HEALER min/max

66 Troll Mage
I want to be a PVE healer. I want to be a healer that is not over played, effective in raids, and coveted by guilds. Below are my min/max questions. I’m, by no means, looking for the “OP” class. I am just looking for more information so I can make a decision.

1. What essential spell or quality can each healer offer that the others cannot?
Monk
H Priest
D Priest
Druid
Shaman
Paladin

2. Which healer has the best/worst mana management?

3. Which healer is the most/least effective at AoE healing?

4. Which healer is most/least effective at single target healing?

5. Which healer has the most/least survivability?

6. Which healer has the best/worst burst healing ability?

7. Which healer represents the highest/lowest population percentage of healer classes?
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Shaman
If you want to be a PvE healer, you have the wrong mindset, and are taking the wrong approach, imo. You don't magically become a mechanic just because someone told you what tools to buy. That said, one of your criteria is *coveted by guilds,* and to that I would say Paladin, Priest, Shaman...if you can play them well.

Otherwise, all of your questions can be answered very simply with this statement:

The one you play best.

It really is that simple - if you can still make any character you want on the PTR, try them all out, and see which one clicks with you. That's the one you should play.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
This list of comparisons will not help you. The game changes consistently so it is more about finding a style of healing that suits you.

Paladins are strong all around and top most of your list for best. (I got bored of it even though it is balanced well)

Priests are extremely fun right now and will always be good healers. Priest was my main since Vanilla until now. Disc priests due to absorb are always going to top charts and holy priests are like an explosion of strong heals.

Shamans are great in this expansion but that could always change. If you like chain heals and totems go shaman. If they weren't the best would you still like them?

Druids are dot heals and I don't enjoy them but maybe that's your thing? Do you want to be able to battle rez? I haven't seen a druid on top of the healing charts in a long time but im sure there are some good ones.

Then there are monks. Blizzard can't quite figure out what they want to do with us right now. Nerf, buff, nerf buff. Healing has been changing every month since I started playing this one. I love it but it's definitely a different feel of healing compared to others. Chi management, dot heal management, lots of movement, and mana mangement. It will keep you busy.

Anyway hope that helped. My vote for you would be go priest. Two healing options.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Edited by Live on 7/28/2013 10:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
66 Troll Mage
Thank you all for the responses. Obviously i haven't played WOW in a long time. The reason I started this thread was because the top guilds on my server wouldn't accept certain class/spec combinations due to their ineffectiveness. Good to see that is no longer the case.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Disc priest.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
1. This is just from a pally perspective, since it is the only healer I play seriously enough to actually know what im talking about....anyways, beacon of light is the key pally ability, and what really sets them apart from every other healer. It frees you up to spot heal without completely ignoring the tank, and it's pretty much made of win.

2. At the moment, disc has the best mana regen in the game. Most of the other classes are comparable after disc, with my understanding being that holy priests and druids (and maby monks, not sure on that) bringing up the rear.

3. Really hard to quantify. There are multiple types of aoe damage and healing types. Are you stacked or spread? Burst or constant aoe damage? Healers are quite well balanced at the moment; most classes have the ability to effectively aoe heal. One note that shaman are aoe gods when the raid is stacked, but struggle a bit with spread aoe.

4. good single target: Disc priest, holy paladin, and shammy. worst: probably druids or holy priests. Don't know about monks.

5. In my opinion holy paladins are by far the toughest. Plate, and multiple defensive cd's, and...bubble!

6. I'd say resto shammies are the king of burst. Disc too if you count stacking SS before a damaging mechanic.

7. Not sure, I don't see many monks or paladins in the groups I run with though.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
The idea of playing them each on ptr is a good one.

if you like the option of having 2 healing specs, priest is good. if you like heavy armor and large single target healing, paladin is good. if you like cooldown management and superior flexibility between tank and raid healing, shaman is good. if you like hot based healing, druid is good. if you want to do some melee damage and heal and have cool tricks like roll, monk is good.

ultimately, all of them are good. it is up to how you play to make them great. unless you are apping to method, no1curr if you aren't the op class of the moment.

also, more content than ever requires heavy use of a dps offspec, so pick the class with the damage spec that you enjoy the most.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/16/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Fluffy
also, more content than ever requires heavy use of a dps offspec, so pick the class with the damage spec that you enjoy the most.

Best advice in this thread.

Seriously, if you want to be 'coveted by guilds', be one of those rare unicorns who can actually DPS as well as a mainspec DPS and enjoy it. Then just be a competent healer in whatever your healing spec is, and be willing to do your best to keep both specs geared. You'll have raids falling all over themselves to recruit you.
Edited by Kaels on 1/16/2013 6:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
01/16/2013 03:47 PMPosted by Live
These days I find it's hard to stick with a class that will be generally "coveted by guilds."

Exactly.

