Removing Flying Mounts Part II

90 Pandaren Rogue
01/16/2013 03:18 PMPosted by Metallicaa
Yes... take the customers' view into consideration... and end up with a completely TERRIBLE game in the process? Isn't that what is the matter with this game today? All that "valuable" feedback?

I don't remember anyone in a vast majority in favor of no flight until 90, or the removal of HGWT, flask cauldrons, etc. Seems to me you're the one currently unhappy with the game

01/16/2013 03:19 PMPosted by Alphadruid
It may be your personal opinion that the best way to experience a forest is to fly over a canopy of trees. But you shouldn't assume that's the majority view.

You're exactly right. It's MY opinion. Just like it's YOUR opinion that the best way is to see it from down low. I never once said that my personal opinion is the same as everyone else. Gonna re word- The choice should be given to the players to see the content how they want to see it.
Edited by Deathbyrd on 1/16/2013 3:24 PM PST
90 Human Mage
Again: no, thank you. I love my Azure Drake. Flying mounts are here to stay. If you love ground mounts so much, nobody is stopping you from riding them.
100 Pandaren Monk

1) Because you experience the environment at ground level instead of flying over it.
2) The features of that environment are more dangerous because they cannot be flown over.
3) You are more likely to meet/interact with other players you see at ground level.

1) It's prettier from the air when things are not trying to kill you.
2) Dangerous = nothing more than annoying and time consuming when you are trying to get your quests done
3) I neither need nor want to meet/interact - all of this stuff is soloable - we have guilds for company

Wow. What a boring-!@# game. No danger or impedance of any kind. No inconvenience. Everything nice and controlled.

/barf

Go play The Sims or some other life simulator. But then again, you'd find that too dangerous as well.
20 Night Elf Warrior
01/16/2013 03:21 PMPosted by Deathbyrd
Yes... take the customers' view into consideration... and end up with a completely TERRIBLE game in the process? Isn't that what is the matter with this game today? All that "valuable" feedback?

I don't remember anyone in a vast majority in favor of no flight until 90, or the removal of HGWT, flask cauldrons, etc. Seems to me you're the one currently unhappy with the game

It may be your personal opinion that the best way to experience a forest is to fly over a canopy of trees. But you shouldn't assume that's the majority view.

You're exactly right. It's MY opinion. Just like it's YOUR opinion that the best way is to see it from down low. I never once said that my personal opinion is the same as everyone else. You seem to think that your view and only your view is correct.

I am very happy with the game as it is right now, apparently most people on these forums aren't. I can't wait to have a no flying zone, and I really hope they do not budge with the naysayers.
90 Pandaren Rogue
01/16/2013 03:24 PMPosted by Metallicaa
I am very happy with the game as it is right now, apparently most people on these forums aren't. I can't wait to have a no flying zone, and I really hope they do not budge with the naysayers.

I can take it or leave it. I just stealth to the stuff I need, kill it, then move on anyway. Will prob be just like molten front just more grindy.
100 Tauren Monk
01/16/2013 03:21 PMPosted by Deathbyrd

You're exactly right. It's MY opinion. Just like it's YOUR opinion that the best way is to see it from down low. I never once said that my personal opinion is the same as everyone else. Gonna re word- The choice should be given to the players to see the content how they want to see it.

What would be more fun to you, flying over Disney World or actually walking through the parks?
90 Draenei Hunter
01/16/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Bashiok
In spite of your firm belief that you feel flying mounts are detrimental to gameplay

No one ever said they are detrimental to gameplay, or they're being removed, or we hate flying mounts, or any of the other things people have inferred for no good reason. What I said was that experiencing a world directly from your character to the earth beneath it, and approaching questing content, is not served well by being able to lift off and set down wherever you like. In most cases we've relegated 'non-flying' to new characters experiencing an expansion for the first time, and then sometime later given them a way to give their alts flying in a quicker manner. In some cases, such as the Isle of Quel'danas back in BC, and now on the 5.2 Thunder King island, we've made a conscious effort to design a no-flying area to present that content in a different, and we believe, more intimate way. That's our job as game designers and world creators to define the restrictions and rules to create what we feel crafts the best experience. You can disagree with the restrictions and rules that define what World of Warcraft is, and we can have a conversation on the pros and cons (and certainly there are both), but let's be careful not to take things out of context and jump to extremes.

