"The oldies"

90 Undead Warlock
Someone on another thread (Conspiracy) said in reaction to Sixy Got a Badunkadunk is the largest thread ever on these forums:

"Looks like the oldies still control the server's forums, nothing to complain about I suppose."

Hardly.

Server forums are now littered with recruitment threads even though there is a separate forum for that. I am not 100% against that as you want to use whatever avenues are available to advertise your guild, but back in the "day," the forums were not controlled by the "oldies." The forums were controlled by individuals who cared about the COMMUNITY of Silvermoon, people who actually enjoy(ed) the concept of knowing that each player was a different PERSON. We liked sharing a part of ourselves, a part you can't share while mashing buttons in a dungeon. Now if you consider those people "oldies," that's fine, but the majority of those "oldies" (by the way I am 27, hardly old) are a dying breed of gamers.

The forums were a nice break from the game itself. Whether we talked about the game or whale genitalia (true story), it was open to everyone. Sure some spoke more often than others and may have been more controversial than others, but most of us didn't come here to be eCelebrities. We just wanted to get involved and get the server as a whole involved.

It's a shame that it feels like the mentality of gamers (not the game like many others like to complain is the case) has become nothing more than "log on, get loot, log off." MMOs have always been more than that. Hell, I could log on, sit on a rock in Orgimmar, and do nothing but socialize for hours and I still enjoy myself. Ventrilo servers used to be packed with people, not players, who would joke and banter on about anything and everything, oh and maybe we would do a dungeon if we felt like it. But the emergence and ultimate dominance of the FPS has created a new gamer...a gamer that is too busy beating people instead of actually enjoy PLAYING with people. You queue up, you do your thing, maybe talk some smack, then leave. No hellos, no goodbyes, it's like playing with robots. We all love playing the game to its core, but many of us got turned off by the gradual shift of the FPS mentality in an MMO environment. The ones that stayed are now called "oldies."

People stop playing the game and move on...that's inevitable. But for a while, the new guys that came in had the same mindset and new friendships and bonds were created. But as times change, so did the landscape. New players emerged who felt they needed more instant satisfaction within the game, and Blizzard, being the smart business they are, evolved with the times...so it's not Blizzard's fault we have Dungeon Finder, LFR, player farms, reputation tabards, justice/valor points, etc. The key to success for any professional, no matter what you do, is the ability to adapt and evolve.

The playerbase evolved, WoW evolved with it in order to keep up. Do I miss the way it was from a community perspective? By far more than anything. Do I appreciate Blizzard putting forth the effort to incorporate ways for more players to experience everything they have tirelessly spent hours to create for us? For sure.

Do I feel like we could have been able to have all these things and yet manage to hold onto the one true thing that makes MMOs different from all other genres, genuine player interaction? That was all up to us, the players, to preserve. The majority spoke and said they could do without it, as if it was getting in the way of being the best, as if there was no time, and it was min-max or bust, and min-maxers had no time to be people in a game full of people, and instead be avatars in a game full of avatars.

And that, my friends, is a crying shame.

Apologies for the lengthiness, I get carried away sometimes.
Edited by Taux on 1/10/2013 2:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I think a major reason the "oldies" stopped coming to the forums so much is simply because anything and everything we posted was reported by someone. This, as you all too well remember, is a HUGE reason the forums died. That's the sad part :(
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
True. I can only post now because when the new forums were created, all bans were lifted. And I didn't exactly post anything ban-worthy.

I think I get banned because someone reported a post regarding me making a raft out of Eskimos, because Eskimo is considered a racial slur.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
TL;DR

/yawn
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
TL;DR

/yawn

Brilliant contribution.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
I really do miss the old days for the forums.. mind you not the game. I enjoy the game itself far more these days, but I do miss running dungeons with server people, popping into a BG and seeing Hellwalker, Pauliskhan et al and knowing the Ilterendi crew would be up for a challenge!

