Need Shaman Healing Totem Advice

90 Pandaren Shaman
Ok, first a disclaimer, I just got back into wow after an extended break.
I did some raiding in Cata but not very much just LFR stuff. I did run a fair amount of heroics though and I did a lot of raid healing back in Wrath.

That being said I'm trying to wrap my head around this new MOP model

I understand our totems are shorter burst now but I really liked dropping 4 all at once.

I need some advice as to how others run their shamans healing in dungeons and raids.

So far I am doing fine, no deaths in several dungeon runs but I also feel I'm not being as effective as I could be. Granted I really don't need to be yet but that's not the point.

I want to be prepared to go into my first 10 man raid as a healer and keep everyone alive.

Skills I develop now will help me later and I would prefer to not have my first few raid experiences go South because of my lack of efficiency.

All that being said this is what I have so far

1. My gear seems fine, 400+ at level 86 thanks to some AH purchases
2. I run VuhDo as my heal mod
3. I follow the standard rotations found on many websites, earth shield, roll riptide, etc
I don't really have any problems with the standard heals
4. I use healing stream as often as I can
5. I throw down searing once in a while to help out
6. I took Astral Shift but never need to push it, I just roll a riptide on myself instead
7. I haven't really needed Spirit Link
8. I use Healing Tide and Healing Rain when the group is all 25% damaged
9. I never use Call of the Elements or Totemic Recall
10. I don't seem to have a good earth totem option other than the elemental on limited basis

So, what am I missing, what do others do?

Also I am never out of mana, haven't needed to drink anything yet
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/16/2013 06:53 AMPosted by Middling
9. I never use Call of the Elements or Totemic Recall

Use totemic recall. Learn it, love it. It is the best glyph this expac for a resto shaman.

Only other thing i would suggest is getting a tracking mod. I been using needtoknow lately since the original PA was broken and i didn't like the new version. Good for tracking all your spell cool downs.

edit: mana doesn't become an issue until about 88-89. Then it is your biggest issue until you get to a comfortable gear level.
Edited by Sadiemay on 1/16/2013 7:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
01/16/2013 06:53 AMPosted by Middling
So far I am doing fine, no deaths in several dungeon runs but I also feel I'm not being as effective as I could be.

Your list makes it seem like you are doing just fine.

Care to elaborate as to why you feel you are "not being as effective" as you could be?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Well, I'm just not using very many totems or talent abilities.

Seems like I don't quite understand this new model.

With Cata, I could just drop 4 totems and not think about it.

I just can't figure out if I should use spirit link and throw my totem into melee range or pop healing tide instead of healing rain, etc

Maybe it will make more sense when I get to level 90
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If you can't find an opportunity to use Spirit Link effectively as a raid CD, you can drop it on a tank who is spiking downward. It won't actually do much in terms of mitigation, but it'll give him much, much higher effective health for the duration of SLT, giving you time to react more efficiently.
Reply Quote
Well, I'm just not using very many totems or talent abilities.

Seems like I don't quite understand this new model.

With Cata, I could just drop 4 totems and not think about it.

I just can't figure out if I should use spirit link and throw my totem into melee range or pop healing tide instead of healing rain, etc

Maybe it will make more sense when I get to level 90

You won't really need cooldowns much in a regular 5 man. Damage is low enough that you can heal everyone up without an issue, and you only have to heal 5 people anyway. Heroic dungeons can be a bit more hectic, but it shouldn't be much of an issue either. And the 2 level 85 dungeons (Temple of the Jade Serpent and Stormstout Brewery) are very very easy. The only damage that's remotely dangerous in normal TotJS is the damage from the 2nd boss if you get Strife and Peril, and maybe on the third boss if people stand in fire.

Raids are a totally different story. Certain fight mechanics will necessitate that you pop your cooldowns (and Shaman have some great ones, with HTT, SLT, and Ascendance) because healing up 10 or 25 people during massive damage is too difficult to do with your regular spells.

So it's really just the content. When you hit 87 and start to do Mogushan Palance and Shado-Pan Temple, things get a bit tougher (Xin the Weapon Master can get pretty hectic), and when you start to do heroics at level 90, your cooldowns will be a lot more helpful.

Though it's good to get in the habit of using cooldowns now when things are easy. Use Healing Tide Totem if the whole group's taking damage for a quick breather, for example. It won't be that crucial to use, but it's good to get in the habit because otherwise, you forget to use them when they do matter.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]