Snow in the Storm Peaks

90 Night Elf Druid
I've put a lot of effort into finding a snowstorm in the Storm Peaks so that I can hunt down an arctic fox kit and get the last of the northrend wild pets. In fact, the amount of effort I have put in borders on obsessive and is becoming a problem. Anyway, endless circling of the zone since Christmas has revealed that the only time I find it snowing is when I'm on a taxi flying into the zone. When I land, it pulls me to the CRZ, and the snow and fox kits go away.

I've been told by GMs that the snow is not zone-wide and is difficult to see. However, I'm looking for arctic fox kits, which are clearly visible, regardless of if my graphics settings let me see the snow or not. Also, since I'm hitting the most areas of the zone every 2 minutes or so, there's very little chance that I would miss it snowing.

I also know that some people ARE finding snow storms, or claiming that they have, and linking fox kits in general chat.

So, I'm curious. If you have found an arctic fox kit, what server were you on and when did you find it snowing? I'm on Winterhoof, and since Christmas, I have never seen it snow when I had control of my character.
Reply Quote
92 Draenei Priest
Leave an alt there - check periodically.

Profit!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I parked my mage in the zone and spent most of my holiday vacation occasionally logging him in until a storm finally happened. They were everywhere so I must have just caught the beginning of it. Keep trying...
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
My main Alliance server Borean Tundra which shares with Fenris, Lightbringer, Echo Isles, and Cairne. Forgot the other ones.

It was in the morning time. I had my DK parked there and the moment I logged in there was snow. So, since that worked for me I suggest doing the same. It's better than mindless circling the area or standing still. If you know anyone camping for a hunter pet or the Time Lost Proto Drake have them send you a whisper if they see it start to snow.

There really is no other helpful information that I am aware of. It's either just luck or having someone inform you.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I have a couple alts, with different phase progressions, parked in Storm Peaks that I have been logging into occasionally. Since Christmas, however, I've put in a MUCH greater effort, bordering on obsessive.

I _HAVE_ seen it snow, and I have seen arctic fox kits. HOWEVER, every time I've seen it snow was while I was riding a taxi into the zone. The instant I actually had control of my character, the snow and fox kits vanished, along with all the mobs. An instant later, the mobs/NPCs re-appeared, but the snow and fox kits did not. Which suggests that the snow is happening in my server's realm, but not in the CRZ that I am being pulled to.

*EDIT: I've also counted 15 different servers in general chat while I've been looking. Unfortunately, I lost my list so I'll have to begin making it again. The more common servers I've seen are also the servers I saw people claiming to have found fox kits and seen it snowing.
Edited by Kaci on 1/8/2013 3:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Any advice? Other than quitting work, finding some nodoze, and spending 24/7 looking for snow? Because spending all my free time looking for snow is obviously not working.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I found one a couple weeks ago late morning, I hadn't really been camping just briefly checkign after defeating Major Payne and I got lucky.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Troll Priest
01/09/2013 01:31 PMPosted by Kaci
Any advice? Other than quitting work, finding some nodoze, and spending 24/7 looking for snow? Because spending all my free time looking for snow is obviously not working.

Honestly, leave an alt there, and check occasionally. You will find the snow.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/09/2013 01:31 PMPosted by Kaci

If on second thought you do decide to really dedicate yourself to the camp and dig in your heals, I recommend setting your media player to a song titled: "Peeing in a bottle." This song should be your background music for any relentless grind. Best of luck to you.
Reply Quote
Unfortunately before the world server went down it was in fact snowing in the Storm Peaks (Muradin realm) I had been camping it on an alt toon for 2 weeks, periodically logging over. I managed to catch a common quality arctic fox finally and get my achievement. It does snow but is ridiculously rare.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/09/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Raziya
Honestly, leave an alt there, and check occasionally. You will find the snow.

Yeah, did that for a month before I settled down to try a more consistant presence. Spent a day sitting in a spot that is supposed to frequently get snows. Spent a couple more flying through every region of the zone in a 3 minute or so cycle.

