Removing Flying Mounts Part II

90 Blood Elf Warlock
01/16/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Bashiok
but let's be careful not to take things out of context and jump to extremes.

Bash, they haven't had their ritalin today,...they're going to go into extremes quickly
15 Draenei Shaman
It's also easy to figure out who in this thread shouldn't be playing MMORPGs as well.
90 Night Elf Druid
Archaeology and other things that now essentially require flying are among the reasons that Blizzard will likely never remove flying completely. Even if they did remove it, those things that basically require flying will be drastically changed to accommodate the new lack of flying.

As far as I'm concerned, one of my favourite parts of levelling in Pandaria was the fact that I got to experience it on foot. I really got a good look at the zone and I felt that it was much more engaging to see everything in the game as I would in real life. There are too many minour details in World of Warcraft to just fly over everything purely for efficiency, and that's one thing that the game has lost since the introduction of flying mounts. Vanilla felt really epic in its size and grandeur partly due to the fact that it really felt that you were travelling an impressive distance when you crossed zones. Remember starting as a Night Elf and running all the way from Menethil Harbour to Ironforge, then taking the tram to Stormwind? THAT, my friends, was the pinnacle of epic-ness in World of Warcraft.
90 Worgen Druid
Sorry OP, but in my opinion, this aspect of the game aint broke so it should not be fixed. There are plenty of other aspects of this game that are FAR more detrimental to gameplay that should be addressed instead.
90 Night Elf Druid
01/16/2013 03:32 PMPosted by Chabs
What would be more fun to you, flying over Disney World or actually walking through the parks?

Well, I can't actually fly IRL, so it's hard to say for sure. But if it worked the way it does in WoW -- I could land anytime and interact with anything on the ground I wanted to -- it's hard to see how that could possibly be a disadvantage. Unless you think that shoving your way through the crowds from point A to point B is the *most fun* part of the Disney World experience so that even having the *choice* to not do it would irretrievably ruin your fun.

Sweaty, shoving, and/or noisy crowds = nuisance aggro; not what I came there for and a pure PITA with no redeeming features whatsoever. If that's the only thing I'm skipping by flying, hell yes I want to fly.

Of course if the devs really want to make more no fly zones, they could just make more buildings and caves, which are already no fly and nobody objects (much) because the precedent is so well established. Nobody skips over the nuisance aggro in Ogudei Shrine (which may have something to do with its representation in the most hated daily hub thread, if you choose to take that kind of thing as a hint). No flying outdoor zones are extra insulting because they break the existing rules *just* to screw over and annoy players. Extra extra insulting to druids because they also take away a class specific and very cool perk.

By analogy with Wot4W, maybe the new daily faction should have an item available at revered/exalted that makes you/your mount immune to the Thunder King's thunder (or whatever) and lets you fly on his island? I'm sure some people would still be annoyed by the constant flying bait and switches -- heck, I still would be myself -- but at least there would be a visible goal to work toward that would earn your wings back. (Again.) At the same time, you'd still have to do a substantial amount of the content on the ground first.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I see nothing wrong with flying mounts....I still sit around on my ground mounts for vanity anyway.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Where the hell is this post coming from? WoW would lose 9 million out of its 9.1 million subscribers if they did that.

Seriously, where the hell did this come from? Because there is zero possibility of this happening.

There's a been an influx of pvpers whining about "lack of wpvp" and blaming it on flying mounts of late. This thread (and its predecessor, if I read correctly) came about because of Ghostcrawler's off-hand Twitter about his personal feelings on flying mounts.
90 Human Hunter
01/16/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Bashiok
experiencing a world directly from your character to the earth beneath it, and approaching questing content, is not served well by being able to lift off and set down wherever you like

01/15/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Bashiok
We pretty firmly believe the questing experience is just wholly better when you can't lift off and set down wherever you like

How did you come up with that? There can't be any data to look at. Have you really been playing the game and thought to yourself, "Gosh, I wish I couldn't fly right now"?

