[Holy] - 5.2 Healing Guide

86 Blood Elf Paladin
This thread is great!

I haven't played in almost 3 years (my main on my old account being a holy pally), and SO much has changed! Before I stopped playing we had, what... 3 heals?? Not only have our spells changed, and many more have been added, but stats and stat priorities have changed so much as well.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify everything, and to assist those of us who are "new" to holy pallies!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
01/10/2013 11:08 PMPosted by Cadenbrie
My paladin is only Lev 46 but it appears he can only store 3 holy power charges instead of five. What am I missing?

You're missing the passive ability Boundless Conviction which I don't believe you get until 85.

thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Which 4 pieces of T14 are you guys going to use. From a quick comparison i decided to not use the tier gloves as the 496 gloves from HoF would net me 95spirit, 463crit and a blue socket, while losing 80int and 650 haste. Any inputs on this?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
01/16/2013 02:09 AMPosted by Tyreline
Which 4 pieces of T14 are you guys going to use. From a quick comparison i decided to not use the tier gloves as the 496 gloves from HoF would net me 95spirit, 463crit and a blue socket, while losing 80int and 650 haste. Any inputs on this?

Either the legs or hands will give you an extra socket. The ideal choice depends on your current progression - for example, I'm at a point where heroic Feng's legs just fell in my lap, so I'm using four normal pieces and the heroic Feng legs (which have Spirit while their 496 tier leg counterparts are Crit/Mastery).

Using the gloves is okay too, Crit and Haste are pretty interchangable in many cases but the extra socket is quite nice.

I think if I had all the gear in the game available to me, I'd be using heroic tier shoulders/chest/hands/legs and the helm from elite heroic Protectors that's like 516 before upgrades. Why? Because I can. I would then upgrade everything and just laugh at how high my numbers are.

Okay, back to reality, I wouldn't worry *too* much about it as long as you're using the 4-piece. I'd try to make room for the helm if possible because it's perfectly itemized, Spirit/Mastery is noice.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Excellent guide, fairly easy to read. Mastery is my personal favorite stat, I dont find haste or crit to be as useful. But, while I agree that eternal flame can be useful for aoe healing, I have yet to use it at all since the 5.0 talents came out. I just really dont like the spell. Unless its Tsulong, that is the only fight that I believe it is mandatory to use. You can get one EF off, and have 100k ticks roll for 30 seconds over and over on the boss.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Edited the level 75 talents to make more sense. H Lei Shi is making me eat my words about Sanctified Wrath, and after playing around with it in other situations, it's not SO bad even if it's not stellar outside of the "oddball" kind of fight where it's great.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you for taking the time to put together this guide; it's great enough that I can just point some people in its direction, and most of the time they can comprehend the information.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Good info, thanks for putting it together, just started playing my paladin a couple of weeks ago raidwise, and still feeling I was slaking in some cases.

For sure will point out over here a couple of friends.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
i liked your post and think its a great read for new paladins. as far as the stat priority goes there are 3 that are tested and proven for pve int/spr>mastery>haste/crit is a good leveling build and works through out dungeons and raids and is very strong on single target healing int/spr>haste>mastery>crit is a great raid healing and high burst healing build (need to be good at managing mana) and is what i use and lastly int/spr>crit>= mastery>haste very high output increase HpM and dispite what many say crit is a proven stat for pally s and works very well with our mastery. if there is a choice between stats and mastery go mastery for dungeons and raids it will help tanks mitigate more damage and bosst your shields for mana conservation though it is a dps loss for some classes your mana and the tanks health are by far more important and the dps loss is minimal kings beats out might for some tanks on fights with very high magic damage but for mana on those fights might still wins for its absorb effect and tank damage reduction
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
thanks for the nice write up!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It is going to be fun playing with Eternal Flame in a more AoE setting like the Garalon fight. I enjoyed this guide, and passed it a like. Gratz on a well deserved sticky.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
D'aww, thanks for the positive reviews guys.
Reply Quote
I played Holy in Cataclysm but had more or less benched this character and was going to heal on a Mistweaver until I read this guide. Now I'm all too ready to start leveling the old man here again and get back to healing.

