make gear cheaper as season progresses?

(Locked)

Community Manager
01/10/2013 08:56 PMPosted by Mytheral
If this sort of system was implemented, would it be beneficial to also add some sort of rating decay?

The MMR section of this blog should be of some interest to you: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7702178

A brief excerpt from the blog (best to read the whole thing for full comprehension though):
We’re currently working on a change to allow Team Ratings to grow faster over time, as long as you keep playing. We don’t have any specifics to share yet, but this correction will have the added benefit that players who continue playing will be capable of reaching higher Team Ratings, and therefore potential access to rewards, than someone who stops playing and sits on their rating.
90 Human Warrior
edit: deleted due to awesome blizzard post above me.
Edited by Arës on 1/11/2013 1:02 PM PST
90 Orc Death Knight
01/10/2013 06:55 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Why not add in a reduction in conquest points required to purchase gear as the season progresses? Like a 25 point deduction per week. That way casuals/people re rolling aren't left in the dust mid way through the season.

Stay strong! This is a subject that we've been giving a lot of thought to lately. We'll have more to report in the near future.

YAY!
90 Undead Warlock
Another carebear move ...they raised the CP cap significantly to make it easier already.
100 Undead Rogue
Why not add in a reduction in conquest points required to purchase gear as the season progresses? Like a 25 point deduction per week. That way casuals/people re rolling aren't left in the dust mid way through the season.

Stay strong! This is a subject that we've been giving a lot of thought to lately. We'll have more to report in the near future.

Going to ruin pvp more?
100 Blood Elf Death Knight

HOLY !@#$ A BLUE POST IN THE ARENA FORUMS!
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Why not just have a season cap instead of a weekly cap? The season can can go up every week. So if you put in the time you can catch up. The time should be all the same.

Why would someone wait a couple months and not participate just to get the cheaper gear have way through the season? That doesn't make any sense. PvPers are still going to start capping their mains as soon as they can since I'd assume even with price decay you'd be able to get almost a full set before the decay started to take effect.

This isn't to help people with low rating either, this is to help alts. Cata was a nightmare trying to gear up an alt, especially with how ridiculous the number bloat has gotten with stats, even having 2-3 more pieces than someone else gives you a huge advantage. This is why they're just going to lower the cost on the gear. If they just increased the cap then alts would just have to fight through that many more games with crappy gear while getting boned just because they chose to level a different toon first.

They either need to make the gear easier to get as the season goes on or they need to make gear not so friggen important.

My point goes to lessening time to gear alts:

Ok, so let's say I only have one character I play. Ever. That's jsut the way I am. There are many people like that. Anyway; It takes me X amount of time to get my full conquest gear setup.

You are Player B, and this is your second character, aka your alt. Now, let's say for arguement's sake Blizzard implemented something where alt's gear up faster. You gear this one up, and low and behold it bcomes your main. You spent X/2 lets say, to get your full conquest gear.

My question: How would that be fair? Granted you geared up another player, but to what extent? say full Malevolent? Half Malevolent? What is the line in the sand you'd have to draw to make the timeline equal out? If it's not based on the gear you've attained, what would it be based off of? Time spent playing?

It could work in theory, for sure, however I just don't see anything other than Blizzard lowering costs of gear all around as it would seem too much of a hassle to please everyone...or as many as possible.

If we were talking about Glorious Conquest gear or something that required skill to get I'd agree with you that it'd be annoying to put in all the work and effort only to have someone get it way easier. The thing is that any moron who knows how to queue for a bg can get full conquest gear eventually and will get it eventually. And even if you are actively trying to get it I'd hardly call BG's work lol. I mean jeeze you can afk your way to full conquest, it's an absolute joke now.

To your point about it being fair. Is it fair that Blizz puts so much weight on gear that you'll beat me 9 times out of 10 for the sole reason that you started gearing a month before me? That's absolute crap. The only people who like the current system are people who rely on their gear to make them good. Players who are actually good, just want a more level playing field, we'll let our skill do the rest.
86 Blood Elf Paladin
^--- The gear thing is really obvious if you just fight a person with a PvP weapon and full PvP blues while you're in full PvP blues and no PvP weapon. I don't even wanna think about fully upgraded Malev.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
i know it will never happen, but why not just normalize all gear?

then matches will be decided by skill and not who has better weapons! :D

Hey, they accomplished it with Challenge Modes... In all fairness normalizing everyone's gear to a certain ilvl would be a good start. Then getting T1 and T2 will be all about transmogs, while you still have to tweak the basic pvp gear you can show your prowess. There wouldn't be any outgearing, pvp gear wouldn't be desired/required for raids, and you can even potentially achieve balance in pvp. How many problems could be alleviated just by doing this? But I'm certain it will just remain an arms race, and many would be upset because they prefer to outgear to dominate.
90 Tauren Paladin
i know it will never happen, but why not just normalize all gear?

then matches will be decided by skill and not who has better weapons! :D

Hey, they accomplished it with Challenge Modes... In all fairness normalizing everyone's gear to a certain ilvl would be a good start. Then getting T1 and T2 will be all about transmogs, while you still have to tweak the basic pvp gear you can show your prowess. There wouldn't be any outgearing, pvp gear wouldn't be desired/required for raids, and you can even potentially achieve balance in pvp. How many problems could be alleviated just by doing this? But I'm certain it will just remain an arms race, and many would be upset because they prefer to outgear to dominate.