At some point Blizz will figure out they are not gods... just a bunch of folks that made a good game at the perfect time.

Back in the 1990's there was another company that built a massive online entertainment empire. They were making money hand-over-fist. Everybody (and quite literally their mother) used them. Everybody got used to using their software. All your friends were there and you even made new friends.

Other companies wanted in on the action. Many tried but none succeeded. They appeared to be untouchable. That's probably what caused them to think they were software savants of sorts. Only superficially listening to their customers. Always thinking they knew what the right answer was and that customers just needed to be educated... After all they had created this massive company, they must know what they doing.

The company saw their product as a spectacular creation that everyone wanted to be a part of. The customers though thought it was their world and they were paying someone else to look after it... even make it better for them.

In the end the customers got tired of not being listened to. Customers never left en-masse or collectively switching to a competing product. Their departure was slow at first. But momentum built up and soon enough almost no one was left.

There never was an AOL killer. But they're still dead.
Edited by Doofenshmirt on 1/16/2013 4:16 PM PST
20 Night Elf Warrior
01/16/2013 04:14 PMPosted by Doofenshmirt
experiencing a world directly from your character to the earth beneath it, and approaching questing content, is not served well by being able to lift off and set down wherever you like

We pretty firmly believe the questing experience is just wholly better when you can't lift off and set down wherever you like

How did you come up with that? There can't be any data to look at. Have you really been playing the game and thought to yourself, "Gosh, I wish I couldn't fly right now"?

At some point Blizz will figure out they are not gods... just a bunch of folks that made a good game at the perfect time.

Back in the 1990's there was another company that built a massive online entertainment empire. They were making money hand-over-fist. Everybody (and quite literally their mother) used them. Everybody got used to using their software. All your friends were there and you even made new friends.

Other companies wanted in on the action. Many tried but none succeeded. They appeared to be untouchable. That's probably what caused them to think they were software savants of sorts. Only superficially listening to their customers. Always thinking they knew what the right answer was and that customers just needed to be educated... After all they had created this massive company, they must know what they doing.

The company saw their product as a spectacular creation that everyone wanted to be a part of. The customers though thought it was their world and they were paying someone else to look after it... even make it better for them.

In the end the customers got tired of not being listened to. Customers never left en-masse or collectively switching to a competing product. Their departure was slow at first. But momentum built up and soon enough almost no one was left.

There never was an AOL killer. But they're still dead.

AOL isn't dead, I still use AIM all the time, and go figure, it works better than Yahoo Messenger :P
90 Worgen Druid
I doubt many people would quit over the loss of flying mounts. Not only was there a time where we didn't have them, but you'd be giving up all the main activities that don't allow use of them anyway(Raiding, BG's, etc.).
55 Dwarf Paladin
Explore for what reason , nothing good drops anymore. Leveled 3 toons to 90 not one epic drop. Not like theres a chance for a mount. Wheres the incentive. Yea ull all be cryng as you slug around the continents on a land mount. Good luck with that one.
Edited by Darrah on 1/16/2013 4:27 PM PST
90 Human Warrior
01/16/2013 03:13 PMPosted by Alphadruid
This is a fundamental problem that I think drives alot of the complaints I read about Mists of Pandaria on this forum. WORLD OF WARCRAFT IS AN MMORPG. It is not a single player game. The whole point of the genre is for you to meet and interact with other players.

YOU MUST HAVE 200 PLAYERS ON YOUR SCREEN AT ALL TIMES. YOU MUST ALSO GREET THEM ALL AND QUEST WITH EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM OR ELSE IT'S NOT AN MMO BECUZ PLAYING WITH YOUR FRIENDS ISN'T WHAT MULTI PLAYER IS ABOUT! PLAYING WITH YOUR REAL FRIENDS IS SINGLE PLAYER GUIS!

