Healing is becoming not fun (PvP)

90 Draenei Shaman
01/17/2013 06:21 AMPosted by Atexsiks
I don't know how these add-ons like "kill the healer" work, if I don't choose a role, does that make me less conspicuous? Is it my armor that makes me stand out? Given the amount of time I spend sapped, sheeped, stunned, etc. I'm willing to do whatever I can to stay alive.

The addon takes information from the combat log. If you cast a healing spell more than a couple times then a healing marker (+) will be placed over your head visible to the person with the addon.

Will effectively make it very easy to spot a healer in a large pvp setting.

I don't think it makes that big of a difference if you know what you're doing you should know who the healers are. For bads it probably helps quite a bit though.

-On Topic-

Jut to play devil's advocate here, most cc breaks on damage. It is just as likely for you to get cc'd as it is for some ally of the ccing party to break that cc on you.

That leaves stuns and silences. Both of which have very short (comparatively) durations and dr into almost nothing. Some low cd stuns and silences (shockwave, improved counterspell etc) are getting removed or their cool downs extended as well.

Moreover, you should have a trinket and every healing class has somthing they can do while silenced or stunned (barkskin, bubble, astral shift, pain suppresion), all of which will probably be up in a large scale fight if you are using them correctly.

Lastly every healing class also has cc that they can use themselves to get peeps off of them as well as instant casts and powerful cd's to use when they are in danger of being locked out cause a melee is on them.

--This is a very strong argument against what you say.

If i wasn't being argumentative though, I'd say that fears need to break instantly on any damage except that from the person who feared them. Lots of classes have fears and fears have a relatively long duration and are not dr'd into uselessness as easily.

They supposedly break on damage, and have even been "fixed" to break on damage better, but still have to high of a threshold for damage (any).
Reply Quote
44 Goblin Warrior
Lastly every healing class also has cc that they can use themselves to get peeps off of them as well as instant casts and powerful cd's to use when they are in danger of being locked out cause a melee is on them.

--This is a very strong argument against what you say.

Good points, however...

1) In RBGs healers have no hopes if they are hard switched to, which it could be argued reflects a cohesive enemy team and is "working as intended," but that still doesn't mean it is much fun to be that Druid healer who is always targeted first.

2) If a healer can preemptively CC (say, drop a Capacitor totem just before the Warrior charges or NS Clone that incoming Fear) then they are playing really well, but most of the time (at least, right now) a healer is hanging back trying to not get caught in a CC chain without trinket up because they know if they do it could potentially last 15 seconds before even getting a chance at using an instant ability. Healer CC output is additionally not as effective as DPS because their CC isn't built into their healing output in a comparative way that DPS crowd control is often a part of their damage, i.e., a Warrior charges, stuns the target, and gains rage all at the same time. A Frost Mage catches a healer in a Pet Nova that is then utilized for a Deep Freeze which sets up high damage. A Cyclone or a Hex doesn't directly make the healer heal better.

Since I'm already long-winded...

WoW Arena is incredibly fast-paced, intense, and requires rapid-fire triage decision making - yet as it exists right now that fast pace is constantly interrupted by 5+ seconds of nothing at a time. I mean... what kind of game design is it where a player can be in the middle of live chaos and they frequently have to just stare at the screen for upwards to 15 seconds at a time, able to do nothing?
Reply Quote
15 Human Mage
At least as a holy pally you can bubble and not be dead for a few seconds...but you know it's coming.
I blame it on the addons that show who's healing, because no one in a bg would actually care enough to look.

I agree w/ OP, 5.0 was way more fun healing.

I don't know how these add-ons like "kill the healer" work, if I don't choose a role, does that make me less conspicuous? Is it my armor that makes me stand out? Given the amount of time I spend sapped, sheeped, stunned, etc. I'm willing to do whatever I can to stay alive.

If they have the popular addon, battleground targets, they can tell what spec (dps/tank/healing) every person on the other team is. There are also other addons that do the same thing. It doesn't matter what you set your role to, it knows what spec you are.

Not only that, but they can target you from the other side of the map before the game even begins. Everyone in rated battlegrounds does this so they can try to determine who their first target will be. Typically it will be the healer with the lowest health, or perhaps they'll assign certain people to cc certain healers, but whatever the case may be, they know who the healers are before the gates even open and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Edit: If you're a druid you can stealth so they can't see how much health you have before the game starts... but that's about it.

Also to add, the addon allows you to see who's within a certain range of you and lets you target them via the addon. This means that in the middle of a chaotic fight if they don't see where the healer is they can target the healer via the addon and find them more easily that way. They'll also know if you're around even in the middle of a chaotic fight/if you're trying to hide behind that bush. I actually use the addon myself as a healer to try to get on other healers to help cc them if other people aren't. MW interrupt has a built in silence if you hit them in the face and it has a short cd... I can paralyze, leg sweep and silence healers in a chain. I feel bad about myself for doing it... but sometimes it helps win a fight.
Edited by Irate on 1/19/2013 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I think CC is a problem for all roles, not just healing. But yes, it's pretty demoralizing to be in a bg with a couple friends and just report "Feared. trinketing. Feared, half duration, feared. Stunned. Shifted to avoid poly (yay!). Stunned. Blanket silenced. Oh cool, fear DR is up, feared full duration..."
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I entirely agree. Normally I hate qq'ing, but ever since I saw fear was 8 seconds (don't know if that was how it was in cata/wrath, but it didn't seem like it.

And especially how often and easily you can get CC'd now, even by just two classes in 2s. There have been countless times the only reason my team lost was just because I got CC'd the entire time (favorite is a Druid and pally/mage, cyclone'd 2 times in a row, poly'd two times in a row, you get the idea).

It's not even CC's, it's just the fact that some classes have a non cooldown CC that can repeatedly be spammed with even with the CC immunity (wtf is that? Half the time before I even notice I have immunity I'm CC'd again).

Pally hammers and things like that are ok, cause they have a decent CD and can't just be spammed twice in a row.

And even as a pally my bubble doesn't go far. 8 seconds of invulnerability is nothing compared to how long I spend getting feared in an arena.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]