The ONLY time I've seen snow in the Storm Peaks since the CRZs went live is when I'm riding a taxi either through or into the zone. The instant I land, the snow and fox kits vanish. Well, that's not quite true. I did see snow one other time, when I was flying my steed in from the Argent Tournament Grounds -- and then, just before I got close enough to click on a fox, everything vanished and a second later the mobs re-appeared, but no snow or foxes.

Thus, I'm starting to think that the CRZ is the issue.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
CRZ or phasing? I had the same thing happen to me.. saw a pet spawn but when I got close to it the pet disappeared. I'm not sure if it was phasing or some CRZ issue though.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Realm Khaz'Goroth, time 12.30 pm realm time. Found mine on the Snowdrift Plains - North Western corner of Storm Peaks - there were probably two dozen of them running around, it was NOT snowing at the time BUT I had flown over from Icecrown so it could have been snowing prior to my arrival. I had an alt flying between Sindragosa's Fall and the Plains. Only second time visiting the plains so lucky I guess considering how many are still looking for this adorable lil baby. Good luck in your search!
Reply Quote
Same here, it's extremely frustrating and Blizzard doesn't seem to give a... . It's impossible to get a simple achievement like the Northrend Tamer, as the one or two pets I find phase out.

According to the pet journal, there should be Mountain Skunks and Arctic Hares, no matter if it's snowing or not. I can't find a single one. Do they show up for anyone else?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Same here, it's extremely frustrating and Blizzard doesn't seem to give a... . It's impossible to get a simple achievement like the Northrend Tamer, as the one or two pets I find phase out.

According to the pet journal, there should be Mountain Skunks and Arctic Hares, no matter if it's snowing or not. I can't find a single one. Do they show up for anyone else?

When I was looking for my fox I did come accross a couple skunks and hares. They were few and very far in between. My best tips would be:

Keep moving from sub zone to sub zone. Even when it was snowing I'd find some sub zones completely empty and others filled with critters.

If you don't find anything in a pass, check back in a half hour or more. Snow storms, if they do start, seem to last for a fair amount of time and even if you miss the start, respawns do happen during snow storms.

You can kill two birds with one stone by sweeping down and checking to see if any scourged whelplings are up in the neighboring zone.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
The whole snowing thing isn't the only hurdle. Have fun catching a rare.

There's nobody in the zone right now so I could clear every spawn I could find by myself and without screwing anyone else. Part of the result of my first clearing flyby:

http://i.imgur.com/TB402.jpg?1

Not pictured: several other identical groups, and breeds being exactly the same within the combinations.

It's not the first time I've seen those results. Apparently the entire zone is treated as a single region, having only a couple combinations until they respawn into different ones after being killed. And the respawns will also be similar to each other.

I found a rare at a spawn point I had cleared two or three times before it stopped snowing.
Reply Quote
I see it snowing a lot around K3. I’ve caught a couple rares there.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I suspect its a combination of CRZ and Phasing. I had three alts that I was checking regularly with -- each one was in a different phase. One had done no missions, one had done all the missions, and the other was somewhere in the middle. Saw it snowing while flying in to Snowdrift plains, but the instant I landed, it was gone. Checked with all three alts. No dice. Had someone on another server say that it was snowing there and they also claimed they hadn't done any missions, so my first alt should have seen the same phase.

Managed to finally catch one by exploiting network lag. Flew in from the Tournament grounds on a fast steed and clicked as I landed. Took several tries, but I finally got one. I'm not happy about it -- I mean, I did have to cheat slightly. But with how hard I was looking, I was getting seriously frustrated.
Reply Quote
I spent ages trying to find a snow storm that didn't work out, so with the pets dropping out i figured finding an area that wasn't phased was best.
At the cross over between Brann's base camp and valley of the ancient winters ( 60,58) if u walk east to west in a straight line u can work out where the phase line is as u cross into valley u are able to see Niffelem Frost Giants and they vanish when u cross back to Brann's base camp. If u stand right by the line wait for the arctic hares to get close( there was 3 when i did this) then fly at them clicking frantically u can get one in a few tries.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]