Removing Flying Mounts Part II

60 Human Death Knight
01/16/2013 02:14 PMPosted by Martei
translation we want to force more pvp on everbody

Is it a flagged zone like wintergrasp? Because otherwise perhaps you've chosen the wrong type of server...
How again exactly does a ground mount instead of flying improve the experience of game play on a pve server? I seem to have missed that.

I see no difference in game play except the irritation of fighting too many of the same mobs just to get from place to place. Over and over.

I enjoy the scenery when I have time to look at it, from my flying mount.
90 Orc Hunter
01/16/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Bashiok
In spite of your firm belief that you feel flying mounts are detrimental to gameplay

No one ever said they are detrimental to gameplay, or they're being removed, or we hate flying mounts, or any of the other things people have inferred for no good reason. What I said was that experiencing a world directly from your character to the earth beneath it, and approaching questing content, is not served well by being able to lift off and set down wherever you like. In most cases we've relegated 'non-flying' to new characters experiencing an expansion for the first time, and then sometime later given them a way to give their alts flying in a quicker manner. In some cases, such as the Isle of Quel'danas back in BC, and now on the 5.2 Thunder King island, we've made a conscious effort to design a no-flying area to present that content in a different, and we believe, more intimate way. That's our job as game designers and world creators to define the restrictions and rules to create what we feel crafts the best experience. You can disagree with the restrictions and rules that define what World of Warcraft is, and we can have a conversation on the pros and cons (and certainly there are both), but let's be careful not to take things out of context and jump to extremes.

I don't think people are jumping to extremes. You stated very clearly that the developers felt ground mounts were the way to go in making it more intimate...not sure what that means when talking about a quest hub where for all intents and purposes, people will do the SAME quests for weeks until they get the rep desired for the items they desire, and then most likely never do it again.

You had hundreds of posts by people stating how much they hate questing and DO NOT see it as content, but rather an ends to a means, and therefore flying makes said time in game go FASTER.

If you would stop approaching dailies as actual content and make some unique content that is fun and people WANT to do it everyday, perhaps then there would not be so many complaints about "forcing" people to use ground mounts.

Though I didn't like GW2, one thing they did really well was area "events" where randomly players would be needed to fend off an attack by NPCs, and these "events" were quite rewarding. Having something like this where a player could loot an item that would give 1500 rep at the end would be a lot more fun then doing 10 dailies at 110rep each on a ground mount area, with mobs that knock you off your mount.

I think in a lot of ways the devs have brought some fun to MoP, in others, they have alienated their playerbase (CRZ and the hell that is Golden Lotus). I feel this ground mount issue is going to alienate the playerbase unless there is such a depth and uniqueness to the experience that each and every day players are dying to return to the Isle.
11 Draenei Paladin
01/16/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Nephegar
At least allow tomes for flying in Pandaria for alts of people who have had to slog thru that mess once!

I have a thread going here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7591981678?page=9#175

on that very subject.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
personally, i liked having to explore the old fashioned way myself.
Guess thats me though.
100 Worgen Hunter
01/16/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Bashiok
What I said was that experiencing a world directly from your character to the earth beneath it, and approaching questing content, is not served well by being able to lift off and set down wherever you like

There is no "earth" beneath our feet. Pixels are pixels are pixels. Equating them to a "journey of discovery" type endeavor is self referential to say the least. No one is wandering through the terrain waiting to see what is waiting over the next hill anymore. What's lying over the next hill is exactly what was waiting over the last hill. In MoP's case those things LOOK GREAT, but there is no need to "discover" the tree trunk art work for an hour and half when you only have an hour and a half to play. What's waiting over the hill is another yellow question mark that sends us to collect 12 things, kill 12 things or burn 12 bodies. Once we're done and move over the next hill ... another yellow question mark, more tree trunks and, if there are enough others hanging around, no fast way to get out of the crowd.

As others have said, folks always have the option to not fly. The reason most don't at this point is that there is nothing compelling enough, mechanics-wise, to make them not want to. By the 4th expansion those able to actually see the level 85-90 content have seen it all and done it all before. Many times. Our seeing it many times is the reason the game still exists, the reason that the developers have a game to develop.

There is no viable reason, beyond slowing us down to stretch content, to limit those who DO want/need to be able to just "get there" and get the job at hand done so they can move on to the next grind.

Whether or not we can or cannot fly is the tip of the iceberg. What's most frustrating is the hubris being tossed about in MoP telling us how we SHOULD experience your game, as opposed to how many of us actually CAN experience your game. A very large disconnect with a size-able portion of your customer base is the result.
90 Worgen Death Knight
01/16/2013 02:53 PMPosted by Judgernaught
At least allow tomes for flying in Pandaria for alts of people who have had to slog thru that mess once!

