"Remove flying mounts"middle ground solution?

100 Worgen Druid
While this 'idea' has popped into your head, it was NOT well thought out. First, the vast majority of players wanted the flying and it was put into the game. Second, in many areas that are places where questing exists and cannot be gotten to without flying. Terrokar Forest, Shadowmoon Valley, Mount Hyjal, Deepholm and more, so exactly how do you expect people to get to these areas to do the quests? Do you even realize or remotely understand the hours of time, and lines of program code that would have to be rewritten just to change all of that?

Just like the Real World, Azeroth and Outland is a 3 dimensional world, even if it is only virtual. THAT is part of what makes the game so popular to so many people. Business is run not on the demands of the chosen few, but of the feedback of the majority. Otherwise, you do not stay in business. For a game that has been running as long as World of Warcraft has, and NOT raised their monthly fees even once, despite the roller coaster times of Real Life, is nearly unheard of in any other business.

If you do not like flying, then just don't fly. Your loss for those questing areas where it is required. But continually beating a dead horse over and over again is just ridiculous. Let it rest.
90 Orc Warlock
This can be classed under "is it good gameplay to maintain your mounts"

imo Bliz has already ruled on that by the removal of pet happiness.

maybe we'll see it in the next WoW killer.
90 Gnome Mage
01/19/2013 08:12 AMPosted by Tempcharac
Other than inflammatory posts like the one above mine by a lvl 10 troll warlock

Which was straight-up sarcasm with extra sarcasm on the side. Sorry you missed it.

Most of the pro-flying people aren't even reading the counter-arguments posted

That's because there aren't any worth reading.
90 Draenei Mage
this is stupid,no,stop that,find somthing better to !@#$% about
10 Troll Warlock
Blizzard should just lock this thread. Other than inflammatory posts like the one above mine by a lvl 10 troll warlock, nothing of value is being posted anymore.
I only point out that what I see is that people who do not like flying only feel they can enjoy this game if no one can fly. Combining it with the other frequent complaint of "Epics used to MEAN SOMETHING!" and a few really weird complaints here and there where people have complained that even ground mounts used to be unique and special. Funny thing is both of those can be tied easily into another forum theme of people consuming content too fast with the delicate bow of being a ridiculous troll. The "X is optional" and "Gold is too easy to get" themes also nicely dovetail with "X used to mean something."

I'd also like to point out that for quite some time after Blizzard posters said they they agreed that Epics Used to Mean Something people frequently posted arcane and contorted 'solutions' to the 'problem.' Similar to the whole How Can We Get Rid of Flying Mounts Without Getting Rid of Them, OK Let's Just Get Rid of Them Because X Reason that's going on now.

I can also use the same thing that's used against people who dislike CRZ- That if you are complaining on the forums about not liking a feature of the game then you are in the minority because only a minority of player post on the forums and the silent non-posting majority disagrees with you. Which I'm sure you'll agree, is a jerk thing to say.

Exploration and how you enjoy the scenery is an individual thing. Flying is something that not only attracted me to this game in the first place (I joined shortly after the BC launch) but to me provides an amazing and unique perspective on the game world that I can't have in the real world without the prospect to plummeting out of the sky to a rather unpleasant death. I understand that if your primary joy is beating up on people who are not PvP geared or a FoTM PvP class/spec that my enjoyment of flying around just to look at the land is in direct competition with your goal of sitting and standing on my corpse repeatedly.

(BTW, level 1 calling me out for posting on a level 10? :D)

01/19/2013 08:32 AMPosted by Fleafly
Other than inflammatory posts like the one above mine by a lvl 10 troll warlock

Which was straight-up sarcasm with extra sarcasm on the side. Sorry you missed it.

Sarcasm and Modest Proposals are inflammatory if you don't like what the poster is getting at. I'll CC you the memo. :D

I'm waiting for level 1 posters who complain about level 10 posters to go into more detail about how people who don't think flying mounts ruin everything are from Fox News.
Edited by Advicetroll on 1/19/2013 8:48 AM PST
90 Pandaren Rogue
yea good luck getting to a lot of places that require flying to get to it
Edited by Neostrike on 1/19/2013 9:08 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Hunter
The people that are completely in favor of banning flying are, for the most part, only those that want forced PvP. That isn't a majority. Those that want flying available everywhere at all times are mostly those that are for keeping all available options open but don't realize that this concept takes away from those that want it gone. Still not completely a majority but an opinion that still leaves not flying available. As it has been stated in countless other threads on this subject, if you don't want to fly...don't. You have that option at present. Taking away an option that other people enjoy for your own purpose is not in the best interest for everyone concerned. Rather it is limiting what others want in favor of another groups desires.

