error 114 displayed at log in screen

MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
01/22/2013 07:34 PMPosted by Howlz
He noted, that in another thread on the same issue that he read, that someone highlighted the fact that almost all “trace routes” (I have no idea what that is) no matter where they originated from in Australasia all lost their connection at one specific spot in the US. He considered that a rather “odd coincidence”.

Just to note here. Blizzard disable responding to Traceroute type packets past the gateway into their network for security reasons.

Essentially it's mainly to guard against ping flood attacks as well as to stop people from guessing the internal struture of their network. This is a standard thing to do in the IT industry.

Sorry, but this seems to make more sense to me. I am in Project Management, and if I was rolling out significant new changes into my customer’s network I would test it on a small group first (smallest group of customers for Blizz is Australasia). This is the logical thing to do, and in Project Management, is exactly what I would do. Rolling out significant changes to your largest group base (for Blizz that is North America) and it falling over is not an option.

This actually feels more like a Bug to me.

In software design you can never predict a bug coming up.

Back about a week or so ago a #114 error was pretty rare - it would come up in a handful of cases only. So rarely that I never really had a chance to diagnose why it was happening.

Fast forward to now and I'm seeing tons of threads on it even a sticky in the Tech Support forums on it. They don't usually do that for specific cases of errors.

And no offence intended here but surely in your reading you've coming across cases where people have been able to resolve their #114 error themselves ? That in itself suggests it's a more complex error then simply thinking it's all on Blizzard's side.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
ISP : Orcon

Okay guys I got this error as well. I've since been able to solve it though.

I'm going to share what I tried and what I experienced in case it happened to you just like me.

I started getting the #114 error immediately at login.

IE I would type in my password and would get this error immediately. Since it was coming up right after logging in and no matter if I typed a wrong password or not I assumed it had something to do with the login server.

I tried telnetting into the login server on port 119 and was able to get a successful connection. So I knew the login server wasn't done. I tried the clearing of caches/users shared folders and since I already had the .8.8 Open DNS server in my DNS servers lists I assumed I didn't have to add them. I even tried manually adding the address to the login server in my hosts file.

No dice.

Finally I did all the steps again (delete battle.net and blizzard folders from /users/shared) but this time I added the .4.4 Open DNS and made sure both of the Open DNS servers were at the top of the DNS resolving list (ie move them all to the top).

I got stuck however at the Renew DHCP License part. On my network I prefer to use "Using DHCP with Manual Address" for my configure IPv4 setting. This is so I can assign my machine an static IP address and just use DHCP for the subnet and router.

Because of this setting there was no "Renew DHCP License" button. I did however change my IP address to a different IP address. After doing that I did a final DNS cache flush.

I open wow and typed gibberish into the password box and hit enter. I choose putting in a wrong password as all I wanted to test was if the login server was responding to me.

And *huzzah* it responded with an Authenticator value box instead of the #114 dialog box. IE The login server was responding to me. I then tried my correct password with correct authenticator value and I was then able to login.

So if you are having issues getting it to work with the usual instructions that have worked for a lot of people .... trying seeing if you can get a new IP address and see if that fixes it. Do the other steps first of course :)
Reply Quote
66 Worgen Hunter
@ Bluespacecow. Not offended at all mate, and I agree, I almost certainly think its a bug.

I am not at all thinking that maintaining this complex MMO is as simply as playing with Lego blocks. Bugs/glitches happen all the time.

But, it has been Blizzard that has been guilty of the finger pointing not me. They are the ones that are blaming virtually the entire Oceanic region's ISPs for 'doing something' that has caused the 114 issue

I am in Wellington NZ, and my ISP is TelstraClear (now Vodafone). My old guild mate is a tech there. They have discussed it at their offices and simply cannot see how the 114 issue could have started from 'something' the ISP had done on their network - especially considering that we are talking about multiple ISPs in multiple countries. Logs of their maintenance program even backs that up. Guild mates in Australia are getting pretty much the same response from their ISP over there too

I agree with you, it’s almost certainly a bug - but in Blizzard's network. A glitch in maintenance, or the implementation of 'future proofing' work for upcoming changes.

As for the fixing it myself from the ‘fixes’ posted - that have mostly come from Blizzard's customers, not Blizzard themselves - that is not my job. I have paid Blizzard to get a copy of the game, and I pay a monthly sum to play it. Lets not get confused here – we are not talking about peoples computers falling apart (which absolutely would be my problem to fix) – we are talking about computers that were ALREADY playing the game perfectly fine one minute, then not the next. As a customer I should not also have to fix their bugs. I do not pay good money at a restaurant and expect to have to cook my own food and then wash my dishes after.

