Prior to Wrath, Disc wasn't really even a viable raiding spec outside of gimmick fights, and the token Priest with enough talent points in Disc to provide the Spirit buff to the raid. During DS, at least for 10 man, the only fights where Holy had a real edge were Hagara (depending on your strat) and Warlord Zon'ozz. Disc simply brought more, and better, raid CDs for everything else - yes, even Spine (though Kaels will argue with me on this one). The effective health you could give to people with the debuff was a lifesaver.
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 08:43 PMPosted by Mahourai

Actually, the only time CoH was completely out of control was the very end of BC after patch 3.0, before WotLK hit. That's when CoH was turned into a smart heal but still had no cooldown. Before that, Holy wasn't overpowered, though Circle of Healing did make us strong at healing the melee group on fights that required it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
In all honesty, with the removal of DA from PoH and since they're unwilling to revamp Disc's toolkit anytime soon, I'd be happy if they simply increased the group range of PoH to 40 yards.
Edited by Ceddya on 1/18/2013 7:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/18/2013 07:07 AMPosted by Ceddya
In all honesty, with the removal of DA from PoH and since they're unwilling to revamp Disc's toolkit anytime soon, I'd be happy if they simply increased the group range of PoH to 40 yards.

Yes, please, thank you, and good day.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
What are your thoughts on the binding heal glyph? Useful for pve or useless? I'm excited for it because I personally use BH a lot when sh*t hits the fan.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/17/2013 09:22 PMPosted by Tiriél
Actually, Holy Priests were almost never brought in ICC during progression, because Disc was so much stronger and Holy at the time was sort of like a very gimpy Resto Druid.

Just because we weren't brought doesn't mean we weren't good. The problem was this "gimpy resto druid" misconception. People got that stuck in their heads, and the fact that Disc bubbles finally started showing up on Recount, and all of a sudden Holy was garbage. Except it wasn't.

(It is true that Disc was exceptional on a few fights, but Recount was overestimating PWS much of the time. And Holy played well - i.e. not Renew x 5/CoH wannabe resto druid style - was excellent. We just weren't a drop-in replacement for another class. Expecting us to be the druid for the evening was like expecting your shaman to be a paladin.)

Anyway, putting my ICC resentments aside...it's true that there have been very few times when both priest specs have been commonly understood to be on par with other healers. DS was one. Ulduar and ICC should have been two more, but people didn't understand Disc yet in Ulduar, and they didn't understand Holy in ICC. So really it's just t13 and t14. Maybe t9, but I think t9 was more a case of "we'll take anyone who's willing to walk into this godforsaken pit."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]