ALL Patch 5.1 Pet Battle Bugs Listed

91 Orc Hunter
I'm not sure I consider NPC pet AI being poor to being a bug, or needing fixing. If the NPCs were just as good as players, and their pets cast everything optimally as a player, that may make them too difficult.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Good work on this list!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Oh oh what about the fact you can't queue for PvP pet battles in deepholm? Darkmoon faire grounds also but that might be intended.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
01/06/2013 05:39 PMPosted by Simca
Tail Sweep does not deal additional damage when going last if the opponent has a lower speed but uses a move that causes it to "always [go] first" (such as Blinkstrike, Charge, Love Potion, Quick Attack, Restoration, or Surge).

I just did a wild battle where I had the "natural" speed advantage. I did indeed get 2 tail sweeps on my dark whelping when the enemy pet used surge. Make sure its not a "miss" that isn't visually displaying (but will show up in the pet log).
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Animation Bugs:

Swarm, Flock, Stampede, Murder: The third wave of pets is missing. Third hit comes from nowhere (this bug started in 5.2 and seemingly whatever they did was done to fix the bug where the extra pets would stick around 'til the pet battle was over).

Prowl: Your Cat will remain transparent for the rest of the battle if it uses Prowl even once.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Reflection kills on undead doesn't proc their come back to life for one round thing.

Mechanical pets won't come back to life after being killed if they are hit to hard.

Call Darkness isn't reducing the healing on (specifically) Soothing Mist heals.

Shock and Awe does not have a 25% chance to stun like the tooltip says.

1. Already listed.
2. I think the bug is with a specific set of abilities, not being hit too hard in general. Several of them are listed already, while the others are in the "Could not/have not replicated" section awaiting confirmation.
3. I'll add this to the "Could not/have not replicated" section.
4. Already listed - this is "Accuracy Issue #2" under General System-wide Bugs.

01/06/2013 07:17 PMPosted by Surrender
Accuracy Issue #4: All (or almost all?) abilities that rely on Weather effects to "always hit" are still subjected to the penalty from those Weather effects. For example, if you use Nocturnal Strike with Darkness as the active Weather, it will only have an 85% chance to land (10% miss from Darkness and 5% base dodge). If the ability was working correctly, it would never "miss" under any circumstances (even if you had a –accuracy debuff) as long as the weather was Darkness (but it could still be dodged by the 5% base dodge or by abilities that cause a dodge, of course).

1. I have personally seen Nocturnal Strike "Miss" while under darkness. I think you forgot to factor in the base miss chance that affects all skills, even ones that cannot "miss".

Also, here are some more reflection inconsistencies and bugs.

2. Any debuff (self or enemy) caused by reflection lasts 1 round longer than it should.

3. Reflection is inconsistent with dive/burrow/liftoff/sons of the root/flame. If you reflect on the turn lift off/dive/burrow is cast, you do nothing. If you reflect on the turn sons of the root/flame is cast, you cast it back. If you reflect on the turn ice tomb is cast, you cast ice tomb back. If you reflect when it lands, you deal the damage and stun.

4. Reflection reflects ALL end of turn effects, while skipping others. So if a whirlpool and a gyser would trigger that turn, you would block the pets attack, block whirlpool, block gyser, then cast the damaging part of whirlpool and gyser.

5. Inconsistencies with block and evasion regarding debuffs and field debuffs. DoT's without upfront damage go through block (but not evasion). Field debuffs without upfront damage go through block AND evasion. If they have an upfront damage portion, Block and evasion will both prevent them (and in the case of field debuffs, that portion doesn't get applied to the field). I don't know how its intended, but I don't see why the field debuff portion is blocked by these mechanics (if i'm bathing the entire area in a fire, how are you stopping me from setting the ground on fire by dodging it). Also, it seems like block should prevent DoT's that don't have an upfront damage component.

6. Many display bugs associate with several skills. Arcane explosion and frog kiss are noterious for not displaying miss, but displays it in the pet combat log.