Every class (healer or otherwise) is a specific tool. Let's say Druids are wrenches, Paladins are Phillips-head screwdrivers, Priests are standard screwdrivers, Shaman are hex wrenches and Monks are torque wrenches. We can all be used for tighening things. But for different specific tighening needs, you'll want a different tool to tighten with. I'm pretty good at using my wrench, but I'm awful at using my standard screwdriver, and I have no idea how to use a torque wrench.

And I definitely agree with having a DPS spec that you not only enjoy, but are good at. The other resto druid in my guild is good at Boomkin, so he swaps to Boomie for some fights. I go Kitty for some fights.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

1. What essential spell or quality can each healer offer that the others cannot?
Monk
H Priest
D Priest
Druid
Shaman
Paladin

Every healer brings something unique/different. Nothing overly of note that is ever mandatory for a raid group to bring that another healer cannot either provide or more than make up for.

Disc priest. Although all classes (with gear) offer enough resource management.
The worst class for mana management is the one being played by the worst healer in the group.

Complicated question to answer. Depends alot upon content; 10m or 25m?
25m probably monk?
Shaman and Holy Priest are quite strong in aoe heals. Really can't go wrong with either of these 3. Resto Druid is good as well, but is an absolute disaster if you bring into 25m.

4. Which healer is most/least effective at single target healing?

This question is no longer a viable as every healer offers good single target healing. If I had to pick a best, I'd take Pally and Disc priest. Worst, I know nothing of monks, but I hear they're pretty bad. Every other healer single heals very well.

Depends really on your definition of survivability;
Who can take the most hits/damage? Pally, followed by Shaman. Priest last.
Who has the most mobility? Resto Druid/Monk.

Best Disc Priest
Worst Resto Druid

7. Which healer represents the highest/lowest population percentage of healer classes?

Probably very hard to answer this one as I suppose it could vary by server.
I see heaps of priests, 90% of which are disc.
I see very few monks.

Imo you should also be concerned with what type of unique cooldowns one can bring to a raid, so I'll throw that out there; Resto Shaman's healing tide totem and mana tide are absolutely the best CD's in the game from the perspective of if you're the other healer. Incredibly invaluable.

Worst raid cooldowns...I hear monks have garbage. Excluding monks, either Pally or Druid have the worst.
Edited by Tonydanza on 1/17/2013 11:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Monk - DPS = Healing (weak special in some respects)
H Priest - Guardian Angel (Yay tsu long, one fight)
D Priest - Barrier (25% damage reduction), Spirit Shell (nullify burst damage)
Druid - Mobile healing center
Shaman - Mana Tide (~17% more spirit for everyone), Spirit Link (10% damage reduction, 100% effectiveness for AoE healing), Stormlash - raid burst damage
Paladin - Tank healing, versitile

Monks penalize the hardest if you mess it up with their mana tea stuff. That doesn't make it worse though, just means LTP.
Disc is the easiest because they simply have more. A double rapture mana tide and a squid can recoup them to 200k from 0k pretty fast.

spread or stacked... this stuff matters

Pally most. Shaman least against magic. Physical someone else.

Disc deals with burst the best. Shaman has the highest burst output.
Druids lack burst output hence the shrooms 5.2 buffs.

Priests/paladin/Shamans are the most common right now. Monks and Druids are lower.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Disc is the easiest because they simply have more. A double rapture mana tide and a squid can recoup them to 200k from 0k pretty fast.

Except this won't exist next patch and should never have existed in the first place.

01/17/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Tonydanza
This question is no longer a viable as every healer offers good single target healing. If I had to pick a best, I'd take Pally and Disc priest. Worst, I know nothing of monks, but I hear they're pretty bad. Every other healer single heals very well.

Disc has awful single target healing, completely reliant on CD's, grace and a little bit of RNG. If you want stable single target, I'd choose a Paladin or Shaman over a Priest any day.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Monk - Function as a melee class (don't trigger wind bomb/tornadoes). Great aoe heals during constant dmg.
H Priest - Good throughput, but kinda the swiss army knife healer. No special niche.
D Priest - Raid dmg mitigation. Essential to have one of these in 25mans and quite nice in 10mans.
Druid - Their hots shine in constant dmg, but they get sniped to death by non-hot-healers. A little underpowered at the moment.
Shaman - gods of stacked healing. Not quite as good at spread healing. Great to have at least one of these in 25mans as well, not quite as good in 10s but still decent.
Paladin - Great tank healing with beacon. They're really pretty good all around nowadays (spread, stacked, tank healing, raid healing).

2. Which healer has the best/worst mana management? THis seems pretty balanced to me. It comes down to the player managing their mana well more than the class.

3. Which healer is the most/least effective at AoE healing? Shaman or Monk for stacked fights. Probably D-Priest or even H-Priest for spread fights. Least effective; probably druid for stacked fights and Pally for spread fights.

4. Which healer is most/least effective at single target healing? Pally is the tank heal go-to imo. Druids reliance on hots makes tank spike dmg pretty dangerous.

