Removing Flying Mounts Part II

01/16/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Bashiok
In spite of your firm belief that you feel flying mounts are detrimental to gameplay

No one ever said they are detrimental to gameplay, or they're being removed, or we hate flying mounts, or any of the other things people have inferred for no good reason. What I said was that experiencing a world directly from your character to the earth beneath it, and approaching questing content, is not served well by being able to lift off and set down wherever you like. In most cases we've relegated 'non-flying' to new characters experiencing an expansion for the first time, and then sometime later given them a way to give their alts flying in a quicker manner. In some cases, such as the Isle of Quel'danas back in BC, and now on the 5.2 Thunder King island, we've made a conscious effort to design a no-flying area to present that content in a different, and we believe, more intimate way. That's our job as game designers and world creators to define the restrictions and rules to create what we feel crafts the best experience. You can disagree with the restrictions and rules that define what World of Warcraft is, and we can have a conversation on the pros and cons (and certainly there are both), but let's be careful not to take things out of context and jump to extremes.

LOL. This whole 'flying going away' all started up because of an off-hand comment from GC on twitter. People constantly 'jump to extremes' in this community. :/

I still disagree with the decision of no flying in the new daily hub, but I will give it a chance before I make a final decision on whether I agree with it or not...from my personal enjoyment perspective. Although, I guess alot of that will have to do with if the dailies are enjoyable themselves or not.

We shall see.....
11 Draenei Paladin
such as the Isle of Quel'danas back in BC, and now on the 5.2 Thunder King island

Will Thunder King Island be similar to the Molten Front daily area in Mount Hyjal in that a lot of the mobs will not aggro on to you unless you attack them first? Because despite the fact we were not allowed to fly in that area it was well enough designed to let it slide (mostly).
90 Worgen Druid
In spite of your firm belief that you feel flying mounts are detrimental to gameplay

No one ever said they are detrimental to gameplay, or they're being removed, or we hate flying mounts, or any of the other things people have inferred for no good reason. What I said was that experiencing a world directly from your character to the earth beneath it, and approaching questing content, is not served well by being able to lift off and set down wherever you like. In most cases we've relegated 'non-flying' to new characters experiencing an expansion for the first time, and then sometime later given them a way to give their alts flying in a quicker manner. In some cases, such as the Isle of Quel'danas back in BC, and now on the 5.2 Thunder King island, we've made a conscious effort to design a no-flying area to present that content in a different, and we believe, more intimate way. That's our job as game designers and world creators to define the restrictions and rules to create what we feel crafts the best experience. You can disagree with the restrictions and rules that define what World of Warcraft is, and we can have a conversation on the pros and cons (and certainly there are both), but let's be careful not to take things out of context and jump to extremes.

translation we want to force more pvp on everbody
10 Troll Warlock
present that content in a different, and we believe, more intimate way.
I'm taking your content out to dinner, not sleeping with it. Or at least that's what I think whenever people tell me about video game intimacy. At least, that's when I don't think, "I'm not taking your content to Goldshire on Moonguard." first. Because awkward metaphors are that much more awkward whenever Goldshire and Moonguard are mentioned.
12 Pandaren Monk
take things out of context

jump to extremes

You must be in the wrong forums. Neither of those things ever happen around here.
100 Blood Elf Mage
01/16/2013 02:14 PMPosted by Martei

Hmm no, I don't think that's quite it...
This is not specific to PvP servers, people on RP and PvE servers will also not be able to fly, so that translation doesn't seem valid to me. I think he means exactly what he said, that Blizz wants people to experience the new areas better. Feel free to complain more, though.
100 Night Elf Warrior

You can't please everyone. I am very happy to have a no-fly zone, and would love to see more of this in the future.
90 Pandaren Hunter
Where the hell is this post coming from? WoW would lose 9 million out of its 9.1 million subscribers if they did that.

Seriously, where the hell did this come from? Because there is zero possibility of this happening.
90 Pandaren Hunter
01/16/2013 02:23 PMPosted by Charax

You can't please everyone. I am very happy to have a no-fly zone, and would love to see more of this in the future.

You're right, they can't please everyone. I would like to see ground mounts only in Pandaria but that will never happen. So I fly low to the ground and enjoy the scenery. The topic itself of removing flying mounts is just idiotic because it will never happen.
100 Human Paladin
01/16/2013 02:14 PMPosted by Martei

You can always re-roll on a PvE realm, then no one is forcing anything on you.
90 Troll Mage
Where the hell is this post coming from? WoW would lose 9 million out of its 9.1 million subscribers if they did that.

Seriously, where the hell did this come from? Because there is zero possibility of this happening.

Are you meaning taking away flying from the new zone? Because that IS happening. And no, 9 million people will not quit over it.
90 Worgen Death Knight

This is maybe one of the last straws for me - Pandaria was horrid having to go on the ground, I hate CRZ, I am angry at the removal - even temporary of the upgrade vendors and now this. None of these changes make the game *fun* for me - I see it as catering to PVP'ers and raiders - I am neither, just a casual player. At least allow tomes for flying in Pandaria for alts of people who have had to slog thru that mess once!
90 Draenei Priest
In some cases, such as the Isle of Quel'danas back in BC, and now on the 5.2 Thunder King island, we've made a conscious effort to design a no-flying area to present that content in a different, and we believe, more intimate way.

And I shall be making the conscious effort to not do these new dailies. I already slogged my way to ninety (three times even) and bought my flying, so no fly zones are a no-go zone for this girl.
and im sure they will eventually put ...... ANOTHER....... flight cost over the pandaran flight to fly in this area... which will be an arm and leg to buy
100 Tauren Warrior
The #1 reason SWTOR was unbearable for me was lack of flying mounts... absolutely terrible way to get you to "experience the world".

If you want me to experience certain mobs or pieces of the world, just give me an objective to complete around them... random aggro while running to a destination is not compelling game play.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]