7. Reflections animation has been MIA since 5.1. Should be restored.

8. Pet battle found sound has been MIA since 5.1. Should be restored.

If I can think of more I"ll post again Simca.

1. I'm confused by this statement. I think you misread the section you quoted (or I misspoke), but when you say "I have personally seen Nocturnal Strike "Miss" while under darkness.", we are not disagreeing. We are disagreeing about your second sentence though, and if that is true (that Nocturnal Strike and its like that rely on status effects to "always hit" are subjected to base miss) then that is a bug. I split Accuracy Issue #4 into #4 and #5 because I imagine you are right, but it would be great if you could clarify.

2. Added.

3a. Added Sons of the Flame/Root bug.
3b. In the case of Ice Tomb, I actually think reflecting the debuff is the way it should work (according to the tooltip) since it is reflecting the debuff of the "next ability cast". I believe the bug is the part where it can reflect the landing projectile, but that will be self-solving when they solve the "multiple reflected abilities" bug (since Reflection would have already Reflected something that turn unless the enemy was an idiot and passed his turn or self-buffed).

4. As in the case of Ice Tomb, this will be self-solving as long as Reflection starts only reflecting ONE ability (and that bug is already listed).

5. Tricky tricky. I think I'm going to add this whole blurb to the General System-wide bugs section, but I think several parts of that are not buggy so it'll be listed lower on in that section (since it is one of the sections ordered by importance).

6-8. Added.

Thanks always Surrender.

(Hit character limit, will respond to more next post.)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Another bug involving reflection, which I skimmed through to make sure it wasn't here, is that some abilities that get reflected, on the turn that they're cast (Cyclone off the top of my head) it'll trigger your character to go through the "I just lost a pet" mourning animation, this is mostly related to trainer dailies. but since I didn't see it here (just skimmed mind you)

so it goes >Just reflect to cast, Enemy casts cyclone (which misses), your character mourns like a pet died, then your pet which used reflect re-casts cyclone.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
01/07/2013 02:14 AMPosted by Simca
2. I think the bug is with a specific set of abilities, not being hit too hard in general. Several of them are listed already, while the others are in the "Could not/have not replicated" section awaiting confirmation.

The only such abilities I've confirmed are the 2 turn moves that give a passive 10% buff (Wind Up and Pump). I can't say I've ran into any issues with other moves that lack this buff, but I'll log on and confirm.

Don't bother. Soothing Mists is solely used by Elementals and as such, isn't affected by Call Darkness.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
1. I'm confused by this statement. I think you misread the section you quoted (or I misspoke), but when you say "I have personally seen Nocturnal Strike "Miss" while under darkness.", we are not disagreeing. We are disagreeing about your second sentence though, and if that is true (that Nocturnal Strike and its like that rely on status effects to "always hit" are subjected to base miss) then that is a bug. I split Accuracy Issue #4 into #4 and #5 because I imagine you are right, but it would be great if you could clarify.

Yeah, I was wrong. Like reflect, it seems that moves that can't miss are immune to the fixed miss rate that penalizes all other moves. I took Legs and tried to miss with his laser against level 1s and 24s and was unable (he's level 1 (2 by accident)).

01/06/2013 11:19 PMPosted by Surrender
Tail Sweep does not deal additional damage when going last if the opponent has a lower speed but uses a move that causes it to "always [go] first" (such as Blinkstrike, Charge, Love Potion, Quick Attack, Restoration, or Surge).

I went to make sure it wasn't a fluke in the Veil of Eternal Blossoms, and my Dark Whelping (who was naturally faster than the poor quality Golden Civet) would strike twice each time he used Surge. I believe it was just a display error, similar to how frog kiss and a few other abilities don't show a "miss" when they, well, miss. If you check the pet combat log (or try it out now) you'll see what I'm talking about (frog kiss "misses" do show up in the pet combat log, and an interesting side note, the polymorph can "hit" when the damage portion "misses).
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight

To go more into detail on this one, it stops the enemy from even gaining the "sons" to attack back as well, while submerging the flayer (the turnip is submerged, but hes pretty much helpless). I've only tested this against nishi and not a player, so i'm not sure if players are locked into it or not.

