Windlord Dispelling/Purging Question

90 Orc Shaman
Hi there, I just wanted to ask what you guys thought of an issue my guild had this evening regarding Windlords ads.

Basically we were 3 healing the encounter and had assigned the Priests to rotate Mass Dispel to clear the ad buffs asap. Unfortunately there were times where they did not do it quickly enough or they had Mass Dispel on CD, so I would quickly tab through the mobs and purge them off.

We did not have healers assigned to anyone in particular, we were basically cross-healing. Before I tab purged I would ensure the tanks Earth Shield was refreshed, Healing Stream Totem was refreshed, and then I would toss a Riptide on the tank for good measure.

The problem arose after the raid when they were analyzing the logs and two of my guildmates criticized me for purging the buffs off. They went on to explain that it was inefficient, that it was a poor decision on my part, and because I was doing this it was likely my fault when the tanks HP dipped or when the tank died.

From my point of view I felt as though I went the extra mile to ensure the mobs were taken care of in a timely fashion, and I feel this criticism is unwarranted considering there were two other healers in the raid.

I'm looking for another opinion on this matter, and I'm wondering what the best method would be to handle this task.

Thanks in advance.
Edited by Dezu on 1/14/2013 2:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Ummm... 2 healers should be way more than enough to keep 2 tanks up... Perhaps they're bad and simply blaming you for their shortcomings?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
01/14/2013 02:21 AMPosted by Keirisonis
Ummm... 2 healers should be way more than enough to keep 2 tanks up... Perhaps they're bad and simply blaming you for their shortcomings?

They chose to use one tank and three healers for the encounter. What would you recommend?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/14/2013 02:24 AMPosted by Dezu

They chose to use one tank and three healers for the encounter. What would you recommend?

Personally, I'd ask some of the regulars in here. Do you have a log of the fight? That would be enough to show us if the other healers just aren't any good or if, indeed, it is your purging that's causing it.(highly unlikely.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Did the boss die?

More to the point, we're pretty lax on dispelling the debuffs, but we prioritize the menders first, so it's only an issue for the first part of the fight. As long as your Disc Priest is on the ball bubbling people targeted by the two that charge, you shouldn't have any issues.

But, seriously, did they complain about you purging? o_O

With that said, if you were specifically focusing a tank and that was your job, then yes, it's your fault if he goes squish (barring forgetting his own CDs, anyway). But if it wasn't your tank, then I don't see how it is your fault.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
01/14/2013 02:29 AMPosted by Keirisonis

Personally, I'd ask some of the regulars in here. Do you have a log of the fight? That would be enough to show us if the other healers just aren't any good or if, indeed, it is your purging that's causing it.(highly unlikely.)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/wc1hyb87fw4xy1r0/
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Did the boss die?

More to the point, we're pretty lax on dispelling the debuffs, but we prioritize the menders first, so it's only an issue for the first part of the fight. As long as your Disc Priest is on the ball bubbling people targeted by the two that charge, you shouldn't have any issues.

But, seriously, did they complain about you purging? o_O

With that said, if you were specifically focusing a tank and that was your job, then yes, it's your fault if he goes squish (barring forgetting his own CDs, anyway). But if it wasn't your tank, then I don't see how it is your fault.

We did not beat the boss however we got him down to 3% on one attempt. Also, I was not specifically assigned to heal the tank.
Edited by Dezu on 1/14/2013 3:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Your priests suck.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-jpunbjdrblo4ef0b/sum/healingDone/?s=2596&e=3012

That's my log from tonight. If your Disc Priest can't abuse the hell out of Spirit Shell, I don't know what to tell you. I'm seeing people dying to Rain of Blades, I'm seeing people die to Wind Bombs (that's people being just plain stupid right there). People standing in the Whirling Blade. When your tanks ARE dying, it's obvious from the size of the hits that they're either a) not using CDs correctly or b) there's stacks of the debuff on Mel'jarak.

If tanks are dying regularly, it sounds like your signals are getting crossed. Work out ahead of time who is doing what insofar as which healer is focusing which tank and who will be your floater (since you're three healing it like my guild does).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
If tanks are dying regularly, it sounds like your signals are getting crossed. Work out ahead of time who is doing what insofar as which healer is focusing which tank and who will be your floater (since you're three healing it like my guild does).

The main issue seemed to be mistakes like people stepping into bombs, CC getting away, and missed interrupts. Normally my HPS isn't that low but it didn't really feel like much damage was going out with the exception of the spike damage during Rain of Blades.

Edit: In the future I will ensure to work out assignments so that nothing is assumed, or that miscommunication does not occur.
Edited by Dezu on 1/14/2013 3:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/14/2013 02:43 AMPosted by Dezu
The main issue seemed to be mistakes like people stepping into bombs, CC getting away, and missed interrupts. Normally my HPS isn't that low but it didn't really feel like much damage was going out with the exception of the spike damage during Rain of Blades.

You should never be able to beat a Disc Priest on that fight. Your Disc Priest is not making good use of Spirit Shell, which is a shame because there are clear timers on the fight itself. The fact that y'all are losing people to rain of blades is just kind of astounding to me.

But yeah, I don't see how you purging was hurting the situation.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
01/14/2013 02:44 AMPosted by Tiriél

Thank you, I didn't think so either. I appreciate the feedback.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/14/2013 02:39 AMPosted by Tiriél
Your priests suck

I wholeheartedly agree. The disc or Dezu (the op) should be assigned tank healing. (with some switching around as needed to get cds up for rain of blades.

