"Remove flying mounts"middle ground solution?

Just an idea that popped into my head, I don't claim it's the best idea, but it could possibly be a middle ground between the "remove flying mounts" and the "keep flying mounts" contingents.

What if you add fatigue to flying? It's hard work...currently our flying mounts can travel the width and breadth of Azeroth without even having to stop for a breather...what if blizz added a fatigue bar with a set amount of time (cumulative) and after the bar runs out there's a 5 or 10 minute cooldown before you could fly again, or you have to feed or water your mount or something like that? For the feeding/watering option, rather than taking up valuable bag space, it could be an ability, similar to the one currently in use for healing your battle pets.

Does this solution make everyone happy? I doubt it, but it seems like a good place to start anyways...feedback?
85 Dwarf Hunter
01/18/2013 08:01 AMPosted by Besh
Does this solution make everyone happy? I doubt it, but it seems like a good place to start anyways...feedback?

You knew when you posted this that it wasn't anything like middle ground, because there IS no middle ground. Flying stays or flying goes - period.
90 Human Mage
01/18/2013 08:03 AMPosted by Bruaidin

You knew when you posted this that it wasn't anything like middle ground, because there IS no middle ground. Flying stays or flying goes - period.

This
If flying goes so does a good portion of Blizzards Subs you can take that to the bank.

So doubt Bliz wants to cost them even more subs than they already have done.

Beating a dead horse, give it a burial!
90 Orc Shaman
I'm already happy with flying, so no.
If you don't like flying go park in Eversong Woods and stay there.

Who ever said I don't like flying? I LOVE flying, if they removed it from the game I would gouge my eyes out with a spoon and then gamequit...my suggestion for a solution is basically an attempt to placate the "remove flying" people while still giving the people who love flight "nearly" unrestricted access to it (with the exception of a nominal cooldown timer).
90 Human Rogue
Whaaaaaat... Why do we need a solution for flying? WTF is with these topics people are making where flying suddenly became some kind of problem?
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
That won't change the people that have a problem with flying. They don't want you flying from quest objective to objective so unless the fatigue kicked in after 5s it would be pointless (and if it DID you might as well remove flying anyway).
Edited by Shimaia on 1/18/2013 8:18 AM PST
there's like a dozen ppl who dont want flying out of the millions of subs, there's no reason to placate them.

everytime blizz buckcles to the vocal minority we get bad things like pve nerfs due to pvp or cataclysm

its just bad for everyone, including blizz's bottom line (lost subs)
90 Blood Elf Warrior
01/18/2013 08:16 AMPosted by Rixus
Whaaaaaat... Why do we need a solution for flying? WTF is with these topics people are making where flying suddenly became some kind of problem?

This. I swear.

If people don't like flying, the solution is simple: DON'T FLY.
Just an idea that popped into my head, I don't claim it's the best idea, but it could possibly be a middle ground between the "remove flying mounts" and the "keep flying mounts" contingents.

What if you add fatigue to flying? It's hard work...currently our flying mounts can travel the width and breadth of Azeroth without even having to stop for a breather...what if blizz added a fatigue bar with a set amount of time (cumulative) and after the bar runs out there's a 5 or 10 minute cooldown before you could fly again, or you have to feed or water your mount or something like that? For the feeding/watering option, rather than taking up valuable bag space, it could be an ability, similar to the one currently in use for healing your battle pets.

What if you just stopped trying to force people that don't want to pvp into pvp by grounding them against their will, and making archaeology (the purpose for which it was added to the old world, and without which you can't do it) go from unbearable to impossible?

If you are going through ganking and camping withdrawl, there are countless ways to do that without ruining the game for everyone else and destroying the one aspect of the game for which it was specifically added.
Edited by Adiathna on 1/18/2013 8:30 AM PST
90 Troll Druid
01/18/2013 08:03 AMPosted by Bruaidin

Really? That's your response? I don't believe it's that black and white. There's most definitely a middle ground.

I actually have to give some props to the OP for thinking outside the box on this one. I'm not saying it's the best idea, but I like the thought and the direction. Limiting it without totally destroying it.

With that said, I think Blizz realizes that there's no way they can do away with flying mounts now. The tears produced would flood all of Azeroth AND Outland.
90 Human Warlock
01/18/2013 08:01 AMPosted by Besh
What if you add fatigue to flying?

No.

If people don't like flying, they can stay on the ground.

I ran until level 40, I went through crazy questlines for a mount at 60. I had slow, slow flying at 70 & couldn't afford epic until 80. I did Strange Trip & got my 310 flying thanks to it.

& after going through all that, I'd like to keep my damn flyers the way they are, thank you very much.
90 Blood Elf Mage
01/18/2013 08:16 AMPosted by Rixus

This.
90 Human Death Knight
If flying goes so does a good portion of Blizzards Subs you can take that to the bank.

So doubt Bliz wants to cost them even more subs than they already have done.

Beating a dead horse, give it a burial!

And a good deal more would re-sub because world pvp would be back. The swing goes both ways sir.

Also @ OP that wouldn't work because it doesn't fix the issue of break combat for 5 seconds and then fly away. Which is the major complaint about flying.
85 Dwarf Warlock
There is no need for a "Solution" because it's not broken. Bliz has already said that there are no plans to change it and that they don't feel there is a problem. The Flight system works exactly as intended. If you feel that flying isn't contributing to your game, then excercise your option to not use it. I'll be excercising my option to use it as often as needed, as I'm sure 99.9% of the rest of the players will be.
90 Human Paladin

Who ever said I don't like flying? I LOVE flying, if they removed it from the game I would gouge my eyes out with a spoon and then gamequit...my suggestion for a solution is basically an attempt to placate the "remove flying" people while still giving the people who love flight "nearly" unrestricted access to it (with the exception of a nominal cooldown timer).

Who needs to "placate" anyone in the first place? Flying's here to stay, the complainers are stuck in the past with rose-colored glasses syndrome or have a so-called "World PVP" agenda, and the whole discussion is a solution in search of a problem.
I think that people who don't want to use flying mounts, aka me, should get off them and ride a land mount, which is what I do. So why do we need a middle ground? Its a senseless complaint...use a land mount, end of story.

/cast Zhevra
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]