Either way, the "fix" they did in 5.1 to prevent flayers from flying forever makes it inconsistent with how it interacts. Reflecting on the turn liftoff/burrow/dive is cast simply makes you waste reflect, and you have to cast it now when the damage would be delivered. Seems like it should also interact with liftoff similar to how it does with other abilities like Ice Tomb. Probably a quick fix that wasn't thought out very far.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Added and updated a lot of bugs to new wording and moved several bugs around to better sections. Also changed several section titles and added two (in the last post).

Death gripping a pet in lift off/dive/burrow will backrow it, deal no damage, and cause the pet to be permanently stuck with the buff (unless they choose to do the skill again).

Lift off / burrow / dive / sons of the root/flame tooltip could be made a little more clear on the tooltip. Lift off can be hit by other pets in Lift off, burrowing/diving/submerged pets can be hit by other pets who are burrowed, diving, or submerged.

Pretty sure most web abilities lack the grey web part in tooltip or on the debuff. Not sure which ones do atm.

1. Death Grip and Sweep, thanks for reminding me. Added.
2. Agreed and added (though they may complain the tooltips already say too much for those abilities, so I may word the bug very diplomatically).
3. Good call, added. Brittle Webbing and Sticky Web are bugged, while Leech Life and Spiderling Swarm are fine.

Dead pets buffs continue to work till end of round. This can most easily be seen with Mr. Bigglesworth, but can also be done with Crimson Geode.

Crimson Geode casts elementium bolt, casts overload. Crimson geode dies on the round that the bolt lands, but it still recieves 100% more damage from overload (Crimson Geode of course suffers no damage because he is already dead).

This is questionable mechanics at best.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean common-sense-wise it makes sense that an ability that gained power from a pet that died remained strong.

Added to a new "Not Sure If Intended" section.

01/06/2013 07:33 PMPosted by Surrender
Also, here is an interesting one I found in Deepholme. You can "potentially" die from starting a pet battle. Fight a geode near a ledge, when the pet battle "repositions" you, you can be moved off the ledge and suffer falling damage. Doesn't pull you out of the pet battle (not sure if it would if you died from the fall, but probably).

Added to "Other Types of Bugs".

01/06/2013 07:44 PMPosted by Darigato
Found a recent one with the ability "Feign Death" using it while you have no pets left will cause your opponent to switch out pets.

Added, thank you.

01/06/2013 08:55 PMPosted by Cozzene
I'm not sure I consider NPC pet AI being poor to being a bug, or needing fixing. If the NPCs were just as good as players, and their pets cast everything optimally as a player, that may make them too difficult.

Eh, true to one of the bugs I have listed there. However, the sunflower that spams Photosynthesis for 20 turns and never uses its third ability is taking that too far. Asking them to not pass their turns when they have abilities to use is not unreasonable either.

Reordered the Pet AI and Tamer Bugs section based on "smartness" of the behavior.

01/06/2013 09:22 PMPosted by Destian
Good work on this list!

Thank you! :>
I was going to wait for even more bugs before posting, but I just hit a mental block (I meant to post this 6 days ago) and the fact that it is out there as a live thread has forced me to get my butt in gear in terms of making it 100% perfect (I'm a slight perfectionist if you can't tell).

01/06/2013 09:42 PMPosted by Jitterbug
Oh oh what about the fact you can't queue for PvP pet battles in deepholm? Darkmoon faire grounds also but that might be intended.

Added them both (Deepholm to "Other Types of Bugs" and Darkmoon Faire to "Not Sure If Intended"), thanks!

Animation Bugs:

Swarm, Flock, Stampede, Murder: The third wave of pets is missing. Third hit comes from nowhere (this bug started in 5.2 and seemingly whatever they did was done to fix the bug where the extra pets would stick around 'til the pet battle was over).

Prowl: Your Cat will remain transparent for the rest of the battle if it uses Prowl even once.

Added both, thanks!

