Rare crows are not fun.

60 Night Elf Druid
This is just what I was afraid of when they first announced that in addition to having "hard to find" pets, we'd also have random pet rarity. The odds at finding a rare-quality crow pet are terrible, and most frustratingly because there are so many different elements of RNG that have to align in your favor to obtain one.

Consider:
  • They're only capture during the first full week of the month (Darkmoon Faire).
  • You must find a pet battle in Darkmoon Island, a highly populated area, and hope you don't get beaten to it or ganked while fighting (PvP realms only).
  • The random level of the pet that seems to range from 1 to 10 must be 5 or higher.
  • The secondary pet must be a crow, about maybe a 1 in 6 chance.
  • And only THEN do you have the chance for that pet to be rare.
  • This is simply frustrating, and not the least bit enjoyable. Pet stones help offset the problem slightly but those too are so hard to find and/or expensive, and using one just means one less stone you can use on pets that aren't even available as rares.

All I ask is that either you let crows spawn as primary pets, or limit the pet spawns to level 5 and up so there's always going to be a secondary pet in the battle.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    BnB
    To be honest there are far worse pets to try to get as rare.
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Druid
    The first time I decided to try to get a crow the first bug I ever battled had a rare crow as a secondary. I forgot to put my turnip in the party but one of my pets had weak moves to flying so I figured I'd be fine. It crit and one shot the bird, took me another hour to find a crow and it was common. I caught the common and didn't go back....
    Reply Quote
    60 Night Elf Druid
    01/07/2013 12:47 PMPosted by Hearus

I'll make posts to complain about those as I encounter them.

^_____^
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Death Knight

The Crow is up there with almost any other pet, for the reasons the OP listed. RNG is fine... RNG+RNG+RNG is just frustrating.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    Good thing they introduced stones.
    Reply Quote
    60 Night Elf Druid
    01/07/2013 01:12 PMPosted by Jitterbug
    Good thing they introduced stones.

I already mentioned stones. Of course the worst is when you get so used to killing anything that isn't rare for pet experience that you forget to capture a rare when it finally spawns.

Posting right after I killed a rare Lofty Libram. T_T
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Death Knight
    The pvp issue is easy to work around - roll a DK on a pve server, and it can go to the fair and crow hunt for you. As for the rest of it, /shrug. Some rares are hard to find; if they were all easy, then what would be the point?

If you want to have every pet be a rare, that's a choice you've made. It's not something the game is forcing you to do (or even encouraging you to do). If you aren't having fun with it, then make a different choice.
    Reply Quote
    60 Night Elf Druid
    I guess the solution is to make a post about it since after trying to get it forever I caught a rare crow (level 10, nearly killed my team of level 6,7 and 7), as well as the Lofty Libram I killed earlier.

Still not fun though. Just a relief that I can now spend my time doing things I have more control over.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    BnB
    01/07/2013 01:56 PMPosted by Lorinall
    trying to get it forever

Forever is a lot longer than you think it is.

The Crow is up there with almost any other pet, for the reasons the OP listed. RNG is fine... RNG+RNG+RNG is just frustrating.

Secondary spawning pets are not anywhere close to as bad as primary spawn only pets.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Hunter
    To be fair to the OP, yes it's incredibly difficult. Last Faire, not only did I get nothing in the rarity I wanted, I didn't even get the build I wanted after spending hours out there every night.

But... If you're thinking of it this way, you're wasting an incredible amount of effort. Never farm for rares. It's obsolete. Farm battle-stones. Do all 12 dailies every day; you'll spend less time and effort and get a Flying Stone quicker (far, far quicker) than you will ever find a rare Crow.

Even spending that same time battling high-level pokemon in the wild will award BoE flawless Stones quicker.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Paladin

I've spent more effort on the Crow than any other Battle Pet so far.

5 !@#$ing Rare Adders, zero of anything else rare as a secondary. I've gone through 500+ Glowflies.
    Edited by Simca on 1/7/2013 2:55 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    BnB
    01/07/2013 02:51 PMPosted by Simca

5 !@#$ing Rare Adders, zero of anything else rare as a secondary. I've gone through 500+ Glowflies.

You having bad luck on it must make it the worst, I see your point.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    I just used a stone. Flying is one of the easiest to farm as you can plow through the dragonbone hatchlings in dragonblight with no fuss.

I don't know why you would keep banging your head against something... it is like people who farm for rare things instead of just using half the time to farm the gold to buy it. Use your time efficiently!
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Paladin

You having bad luck on it must make it the worst, I see your point.

I'm just saying that this has the POTENTIAL to be a nightmare beyond nightmares due to the triple RNG.

I just used a stone. Flying is one of the easiest to farm as you can plow through the dragonbone hatchlings in dragonblight with no fuss.

I don't know why you would keep banging your head against something... it is like people who farm for rare things instead of just using half the time to farm the gold to buy it. Use your time efficiently!

BUT NOT ALL OF MY BALLOONS ARE RARE YET!

(I'm kidding... mostly. I just get into a silly mood sometimes where I want to grind something, so I spent that night entirely grinding Glowflies last month.)
    Edited by Simca on 1/7/2013 2:58 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid
    Just a relief that I can now spend my time doing things I have more control over.

You have always had that choice.
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Warlock
    After spending approximately seven thousand years getting a damn larva, I'm just gonna stone that Crow. There's no need for me to play the RNG on top of RNG game.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    This is just what I was afraid of when they first announced that in addition to having "hard to find" pets, we'd also have random pet rarity. The odds at finding a rare-quality crow pet are terrible, and most frustratingly because there are so many different elements of RNG that have to align in your favor to obtain one.

Consider:
  • They're only capture during the first full week of the month (Darkmoon Faire).
  • You must find a pet battle in Darkmoon Island, a highly populated area, and hope you don't get beaten to it or ganked while fighting (PvP realms only).
  • The random level of the pet that seems to range from 1 to 10 must be 5 or higher.
  • The secondary pet must be a crow, about maybe a 1 in 6 chance.
  • And only THEN do you have the chance for that pet to be rare.
  • This is simply frustrating, and not the least bit enjoyable. Pet stones help offset the problem slightly but those too are so hard to find and/or expensive, and using one just means one less stone you can use on pets that aren't even available as rares.

All I ask is that either you let crows spawn as primary pets, or limit the pet spawns to level 5 and up so there's always going to be a secondary pet in the battle.

you think thats bad have you tried to farm the rabbit. at least with these crows you can keep looking all week long. the rabbit you gotta sit wait and hope you can get the group for a 20 man boss fight witch only drops 1 item every 24-48 hours spawn time. farming the crows are nothing by comparison...then again no other item has been so half reared set up like this. even time lost was more reasonably set up or those scourged whelplings were set up better.
    Edited by Reinforce on 1/7/2013 3:29 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    60 Night Elf Druid
    01/07/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Hearus
    trying to get it forever

Forever is a lot longer than you think it is.

Secondary spawning pets are not anywhere close to as bad as primary spawn only pets.

They're pretty bad in zones that are have pets less than and equal to level 5. Have to kill off the <5 pet just so it will stop taking up a spawn point and hopefully the next one will be 5 or higher so it can spawn with a secondary.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    BnB
    They're pretty bad in zones that are have pets less than and equal to level 5. Have to kill off the <5 pet just so it will stop taking up a spawn point and hopefully the next one will be 5 or higher so it can spawn with a secondary.

I hunted the rare larva for 4 days. I am still without a rare silent hedgehog and not from lack of trying. I am not speaking from a place of ignorance on the issue.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]