I have a thread going here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7591981678?page=9#175

on that very subject.

Ty, I will go have a look !
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Don't give me this jazz about a "better game experience"; it wasn't better for me, I tell you, it just made me mad! The problem with the Mists cap on the accessibility to flying mounts is that so many end-gamers simply raided in the Cata dungeons until they were level 90, then they went to Pandaria already able to fly. So, it definitely was never a "level playing field": from Day One (okay, Day Two) we lost mobs & minerals to players on flying mounts. I had level 90 players swoop down and skin my own kill, right under my nose, within days of the roll out of Pandaria & I know players in my guild who played their tunes 24 hours a day to get to 90 for flight.

Of course, by now, flying mounts are everywhere ... so why is my little alt still trying to compete on the ground???? On a Sunday afternoon, it's impossible to get to a mob before some flying Hot Shot scoops it up. The only good thing about it is, if I wait long enough at the boss, sooner or later Hot Shot will come flying in; all I have to do is get one shot in & he'll will do the rest for me.

What really bugs me, though, is I think Blizz developers had to have known this was going to happen ... they play the high end game themselves! I'm a casual player and I saw it coming, why didnt they?
90 Worgen Death Knight
How again exactly does a ground mount instead of flying improve the experience of game play on a pve server? I seem to have missed that.

1) Because you experience the environment at ground level instead of flying over it.
2) The features of that environment are more dangerous because they cannot be flown over.
3) You are more likely to meet/interact with other players you see at ground level.

1) It's prettier from the air when things are not trying to kill you.
2) Dangerous = nothing more than annoying and time consuming when you are trying to get your quests done
3) I neither need nor want to meet/interact - all of this stuff is soloable - we have guilds for company
20 Night Elf Warrior
For everyone complaining about the game: JUST QUIT ALREADY! FFS, why come on here and complain at every little thing? No flying in the new zone is just fine, you still can't fly in Isle of Quel'Danas, and things went just fine! It turned out to be one of my favorite daily quest hubs! For those who consistently come to these forums to complain, there is NOTHING keeping you here, but YOU.

1) Because you experience the environment at ground level instead of flying over it.
2) The features of that environment are more dangerous because they cannot be flown over.
3) You are more likely to meet/interact with other players you see at ground level.

1. I see as much flying low as I do on a ground mount.

2. Shades of Sega Genesis there! Take a step fight, take a step fight. lol This doesn't improve my experience. After killing so many of the same mob over and over, especially if I level more than one character. It just gets to be one big royal pain.

3. Not really. I am more likely to meet people in a town or if I get in a party or group. I don't stop people to make friends with them when I am riding from place to place. Come to think of it no one has pulled me over and asked to be my friend either.
90 Pandaren Rogue
01/16/2013 03:08 PMPosted by Metallicaa
For everyone complaining about the game: JUST QUIT ALREADY! FFS, why come on here and complain at every little thing? No flying in the new zone is just fine, you still can't fly in Isle of Quel'Danas, and things went just fine! It turned out to be one of my favorite daily quest hubs! For those who consistently come to these forums to complain, there is NOTHING keeping you here, but YOU.

In case you did not know, these forums are to provide feedback. Some people are passionate about their opinions. Perhaps you see these as constant complaints, but you're doing the exact same thing. You're whining about complaints but not really bringing anything to the discussion.

That said, I figure I'd throw my 2c in on this situation. I don't like being told that the way I prefer to experience/discover their "world" is wrong. Some people want to fly, some people want to ground mount. The best way to appease both is to allow flight. They say they don't like people just up and dropping in on mobs/packs then zipping off. Sorry for those of you that don't have stealth but that's exactly what I do with or without flight.
90 Pandaren Rogue
01/16/2013 03:13 PMPosted by Alphadruid
Flying mounts can offer some nice panoramic views, but many environments are best seen at ground level. Compare riding through a forest on your ground mount to flying over a canopy of trees.

Exactly who are you to evaluate someone's "best" way to see the scenery? Aren't most forms of appreciation subjective? I think that's what's wrong with the developers. They're not taking the customers' views into consideration.
20 Night Elf Warrior
Flying mounts can offer some nice panoramic views, but many environments are best seen at ground level. Compare riding through a forest on your ground mount to flying over a canopy of trees.

Exactly who are you to evaluate someone's "best" way to see the scenery? Aren't most forms of appreciation subjective? I think that's what's wrong with the developers. They're not taking the customers' views into consideration.

Yes... take the customers' view into consideration... and end up with a completely TERRIBLE game in the process? Isn't that what is the matter with this game today? All that "valuable" feedback?
Edited by Metallicaa on 1/16/2013 3:19 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]