"Remove flying mounts"middle ground solution?

90 Gnome Warlock
01/18/2013 06:42 PMPosted by Hippeaux
He didn't say he hated it, he mentioned pros and cons to it.

GC has stated more than once how much he dislikes flying mounts and wishes they could be removed, but realistically can't follow up on that desire due to the damage it would do to WoW's sub count. To add to that, he's noted that the developers get frustrated by the existance of flying mounts more often than not due to it allowing faster travel times in between quest goals (which is why it's always disabled while levelling despite such an arbitrary limitation serving no functional purpose).

I genuinely don't get why the devs hate flyers so much, and take every opportunity that they can to just say "haha! No more flying for you, suckers.", but it's getting old; and being told "we know what you like more than you do" every time people point out that, no we don't like having our mounts taken away from us, isn't exactly endearing us to their decisions on the matter.
Edited by Bomdanil on 1/18/2013 10:03 PM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
Dont like flying ?
Dont fly.

It really is that simple.
90 Human Priest
If flying goes so does a good portion of Blizzards Subs you can take that to the bank.

So doubt Bliz wants to cost them even more subs than they already have done.

Beating a dead horse, give it a burial!

And a good deal more would re-sub because world pvp would be back. The swing goes both ways sir.

Also @ OP that wouldn't work because it doesn't fix the issue of break combat for 5 seconds and then fly away. Which is the major complaint about flying.

It's not world pvp that you are advocating though, it is ganking. If people wanted to pvp, they'd get off their mounts and pvp. Clearly they are not interested in pvp or being ganked, so they fly.
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm starting to wish that Blizzard would remove flying mounts completely for one week. I feel like a good number of the people who seem to think this kind of restriction is a good idea would rapidly change their minds if actually faced with it as a reality.

We would have a forum RIOT like we had with the Real ID debacle. Bet on it.
90 Human Priest
01/18/2013 09:58 PMPosted by Bomdanil
but it's getting old; and being told "we know what you like more than you do" every time people point out that, no we don't like having our mounts taken away from us, isn't exactly endearing us to their decisions on the matter.
They never say that, what they say is that they know what's better for the game long term.
11 Orc Hunter
01/18/2013 09:58 PMPosted by Bomdanil
I genuinely don't get why the devs hate flyers so much, and take every opportunity that they can to just say "haha! No more flying for you, suckers.", but it's getting old; and being told "we know what you like more than you do" every time people point out that, no we don't like having our mounts taken away from us, isn't exactly endearing us to their decisions on the matter.

You're seeing this as a player, not a developer. In order to understand the developers, you have to think like one, and that partially means not being nearly so defensive about being insulted or losing stuff that you've earned.

The only thing that's holding me back from wholeheartedly supporting more restrictions on flying mounts is the existence of PvP servers. When Blizzard inevitably does the right thing, I'll be much more receptive to more restrictions on flying mounts.

Why? Because from a developer's standpoint, it's nearly impossible to design zones around flying mounts. Blizzard tried in Cataclysm, and the zones didn't turn out very well. It's tough to get players immersed in a zone when they can just fly over packs of mobs and skip straight to the boss guy they need to kill. It's just too efficient. The zones also don't look nearly as good from the air; I remember getting on my 85 warrior in Jade Forest a couple of days ago, and just thinking "wow, I forgot how amazing this zone looked." I fly over it all the time, but when I can't fly I notice so much more.

The developers in BC were smart. They intentionally set the speed of flying mounts slower than the speed of epic ground mounts to try to keep players from using their normal flyers 100% of the time. People also forget that 5k gold was a tremendous amount of money back in BC, especially before the era of dailies. Epic flying mounts were reserved for the elite, and maybe the cost of epic flying should have been boosted with each expansion to keep it that way.
90 Undead Warlock
Not this again.

Yes, this again. :\
Edited by Theedge on 1/10/2014 5:15 AM PST
90 Human Paladin
I got a great idea.

Why don't we just ban all these busybodies who have no suggestions beside taking away stuff we like to suit them and their playstyle?

Another "solution" they should have no objection to, since they wanna tell everyone what to do and all.
Edited by Perigort on 1/18/2013 10:42 PM PST
90 Human Death Knight
01/18/2013 10:34 PMPosted by Kteist

You're seeing this as a player, not a developer. In order to understand the developers, you have to think like one, and that partially means not being nearly so defensive about being insulted or losing stuff that you've earned.

The only thing that's holding me back from wholeheartedly supporting more restrictions on flying mounts is the existence of PvP servers. When Blizzard inevitably does the right thing, I'll be much more receptive to more restrictions on flying mounts.

Why? Because from a developer's standpoint, it's nearly impossible to design zones around flying mounts. Blizzard tried in Cataclysm, and the zones didn't turn out very well. It's tough to get players immersed in a zone when they can just fly over packs of mobs and skip straight to the boss guy they need to kill. It's just too efficient. The zones also don't look nearly as good from the air; I remember getting on my 85 warrior in Jade Forest a couple of days ago, and just thinking "wow, I forgot how amazing this zone looked." I fly over it all the time, but when I can't fly I notice so much more.

The developers in BC were smart. They intentionally set the speed of flying mounts slower than the speed of epic ground mounts to try to keep players from using their normal flyers 100% of the time. People also forget that 5k gold was a tremendous amount of money back in BC, especially before the era of dailies. Epic flying mounts were reserved for the elite, and maybe the cost of epic flying should have been boosted with each expansion to keep it that way.

