Necromancer?

90 Undead Death Knight
I want to start an undead necromancer character... my ideas are to...

Use a death knight starting gear set combination for transmog....

Mage for the frost and use warlock-esque clothing...

Warlock with affliction spec...

Priest with shadow.

What do you guys think? Ideas? And if any of the last three what can I do to make them more like a necromancer? Companion and item and clothing wise? I prefer a caster more than any for good reason.

I appreciate all help and suggestions. :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Well, let's look at it this way.

If you focus on the minion aspect of undead I'd definitely say Death Knight for your primary option with warlock falling into a secondary option. A voidwalker could feasibly be parleyed into a wraith or some such for RP purposes.

If you focus on the combative necromancy then Warlock or Priest.

I'd say use mage as a last resort.

For gear Warlock D2 - you can get the replica set of this from the Darkmoon Faire.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Interesting. But I'm not thinking minions. But I am heavily invested in the idea of a warlock. And they seem more interesting. Death knights seem too meelee. But an affliction warlock is all shadow.

What about a companion pet?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Go to Lordaeron - I don't know if they nerfed the size but there are wandering spirits known as the Lost of Lordaeron - if you capture one of those and get some pet biscuits to give them a better size you got a minion.

You can also get a Li'l KT and play it off as a miniature servant you raised. Used to do this on my old mage - had him saying the thing was a haemonculus to deflect questions of it being undead.
Edited by Maoseitun on 1/11/2013 4:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Interesting! I like the lost of lordaeron idea. And I think I may make a lich of a mage one day. Oh classes. You so fun...

Thank you for the help! :) what if I wanted a more substantial companion? Something from naxx's drop pool?
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
No lich from a mage. PLEASE, no lich from a mage.

Either way, yeah, warlock.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
I'm honestly not sure the number of undead companion pets - I know of the Lost of Lordaeron, hrm...

Crawling Claw - though it's difficult to get.
Fungal Abomination - have to farm Loatheb in Naxx.
Restless Shadeling - Unsure.
Stitched Pup - farm Gluth.

No lich from a mage. PLEASE, no lich from a mage.

Either way, yeah, warlock.

A Lich is just an undead spellcaster. So a Forsaken mage or warlock is technically a Lich.
Edited by Maoseitun on 1/11/2013 5:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Not a lich-lich. Who knows. But thank you!
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
01/11/2013 05:09 PMPosted by Maoseitun
A Lich is just an undead spellcaster. So a Forsaken mage or warlock is technically a Lich.

Eh. I think of liches as gigantic floating skeletal constructs with chains and frost magic flying everywhere... which is what, like, all the in-game liches are, so... yeah.

01/11/2013 05:09 PMPosted by Saigas
Not a lich-lich. Who knows. But thank you!

You're welcome!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
01/11/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Srdotsalot
Eh. I think of liches as gigantic floating skeletal constructs with chains and frost magic flying everywhere... which is what, like, all the in-game liches are, so... yeah.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Lich#Other_Liches
http://www.wowpedia.org/Gunther_Arcanus
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
I'll give you Gunther. From that orc dude's description, though, I could still see him looking like the generic lich.

But anyway, I KNOW that I can't win; I'm just not that lore-smart. Props.
Edited by Srdotsalot on 1/11/2013 6:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
I'll give you Gunther. From that orc dude's name, though, I could still see him looking like the generic lich.

But anyway, I KNOW that I can't win; I'm just not that lore-smart. Props.

Personally - I don't understand how the transformation into a Lich causes the person's skeleton to abnormally grow larger and sprout tusks.
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
That... is a good point. Why is that, when it makes much more sense to just be a skeleton... like every other fantasy realm, basically. The tusks are a nice addition, but it's not really realistic.
Reply Quote
Hello Saigas!

My first suggestion would be to reconsider the idea of playing a Death Knight. Mechanically they are primarily a melee class, but in roleplaying you have the freedom to cast magic beyond the limits of your in-game spellbook. The reason I say this is because by playing as unholy, you could have a ghoul companion which you can control the movement and behavior of, and because this would be the only way to have a physical humanoid minion (as opposed to something more ghostly or beastly, which are also cool but not quite as iconic for a necromancer). Neither of these perks are required, but I think they deserve consideration!

The idea of playing a warlock and using the voidwalker as a wraith would have that first perk for controlling your minion. You would need to explain to others that it is not a demon of course, but it's still a very neat idea.