The holy priest's spell choice is terrible. Cascade shouldn't be his top heal, if he's doing it right.

Basically... those 2 need to learn to play.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I'm assuming these are your most recent logs....

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/wc1hyb87fw4xy1r0/

Just to pick one...

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/wc1hyb87fw4xy1r0/deaths/?s=3846&e=4065

Within about 3 seconds your tank took over 540k damage. He had very little healing outside of self-healing in that period of time... Most of it was from HoT's I believe. I'm not really sure what the deal was here. But yes, if you had 2 healers dispelling and one running from something it could be called poor judgement on the part of the 2 healers dispelling.

I believe most normal mode strategies CC 2 menders correct? We CC 1 of each on heroic and I handle the bulk of the dispels. In general I keep it off the boss at all times and never let the adds go above 1 or at most 2 stacks. We do 2 tank it though. It looks like you're ccing two trappers and going trappers > menders > blademasters. This is fine too.

You don't want to let the boss have stacks because he can hit pretty hard and be bursty, particularly when he is angry after you teabag his buddies. It's equally important to keep the buff off of him during rain of blades because the damage is also boosted by quickening. The menders like to be clever and apply it just before RoB (it happens so often you can pretty much bet on it).

If you're 1 tanking I'd imagine it would be a bigger deal.... But with 2 Priests dispelling you shouldn't have to do so at all. With 1 or even 2 menders free 2 Priests should be able to handle it alone.

The fight is doable with 1 tank but if you have huge issues with tank deaths when everything else seems to be executed properly I would recommend 2 tanking it. The tank damage will be much easier to handle.

It looks like your wipes on your longer pulls aren't related to tank deaths. They are from people standing in bad things or getting wailed by RoB. I'd find a way to fix the first issue as your first course of action. The second issue shouldn't be a problem with a Disc Priest but the one in the logs doesn't seem to be using SS very effectively. He needs to fix that.
Edited by Volios on 1/14/2013 3:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
01/14/2013 03:03 AMPosted by Volios
It looks like your wipes on your longer pulls aren't related to tank deaths. They are from people standing in bad things or getting wailed by RoB. I'd find a way to fix the first issue as your first course of action.

I agree, thanks for having a look.
Edited by Dezu on 1/14/2013 3:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
01/14/2013 02:44 AMPosted by Tiriél

You should never be able to beat a Disc Priest on that fight. Your Disc Priest is not making good use of Spirit Shell, which is a shame because there are clear timers on the fight itself. The fact that y'all are losing people to rain of blades is just kind of astounding to me.

Were the timers fixed in a recent DBM update or is it just a cooldown timer? I wasted a Spirit Shell last night because it took him about 20 seconds after the timer ended to actually cast Rain of Blades.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/14/2013 03:23 AMPosted by Dysrhythmia
Were the timers fixed in a recent DBM update or is it just a cooldown timer? I wasted a Spirit Shell last night because it took him about 20 seconds after the timer ended to actually cast Rain of Blades.
]

It's a Choose to use, not a strict, every x seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/14/2013 02:24 AMPosted by Dezu

We used 1 tank 3 healers. On our kill, I was running my resto shammy and purged the boss, while our shadow priest mass dispelled. Easy peasy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Hi there, I just wanted to ask what you guys thought of an issue my guild had this evening regarding Windlords ads.

Basically we were 3 healing the encounter and had assigned the Priests to rotate Mass Dispel to clear the ad buffs asap. Unfortunately there were times where they did not do it quickly enough or they had Mass Dispel on CD, so I would quickly tab through the mobs and purge them off.

We did not have healers assigned to anyone in particular, we were basically cross-healing. Before I tab purged I would ensure the tanks Earth Shield was refreshed, Healing Stream Totem was refreshed, and then I would toss a Riptide on the tank for good measure.

The problem arose after the raid when they were analyzing the logs and two of my guildmates criticized me for purging the buffs off. They went on to explain that it was inefficient, that it was a poor decision on my part, and because I was doing this it was likely my fault when the tanks HP dipped or when the tank died.

From my point of view I felt as though I went the extra mile to ensure the mobs were taken care of in a timely fashion, and I feel this criticism is unwarranted considering there were two other healers in the raid.

I'm looking for another opinion on this matter, and I'm wondering what the best method would be to handle this task.

Thanks in advance.

you're in a barely progressed guild with 2 priests that have no idea what is going on around them and a raid group with people that place the blame on someone for picking up the other healers' slack?

why you are in that guild i dont know. hopefully you're just there for friends.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It only takes one priest per active battle-mender to mass dispel the buff. If you have 2 priests rotating and you're still having to purge, (1) they're doing it wrong (the CD lines up pretty nicely with MD - I've literally never had an issue unless I screwed up) and (2) your CCers fail (you should never have more than one active battle-mender).

Were you wrong for purging? Yes, but not because you should have healed through it. You should have just let the raid wipe until the priests and CCers unflucked themselves.
Edited by Kaels on 1/14/2013 6:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
01/14/2013 03:23 AMPosted by Dysrhythmia

The timing gets all weird when he transitions to p2. It either gets reset or delayed for whatever reason. You'll have to improvise in this situation.
Edited by Volios on 1/14/2013 7:00 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]