Another bug involving reflection, which I skimmed through to make sure it wasn't here, is that some abilities that get reflected, on the turn that they're cast (Cyclone off the top of my head) it'll trigger your character to go through the "I just lost a pet" mourning animation, this is mostly related to trainer dailies. but since I didn't see it here (just skimmed mind you)

so it goes >Just reflect to cast, Enemy casts cyclone (which misses), your character mourns like a pet died, then your pet which used reflect re-casts cyclone.

Added, thanks!

Also, don't worry too much if you post a bug that is already there. When I write something, I know it for at least several weeks (if not much, much longer), so I can instantly write off bugs that are already there without glancing back.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
01/07/2013 02:39 AMPosted by Awkward
The only such abilities I've confirmed are the 2 turn moves that give a passive 10% buff (Wind Up and Pump). I can't say I've ran into any issues with other moves that lack this buff, but I'll log on and confirm.

Confirming that Lock On doesn't bug the Mechanical passive.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

Don't bother. Soothing Mists is solely used by Elementals and as such, isn't affected by Call Darkness.

Thanks, fixed.

I just did a wild battle where I had the "natural" speed advantage. I did indeed get 2 tail sweeps on my dark whelping when the enemy pet used surge. Make sure its not a "miss" that isn't visually displaying (but will show up in the pet log).

1. Yeah, I was wrong. Like reflect, it seems that moves that can't miss are immune to the fixed miss rate that penalizes all other moves. I took Legs and tried to miss with his laser against level 1s and 24s and was unable (he's level 1 (2 by accident)).

2. I went to make sure it wasn't a fluke in the Veil of Eternal Blossoms, and my Dark Whelping (who was naturally faster than the poor quality Golden Civet) would strike twice each time he used Surge. I believe it was just a display error, similar to how frog kiss and a few other abilities don't show a "miss" when they, well, miss. If you check the pet combat log (or try it out now) you'll see what I'm talking about (frog kiss "misses" do show up in the pet combat log, and an interesting side note, the polymorph can "hit" when the damage portion "misses).

1. 'kay, undid that split.
2. I know there is a bug with it, but I guess that isn't the bug. I'm pretty sure one of the bugs occurs when the pets both have the same speed. I removed the bug from the list.

1. To go more into detail on this one, it stops the enemy from even gaining the "sons" to attack back as well, while submerging the flayer (the turnip is submerged, but hes pretty much helpless). I've only tested this against nishi and not a player, so i'm not sure if players are locked into it or not.

2. Either way, the "fix" they did in 5.1 to prevent flayers from flying forever makes it inconsistent with how it interacts. Reflecting on the turn liftoff/burrow/dive is cast simply makes you waste reflect, and you have to cast it now when the damage would be delivered. Seems like it should also interact with liftoff similar to how it does with other abilities like Ice Tomb. Probably a quick fix that wasn't thought out very far.

1. Updated the bug entry.

2. Iffy. Maybe even too iffy for the "Not Sure If Intended" section considering the alternative. A full copy of the move is out of the question considering what Reflection is supposed to do, and the only other way for Reflection to work at all with Lift-Off and friends is for it to be able to counter the incoming damage. I think this is okay because the pet cannot use a different ability to cast on the second turn and is locked into the sequence of events, so Reflection is still reflecting the "next ability" even though it is a continuation of something cast the previous turn.

However, that does make me wonder how Deep Breath and friends interact with Reflection.

01/07/2013 04:00 AMPosted by Awkward

Confirming that Lock On doesn't bug the Mechanical passive.

Thanks, removing that from the list.

P.S. Thank god, finally caught up to current post.
Edited by Simca on 1/7/2013 4:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Some more bugs......

Cocoon strike's animation can get "stuck" on moths. I noticed this when the shield was removed by a cyclone hit.

Tooltip error - No where on Cocoon Strike does it state that it sets your speed to 0 AND roots you in place till the shield is gone.

