"Remove flying mounts"middle ground solution?

90 Human Priest
Blizzard designs the game expecting people to spend a certain amount of time and effort to do things.
Blizzard gives us these amazing flying mounts that make everything so much quicker and easier.
Blizzard redesigns the game to keep the time and effort required to do things consistent by turning up the tedium.

In the first half or so of the thread (all I read, because seriously), nobody seems to realize that Blizzard has to design the game to meet a certain balance of tedium and time investment regardless of whether we have flying mounts or not, and more importantly, that their tedium dials turn both ways.

Would limiting flying mounts be more palatable if doing so meant the average daily could be cut from, say, "kill 10 mobs" to "kill 5 mobs," or if it meant that spawn rates on mining/herbing nodes could be doubled or tripled?

(My opinion, putting a cooldown on flying mounts sounds really elegant to me as a way to discourage the objective-hopping that's the problem. Also, yeah, PvP... not touching that with a ten foot pole.)
Edited by Fathimir on 1/19/2013 12:28 AM PST
90 Orc Warrior
I love how people think that the current state of flight is as good as it can possibly be. Coincidentally, this is also how I feel about people who think the same about the current state of PvP.
90 Tauren Death Knight
Get rid of Flying Mounts . . . Lets Ponder on that a minute . . I won some, earned some, AND

bought some, its part of the Game I enjoy. I have spent hundreds of dollars on (my hobby),

this game, SOOooooo IF you get rid of Flyers, I will expect a FULL REFUND of everything I

have bought, Save for the GAME itself, and I know that Blizz would GLADLY PAY ALL OF thier

Subs for all the the things they bought (i.e. cinder kitty ). though not a mount a good

example of the MILLIONS of Dollars spent on Mounts . Subs Pay EVERY MONTH as well as

contribute to Great Causes . . . and now u think taking away from our game experience

is good HOW? EXACTLY HOW?

Great Causes
90 Pandaren Hunter
Blizzard would have to make an entirely new game to remove flying mounts. They have been around far too long and well established as rewards to remove them.
90 Troll Hunter
01/18/2013 08:56 AMPosted by Devilok
I personally enjoyed the game more when there were no flying mounts, I would actually like it if they took flying mounts out of the game altogether (I know this isn't going to happen just an opinion)
Or you could, you know, NOT FLY! You are not required to fly It absolutely astounds me that the whiners cannot grasp this very simple concept.
90 Troll Hunter
01/19/2013 12:30 AMPosted by Tempcharac
If you don't like flying mounts, don't use flying mounts?

Thanks for repeating this line that has already been said for the umpteenth time. You have made a great contribution to the thread and aren't just wasting space and pushing the thread ever close to it's page limit.
Thank you for your insightful post. You have made a great contribution to the thread and aren't just wasting space and pushing the thread ever cose to it's page limit.

In other words, pot meet kettle.
80 Gnome Death Knight
im not b0thered, who can afford fly mounts these days
OH NO BLIZZARD! I'd be very careful about changing the flying or any other mount situation. I tried the game Aion and loved it except the mount situation. It was exactly that, the lack of mounts that finally drove me back to WoW. Also from lvl 1 - 19 I now find that I hate that period with a great passion because there are no mounts at that level. You will be entering dangerous grounds at this point to make such a change. Is it not enough that MoP seems to have scattered your subscribers far and wide. This would add insult to injury to change the current flying situation. I started in BC and after reaching lvl 70 and could fly I found it very unpleasant to return to the zones that did not have flying. When flying was allowed in Vanilla WoW zones it was a dream come true for me.

So that you know Blizz (this is for Blizz and not other players eyes/ears) I am skating on extremely thin ice with WoW as it is. Decreasing any flying at this point could cause "global warming in Azeroth and the sheet of ice melts you could loose even more subscribers especially me. I once logged on to WoW the minute my eyes flew open and or I returned home. Now I find that I must drag myself to the computer to log in and even then more often than not spend the time trolling Youtube and not logging in.
90 Worgen Warrior
01/18/2013 11:31 PMPosted by Zhenogre
NO.

To expand on this further;
NO.
34 Troll Druid
I don't understand why people want things removed from the game that THEY CAN JUST CHOOSE NOT TO DO. Why ruin it for everyone else? You don't want to use flying mounts, don't use them. But don't try to force your choice on everyone.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I expect the 30k+ I've spent on flying to be returned to my mailbox.
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Who ever said I don't like flying? I LOVE flying, if they removed it from the game I would gouge my eyes out with a spoon and then gamequit...my suggestion for a solution is basically an attempt to placate the "remove flying" people while still giving the people who love flight "nearly" unrestricted access to it (with the exception of a nominal cooldown timer).

Who needs to "placate" anyone in the first place? Flying's here to stay, the complainers are stuck in the past with rose-colored glasses syndrome or have a so-called "World PVP" agenda, and the whole discussion is a solution in search of a problem.

Well put sir.
90 Gnome Mage
My suggestion is not to get rid of flying mounts, rather make flying a bit more dangerous.

A few flying elite/boss mobs (think flying Fel Reaver or that shark in Cataclysm) wandering the skies at random, looking out for unwary fliers.

Add an item you can get to mount one of them (aka the Shado Pan quests) and kill em for loot and bingo - suddenly flying is more interesting, a touch more dangerous AND you haven't taken anything away.
90 Worgen Hunter
Start a guild that pvps and does not fly. Go around the world ganking lowbies that cant fly. When lvl 90s fly in to defend them , kill them too.

It would be like a personal guild challenge mode!

You could call it, Hoofing it!

or Power Joggers R Us!

Or whatever you wanted!

And the rule of the guild would be toe NEVER ever buy flying training. Everyone that joins must not fly, ever.

Then you could ahve your cake and eat it too.

Who needs to "placate" anyone in the first place? Flying's here to stay, the complainers are stuck in the past with rose-colored glasses syndrome or have a so-called "World PVP" agenda, and the whole discussion is a solution in search of a problem.

Well put sir.
Edited by Mortuse on 1/19/2013 4:29 AM PST
90 Draenei Paladin
there's like a dozen ppl who dont want flying out of the millions of subs, there's no reason to placate them.

everytime blizz buckcles to the vocal minority we get bad things like pve nerfs due to pvp or cataclysm

its just bad for everyone, including blizz's bottom line (lost subs)

/this
90 Orc Death Knight
QFT

01/18/2013 08:31 AMPosted by Perigort
90 Blood Elf Warlock
01/18/2013 06:13 PMPosted by Bashiok
Not this again.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]