Thanks, wonderful guide.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Hey, to plug another thread I made (this one asking for some advice/guidance): I'm almost entirely a 25m healer, so I need to get some 10m HPal perspective to help keep this relevant for the majority of the raiding population.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7753485400 is a thread I made in the Healing forums with some questions for 10m Hpals, I'd appreciate if some of you guys took a look and answered a bit. There's even an amusing screenshot of me trolling a Disc Priest at the end of the OP!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
hi guys, i am a little confused about what eternal flame blanketing is. I was using holy radiance but a lot of posters on the healing forums say its not good at all. What is eternal flame blanketing?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Eternal Flame blanketing is a term used to refer to putting lots of Eternal Flames (often with 1 or 2 Holy Power) on as many people as possible, to in effect "blanket" the raid with the periodic healing and subsequent absorbs.

It's a quite effective playstyle for many types of raid damage, but too many Paladins just treat it as a one-size-fits-all and use it even in situations where other spells would be more useful.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Eternal Flame blanketing is a term used to refer to putting lots of Eternal Flames (often with 1 or 2 Holy Power) on as many people as possible, to in effect "blanket" the raid with the periodic healing and subsequent absorbs.

It's a quite effective playstyle for many types of raid damage, but too many Paladins just treat it as a one-size-fits-all and use it even in situations where other spells would be more useful.

Oh okay, thank you! and thank you for the guide it was very helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Is there any math or anything that proves how good DP is? I just ran an LFR with it to try it out and it was less than 10 procs on each boss (most of them wasted/overhealed). And yes, I was using 2 HoPo EF.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
About the off pieces; depends if you want throughput or regen. If you want regen your off-piece should be pants, if you want throughput your offpiece should be chest.

Offpiece Intel Spirit Haste Mastery Crit
Helmet 6700 5231 1753 2438 1017
Pants 6500 6217 1616 2130 480
Chest 6806 5147 733 3147 1017
Gloves 6526 5853 464 2918 1394
Shoulders 6621 5256 1529 2676 637

Those numbers are all heroic (elite) versions, everything reforged as spirit>mastery>rest, gems used are int/spirit, spirit/mastery and spirit, with all socket bonuses met.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
That's interesting, Miska. I think that it's pretty reasonable though for the majority of Holy Paladins to just make the Feng legs their offpiece, especially because it's the second heroic on the table and is on par with or easier than some of the normal mode encounters in the other instances.

01/31/2013 10:27 PMPosted by Oblivion
Is there any math or anything that proves how good DP is? I just ran an LFR with it to try it out and it was less than 10 procs on each boss (most of them wasted/overhealed). And yes, I was using 2 HoPo EF.

Remember that it has a lower chance to proc off of 1 and 2 HP abilities, 8 and 16% respectively.

I'm just going to flat-out quote Miskatonic from another thread because I'm basically going to be saying the same thing anyways:

02/01/2013 11:22 PMPosted by Miskatonic
Holy Avenger will provide you more throughput IF there is enough bursty damage but it takes hella regen to maintain, Divine Purpose is the more mana friendly alternative since it's essentially free HP, whereas you have to work pretty hard for the HP with HA, specially if you don't have PvE 4P because then you are left with ToR/HR as HP generating spells those 6 seconds that HS is on CD. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing talent, but you need mana and you need to be very very good with your spell usage, a holy light or a DL/FoL on anyone but your beacon target is a HUGE hps loss. It's not black and white, on some encounters one talent is better than the other and the other way around.

I should probably sit down and do the nitty-gritty math to objectively prove that Divine Purpose is mana efficient and averages out to similar if not higher HPS. However, it's pretty much accepted fact by all Holy Paladins so I haven't really bothered (I put much less faith in math than most raiders, because healing is so subjective and largely based on intuition).

I have a hunch that in future tiers when our regen is stronger, Holy Avenger will be even more attractive, to the point where we may spec it for most fights and just use DP if HA is useless for a particular fight. But this is conjecture.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]