Healing addon - Grid, Vuhdo, or Healbot?

80 Troll Mage
Starting a healer, which addon should I opt for?
Edited by Vocalyze on 1/15/2013 10:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Neither. Use Vuhdo.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Mage
01/15/2013 10:38 PMPosted by Evannder
Neither. Use Vuhdo.

Added it to the title, any particular reason why it's better?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/15/2013 10:43 PMPosted by Vocalyze
any particular reason why it's better?
. It's probably the middle ground between healbot (easy to use out of the box but lacks some of the bells and whistles) versus grid+clique (requires quite a bit of config and additional addons to get it set up for healing).

Honestly all three are good and it comes down to what you prefer/what you are looking for in a healing addon and how comfortable you are with configuring. There are good tutorials out there for vuhdo which I recommend if you try it as the options panels are not intuitive.

The more interesting question, is what are you looking for in a healing addon? Do you want click to cast? Do you want to mouseover heal? Would you like it to show you the best target for a limited distance aoe heal? Do you want to see debuffs? What kind of debuffs do you want to see? Do you want to see when tanks are using their cooldowns? Do you want to see stacks or durations for buffs/debuffs?

Some of the above you can get from the Blizzard raid frames, some of it you'll need an addon for.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Mage

- Mouseover heal
- Show you the best target for a limited distance aoe heal
- What kind of debuffs are important?
- Stacks or durations for buffs/debuffs

All of these sound particularly preferred, will Vuhdo give me the options for these? Also, I'm not really sure what debuffs I should look out for as a healer (I think I'll be going Paladin, btw).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yes vuhdo will give you all of these. Vuhdo lets you tell it which debufs to show you (e.g. only ones you can dispel, only ones which do damage - ignores ones which slow movement speed or are of very short duration, etc). Which ones you choose depend on what you are healing (heroics, raids, pvp).
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I would throw in the seldom mentioned Grid2 as a great Raid Frames addon to look at.

Really, the best option is to explore the different options available to you and find what works best for you. It doesn't come down to one addon being better than another, they are all generally capable of the same functionality.
If you like casting with mouse buttons, you can get clique and use that with any frames.
If you like mouseovers you can write your own or use an addon to generate them.
After that it comes down to how you like your information presented to you and which addon makes it easiest.

For me, it's Grid2 because of how it can show shields as well as creating custom indicators while not requiring all the hassle of grid + all the addons.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I love Grid2. It does pretty much everything Vuhdo does (aside from key/mouse bindings and private tanks) but is more flexible, can look much nicer, and has dramatically (dramatically) better memory and CPU efficiency for the same behaviours. I also like the config menu much better.

I can't think of any real reason to use Grid or Healbot unless you already have one of them set up and are used to it. They obviously work fine and lots of people heal with them at all levels of progression, I just don't know why you'd pick either of them over Grid2 and Vuhdo.

I do sort of understand picking Vuhdo over Grid2 if you like the config menu better. Try both of them and see.

01/15/2013 11:31 PMPosted by Evry
f you like casting with mouse buttons, you can get clique and use that with any frames.

Slight correction: You *cannot* use Clique with Healbot.
Edited by Kaels on 1/16/2013 12:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
01/16/2013 12:37 AMPosted by Kaels
Slight correction: You *cannot* use Clique with Healbot.

Really? well, +1 reason to not use Healbot.
I'm tired of telling healers to add Closed Circuit to healbot.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Try out Grid2 and Vuhdo to see which one you like better. I am using Grid + mouseover macros, hoping to jump to Grid2 soon when i'm not so lazy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
One of the greatest features of Vuhdo is that when someone is out of range, it will tell you what direction they are in.

There are a bunch of Vuhdo setup videos on youtube that you can go watch for more info on the addon.
Edited by Evannder on 1/16/2013 6:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I think all three ( and the default raid frames with clique ) provide the same basic functionality. I use Vuhdo because I think it's the most polished. Vuhdo also lets you see a persons role and break out tanks into their own group while healbot does neither of these things.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Grid 2
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I started with healbot, moved to vuhdo during one of healbots broken phases. And it works great. Love it. I've tried grid+ clique but never really liked it much.
Reply Quote
22 Gnome Warrior
I have used Healbot for a long time. Straight forward to customize. Supports macros, cleansing alerts. Everything one really needs.

It takes time to learn any click bar addon, so pick one and stick with it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I still use Healium (+clique) despite most people not liking it. Vuhdo's a great option if you like fussing with it.

I will use Grid for 25 and 40 mans. But it's ugly. oh so ugly.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
VUHDO MON
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I am a huge VuhDo fan. Love the addon.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I still use Healium (+clique) despite most people not liking it. Vuhdo's a great option if you like fussing with it.

I will use Grid for 25 and 40 mans. But it's ugly. oh so ugly.

Why do you use Healium AND Clique? I don't understand why you would use Helium over another bar addon if you're using Clique? I don't understand how that could be uglier than Grid?

Also, you do know you can customize Grid and make it look pretty, right?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Mouseovers and Blizz ui gogo
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]