Well, I am Discipline, but has anyone else...

90 Blood Elf Priest
Yes, I am a Discipline priest! And yes, Ive seen all the threads about how we are OP, or about how incised everyone is about being "nerfed" in the PTR, but hey, it IS a TEST realm anyhow, isnt it?
Anyhow, I digress. We are OP (maybe we are, maybe we arent), but has anyone else seen the numbers on Pallies Illuminated Healing (oddly, scales really well with Mastery, doesnt it?)? Oddly, it seems that others dont really feel this is somewhat OP as well? How come I am not reading the same about that. Heck, I throw out shells, Aegis, and yea, I do ok, but man, a similarly geared Pally will kill me with that one heal......is there a reason Imnot seeing complaints or nerfs to that?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/18/2013 08:15 AMPosted by Heallikehell
.is there a reason Imnot seeing complaints or nerfs to that?

Because they are not currently crushing all the other healers. IH is very strong but not grossly OP at this time.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
1:
01/18/2013 08:15 AMPosted by Heallikehell
a similarly geared Pally will kill me with that one heal

This should not happen with Disc in its current state. You're not being aggressive enough.

2: Illuminated healing is inflated right now because virtually every paladin everywhere is abusing either the PvP or PvE 4-piece set bonus with Eternal Flame. It's completely and totally dependent on this tier's overpowered set bonuses.

Paladins still using the PvP bonus will lose a big chunk of their healing immediately when the patch is released. Those using the PvE bonus will either lose it as soon as they switch to t15 gear or watch their advantage slowly dissipate as other healers gear up and they don't. If it winds up being too much of a problem (paladins refusing to wear t15), Blizz will nerf the t14 bonus.

In other words, Blizz doesn't have to make any changes to the paladin class to nerf them. It's all in the gear.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
IH is quite solid, but not OP levels of strong. They can look very pretty in LFR, but in progression their mastery does not get close to what DA and SS can do.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

2: Illuminated healing is inflated right now because virtually every paladin everywhere is abusing either the PvP or PvE 4-piece set bonus with Eternal Flame. It's completely and totally dependent on this tier's overpowered set bonuses.

I have never used the pvp 4set, IH is still usually my top heal on almost every fight. I don't even EF blanket (read, meter pad). IH is quite strong for the same reason DA/SS is so strong, raid mechanics and damage patterns. It's definitely not on the same level, but still quite strong.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/zh33lbl3w6xi9u0j/analyze/hd/source/?s=8056&e=8505
Edited by Glorÿ on 1/18/2013 9:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/18/2013 09:07 AMPosted by Glorÿ
I have never used the pvp 4set

No, but you're using the PvE 4set, which has basically the same effect on Holy Power generation, plus better stats, and the added Holy Shocks do a pretty good job of spreading or rolling IH as well.

01/18/2013 09:07 AMPosted by Glorÿ
I don't even EF blanket (read, meter pad).

You do use EF though. You don't really have to blanket it to see some of the advantages. Using it intelligently is still quite effective.

It's true that IH is very strong, but if you took out the set bonuses, the (already not too huge) gap between paladins and other healers would disappear, and paladins would just be an average healer with some decent absorbs. Considering that the IH mechanic isn't strong enough to be a serious concern from a balance perspective (you can't use it to negate damage bursts), it really isn't an issue.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I think there's confusion by people that don't understand why disc is topping charts, much less how absorbs work. I figured this one out one day after a DS LFR in which my shaman was stuck in a group with 3 disc priests and 2 holy pallies (tons of absorbs on a fight that I normally did above 20K hps on).

Absorbs= people are taking less damage because the absorbs are eating the damage= other healers are not going to output as much healing

Less damage taken= less healing needed
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
01/18/2013 08:32 AMPosted by Kaels
In other words, Blizz doesn't have to make any changes to the paladin class to nerf them. It's all in the gear.

And I can't think of a single paladin who is looking forward to that nerf /sad face

is there a reason I'm not seeing complaints or nerfs to that?

Because it isn't insanely overpowered, and when healing against other classes, paladins play well with others whereas other healing classes cannot compete against disc priests at all.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/18/2013 09:48 AMPosted by Xileki
I think there's confusion by people that don't understand why disc is topping charts, much less how absorbs work.

I understand very well why disc is topping charts and how absorbs work. I can also tell the difference between a patch where Disc is balanced (but still able to suppress other healers to an extent) and one where it is not balanced.

T12 and T13 were in the first category. T14 is in the second, as, arguably, was T10. T11 was an oddball because healer balance was in massive flux throughout (and generally terrible at any given point).

You can check my post history - I'm not anti-Disc. I spent practically the entire beta and the first month of live advocating for Disc because it was, frankly, broken. I have months and months of posts asking for Disc buffs. But they buffed the wrong thing, and then they kept buffing it in ways that multiplied with the original buff, and now the spec is wildly and inappropriately overpowered.

(They also went on to buff some of the right things - Atonement range and Penance - which I'm quite happy with, just for the record. I'm very glad they aren't being reverted.)

For once - and this is actually the first time in my memory of the spec - they've now actually picked the correct things to nerf to make Disc a functional spec that's fun to play and to play with. Absorbs need to be separated from heals. Disc can't continue to have an all-in-one, "press 1 to win" button that's highly effective as either a heal or an absorb and completely insane when it gets to do both.

I'm not 100% convinced that making PWS the on-demand absorb for the raid is the best solution, because I remember PWS spam. Doing it this way is going to be a delicate balancing act that can be upset pretty easily by regen changes. I still think that leaving PWS as an emergency spell and providing some sort of on-demand, cast-time, multitarget absorb (e.g. a toggled, no-CD, lower-power redesign of Spirit Shell) would be a better solution.

But if they want to go with PWS, as long as they get it mostly balanced, it's still better than the current state of affairs.
Edited by Kaels on 1/18/2013 10:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I'm used to it by now. Just happy we have 2 healing specs, and a backup in case heal priests are just poop sammiches for a little bit.

Someone will take our place and the entire cycle will start again. Wonder who will be the dreamboat this time around.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I can't argue that we needed a nerf but I think they've gone totally the wrong way and if those changes go through as written it will kill the class.

In the current content raid damage has definite highs and lows. The problem is that our regen has been high enough that during those periods of low damage, we could just roll out PoH and bring DA up to over 150k on everyone in the raid. So of course when the big hit comes, there is 1.5 million in heals. Of course no-one else is going to register numbers near ours.

What's listed though averages out to roughly a 40% nerf to all AoE heals. I can't recall myself coming anywhere near close to beating out other healers by that amount.

They can't make this change without buffing an AoE heal or the class is either crippled or back to the now redundant Tank Healer role... since we were graciously given a 20% boost to Penance.

The fact that so many of the raid bosses are 2 heal fights support the fact that Tank healers are no longer part of the mix. Unless Blizzard are hellbent on destroying the class, reason will prevail. (Please... let it prevail)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]