[Holy] - 5.2 Healing Guide

48 Human Paladin
I suspect a good amount of this applies to me at my current level (47), and the info will be ever more applicable at higher levels. My early experiences trying to heal dungeon groups with my discipline priest were discouraging, so I hope I can get this character to be a competent healer. I''ll be studying this guide often. Thanks for writing it.
Reply Quote
62 Tauren Paladin
you snapped on this.. good job.. so helpful! :)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Thanks!

I just want to toss out that I picked a pretty poor time to put up a healing guide. I'm going to be main tanking for my guild with this upcoming patch, it's official :-O and while I'm excited, it's going to make keeping this up-to-date a little more difficult. I still plan on doing so, but it's going to require a lot more research since I won't have the hands-on experience.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
There's never a bad time to share potentially useful information. Unless it's in spreadsheet form.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
So here's my question...first off I'm not viewing this as a "race" but I recently joined what I would personally claim to be a "hardcore" guild that has quite a few of the bosses on heroic farm, with my hpally main. Joining this guild was a big step up for me and i've been going over forums because I just want to feel like I am pulling my weight. Now I know the people I am healing with outgear me and that makes a difference but I want to make sure I am doing the best that I can through stats and gemming/reforging etc. I generally tend towards haste >mastery > crit as far as those stats go but I've been looking at some of the hpallies in the "high end guilds" who go mostly with straight mastery. I was Going to switch what I have to mastery until I talked to a friend who pointed out that I am running with two very powerful disc priests and there's no way Id be able to beat their bubbles, so I should stick with the haste build......
All of that rambling and here's my question...
How is it running a crit/haste build? And even if I try that out to try to boost my overall output and HPS...where do you draw the line? Reforge what into what...reforge mastery into haste and then just gem/chant crit or vice versa...
Idk if this made sense lol...im Definitely not a number cruncher so any tips and or thoughts would help!! <3
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Haste and Crit are undeniably behind Mastery on... pretty much every fight this tier. In fact, running with multiple Disc Priests would only push Mastery ahead because it would increase your only hope of sniping absorbs on low damage phases or farm fights where they can completely stifle healing.

Our Mastery is just an incredibly powerful stat this tier. I'm having a hard time imagining it will lose favor in T15, but it's possible. I haven't been crunching numbers because, let's face it, I'm going Prot and have been primarily focused on that. (Sorry.)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
So I just wanted to see people's opinions about dropping the PvE 4 set.

Since 5.2 is right around the corner this will be something people will need to consider. I just got heroic hands from Garalon and I've had the legs from Feng. Those 2 items bumped me up over 1k spirit, without dropping too much of my mastery.

Since the 4 Set allows for more HS, and consequently cheaper HP and more Daybreaks, I understand this could be a bit of a loss. But it would be good to know when it woul be safe to replace out set.

I plan on running a bit tonight between the 2 sets and see how much my healing is affected.
Reply Quote
45 Draenei Warrior
Is there a thread or anything of the sort around that gives basic recommendations on how to heal as a pally on certain encounters? My question is primarily on Tsulong. Our pally healer struggled through the fight and we ultimately had to call it. I feel pallys should be exceptionally strong on the fight during day phase, however, no matter the attempt, she was well behind our other two healers in healing done. This was in a 10man btw.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
For Tsulong, Holy Paladins want to make sure to beacon Tsulong. EF can be used to keep a stream of heals on the boss, and make sure to toss a 3HP-EF on Tsulong. Be sure to have cd's saved up for breaths. I pop Guardian, Avenging Wrath, Divine Favor, and Holy Avenger right as the first is being cast. Then I follow with a FoL > EF on Tsulong.

This normally works out nicely. Although there might be more efficient ways to use my cd's.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
03/04/2013 01:24 AMPosted by Ðragonslayer
Quick clarification. Mastery was garbage through out most of cataclysm and haste was king. As far as I'm aware mastery still doesn't work on beacon of light. What happened to make mastery that good?

Mastery wasn't terrible at the end of Cata, it just wasn't necessary because the big "plus" of mastery is it's mana efficiency - which at the end of an expansion isn't nearly as important as just focusing on throughput. So basically by the time mastery was "fixed" in Cata it wasn't all that desired based on where we were in the cycle of content. (ie. the end)

With MoP that all changes. Fixed mana pools put an emphasis on both spirit and efficiency. Mastery is hands down the winner of HPM (healing per mana), so in a world of limited mana/resources it makes sense to buff that stat. It doesn't hurt that the result is larger SHIELDS which are extremely powerful and generally considered better than normal healing.
Reply Quote
88 Human Paladin
Great guide, i used to heal during cata and i just returned to the game ; found this really helpful
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Dear Mom and Dad,
I know you've spent a lot of money sending me to paladin school, not just because you wanted me to go, but also because I wanted to. I'm trying very hard, but I want to apologize to you in advance for some of my shortcomings. I'm really busting my chops working on this holy stuff, and I've got it down really good, using tons of mana for all sorts of things. I can direct my knowledge of the light into keeping people alive in the most deadly situations, even raising the fallen back to life. But, try as I may, I just can't seem to consecrate the very ground upon which I stand-a seemingly easy task for one so full of mastery of the blessed way. I've talked with some of my fellow students, those that dabble in the more mundane art of weapon and shield defence, how trite, and some of them have really tried to help me, offering me advice on how to direct my casting, but I just can't seem to catch on. I'll keep working at it; I know it's just a matter of time. It's really a simple thing-not like it kills a lot of things-or anything at all; it just gives you the power to walk and chew gum at the same time-sorry do more then one thing at a time, like dealing with those 10 little spirit thingees that attack you all at once. Anyway, when you see an F on my report card, you'll know why. BTW please send more money.
Your earnest son,
Lumix
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Nice guide, it is very helpful getting my pally up to speed.