I do find myself lucky that my guild is pretty much entirely made up with local friends so I still have that friendly aspect all the time, but I miss Silvermoon of old.. really I do. :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
TL;DR

/yawn

Brilliant contribution.

Better than being underage b&.
Edited by Swetrkittenz on 1/8/2013 4:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Death Knight
01/08/2013 02:16 PMPosted by Bearbutt
I think a major reason the "oldies" stopped coming to the forums so much is simply because anything and everything we posted was reported by someone. This, as you all too well remember, is a HUGE reason the forums died. That's the sad part :(

I'm reporting you for talking about reporting.

I hardly consider myself an "oldie" here since I only transferred here sometime before TBC (then "quit" and started again at the end of TBC). The forums were already starting to move towards recruitment-only threads then and that trend has done nothing more than continue.

Every time I make a joke about getting the women back into the kitchen I worry a little that someone's going to freak out and report me and I'll be banned. Banned from forever posting jokes about how women should only play WoW if they're playing it while simultaneously making a sandwich for their man AND baking something.

Always baking. Baking all the things.

Always.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Every time I log on I hope to see someone from the old days, but it never happens. I have a friends list a mile long of old characters whom I used to play with. Maybe one day ill log on and see one of them on.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
My friends list "pre RealID" is the most depressing thing I look at when I am ingame.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
I would agree 100% taux at some point it became more about purple pixels and less about community and friends. I can honestly say that the people i have played with are what keeps me logging in. Over the years i have moved through a few guilds from Quixotic/Farmer to PGB to Sanitarium in BC then on to nefarious intent and intrepid in wrath and my current home of Minions... and through that journey i have made some awesome friends, met some insanely interesting people and if it wasn't for them i would not keep coming back.

In minions we have several of the "oldies" and we often talk about the old days fondly, I hate that ppl race to get pixels instead of stopping and enjoying the game more. I tease ppl all the time about racing through levels and content without stopping to enjoy how awesome this game is and how awesome alot of the people are that play it. The part i miss most is actual funny interesting world chat (i.e. trade).

There was a small group of haters that used to report everything, i won't mention names for fear of them popping up again like beetlejuice but i would agree that had a huge effect on people posting here.

/waffles
/popcorn
/badunkadunk
/mute is a horde meanie

Mixilplik/Baloran/Ordained/Tuffguy
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
i won't mention names for fear of them popping up again like beetlejuice...

U dun goof'd
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Death Knight
01/10/2013 10:32 AMPosted by Mixilplik
popping up again like beetlejuice

I think someone wrote a fanfic where that happened.

If you know what I mean.
Edited by Quetzal on 1/10/2013 3:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
blah blah *snip*

... and through that journey i have met some insanely interesting people and if it wasn't for them i would not keep coming back.

more blah blah *snip*

/mute is who I mean from the above statement

Edited that for you bro.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
01/09/2013 02:55 PMPosted by Quetzal

I'm reporting you for talking about reporting.

I hardly consider myself an "oldie" here since I only transferred here sometime before TBC (then "quit" and started again at the end of TBC). The forums were already starting to move towards recruitment-only threads then and that trend has done nothing more than continue.

Every time I make a joke about getting the women back into the kitchen I worry a little that someone's going to freak out and report me and I'll be banned. Banned from forever posting jokes about how women should only play WoW if they're playing it while simultaneously making a sandwich for their man AND baking something.

Always baking. Baking all the things.

Always.

OH TOTALLY REPORTING YOU BRO, DON'T REPORT ME FOR SAYING I REPORTED YOU :P
Reply Quote
81 Human Paladin
@posts are illegal,
trolling is dead,
history has been made and those of us from the beginning know who the legends are
these new cats only think for themselves and their gear score

Yes hard modes and heroics seem to be pure genius, but the matter of the fact is that it was fun racing to be the best knowing that nobody else could ever dream of being in the position you were in.