World PvP should not be totally forced. If people want to ride ground mounts between locations to make themselves open to PvP they have that option now. If they have a different agenda and want to get somewhere without being involved in someone else's idea of what they want to do they currently have that option. The choice of whether or not to be involved with PvP shouldn't be determined by someone else's idea of what is fun at that moment.

I know that this won't go over well with the so called "World PvP fans" that think they should have access to everyone who is logged on at their pleasure just because it is a PvP server. I have some characters on a PvP server because sometimes I like the atmosphere of going through the world not knowing when I might run into a member of the other side and have to engage in combat. But, since this is a game, sometimes I like to be able to go from point A to point B without having to lose the real life time I need to accomplish what I am working on in game to satisfy somebody else's enjoyment. When I want to participate in your gaming style, I'll be on the ground.

Please stop thinking that, just because the server type is PvP, you have the undeniable right to make me play the game your way for your enjoyment anytime you want. It's not your game regardless of what anybody else wants and I'm not a mob put into the game for your entertainment. It's our game to play so we can have fun too and I think Blizzard has done a pretty good job in providing options that give some flexibility to everyone so that there is something for everyone not just a select group.

Leave this topic to die an honorable death and accept that Blizzard has accommodated both sides by giving us flying abilities but restricting them to allow for the people that don't want others to use the ability. The middle ground has already been reach as much as it probably ever will be.
Its funny, I think much of the community is just now... starting to realize the negative impact flying mounts had on the game. Blizzard was aware of it, IE the changes they made to limit it with out flat out removing it.

01/18/2013 08:31 AMPosted by Senpai
I think that people who don't want to use flying mounts, aka me, should get off them and ride a land mount, which is what I do. So why do we need a middle ground? Its a senseless complaint...use a land mount, end of story.

Its not just yourself, its the world as a whole that changes. People aren't in a uproar because they can fly, they are unhappy with the World because flying is permitted.

I was on the fence with this discussion before MoP. After leveling through Mist, on a ground mount, I realized how much the "convenience" of flying stole from the game. This "convenience" had negative effect on my gaming experience, the world just isn't as enjoyable as it could have been. I am grateful, I was able to enjoy leveling in a world where no one could fly. It was one the most amazing journeys I have had in this game which have been few and far between over the last few years.
100 Worgen Warrior
Its funny, I think much of the community is just now... starting to realize the negative impact flying mounts had on the game. Blizzard was aware of it, IE the changes they made to limit it with out flat out removing it.

No, GC made a comment and a select few decided to run with it. Before GC made the comment, those same select people we calling for the removal of flying mounts and it ruined world PvP was the basis of their argument. Completely ignoring PvE servers in the process.

Anti-flyers have always had the options of walking. But that's never good enough, Every must ENJOY what they enjoy. On MMO champ every anti fly poll put up is shot down by at least 70% of the voters. I don't see the community changing it's mind at all.

I hated being stuck on the ground for leveling in MOP. Can't tell you a single wonderful thing I saw or experienced while stuck on the ground. Mainly because there isn't anything in my view. You like the ground, you've always had the option to stay on the ground, but you needed to be forced onto the ground due to your own lack of willpower to see. I like flying and getting quest over with, so I'll fly! But I won't ask Blizzard to make all quest require flying. So everyone wins!
Edited by Daleus on 1/19/2013 10:12 AM PST
90 Goblin Rogue
Leveling in vanilla, I would have given a kidney to be able to jump off the public windrider when I flew over my destination by several miles. Blizzard answered that with flying in BC. Get to 70 and fly!

I'm 50/50 about not being able to fly while leveling in a new xpac. It's seeing the new artwork/content vs. wanting to get things done quicker and being limited by ground mount speed, and terrain obstacles in general.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I went through crazy questlines for a mount at 60.

I loved those questlines. There was a time when mounting up on a dreadsteed was truly something special and noteworthy.

I kind of wonder if moving from walking to riding to riding fast to flying was as monumental a task as it used to be if so many people would be so eager to see the process undone.

A thousand times ^this.

I worked my !@# off for my dreadsteed, charger, netherwing drakes, cenarion hippogryph, nether rays, I paid 5000g when 5000g was a TON OF MONEY. I practically bled for my flying mounts. If blizzard were to remove them because bad kids want their world pvp back because they're not good enough for arena or rbg, then I'm un-subbing, again, like I did in Cataclysm when the vocal minority swayed blizzard into doing terrible things to this game.