You'll find that People will find something else to QQ about, but I do like the idea. I have used it several times myself in the battleground forums.
90 Night Elf Druid
01/10/2013 08:46 PMPosted by Baelic
Ok, then perhaps this should be done for VP gear as well... it's only fair right?

Yeah you know what else would be fair if T2 weapons were brought down to a lower rating as the season progressed kind of like how Blizzard Nerfs every raid encounter until even faceroll guilds can get there heroic items. Nothing is fair in Warcraft at least not unless you Wintrade or Pay for rating then this game is balanced!
90 Undead Mage

If you do that for conquest gear, shouldn't you do that for valor gear also?
90 Human Warrior

My point goes to lessening time to gear alts:

Ok, so let's say I only have one character I play. Ever. That's jsut the way I am. There are many people like that. Anyway; It takes me X amount of time to get my full conquest gear setup.

You are Player B, and this is your second character, aka your alt. Now, let's say for arguement's sake Blizzard implemented something where alt's gear up faster. You gear this one up, and low and behold it bcomes your main. You spent X/2 lets say, to get your full conquest gear.

My question: How would that be fair? Granted you geared up another player, but to what extent? say full Malevolent? Half Malevolent? What is the line in the sand you'd have to draw to make the timeline equal out? If it's not based on the gear you've attained, what would it be based off of? Time spent playing?

It could work in theory, for sure, however I just don't see anything other than Blizzard lowering costs of gear all around as it would seem too much of a hassle to please everyone...or as many as possible.

If we were talking about Glorious Conquest gear or something that required skill to get I'd agree with you that it'd be annoying to put in all the work and effort only to have someone get it way easier. The thing is that any moron who knows how to queue for a bg can get full conquest gear eventually and will get it eventually. And even if you are actively trying to get it I'd hardly call BG's work lol. I mean jeeze you can afk your way to full conquest, it's an absolute joke now.

To your point about it being fair. Is it fair that Blizz puts so much weight on gear that you'll beat me 9 times out of 10 for the sole reason that you started gearing a month before me? That's absolute crap. The only people who like the current system are people who rely on their gear to make them good. Players who are actually good, just want a more level playing field, we'll let our skill do the rest.

Right on Megatron.
90 Human Mage
01/10/2013 03:47 PMPosted by Opticdino

Include honor gear too. We need to PVP to get honor, but with only a couple PVP pieces, the prospect of rolling into a BG/Arena does not sound fun when you often come up against full conquest-geared players. I actually *want* to PVP at 90 (I never really got into it before), but since I started the xpac late, I don't even want to queue for BGs now >.>

Even SWTOR has a system to try and not leave new players incredibly behind in PVP, by giving a free full set of PVP gear when you hit max level (the gear is comparable to the crafted gear in WoW in terms of relative power) - also includes a weapon, which irks me because I'm pretty sure I can't even get enough points to buy a pvp weapon before this season is over.

Since Blizzard decided to put a TON of pvp-power on weapons, their importance is extremely high and I won't be able to buy one for several weeks... why no Honor weapons for purchase? Make them 4,000 honor so you can't just run 1 BG and buy it, but don't put it behind huge hurdles like the CP weapons currently are. Make them 458s like honor gear so they're still decent (that pvp-power) without forcing PVE players into PVP to get a better starter weapon for raiding.

Sometimes I seriously wonder how the Blizz playtesters/QA guys and devs can be so short-sighted...
100 Undead Warlock
Yeah why should people have to earn there gear? Why should we reward the people who play more? Seriously this is a DUMB idea!
90 Goblin Rogue
So why should others have to work less or play less to get the same rewards that I earned because I am a pvp player?

I mean....darn....maybe I should get free gear from raids later in the expansion without having to roll on it because I didn't raid as much as the pve players at the beginning?
1 Human Paladin
Stop dragging this nonsense out that help is on the way.
Season total conq 20k , Season total horor(honor) 600k
This issue should've been addressed along time ago and 1 should obtain the 'insane title ' to fully gear via the random que system
90 Tauren Warrior
Thank you for your response. At least we know that there is life out there. Although the response is somewhat late, I am still grateful.

Other than the blog that you have linked from October, is there anything else you can "hint" to us that is more recent that we can possibly expect in the near future?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]