I think the people in this thread are angry that you pick and choose when we get to fly. They seem to just want to continue flying and see no reason they shouldn't be able to.
11 Draenei Paladin
01/16/2013 03:32 PMPosted by Chabs
What would be more fun to you, flying over Disney World or actually walking through the parks?

Real life has nothing to do with fantasy games, for the record I wouldn't go within 10 miles of Disney World if I could help it.
90 Worgen Death Knight

I'm not in Disneyworld to get thru it as fast as possible - wrong thing to compare it to.
90 Draenei Hunter

I always preferred to drive past on the freeway when they have the firework show at night when it's warm outside. :D
90 Gnome Mage
I don't believe the blizz posts on this.

About it making better game play.

I personally believe its about extending the grind. So they content they developed lasts longer.

My advise would be to try and make new content fun, instead of just a grind.
100 Night Elf Rogue
In spite of your firm belief that you feel flying mounts are detrimental to gameplay

No one ever said they are detrimental to gameplay, or they're being removed, or we hate flying mounts, or any of the other things people have inferred for no good reason. What I said was that experiencing a world directly from your character to the earth beneath it, and approaching questing content, is not served well by being able to lift off and set down wherever you like. In most cases we've relegated 'non-flying' to new characters experiencing an expansion for the first time, and then sometime later given them a way to give their alts flying in a quicker manner. In some cases, such as the Isle of Quel'danas back in BC, and now on the 5.2 Thunder King island, we've made a conscious effort to design a no-flying area to present that content in a different, and we believe, more intimate way. That's our job as game designers and world creators to define the restrictions and rules to create what we feel crafts the best experience. You can disagree with the restrictions and rules that define what World of Warcraft is, and we can have a conversation on the pros and cons (and certainly there are both), but let's be careful not to take things out of context and jump to extremes.

I fail to see how saying that the content is 'not well served' by being able to fly isn't saying that flying mounts are detrimental to the content. And again, I have to wonder just how many people appreciate this grand questing feel of the earth beneath your feet as opposed to those of us who tolerate it but hate the fact the no-fly zone exists, for the entire duration that it remains relevant to the game. I'm willing to be open-minded enough to accept your design concepts if you'll be open-minded enough to stop telling me how to properly enjoy the game.

Here's a constructive suggestion for you, why don't you just apply a 'you can fly' buff to people that have completed all quests in the zone, and phase them separately. Everyone has your ground-centric experience, nobody flys in and ruins the immersion of those still on the ground, but in the name of the light and all that is holy we won't have to suffer through more of what I consider intentionally and unnecessarily painful content.
90 Pandaren Rogue

I prefer to have the choice to see it which ever way I see fit
90 Night Elf Hunter
01/16/2013 02:55 PMPosted by Ardor
No one is wandering through the terrain waiting to see what is waiting over the next hill anymore.

I am and continue to do so. It is an aspect of the game that I greatly miss.
90 Pandaren Warrior
Why is this even still going on? They aren't going to remove them so these threads are useless.
90 Human Paladin
I don't see why at this point anyone would think Blizzard would possibly even think of removing flying mounts, since you know, everyone that spent time camping the Time Lost/Aeonaxx and everyone that spent money on those fancy TCG mounts would flip out, including many more.

I feel like MoP was done nicely enough with no flying until 90, and having a questing zone with no flying? I'm fine with that, as long as it's not like a 20 minute ride to the other side.
90 Pandaren Monk
No one ever said they are detrimental to gameplay,

Just guessing but I think the OP of this thread was more specifically referencing the OP of the previous thread:
01/13/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Hycindo
The truth is that flying mounts are a parasite on the game,

01/13/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Hycindo
Flying mounts are terrible. Awful. One of the worst design decisions Blizzard could ever have made.
At least that's how I read it.
15 Draenei Shaman
01/16/2013 02:18 PMPosted by Advicetroll
present that content in a different, and we believe, more intimate way.
I'm taking your content out to dinner, not sleeping with it. Or at least that's what I think whenever people tell me about video game intimacy. At least, that's when I don't think, "I'm not taking your content to Goldshire on Moonguard." first. Because awkward metaphors are that much more awkward whenever Goldshire and Moonguard are mentioned.

It's so easy to know when someone doesn't truly know what the word intimate means.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]