"Remove flying mounts"middle ground solution?

MVP
90 Human Mage
01/18/2013 08:26 AMPosted by Killercaitie
I went through crazy questlines for a mount at 60.

I loved those questlines. There was a time when mounting up on a dreadsteed was truly something special and noteworthy.

I kind of wonder if moving from walking to riding to riding fast to flying was as monumental a task as it used to be if so many people would be so eager to see the process undone.
90 Draenei Death Knight
No. This is no middle ground. Like a person stated.. there is no real middle ground. It either exists or doesn't.
100 Undead Rogue
01/18/2013 08:26 AMPosted by Killercaitie
What if you add fatigue to flying?

No.

If people don't like flying, they can stay on the ground.

I ran until level 40, I went through crazy questlines for a mount at 60. I had slow, slow flying at 70 & couldn't afford epic until 80. I did Strange Trip & got my 310 flying thanks to it.

& after going through all that, I'd like to keep my damn flyers the way they are, thank you very much.

"Pretty much same here."
100 Human Priest
I think that people who don't want to use flying mounts, aka me, should get off them and ride a land mount, which is what I do. So why do we need a middle ground? Its a senseless complaint...use a land mount, end of story.

/cast Zhevra

You're misunderstanding. It's not that THEY don't want to fly....they want YOU to not be allowed to fly. It interferes with their ganking and camping agendas.

If they can make it so others can't fly, they can extend their ganking and camping infinitely. It's not fun for level 90's that spot a level 60 herbing or mining unless they can one shot him and then camp the area for 3 or 4 hours so that person can't play wow at all that night. Those pesky 60's are learning to use stuns, roots, blinks, bubbles, etc,... to escape being camped for 3 or 4 hours straight by a level 90, and it is ruining the fun for the level 90. They should ban those level 60's that escape griefing in that fashion...unfair!
90 Human Paladin
Just an idea that popped into my head, I don't claim it's the best idea, but it could possibly be a middle ground between the "remove flying mounts" and the "keep flying mounts" contingents.

What if you add fatigue to flying? It's hard work...currently our flying mounts can travel the width and breadth of Azeroth without even having to stop for a breather...what if blizz added a fatigue bar with a set amount of time (cumulative) and after the bar runs out there's a 5 or 10 minute cooldown before you could fly again, or you have to feed or water your mount or something like that? For the feeding/watering option, rather than taking up valuable bag space, it could be an ability, similar to the one currently in use for healing your battle pets.

Does this solution make everyone happy? I doubt it, but it seems like a good place to start anyways...feedback?

There isn't really have a problem with long flights. It's the short hops between quest objectives that are the issue at hand. Fatigue wouldn't address this. A cooldown on flying mounts could though. If mounting up triggered a 2 minute CD on flying mounts, players would be forced to stay on the ground a lot more.
100 Night Elf Druid
Why are people trying to create panic that they are removing flying? They are not going to remove flying. Just... STOP.
100 Human Priest
01/18/2013 08:46 AMPosted by Yandere
There isn't really have a problem with long flights. It's the short hops between quest objectives that are the issue at hand. Fatigue wouldn't address this. A cooldown on flying mounts could though. If mounting up triggered a 2 minute CD on flying mounts, players would be forced to stay on the ground a lot more.

You pvp'ers are looking for bgs. Those are that way ------>

This is not World of Exclusively PVP. If you don't like people escaping your ganking and camping by flight, bliz gave you multiple places you can accomplish that...tol barad, wintergrasp, a variety of battle grounds, etc,......

Stop trying to force the entire world to be a battle ground. More people play this game than just pvp'ers.
90 Draenei Death Knight
01/18/2013 08:44 AMPosted by Adiathna
You're misunderstanding. It's not that THEY don't want to fly....they want YOU to not be allowed to fly. It interferes with their ganking and camping agendas.

I'm starting to wonder this myself.. what other reason would there to be to be so worried about other people flying, when you really don't have to?
100 Human Paladin
No thanks, I earned/bought my ability to fly and prefer keeping it (excluding of course no fly zones), in the event flying were removed, this player would close the door, been already to many things paid for trained for AT a cost that were subsequently removed and or changed (fees lowered) and no reimbursment offered, add flying to that and it would be the end.

If this is in regards to wpvp, well, those that really want true wpvp would not be on their flyers but on the ground in combat, if on flyers they are either avoiding wpvp or they are using said flyer to find and take out lower lvl players.
Edited by Melinjem on 1/18/2013 8:58 AM PST
90 Human Warlock
Ghod... just stop with these threads. We who pay the bills also have 40 hour a week jobs and do not wished to be inconvenienced. If we wanted an immersive MMORPG without flight we could easily ditch WOW and play something with better graphics.
90 Undead Warlock
I personally enjoyed the game more when there were no flying mounts, I would actually like it if they took flying mounts out of the game altogether (I know this isn't going to happen just an opinion)
90 Human Warlock
No.

If people don't like flying, they can stay on the ground.

I ran until level 40, I went through crazy questlines for a mount at 60. I had slow, slow flying at 70 & couldn't afford epic until 80. I did Strange Trip & got my 310 flying thanks to it.

& after going through all that, I'd like to keep my damn flyers the way they are, thank you very much.

30 minutes ago

Caitie has spoken.

/endthread
90 Pandaren Monk
If you dont like flying mounts, dont use them.
100 Human Priest
01/18/2013 08:56 AMPosted by Devilok
I personally enjoyed the game more when there were no flying mounts, I would actually like it if they took flying mounts out of the game altogether (I know this isn't going to happen just an opinion)

The question here is "why?". Why did you enjoy the game more? There are two answers possible:

1. Me flying related...world felt bigger, and enhanced my experience, because it took forever to get anywhere and I got to see more graphics up close, and it made the experience more real or better for me - solution, don't mount a flying mount...no code change necessary.

2. Other people flying related...people who I wanted to force into pvp couldn't escape my ganking and camping - solution, bgs. You want to pvp and are allowed to do that. They do not want to pvp. Why should you get something you enjoy but disallow them the same courtesy? This is a personal ego dysfunction/problem, not a game problem. The fix needed is in the attitude of the person, not the game.

Hopefully you fall into category 1.
Edited by Adiathna on 1/18/2013 9:05 AM PST
Ok, one more time for the people who like to make assumptions and for those with poor reading comprehension, let me clarify:

I am NOT against flying in any way shape or form! I love flying just the way it is (with one small exception, I still think mages should get a flight spell!) I don't want to force anyone into pvp by grounding them, I don't give a flying f*** about archaeology, and I don't suffer from camping/ganking issues.

I am merely suggesting a COMPROMISE for the people complaining about flying being in the game, so that I don't have to come to the forums and see a new "flying should be removed" complaint every other day (I'm exaggerating here but you get the point)

And YES, I realize the irony in that last statement.

I asked for feedback on my suggestion, that's it...please restrict your answers to the idea in question and not your assumptions of my "agenda" (or lack thereof, in this case). Is that really so hard to understand?
100 Undead Rogue
Flying isn't going anywhere, there's too many content designs around it's requirement. As for "modifying" it, as the OP suggests, no... leave well enough alone.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]