Mana regen at the end of MoP

90 Worgen Druid
With fixed mana pools and mana costs at 90, how high do you think mana regeneration will be at the end of the expansion? Will it eventually scale less after a certain point(if it doesn't already), like other secondary stats, or will there be less spirit on gear?
Reply Quote
01/07/2013 04:20 AMPosted by Verouille
With fixed mana pools and mana costs at 90, how high do you think mana regeneration will be at the end of the expansion? Will it eventually scale less after a certain point(if it doesn't already), like other secondary stats, or will there be less spirit on gear?

Spirit regen gains are linear.

If we end MoP 3 tiers of content in, we're looking at 18-20k spirit. So, maybe 25k Mp5.

This is just some napkin math, so I could be way off.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It really depends on how Blizzard designs encounters.

If encounters hit harder in frequent bursts we'd be forced us to use expensive heals more often and increased spirit will be needed on gear.

Otherwise encounters may be like they are now with large burst damage every few minutes and steady raid damage, except the damage is progressively greater with each tier. In that model they could design gear to have a spirit plateau where you see fewer spirit increases, but more of other secondary stats.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/07/2013 05:35 AMPosted by Gijira
If we end MoP 3 tiers of content in, we're looking at 18-20k spirit. So, maybe 25k Mp5.

From what i hear on the ptr, next tier's gear is actually coming quite close to that number. I'm just hoping that we'll be more focused on throughput than stacking regen like now.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Knowing blizzard I would expect that we will see more and more "healer" gear that doesn't contain spirit. As it is right now, our tier legs already don't have spirit, and I feel like that's just the beginning :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/07/2013 10:51 AMPosted by Gotnorice
Knowing blizzard I would expect that we will see more and more "healer" gear that doesn't contain spirit. As it is right now, our tier legs already don't have spirit, and I feel like that's just the beginning :(

I'm wearing a ton of non spirit gear and i'm finding out it's actually quite nice. as long as the pieces are well itemized.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/07/2013 10:57 AMPosted by Keirisonis

I'm wearing a ton of non spirit gear and i'm finding out it's actually quite nice. as long as the pieces are well itemized.

Eh. I want spirit on everything. I'm not happy unless I have a fat mana pool to sit on and be miserly with. :-P

I think we're already going to hit 18-25k Spirit by next tier, actually.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Eh. I want spirit on everything. I'm not happy unless I have a fat mana pool to sit on and be miserly with. :-P

Which is funny because i remember hearing 18k is where disc's regen model breaks and we can cast indefinitely. Before the buff we got in that hotfix. And the buff we're slated for next patch.

Mana battery anyone?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest

Which is funny because i remember hearing 18k is where disc's regen model breaks and we can cast indefinitely. Before the buff we got in that hotfix. And the buff we're slated for next patch.

Mana battery anyone?

I did some crappy math on the subject a while ago. At ~16k Spirit and managing a Rapture proc every 14 seconds, you could sustain PoH spam pretty much indefinitely. That was with 200% Rapture and Mindbender though.

14 second Raptures (on average) are really hard to maintain though. I think 20 seconds is probably more reasonable. We're also probably not going to be using Mindbender next patch since PW:Sol is better. In this case, I think the number's probably around 18k, but I'd have to do the math again.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I really wanna go back and find the post where...I think it was either Riot or Anohako...pointed out that the fixed mana pool would do nothing to fix the mana regen problems we saw in Cataclysm. That it would still get out of control, and quickly. And they were roundly ignored.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
To be fair, I think the only situation in which mana regen is scaling out of control is Rapture. For everyone else, Spirit is valuable, but I'm not certain if it's going to scale to a point where they don't have to pay attention to their mana any more.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/07/2013 12:53 PMPosted by Skootalloo
To be fair, I think the only situation in which mana regen is scaling out of control is Rapture. For everyone else, Spirit is valuable, but I'm not certain if it's going to scale to a point where they don't have to pay attention to their mana any more.

I believe that the point they were making, however, was that a fixed mana pool alone does not actually address mana regen scaling. There have to be other factors, too. And we were being told that a fixed mana pool was the be-all and end-all of the issue with mana regen.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/07/2013 12:53 PMPosted by Skootalloo

I believe that paladins will reach a nice little plateau with mana regen as well, when holy shock casting becomes mana neutral or mana positive. Not nearly as much of a gain as rapture gives us but certainly better than some other classes.

Druids in particular don't seem like the'll scale all that well with high spirit without some mechanical tweaks. Rejuv being their main aoe choice when their other choices aren't good enough (happens enough in 25 mans, and in some 10 man situations.)

I don't think that blizz will itemize with high spirit in mind in the final tier though. They seem to think that having mana actually matter is a good thing. Something that i wholeheartedly agree with, as long as encounters don't force chaincasting to keep everyone alive. (tier 13 heroic says HI)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]