I will ignore the rogue comments....for now....:P
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I'm going to nip this in the bud and request the thread be unstickied. Frankly, I cannot see myself putting in the work required to keep this remotely up-to-date for the rest of the tier/expansion now that I am not raiding as a Holy Paladin.

Better to remove it and leave the spot open for somebody who WILL put in the work!

<3's

- Tail
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I'm going to nip this in the bud and request the thread be unstickied. Frankly, I cannot see myself putting in the work required to keep this remotely up-to-date for the rest of the tier/expansion now that I am not raiding as a Holy Paladin.

Better to remove it and leave the spot open for somebody who WILL put in the work!

<3's

- Tail

... April Fool's? (Not really, but I did happen to post that on April 1)

I actually did go back and update this tonight. I'm still not raiding as Holy, but I've been doing research and picking the brains of some successful Holy Paladins as well.

Most of the changes:

- Came down more decisively in the talent section. Eternal Flame good, Execution Sentence terribad, Sanctified Wrath really weird, etc.

- Added a little blurb about swapping from Spirit to Mastery gems. I didn't actually tell people when to do it - presumably if you're in good enough gear and have *so much* Spirit that you can do so, you really don't need my advice. Oh, and there's also the whole subjectivity factor where your Spirit needs depend on a whole truckload of variables.

- Added Hand of Protection under "cooldowns" because you really, really need to be familiar with the spell in Throne of Thunder as a Paladin of any spec.

Otherwise, I went through and just cleaned up some other stuff, added a little bit of info about stuff that changed in 5.2 (snare on Light's Hammer, etc.).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I've found Execution Sentence to be useful in exactly one fight, and that's Durumu because our tanks tend to get trucked and I know they will actually get the full benefit of the spell. Other than that, I always use Light's Hammer.

Oh, something I noticed in your guide that you didn't mention--It's incredibly important and vital as a holy paladin to use Avenging Wrath and Divine Favor (either together or rotated, depending on the situation)!

I can't believe how many in-game paladins I've talked to who are like "eh, I forget to use those."

Don't! Those are amazing tools.

Also, T14 vs T15. The stats in T15 are much better than T14, even the upgraded heroic ones. And if you're an EF user, the T15 4set is amazing. EF goes from 50% to 70% xferred. Who wouldn't want that?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have a question. It may seem odd in a way, but I don't ever really see this being discussed among healers...maybe I'm not digging enough. My question is this - Is there a good reason to have Spirit rating higher than your Combat Regen (on the character screen, under Spell)?

I mean, it does seem a waste to go past that Combat Regen point. I've seen many a Holy Pally just go balls out on Spirit gems and have like 15k Spirit, but only end up with 13.9k Combat Regen...just an example. It just seems pointless to me...am I the only one who thinks this?

To clarify, I'm basing this question off of the assumption that the Paladin is in a raid, WITH a Spirit flask buff.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I have a question. It may seem odd in a way, but I don't ever really see this being discussed among healers...maybe I'm not digging enough. My question is this - Is there a good reason to have Spirit rating higher than your Combat Regen (on the character screen, under Spell)?

I mean, it does seem a waste to go past that Combat Regen point. I've seen many a Holy Pally just go balls out on Spirit gems and have like 15k Spirit, but only end up with 13.9k Combat Regen...just an example. It just seems pointless to me...am I the only one who thinks this?

To clarify, I'm basing this question off of the assumption that the Paladin is in a raid, WITH a Spirit flask buff.

Thoughts?

I don't really understand. Spirit increases your combat regen, and the relation between your Spirit value and your in-combat regen values aren't going to dictate when you should stop with Spirit stacking since you start out with some innate regen that isn't tied to Spirit anyways. (In my Prot gear/spec with only the base 125 Spirit, I have 1200 base in-combat regen. In my Holy spec but with Prot gear and still the base 125 Spirit, I have 6070 MP5. It's not all tied to the Spirit on your gear.)

Also keep in mind that Spirit or mana procs (typically from trinkets) should be factored into your total mana regen.

It's interesting to note that Holy Paladins absolutely do have a use for 15k+ Spirit, since we can still turn that extra mana into more healing via lots of expensive spells, typically Holy Radiance (I suppose that's less valuable in 10-mans) but also heavier Divine Light and Flash of Light usage. It's not the one-size-fits-all strategy, but we do not just reach a "mana cap" like some other classes do where we can just spam our buttons and still have enough mana to keep spamming them indefinitely. We can still use more regen and turn that into extra healing.

On the other hand, you should always be looking at ways to give up lower amounts of regen for larger amounts of throughput stats if that's a bigger increase to your healing. You used flasks as an example - 1000 Spirit versus 1000 Intellect is going to heavily favor the Intellect. It's not like gem budgets, where you're comparing 320 Spirit versus 160 Intellect (or 320 Spirit versus 320 Mastery, realistically).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]