Why do people like you try to force socializing on solo players? You shouldn't force people to play with others just because you're lonely in game. I can't remember a time when anyone actually cared about people outside of their guild. Does anyone remember this occurring before flying? I certainly don't.
Edited by Dagrath on 1/16/2013 4:24 PM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
Remember starting as a Night Elf and running all the way from Menethil Harbour to Ironforge, then taking the tram to Stormwind? THAT, my friends, was the pinnacle of epic-ness in World of Warcraft.

Well, that's already gone since they built Stormwind Harbor and changed the ship routes. Horde never had to do it anyway with free zeppelins at every capital (except Silvermoon, which has the teleport orb instead).

Anyway, it was only cool the first time, if you have more than one NE/Draenei.

Alliance Warlocks had the even worse run through Stranglethorn at like level 20 so that you could take the boat to Ratchet for, IIRC, the Succubus quest. (Of course this was before you had any mounts at level 20.)

I don't know what it is that makes people remember some kinds of hardship as if they were good things, but really, the redesign is an improvement. (Although I personally think the elimination of class quests was not -- they could be pretty damn cool. Totems, warlock pets, druid forms... those are some of the things that distinguish classes from each other, and they also distinguished the experience of leveling different classes from each other. Monks still have some of that with the Peak of Serenity, but all the old classes lost it -- I'm not sure if leveling druids even go to Moonglade anymore.)
90 Worgen Mage
The way I (and probably) Blizzard sees flying mounts is that the game's better off without them if they were remaking the game from scratch, but it's something they won't go back and remove, sort of like racials.

I applaud the efforts to remake another Isle of Quel'danas.
86 Undead Priest
Why is everyone treating ground mounts as an 'epic cross country road trip' where its all about the journey and not destination?

When in reality its more about the daily commute to work.

If ground mounts really added more fun,excitement,player interaction than flying mounts you would see far less players using flying mounts.

Trust me when I say,
after the first week of this content being released that rock you jump over to a quest will have just as much intimacy/value as the tree top above it would have.
And certainly won't add to player interaction anymore than driving by someone on the highway,especially when that highway has one destination (where players there interact as little as possible).
90 Human Death Knight
Why is everyone treating ground mounts as an 'epic cross country road trip' where its all about the journey and not destination?

When in reality its more about the daily commute to work.

If ground mounts really added more fun,excitement,player interaction than flying mounts you would see far less players using flying mounts.

Trust me when I say,
after the first week of this content being released that rock you jump over to a quest will have just as much intimacy/value as the tree top above it would have.
And certainly won't add to player interaction anymore than driving by someone on the highway,especially when that highway has one destination (where players there interact as little as possible).

You can't reason with nostalgia, it defys logic and so can't be approached logically. It's all emotion and bias, it is the bane of every mmo.
90 Human Monk
God no especially since crz on any alliance server crzed with illidan you better have flying or not mind being camped for days.
90 Human Warrior
I doubt many people would quit over the loss of flying mounts. Not only was there a time where we didn't have them, but you'd be giving up all the main activities that don't allow use of them anyway(Raiding, BG's, etc.).

If this happened I honestly think it would increase the subscription loss of this game faster than anything else blizzard has ever done. Everyone uses flying mounts. No one except for those who are complete masochists would enjoy longer travel times. That rock I had to jump over in westfall isn't worth examining for an extended period of time guys, just stop it.

Besides I paid 50$ on flying mounts from the store. Thousands of players would swarm this forum demanding refunds for being jipped out of flying.
Edited by Dagrath on 1/16/2013 4:33 PM PST
90 Human Hunter
01/16/2013 04:18 PMPosted by Metallicaa
AOL isn't dead, I still use AIM all the time, and go figure, it works better than Yahoo Messenger :P

Oh, so you AIM and not AOL.
AIM being a free ad supported chat client (with less that 10% market share... Microsoft with Skype added in having about 70%).
AOL being a $30ish per month SaaS.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]