Can you guys say why it's ok (MW)...

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Hey, so just kinda asking you all...

So, why is it ok that MW monk can bring the same HPS as other healers and yet they can bring, simultaneously, something other healers simply can not - lots of DPS.

A lot of monk healing in many fights is via eminence, and other healers simply can not bring anything close to MW monk dps - Isn't that a bit unfair, considering there is no tradeoff?

They have a great package - great regen with mana tea, possibly the best aoe healing in game with uplift spam + tft + rm, good single target heals with SM + EM and great DPS + smart heal through eminence and a ridiculously OP heal with spinning kick
Edited by Bloodydeekay on 1/17/2013 8:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Disc priest says hello!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
01/17/2013 08:14 PMPosted by Vishtara
Disc priest says hello!

Hello - can you tell me how you can put out even ~half the HPS as a monk while spamming HF + smite? Not even doable. You can compete with Monk hps (probably not even that after patch) but you aren't in the same realm of them in dps (which matters a lot )
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
uhhh... disc priests can actually put out more dps than monks lol
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
And more hps with poh spam at least mw have to balance rm tft and uplift
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

So, why is it ok that MW monk can bring the same HPS as other healers and yet they can bring, simultaneously, something other healers simply can not - lots of DPS.

A lot of monk healing in many fights is via eminence, and other healers simply can not bring anything close to MW monk dps - Isn't that a bit unfair, considering there is no tradeoff?

They have a great package - great regen with mana tea, possibly the best aoe healing in game with uplift spam + tft + rm, good single target heals with SM + EM and great DPS + smart heal through eminence and a ridiculously OP heal with spinning kick

Beacause to do this on a mana eficient way is a really complicated thing to do. And its a lot of work, and i mean a lot of work. The only fight i dont this is on garalon just because is the better way to be done. On other fights i avoid dpsing/healing just because its a stressfull job to do. If you got a monk on your group that do this every time and do it well, do not let this guy go.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
ITT LFR hero that's never played a healer in his life complaining about a non-issue
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Holy can, but it is a strange mechanic. Smite for FDCL procs and thus Serendipity. Depending on luck, I can top the charts on some LFR bosses in healing, and get some meh damage out. Well more damage than the other healers, and usually a few DPS that do not know their class.

It is just unpredictable, cumbersome, and very few healers choose to use it in a raid environment.

Point is that it is there.

Edit: splling
Edited by Sassinak on 1/18/2013 5:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk

1) uplift "spam"+tft+rm is only as good as your luck with the rm hops aligning with the damage intake, also, uplift is not spammable; see disc priests for best aoe healing in the game currently-hence their lofty perch in all raid sizes/difficulties for raidbots...
2) good single target heals? lololololololol
3) you left off "the absolute worst collection of raid utility brought by a healing spec other than the damage", that's the trade-off, other healers can save the raid, mw can kill the boss faster
4) SCK heals for pretty much nothing and will OOM you in no time flat
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
His profile sais Blood Elf.. but i'm thinking Troll
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I mean there arent DPS numbers for healers on WoL but i have done up to around 67k dps on Elegon

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/b4x38ggt439r6v4e/sum/damageDone/?s=12351&e=12796

Id say getting 67k out of the healer spot is pretty amazing coupled with the fact that its just about mana nuetral for me to do this. Not really sure what monks can do in terms of dps but I cant imagine them being to far ahead of that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
01/18/2013 09:14 AMPosted by Linnelle
3) you left off "the absolute worst collection of raid utility brought by a healing spec other than the damage", that's the trade-off, other healers can save the raid, mw can kill the boss faster

Yep, this.

here is my Disc priest. I can also post on my Mistweaver if you'd like (she's the one who's done 11/16 10man normal; I was Disc/Disc in Cata; played both AA/A and non-AA/A when there used to be a choice)

Disc Atonement dps/healing > MW dps/healing. Bigger numbers, when done correctly, and also better because Disc dps grants access to the 18sec Archangel 25% healing buff.
Reply Quote
15 Human Mage
Sometimes I do LFR as a holy priest in chastise chakra smiting 75% of the time and still get high on the healing meter. Holy doesn't even have atonement.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I recently ended my experiment in the mistweaver in favor of returning to my priest. I do more healing, in a more controlled fashion, prevent damage (Life cacoon doesn't really count for squat here), trivialize some mechanics, have more raid utility, have the option of going holy (hello Tsulong), and do more damage.

And the tanks like me more since they don't spike as much.

We decided that utilizing intellect leather, balancing tokens (in a ten man), and lower the number of clothies what not worth having a mistweaver in the raid. My first non-LFR raid experience since the second week of raiding (on my priest) was H Bladelord.
Reply Quote
47 Blood Elf Monk
This toon is still low level so I can't say what it will be like at higher levels, but I find it incredibly easy to just spam Spinning Crane Kick, while occasionally HoTing with Renewing Mists, and I haven't had a wipe since I got those abilities. I'm assuming it gets more complicated later on but as of right now it seems very easy. This is also my first healer so I can't say how it is compared to other healers. But as one of those seemingly benefiting, I can't complain!
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
First of all, they don't bring LOTS of DPS, they bring moderate DPS.

Also why they can bring that much HPS? Probably because their raid utility in the form of cooldowns is rather lacking. If they buff MW raid healing via cooldowns, or allow them to bring more utility they would need to be tuned as such.

01/18/2013 05:40 PMPosted by Nekocat
This toon is still low level so I can't say what it will be like at higher levels, but I find it incredibly easy to just spam Spinning Crane Kick, while occasionally HoTing with Renewing Mists, and I haven't had a wipe since I got those abilities. I'm assuming it gets more complicated later on but as of right now it seems very easy. This is also my first healer so I can't say how it is compared to other healers. But as one of those seemingly benefiting, I can't complain!
Spinning crane kick just heals for to much at a lower level, by the time you hit 90 it'll be much more complicated than that.
Edited by Gasleak on 1/18/2013 11:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
01/18/2013 11:51 PMPosted by Gasleak
Spinning crane kick just heals for to much at a lower level, by the time you hit 90 it'll be much more complicated than that.

Not to mention the fact that at lower levels the mana issues just don't exist. I'm guessing that by the time he hits the mid 70s "spin to win" will become a thing of the past either because the healing will have dropped off enough or the mana cost impact will start being felt. I'm not sure exactly when that happens now though since I leveled pre 5.1.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Your opinion just might change a little bit should you actually make it to 90.

In other news, I don't have the DPS requirements to pass Blat, but I feel so OP broken for getting that far. That's some srs bsns meter topping.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]