need some clarity on holy and ret

32 Dwarf Shaman
I know Holy is and will probably always be crazy good in arenas

but im wondering is ret just not even worth going for pvp for high end arena? i just always hear bad things and im wondering is it possible to play ret (fav pallie spec) or should i do holy for my pvp needs?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
People are going to say no. I am tired of QQ posts and you are going to lure all the people who hate ret to this thread lol.

Dmachine on my server a pally that I was in a Bg with earlier is pretty highly ranked and is wearing the elite PvP gear. He is super good though. So if you are super good then ret is pretty awesome. If you are moderate than ret is good in random bg, and arena up till probably 2k from what I see on my server on other rets, and Rbgs are not for rets at the moment. I hope i just summed that up well, because this forum is usually back and forth rage fest about why we are bad, or why we arent.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you like Ret you should play it, you can still get high rated as ret it just isn't as easy as other specs.

We're also getting some nice buffs in 5.2, and some OP classes are getting nerfs, so we should be in a much better position.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
P.S dont armory me. This is a new character, and I am new to ret. I am telling you what i see on my realm which is a pretty awesome PvP realm.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Holy is better than Ret in terms of PvP viability, not only because of their crazy instant heals, but because you can be carried by the "FotM" classes, the good people playing them, of course. That may be the main reason there are 10x more Holy Paladins.

Ret takes a lot more skill to get to higher ratings (however there are still some idiots on my realm thinking Ret is faceroll), because you have to worry about damage AND supporting your team.

I've seen a few videos on Jimos playing with an Enhancement Shaman and going very well because of their combined off heals. Other than Jimos and Vanguards, you won't find many other Rets at higher ratings because they just aren't willing to put in the effort to "play an underpowered class". Most Rets wanting higher ratings would rather go Holy.

If you want to play Ret, do it. This is a game, and games are meant for fun. If you are willing to reach higher ratings as Ret, put in the effort to look up info on advanced Ret play and even ask on forums of high rated PvP sites, e.g. SkillCapped, Next Level PvP and Arena Junkies (note that you do not have to pay to read forums on these sites, but you have to pay to make an account and ask questions). Read up on all the info you gather, and practice in lower rated RBGs/arenas, then find competent partners and take it to the next level. If you are good enough, you will reach high ratings. If you are not quite good enough and are still willing to reach the desired rating, read up more, practice more.

TL;DR: Holy is better than Ret and very viable. Ret is good if you put in effort to improve, and is better than Holy only if you choose it to be.
Edited by Exordus on 1/17/2013 2:51 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]