5. Which healer has the most/least survivability? I feel this is pretty balanced really. Shaman does have rebirth for a do-over though, so I guess we're a pretty good pick here.

6. Which healer has the best/worst burst healing ability? Shaman - Ascendence + Healing Tide Totem is just silly powerful. Worst; Druids. Hot classes really shine for triage healing like cata. Not so much of that during MoP.

7. Which healer represents the highest/lowest population percentage of healer classes? D-Priests are Jesus atm, so they're everywhere. I see a ton of r-shaman this expac too. There are still a lot of Druids even though they kinda suck right now. Maybe it's just me but I don't see many Pallies healing nowadays. Could just be my server.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The correct answer to all of your questions is resto shaman. Best and worst at everything all bundled up into one class.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

Except this won't exist next patch and should never have existed in the first place.

Well that sure answers the question, I didn't realize we were looking into the future with all of our reasoning. Might as well delete the thread now, since nobody knows what any healer will look like in 2 years.

Disc has awful single target healing, completely reliant on CD's, grace and a little bit of RNG. If you want stable single target, I'd choose a Paladin or Shaman over a Priest any day.

Except...you have the best single target Cds and hands down the best mitigation heals in the game... mitigation = tank style heals. PW:S + Penance... Boy, I'd love to have just those two. Wanna know my rotation on a fight like Will of Emperor? (Super heavy tank dmg) Regrowth Spam and SM on cooldown.

That's essentially you sitting there for an entire fight doing nothing but flash heal, while throwing in a PW:S every 15 seconds. Except you have the mana cooldowns to be able to sustain it.
Edited by Tonydanza on 1/17/2013 2:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin

Well... it's datamined patch notes. Don't get all butt-hurt.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Well... it's datamined patch notes. Don't get all butt-hurt.

It isn't datamined patch notes. It's in the published patch notes, and GC has made it clear it's intentional.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Disc will still have the most regen in the game, aside from Monks which have confusing mana tea-ness. Rapture still doubles non-temporary spirit. That'll lead to faster recovery. Though regen irrelevant until you consider the mana costs of spells, and how much healing they do. Since PoH won't be as powerful, disc will get less benefit from the additional regen next patch.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
all of your questions can be answered very simply with this statement:

The one you play best.

It really is that simple - if you can still make any character you want on the PTR, try them all out, and see which one clicks with you. That's the one you should play.

01/16/2013 03:14 PMPosted by Averyhh
This list of comparisons will not help you. The game changes consistently so it is more about finding a style of healing that suits you.

01/16/2013 03:47 PMPosted by Live
The effectiveness of a healer is also hard to gauge on his/her own, since in many cases synergy between a raid group is what dictates what healer is more appropriate for what situation.

These first three posts hit the nail on the head, for me.

I've raided on three healers so far in MoP - my Mistweaver was to be my main so she's got all my current progress, but Iritha was my main through Wrath and Cata, and I love playing her so I got her levelled & geared enough to do fun-time ultra casual raiding... but in the end I've decided the direction Blizz is taking Mistweaver isn't for me, and I've levelled and geared my resto shaman, who'll be stepping in on my guild's progression work starting tomorrow (... since we now have two other priests in the guild, I don't want to bring back Iritha, in a 10man setting).

Anyway, enough about me.

My three considerations, if I were starting a new toon, intending to level it to heal end-game content, would be:

1) Which do I enjoy most? Before I dealt with the evolution of the Mistweavers on live (played one, extensively lvl 1 - 90, on Beta), I had no idea there were healers I wouldn't enjoy (admittedly, I had no end-game experience with any class, any spec, except for Disc/holy/shadow on Iritha).

2 a) Do I know who I'm going to be raiding with? If so, what are the other healers in that group? Granted, by the time you get a toon to lvl 90 and geared to raid, even if you do so incredibly quickly, that reality may already have changed in the guild. But it's a decent thing to consider, if you know the group you'll be raiding with.

2 b) What about OS? Does the class I'm considering have an offspec I'll be interested in keeping up? Raiding is about being as flexible as you can for your raid group.

3) Gear (especially relevant if you know the group you'll be raiding with) - if I play priest, I may have heavy competition for some gear (every healer ends up wearing *some* gear without Spirit on it, and unless you're a pally, that gear is contested. Cloth healers have more competition for healing gear than any other healer); if I play druid or monk, I have less competition for leather gear; if I play shaman, there's even less competition for mail gear (only competition is elemental shaman); if I play pally, as mentioned above, I have no competition for plate gear at all.

... if you really can't figure out which healer you enjoy playing the most, my advice would be priest simply because if one healing spec ends up being less awesome with patch changes, you always have the other healing spec to go to - and also simply for min/max considerations; it's occasionally highly beneficial to be able to go Disc for a certain fight, and Holy for others. Since you're asking specifically about min/max.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]