Using a non-combat companion and playing a mage or shadow priest is a clever idea, as long as you don't mind carrying the pet biscuits. It also has its own appeal, because a necromancer (different from the Ebon Knights) will not want to attract too much attention. Limiting his reanimation to an individual hand, a stitched hound, or a fungal creature would all be effective ways to lay low... with the two ghost pets being slightly less safe options. You could consider the idea that your character is calling and communicating with the wandering undead spirits, rather than ripping them from their resting place and enslaving them.

It's up to you, and should be an interesting result either way!

---

01/11/2013 05:09 PMPosted by Maoseitun

According to the the same Wowpedia page you linked, they are sorcerers possessing -tremendous- magical power, and were first created by Kil'jaeden from orc sorcerers after Draenor's destruction. They can cast necromancy and frost magic.

Though it isn't explicitly said, I would assume the ritual of becoming a lich is a separate level from how other undead, like zombies, ghosts, and skeletons, can be risen and still cast magic.

01/11/2013 06:05 PMPosted by Maoseitun
Personally - I don't understand how the transformation into a Lich causes the person's skeleton to abnormally grow larger and sprout tusks.

The answer is probably a combination of cool art design and the ascendancy to a lich being a special gift. The Wowpedia article actually said that the orcs were given "new undead bodies" and were "transformed into twisted abberations." If the art team was actually trying very hard to complement the lore, they might have added made the tusks a universal trait for liches since it would otherwise take two models, one for humans and one for orcs, for this to make sense.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Pardon my asking, but isn't a necromancer someone who raises the dead? Much like Arthas, and the Liches he employs of course. If you wanted to portray that you need to have something to raise as your minions. Or a dedicated couple of friends to sip noggenfogger and hang around with you as your minions.

Could be fun! Personally I think an Unholy DK would work and there is also the perk of being able to summon an army of dead!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
According to the the same Wowpedia page you linked, they are sorcerers possessing -tremendous- magical power, and were first created by Kil'jaeden from orc sorcerers after Draenor's destruction. They can cast necromancy and frost magic.

Though it isn't explicitly said, I would assume the ritual of becoming a lich is a separate level from how other undead, like zombies, ghosts, and skeletons, can be risen and still cast magic.

Even still - Liches are just under spellcasters at their basest design. The best comparison I can give is using other fantasy terms - as none of the WoW ones fit mine correctly.

A Lich is to an undead mage as a wight is to an undead warrior.

Both a Lich and a Wight are higher forms of undead in this fantasy - where a necromancer's will must be in place for the mage and warrior to function, a Lich and a Wight can function practically autonomously. Both remember what they were in life - and more importantly what skills they had in life. A Wight who was a master swordsman is still going to be a master swordsman in undeath, whereas a master swordsman who died and became an undead warrior is just going to be an undead warrior and fight with the same mechanical form of fighting as other mindless undead do fight.

While yes there are some differences (Liches having phylacteries to remain immortal), a Forsaken mage would be able to call themselves a Lich and wouldn't be wrong in doing so - even if they didn't bear the same marks as a Lich.

01/11/2013 07:33 PMPosted by Drelyn
The answer is probably a combination of cool art design and the ascendancy to a lich being a special gift. The Wowpedia article actually said that the orcs were given "new undead bodies" and were "transformed into twisted abberations." If the art team was actually trying very hard to complement the lore, they might have added made the tusks a universal trait for liches since it would otherwise take two models, one for humans and one for orcs, for this to make sense.

Eh - still... it's awkward that as soon as a person dies and becomes a Lich they sprout tusks and look like they just came back from a trip robbing tombs in Egypt.
Reply Quote
I played an Unholy DK shortly after Wrath in my friend's Scourge based guild but not to use him in RP as a Death Knight. RP-wise, I used the Unholy DK as an Acolyte and Necromancer (Something more fun to do now with some of the glyphs out there...). Of course, I had to be very careful of where I went and who I spoke to because... Well... He was an Acolyte of the Scourge. I like the Unholy DK for this role because of both the summoning aspect of the build, but also of the disease and pestilence aspects of the DK in general.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I am thinking a lich more so in the idea of Gunther. I think the Lich King's blessing or extreme magic causes the Lich's bones to twist.

Thanks for the input all. I think I'm gonna do the warlock... :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]