I started playing when I was 15 and now I'm 22, this game doesn't have the same meaning to me... getting made fun of cause I had dial-up during vanilla and up into BC... slamming my head into the wall trying to do Kael'thas, Vashj, Archimonde, Illidan, and failing at Failmyst... WotLK was when the life of this game started disappearing with how easy the raids were just so casuals could experience what the hardcore players would have loved spending hours wiping on. Never played during Cata and now I hardly play during Mists... game isn't that intriguing to me anymore... now farming is all about how many dailies you can do in a day, not how many NPC's you kill for loot to sell on the AH... PvP was probably at its high point in BC and now its about who has the most Resil and PvP power... for real?

Blizzard did what everyone expected... tuned this game to the people that couldn't grasp it and pulled them in. Now they probably use all that money as toilet paper. Remember in America, the only way to make it big is to pray on the weak.

Thats my 2 cents, I'm sure Blizzard appreciates it.

-Waylo
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
@posts are illegal,
trolling is dead,
history has been made and those of us from the beginning know who the legends are
these new cats only think for themselves and their gear score

Yes hard modes and heroics seem to be pure genius, but the matter of the fact is that it was fun racing to be the best knowing that nobody else could ever dream of being in the position you were in.

I started playing when I was 15 and now I'm 22, this game doesn't have the same meaning to me... getting made fun of cause I had dial-up during vanilla and up into BC... slamming my head into the wall trying to do Kael'thas, Vashj, Archimonde, Illidan, and failing at Failmyst... WotLK was when the life of this game started disappearing with how easy the raids were just so casuals could experience what the hardcore players would have loved spending hours wiping on. Never played during Cata and now I hardly play during Mists... game isn't that intriguing to me anymore... now farming is all about how many dailies you can do in a day, not how many NPC's you kill for loot to sell on the AH... PvP was probably at its high point in BC and now its about who has the most Resil and PvP power... for real?

Blizzard did what everyone expected... tuned this game to the people that couldn't grasp it and pulled them in. Now they probably use all that money as toilet paper. Remember in America, the only way to make it big is to pray on the weak.

Thats my 2 cents, I'm sure Blizzard appreciates it.

-Waylo

Please forgive me if I come off as rude...but the challenge still exists for those hardcore raiders in the heroic difficulties.

I am completely 100% for the new raiding model. Everyone has the right to see the content and to see it completed. They DO NOT, however, have the same right to identical iLevel loot. There is still a prestige for those that can do gold medal times in challenge mode dungeons and can complete heroic mode raids. There is still a race in that aspect.

And I also tend to get a little annoyed when people who raid normally complain about the inclusion of LFR. LFR was not meant for you. If you wish to use it to have a slight edge in gear (gear you don't need to clear the next tier of normal raiding), you may use it, but that's not what LFR was meant for.

Finally I get annoyed when people who have not killed The Lich King on normal and nothing in Heroic raiding complain that WoW is now too easy and there is no challenge in raiding, missing "how hard it was to kill bosses in Vanilla and TBC." The only reason why it was harder back then was the learning curve of the people playing. When the game came out, we were all stupid. We let simple dispel fights like Lucifron take months to down for the first time. We are a smarter playerbase now. Vanilla and TBC were not harder, we were dumber. If someone dropped Tsulong into MC as the first boss back in the day, our heads would have exploded.
Edited by Taux on 2/1/2013 12:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
blah blah *snip*

... and through that journey i have met some insanely interesting people and if it wasn't for them i would not keep coming back.

more blah blah *snip*

/mute is who I mean from the above statement

Edited that for you bro.

there you go stalking me again bro... someday you will come back leave those horde meanies and come home to the alliance side..... bro.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
[quote]
there you go stalking me again bro... someday you will come back leave those horde meanies and come home to the alliance side..... bro.

I only stalk on Facebook so I bet you regret friending me now don't you!

Also, the alliance thing... just a phase. Like collegiate girl/girl "relationships". I outgrew it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]