High Latency related to Battlegroup?

(Locked)

90 Troll Druid
Possibly not this issue, I've posted traceroute and pathping in http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7810091184?page=1#11
for both yesterday and today. My symptom is disconnects.

Grizzly Hills, I am on Comcast in Beaverton OR.
90 Night Elf Druid
This still doesn't explain why Cogentco couldn't fix the issue. If it's an issue of load and you have all these people routing through them, why couldn't they buy more servers? I don't get it. What was the issue?

On top of that I'm still experiencing MS over 300 on Zul'jin from Arizona through Cox.

Edit: Scratch that, over 500 ms.

The reason why has been said many times over: Cogentco is unlikely to upgrade their system for a traffic load they aren't being paid for. You pay your ISP, Blizzard pays their ISP, and neither you nor Blizzard is paying Cogentco (just whatever deal is worked out between ISPs for peering), unless you happen to have Cogentco as your ISP, which is slightly unlikely here.
100 Draenei Warrior
I'm sure it is a money thing. Who knows what sort of arrangement is in place between ATT and Cogent for data rates at the peer interface in question. But if the arrangement's terms are met, neither side probably cares about this issue. Who knows what happened around Jan 9th to highlight this issue but prior to that everything seemed to be fine.

Even if ATT and Cogent decided their interface was undersized I hear that expanding it could involve some substantial hardware upgrades that could take months to implement.

I'm still holding out enough hope that a few ISPs will get enough complaints to route around Cogent so the existing node falls within its limits at high traffic periods. The timeline on this is TBD.
100 Troll Shaman
So, not to be a bother or anything, but could we possibly get an update as to the status of Blizzard's outside-the-box workaround solution, or at least an insight as to what it might be?

It's pretty clear at this point that all outside parties have little to no motivation to do anything to fix the solution so while I fully realize it is not Blizzard's fault or their responsibility to provide a solution, that's pretty much the only option on the table for the foreseeable future it seems.

Ditto and I agree. Even though there is a blue post with "better news" from Cogentco, I'm not holding my breath...
90 Gnome Mage
Its a baddddd day for latency
100 Night Elf Druid
time to get to work blizz. fix it. we deserve a free month also
90 Pandaren Monk
02/03/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Ekwarta

I'd LOVE to see how you figure that one out. Blizzard owes you NOTHING. Nil. Nadda. Zero. Zilch.
100 Worgen Mage
Latency was great in the middle of the night last night but it flared back up around 1pm central today.
100 Human Paladin
On the subject of the Cogentco issue, our global networking dept. has received encouraging reports that some of the ISPs on the Internet Backbone team are either in the process of routing their customers around Congentco or are at least actively considering it.

This is even better news than it sounds, as this issue doesn't actually require EVERY ISP to route around Cogentco. Once enough ISPs have rerouted traffic, the prime-time load on Cogentco's node will drop into tolerance levels and the latency and packet loss should cease even for those who are still routing through the suffering node.

I can't believe we're hearing about other ISPs rerouting around Cogent's bad node before we're hearing about Cogent fixing their bad node. They are effectively making their problem the problem of other ISPs and that's terrible business practice if you ask me.
Edited by Frad on 2/3/2013 12:58 PM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
On the subject of the Cogentco issue, our global networking dept. has received encouraging reports that some of the ISPs on the Internet Backbone team are either in the process of routing their customers around Congentco or are at least actively considering it.

This is even better news than it sounds, as this issue doesn't actually require EVERY ISP to route around Cogentco. Once enough ISPs have rerouted traffic, the prime-time load on Cogentco's node will drop into tolerance levels and the latency and packet loss should cease even for those who are still routing through the suffering node.

I can't believe we're hearing about other ISPs rerouting around Cogent's bad node before we're hearing about Cogent fixing their bad node. They are effectively making their problem the problem of other ISPs and that's terrible business practice if you ask me.

The sad thing is, it actually isnt a major issue. WoW based traffic is a very very small compared to the other traffic that gets passed through that hub.
90 Orc Hunter
Is anyone else here also getting stuck on loading screens and then dc'ing after about a minute of the bar not moving at all? This started happening to me yesterday, and I've also been having this lag problem for the past few days.

This loading screen problem REALLY sucks because it means I can't do arena at all.
100 Human Paladin

The sad thing is, it actually isnt a major issue. WoW based traffic is a very very small compared to the other traffic that gets passed through that hub.

It's all traffic going through that node that's getting bottle necked -- just just WoW packets.
87 Human Warrior
02/02/2013 08:33 AMPosted by Varlth
I have tried turning down the graphics system so it is definitely not a computer related issue.

*headdesk*

Computer settings don't make you lag. They can cause screen tearing and FPS loss, but lag is almost entirely internet related.

#themoreyouknow

This man is a genius hahaha... Everyone thinks lag is related to computer performance, and everyone thinks that lag and FPS dropping are the same effect.
87 Human Warrior
02/03/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Ekwarta

Please educate yourself. It is not Blizzard's fault. They are working very hard right now and it's not their fault.
I personally wouldn't mind a free month, but I say Cogentco pays for it 8-). At least Blizzard shouldn't pay for it.
Edited by Braytank on 2/3/2013 4:33 PM PST
90 Human Warlock
I've been having this problem as well, and it doesn't look like my ISP has been listed by anyone else (unless I missed it).

I live in Missouri.
ISP Charter Communications.
02/03/2013 04:32 PMPosted by Braytank
Please educate yourself. It is not Blizzard's fault. They are working very hard right now and it's not their fault.

While it isn't Blizzard's fault, it is their problem. Don't confuse the two terms.

On a more interesting note: I was able to play tonight. There was lag and packet loss, but it was greatly reduced. It could be that the superbowl pulled a number of people away from their computers and reduced the network load, but at least the problem moved in a positive direction for a change.
100 Gnome Warlock
No joy in Mudville here - weekend was basically unplayable after noon server time.

I have stopped farming on any alts with 16 plots, and only my main gets to do dailies. There is not enough time to do others before the lag gets to the point where I don't see what is hitting me (or is about to!).

Now entering the 6th week of this on Whisperwind, but I can go to Gnomeregan and have a steady 89ms latency. Unfortunately I have 11 alts, all professions, gold and heirlooms in the wrong server, and cannot justify the cost of moving them. On that note, seeing the cost of glyphs for new pandas in the 100s of gold just boggles the mind...
- Technical Support
100 Human Priest
I have seen many many tracerts and pathpings on the forum here over the last month. Cogentco is lagging and has problems, however there are many other carriers that have nothing to do with the Cogentco path that lag as soon as they hit AT&T.

Much if not all of this problem falls squarely on to AT&T's shoulders. You must remember when reading a pathping it is the last column before the | (pipe) symbol that matters. Then you must look at the next hop - not the hop with the packet loss showing. It is the next hop that is the problem.

Blizzard must be aware of this AT&T problem and considering they are cutting them a big fat cheque every month AT&T should be fixing it asap.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]