As far as moves that rely on going first or last for effects and pets that have the same speed, I think ATM that their not scripted to check to see who "won the coin flip" and went first or last. I think right now it simply compares the speed, and if its the same, you get "no benefit". I have never noticed moves that get a bonus hit for going first getting an extra hit on same speed pets. I'll see if I can test and verify this with another player later (should be extremely easy, just match a 325 speed flayer against another one, see if either one ever scores more than 2 hits).
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
2. Iffy. Maybe even too iffy for the "Not Sure If Intended" section considering the alternative. A full copy of the move is out of the question considering what Reflection is supposed to do, and the only other way for Reflection to work at all with Lift-Off and friends is for it to be able to counter the incoming damage. I think this is okay because the pet cannot use a different ability to cast on the second turn and is locked into the sequence of events, so Reflection is still reflecting the "next ability" even though it is a continuation of something cast the previous turn.

However, that does make me wonder how Deep Breath and friends interact with Reflection.

Yeah, I just wanted consistency basically on how reflect works (right now its a horrible mess). Technically, Ice Tomb doesn't do damage when cast, but reflect reflects it. DoT's do damage, but reflect doesn't prevent, or redirect, the damage on those already on you (with the exception of field dots). It's fine that it currently doesn't do anything if you happen to cast it on lift off, but even though that part is evasive, it is still ultimately a hostile action (similar to how Ice Tomb is). The skill needs some serious work done to it regardless.
Edited by Surrender on 1/7/2013 4:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Eggnog. Either not working right, or horribly worded.

Eggnog
2 Turn Cooldown
Removes all buffs and debuffs.

Currently Eggnog only affects the user. For comparison purposes.....

Sear Magic
2 Turn Cooldown
Removes all buffs and debuffs from the user.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Several abilities do not display Floating Combat Text when they Miss, are Dodged, or even Hit. Known culprits of this bug: Arcane Blast, Arcane Explosion, and Frog Kiss. (Need more information from Players)

ive seen this issue with sleeping gas on my infinite whelpling. no damage, no miss/dodge, and nothing showing up on my pet bsattle log.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Added a new major bug:
If the enemy pet is Blinded, Belly Slide will always hit. As such, it is basically a zero cooldown Nocturnal Strike. The tooltip says nothing about this.

Thank you anonymous level 1 Blood Elf.

Eggnog. Either not working right, or horribly worded.

Eggnog
2 Turn Cooldown
Removes all buffs and debuffs.

Currently Eggnog only affects the user. For comparison purposes.....

Sear Magic
2 Turn Cooldown
Removes all buffs and debuffs from the user.

Added.

01/07/2013 05:44 AMPosted by Trollinthndr
Several abilities do not display Floating Combat Text when they Miss, are Dodged, or even Hit. Known culprits of this bug: Arcane Blast, Arcane Explosion, and Frog Kiss. (Need more information from Players)

ive seen this issue with sleeping gas on my infinite whelpling. no damage, no miss/dodge, and nothing showing up on my pet bsattle log.

Updated.
Edited by Simca on 1/7/2013 10:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Don't forget the 2 Cocoon Strike issues I noted earlier :D

The animation can get stuck on moths. When it happened to me, it was when I was slower (so the enemy pet had already hit me), then I attacked, and cyclone hit me and "removed" my buff, but the animation stayed for the whole fight.

Cocoon strike also does not mention anywhere in the tooltip that for the duration of the "buff" your speed is reduced to 0 and you cannot switch out.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
One bug I have noticed and it "bugs" me personally is when I use Rag against the Pandaren Water spirit it never fails if he uses his underground ability to get 3 free attacks I always get: Warning unavailable instanceaura invalid <insert no.>

And the number inserted is like always 11 or 16. It stops the fight dead. Plus sometimes when I start a fight with the pandaren water spirit it stops before it even begins. This is the only time I have encountered this problem.

When I first started fighting the pandaren spirits whenever I would battle the pandaren earth elemental my fight would stop mid fight and just stop. I mean it would like jump out of the battle sequence. That was very aggravating especially if you were finally winning one. But that hasn't happened any lately.

I didn't see any of these listed in your list of bugs but I might have overlooked them cause there are so many bugs. lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]