Is Samwise still around?

90 Pandaren Warrior
I remember back in BC seeing lots of his art around the web, and I kind of always tthought that he was one of the main "heads" on the Wow feeling, if you can call it that.

Does he still work at Blizzard? Is there any new art from him or the guys in general that you can show? I find it kind of boring that the expansion art is reserved only for those that buy the CE :p

Also, since we are talking about Didier. Where is our Lvl 95 Tauren Chieftains?!
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
He was at the Mists launch event. Pretty sure he's still around.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
He did the Pandaren Insignia. Cuz he does all the race insignia's.

He still works at Blizzard. They just don't have a reason to collect and throw every scrap of concept at us.
01/17/2013 01:39 PMPosted by Gorkag

Hologram. I was there.
Edited by Jessebella on 1/17/2013 1:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
He did the Pandaren Insignia. Cuz he does all the race insignia's.

He still works at Blizzard. They just don't have a reason to collect and throw every scrap of concept at us.

Hologram. I was there.

But they should!
It's always nice (for those interested, of course) to see how you can translate a badass concept art to an ingame model.
I remember seeing the Dark Portal concept art a few months ago, and dayum, that was nice.
(http://us.media.blizzard.com/wow/anniversary/_images/ilovesc/unlockables/01-orc_darkportal.jpg)
Reply Quote
Most of his art can be found here: http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/

Although you might already know of that site. To my knowledge he's working more on Starcraft these days.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
You can see some concept art if you click the 'credits' button on the login screen. Just hit the fast-foward arrow to make it go a little quicker. There's some nice earlier art for some of the Pandaria races and dungeons, as well as the tier gear.

I have no idea which ones, if any, Sam had anything to do with, but they are nice.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
He's art director on StarCraft II, so most of his time is spent there, but he still does some concepts and bits for Warcraft now and again.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
01/17/2013 01:49 PMPosted by Bashiok
He's art director on StarCraft II, so most of his time is spent there, but he still does some concepts and bits for Warcraft now and again.

Weird. I'd think he'd want to spend more time on WarCraft with his brainchild race.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
But they should!
It's always nice (for those interested, of course) to see how you can translate a badass concept art to an ingame model.
I remember seeing the Dark Portal concept art a few months ago, and dayum, that was nice.

1 problem is concept art isn't always an indication of the final product. There was concept art for a bird race in Pandaria, for example, that didn't see fruition. If they released it all, people are going to be dissapointed when 80% of it doesn't show up in the final product.

2, Whatever concept they are working on right now, is far into the future. Right now, pretty much all of the concept for the new stuff in 5.2 is done. It's just the model and raid devs bringing it to life. They are working on 5.3, even 5.4. And they can't spoil that stuff.

3, most of it is disposable crap. And you'll probably just confuse a bunch of people if you release it all. It's why they usually only release a few pieces. Usually the ones that look good, and aren't far off base of what actually made it into the game.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
01/17/2013 01:51 PMPosted by Gorkag

Weird. I'd think he'd want to spend more time on WarCraft with his brainchild race.

That is weird, did he not do anything for MOP then?
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
Remember the Sammy heads from Warcraft 3? They gave me a healthy fear of Didier.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
01/17/2013 01:55 PMPosted by Shimaia
That is weird, did he not do anything for MOP then?

He made sure they had the right amount of belly fat.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=64694
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
But they should!

1 problem is concept art isn't always an indication of the final product. There was concept art for a bird race in Pandaria, for example, that didn't see fruition. If they released it all, people are going to be dissapointed when 80% of it doesn't show up in the final product.

2, Whatever concept they are working on right now, is far into the future. Right now, pretty much all of the concept for the new stuff in 5.2 is done. It's just the model and raid devs bringing it to life. They are working on 5.3, even 5.4. And they can't spoil that stuff.

3, most of it is disposable crap. And you'll probably just confuse a bunch of people if you release it all. It's why they usually only release a few pieces. Usually the ones that look good, and aren't far off base of what actually made it into the game.

1 - I don't really see a problema with that. And they can show only the ones that got into the game :p
2 - I was mostly thinking about old stuff. I remember seeing a wonderful piece from the Frost Witch (shaman set) some years ago, and I really started wondering how the other concepts for amors looked like.
Reply Quote
60 Human Hunter
Still here. Just naked.

Oh, THAT Samwise.
Reply Quote
98 Night Elf Warrior
As has been said, go to SonsoftheStorm.com. They update Sons of the Storm every 3-4 months with lots of new WOW and Blizz related concept art.

Samwise and René Koiter also post on their facebook page relatively often every few months, sometimes when he is up at 2am drinking beer I've exchanged some fanboy comments with him :)
The coolest coincidence was while I was exploring the Jade Forest I found his NPC, the Metal Brewmaster, not 5 minutes from talking to him on Facebook. Creepy. Glad to see that NPC used in the Sheildwall dailies.
Edited by Elrith on 1/17/2013 2:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
You can see some concept art if you click the 'credits' button on the login screen. Just hit the fast-foward arrow to make it go a little quicker. There's some nice earlier art for some of the Pandaria races and dungeons, as well as the tier gear.

I have no idea which ones, if any, Sam had anything to do with, but they are nice.

waoh neat. didnt know that, gonna check that out now...
Reply Quote
98 Night Elf Warrior
I've been trying really hard to find WOW art from Justin Thavirat and Chris Robinson both, who are not Sons of the Storm.

I've always wondered if Justin Thavirat's WOW art was made to look exactly like the game graphics, or if his style was just really really influential on how the game graphics ended up looking. His Troll on the original vanilla 4 disc CD sleeve covers from 2004 is a particular favorite of mine.

But there is so little info on his art online it's been driving me crazy for years trying to find more. He's got a few pieces in the WOW art gallery on this site too. He used to be the art director I believe for the team before Chris Robinson.

Chris Robinson's art is barely anywhere to be seen but for a few pages in the Collector's Edition books. I saw him make a doodle in an interview for WOTLK that really caught my attention, I love his cartoony shapes and forms in what I've seen. He's now the current art director for WOW's art team I believe as well.

Probably a lost cause but if anyone has some links to either artist's lesser know pieces I'm kind of collecting it for reference in my own WOW art.

waoh neat. didnt know that, gonna check that out now...
I think you could do that with every expansion, BTW.
Edited by Elrith on 1/17/2013 2:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Probably writing more Horde songs or something.
Reply Quote
98 Night Elf Warrior
01/17/2013 02:40 PMPosted by Paladinchaz
Probably writing more Horde songs or something.
Your mistake is in assuming he would kick a dwarf out of bed for an orc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]