Also: Here is how you actually fix the "problem". Make the pvp combat timer longer, a lot longer. People don't need to be drinking in arenas anyway, that's not skillful, or tactical, sorry mages, I'll still destroy you.
Edited by Radish on 1/19/2013 10:21 AM PST
90 Draenei Shaman
Flying mounts are fine. The two best expansions WoW had in his history taking into account by the two most different groups (TBC for hardcore, Wrath for casuals) had unrestricted flying mounts.

If someone doesnt want to PVP, SUCK IT UP and look for someone that actually wants to fight back, instead of bashing a target dummy with 0 resilience on.

Fatigue on flying mounts would not make everyone happy, its a stupid solution to a problem that doesnt exist.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Wrath had unrestricted flying mounts.

You couldn't fly until 77 in Wrath. Until they added, FIRST, the heirloom book which you could purchase and send to alts. And, SECOND, they nerfed the required level for Cold Weather Flying. However, both of these nerfs did not happen until mid-way through the expansion. And Wrath was not "for casuals". It had some of the hardest hard mode content we've seen, or apparently you never did "Alone in the Dark". Cataclysm was for casuals, that's kinda you know, what the raid finder was invented for.
90 Draenei Shaman
01/19/2013 10:25 AMPosted by Radish

You couldn't fly until 77 in Wrath. Until they added, FIRST, the heirloom book which you could purchase and send to alts. And, SECOND, they nerfed the required level for Cold Weather Flying. However, both of these nerfs did not happen until mid-way through the expansion. And Wrath was not "for casuals". It had some of the hardest hard mode content we've seen, or apparently you never did "Alone in the Dark". Cataclysm was for casuals, that's kinda you know, what the raid finder was invented for.

The non flying while leveling part is already included in MoP. You cant fly in MoP before lvl 90, so...

Again, either TBC and Wrath are going to be voted as the best times of WoW by most of the people, both had unrestricted max level mounts, just like MoP.

Flying mounts are not a problem.

About Wrath being for casuals or not, Wrath was better suited for casuals than Cata. In Wrath, you could do normal raids easier than in Cata (T11 was harder than most Wrath normal), you also had better raid pugging, and easier heroics. A better environement, much better lore and a better design overall.

For last, LFR has nothing to do with the subject.
Edited by Saanen on 1/19/2013 10:49 AM PST
100 Worgen Warrior
01/19/2013 10:25 AMPosted by Radish

And Wrath was not "for casuals". It had some of the hardest hard mode content we've seen, or apparently you never did "Alone in the Dark". Cataclysm was for casuals, that's kinda you know, what the raid finder was invented for.

That's pretty funny. I don't think you'll find many people from from BC that would agree that Wrath was hardcore focused. In fact, Cata's opening Heroics and raids were suppose to be a "return to" a more hardcore focus. What they learned in that process was that too many of the hardcore people quit and the more casual raiders were left and thus the large sweeping nerfs started.

Having 3-4 really hard fights, doesn't make the entire Xpac hardcore. You had 10 man raids, that were easy modes of the 25 man raids and then the 10 and 25 man raids got their own "heroic" versions. TBC didn't have 10 man version of Black temple and there wasn't an easy and hard version of Black Temple (until the nerfs) Wrath had easier versions and they started the 5-10-15% nerfs on top of that, Wrath was super casual friendly in my book.

And as someone else noted, Wrath didn't start out with full flying. Neither did TBC.
Edited by Daleus on 1/19/2013 11:01 AM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
01/18/2013 06:13 PMPosted by Bashiok
Not this again.

Completely inappropriate response by a blue imo. Let the other elitists belittle the OP because they think the post is "not well thought out," but blues should play no part in suggesting whether or not a post is good enough to have been written (unless there is a breach of the ToS, of course).
100 Human Warrior
If flying goes so does a good portion of Blizzards Subs you can take that to the bank!

... I don't think you understand that people don't play for a flight simulator.

They play for WoW

If they ever ACTUALLY listened to the minority they wants flight removed, guess who's staying subscribed.

Your dumb !@#.
100 Blood Elf Paladin

Completely inappropriate response by a blue imo. Let the other elitists belittle the OP because they think the post is "not well thought out," but blues should play no part in suggesting whether or not a post is good enough to have been written (unless there is a breach of the ToS, of course).

Except it's not elitism. The OP specified it was just a thought that popped into his/her head. It wasn't a well thought out solution, just something s/he came up with on the spot and asked for feedback. And some of the feedback is "think it out".
Edited by Fabulo on 1/19/2013 11:19 AM PST
90 Tauren Paladin
"Solution" implies that there's a problem.

"I don't want to ride flying mounts" is not a problem.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]