Developers views on what's best for the game aren't absolute and without fault.

Your opinion on what the zones are best viewed from is just that your view, a view I don't share.

You display an elitist agenda, which I very much suspect is the only real reason for everything else in your post.
90 Undead Warlock
First, a recap.

Flying mounts were originally introduced in Burning Crusade, with two purposes in mind:

-Provide access to exclusive high level areas.

-A more convenient form of transportation.

Flying mounts did fulfill those roles, but it also had an unforeseen consequence: Flying also provided protection from anything present in the world, be it players or mobs. Flying high enough became the unofficial pause button for the game.

This had not much effect on PvE servers, but on PvP ones, the change impacted hard on the very purpose of a PvP server, which is to engage the other faction in the open world.

See, for world PvP to happen, a player must be in a position in which he needs help to deal with the situation. For example, he is being camped by two players, he calls a few guildies to help, the other guys ask for reinforcements and it snowballs from there.

Flying mounts removed this, as all a player needed to do was to dodge his enemies long enough to get his mount cast off and fly away. Ground mounts, while also a good escape mechanism, at least gave the other player a chance to catch his target.

The entrance to raids, which had always been a hotspot for fights, are now crowded with people of both factions simply hovering there, waiting for their raid group to be ready, safe from any attacks, and unable to attack if they wanted.

Now, as I understand it, the appeal of a PvP server hinges on the thrill of knowing you could be attacked by the other faction, on any place, at any time. Flying mounts introduced a portable sanctuary for every player, which defeats the purpose of a PvP server at it's very core.

And that is a problem.

Removing flying mounts is obviously out of the question, as they provide a huge amount of convenience, so we must deal with this immunity in another way, which finally brings me to the topic that is in the title: Aerial Combat.

A way to engage airborne players is the clearest solution in my opinion, but obviously it could not be conventional, as ranged classes would dominate.

Here is my idea on how it could work:

-Flying mounts now have HP, and a set of abilities of their own.

-Mounts can only be harmed by other mounts.

-Mounts can only attack other mounts.

-The abilities could consist of a weak ranged attack, a strong melee attack, and a shield. (Energy as a resource)

-Should a mount get below 50% HP, it will begin to fall, and if it reaches 0%, it plummets and dismounts the player once it lands (No fall damage, and debuffs the player with a cooldown on his flying mount)

-Mount HP regenerates outside combat.

The objective of aerial combat would be to dismount the other player, and engage him once he is on the ground.

This would also give the attacked player a chance to resist the assault , and should he win, continue about his business.

I believe this is a mechanic that is implementable, and could potentially bring back World PvP.

What do you guys think?
90 Worgen Mage
Flying mounts now have HP, and a set of abilities of their own.

-The abilities could consist of a weak ranged attack, a strong melee attack, and a shield. (Energy as a resource)
-Should a mount get below 50% HP, it will begin to fall, and if it reaches 0%, it plummets and dismounts the player once it lands (No fall damage, and debuffs the player with a cooldown on his flying mount)
The objective of aerial combat would be to dismount the other player, and engage him once he is on the ground.
This would also give the attacked player a chance to resist the assault , and should he win, continue about his business.
I believe this is a mechanic that is implementable, and could potentially bring back World PvP.
What do you guys think?

For the last time.

I think that I am in a PVE server and "world pvp:" can go get stuffed. Dont want it, dont care for it, am not interested in it and your idea sucks. I paid real money for my flying mounts and I loathe pvp.

In other words you want to force pvp on PVE realms, to suit your own gankfest agenda.

What do i think?

NO.
Edited by Zhenogre on 1/18/2013 11:34 PM PST
90 Undead Warlock
Flying mounts now have HP, and a set of abilities of their own.

What do you guys think?

I think that I am in a PVE server and "world pvp:" can go get stuffed. Dont want it, dont care for it, am not interested in it and your idea sucks. I paid real money for my flying mounts and I loathe pvp.

In other words you want to force pvp on PVE realms, to suit your own gankfest agenda.

What do i think?

NO.

PvP flag restrictions still apply obviously.
90 Worgen Mage
PvP flag restrictions still apply obviously.

Nice backpedal.
10 Tauren Warrior
If you don't like flying mounts don't use them.

Why does this discussion keep coming up?
If you don't like flying mounts don't use them.

Why does this discussion keep coming up?

Because If what they say is true, and the ground is empty. Then it looks like people are losing their desire to pvp. Otherwise they would be on the ground pvping.

So it's an attempt to force people to the ground so they have no choice but to pvp with them.
90 Troll Shaman
No.
01/18/2013 06:13 PMPosted by Bashiok
Not this again.
88 Blood Elf Hunter
If you don't like flying mounts, don't use flying mounts? There is no rule saying you HAVE to use them. I don't understand why people feel they are forced into it and say if they don't want them, then nobody should have them.

There are times when I don't feel like using my flying mounts (it does make the world feel smaller), so I just go ride around on my ground ones. It's that easy.
Edited by Cozzene on 1/19/2013 12:09 AM PST
90 Tauren Death Knight
Getting rid of Flying mounts . . . lets ponder a minute, I have Earned Flyers and Bought Flyers, and so someone says "no flyers" in the game? thats part OF the game, If Blizz wants to kill off Flyers . . . I WILL EXPECT A REFUND IN FULL. I have PAID hundreds of dollars to Blizz, the game is fine but if u take things I paid for. . .
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]