Note, that these are not fixes and are often referred to even by Blizzard as “work-a-rounds” in post full of “this MAY help” or “that MAY help” . This tells me that Blizzard is not exactly sure what the bug is. I’m certain if they knew we would have had the Emergency Maintenance window up at log in, stating the bug and the fix that will happen long ago.

Its not a biggie for me. Its my kids that like to play WoW. We are a house full of gamers that have thoroughly enjoyed playing WoW as a family. We have all had the game since the Classic WoW days, and have played the game constantly right up to about a year ago when we all went on a ‘WoW break’ and played some other games (TERA, Guild Wars 2, SWTOR, STO to name a few). About a month or so ago we got the WoW bug (pardon the pun) again……..only to get hit with this almost instantly.

There are plenty of other games out there to play. We will probably give it another week to see if the 114 issue will be resolved, if not, its insane to continue to pay subs for a game that half the family can not play, and all of us will most likely can our accounts
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I had this problem after downloading the game client.

I tried to login from the launcher and i got 114 error. I tried loading wow without the launcher through the X64 release wow login and got the same issue. After this i then tried the X86 release (without the launcher) and was able to login successfully.

I noticed that the launcher was loading the wow login through the x64 release and after whatever i tried i would get the error. I have no problems using the x86 which is found in your wow folder.

To check if its x64 or x86 when on login screen look at the bottom left hand corner and it will tell you.

**Note I did not do any DNS cache flushing, changing IP ports etc before i tried the x86 release**
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I just added another World of Warcraft account to my Battle.net account and then I went to go log in and I typed in my password it then went to the Authenticator screen, I typed in my Authentication code and that is when I got the #114, However an hour ago I was able to log in with no issues.

I did the DNS Cache folder delete, I did the DNS Flush, after that didn't work I went ahead and did the Ip release/renew proceedure and still got nothing. So now I am at a road block and have no idea why it won't let me log in. I went ahead and tried to log into Diablo 3 but with a different battle.net account and it was able to log in with no issues.

Any ideas?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
01/27/2013 04:30 PMPosted by Lobutimi
I just added another World of Warcraft account to my Battle.net account and then I went to go log in and I typed in my password it then went to the Authenticator screen, I typed in my Authentication code and that is when I got the #114, However an hour ago I was able to log in with no issues.

Yeah that's really odd.

When I was getting the error it was doing it right after typing in the password. It asking for the Authenticator code means the login server once to talk to you. Then it's going all "talk to the hand" and ignoring you ?

I would try taking the authenticator off the immediately adding it back on. Also under security preferences toggle the option to require an authenticator code on then off

01/27/2013 04:30 PMPosted by Lobutimi
I did the DNS Cache folder delete, I did the DNS Flush, after that didn't work I went ahead and did the Ip release/renew proceedure and still got nothing. So now I am at a road block and have no idea why it won't let me log in. I went ahead and tried to log into Diablo 3 but with a different battle.net account and it was able to log in with no issues.

In Diablo 3 switch your playing region to what's it set to to some other region then back to the one you were on.

EG if the game region says America go to Asia or Europe then back to America.
Reply Quote
4 Night Elf Hunter
Hi Rickee, can you send me a link to the x86 launcher i'd like to give it a try.
many thanks M
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I am at wits end with this error 114
I no for a fact it's not my ISP because I can log into my account
On my brothers pc which is on same network
U have uninstalled reinstalled done all work around a and such
To no avail I even got a guildie to open a ticket 2 days ago still no reply yet
If in fact it is a bug why can I log in on my brothers pc but not mine
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Hi all.. Apple Certified Engineer here. There are two separate issues that I have seen which can prompt the Error #114; which is a failure to launch the authentication module.

1. DNS - As above, follow the steps. If this fails...

2. Java - The WoW authentication module requires Java to function properly. Newer versions of the Mac OS do not ship with Java and as of Oct 16, 2012; Apple have been busily stripping Java from the OS.

See: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572

If you would like to re-enable Java SE 6, follow Apple's tech note here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559

Alternately, you can download Java from Oracle or force to the computer to go looking for Java, which is what I did. I launched Minecraft to prompt the Java download.

I was having this issue after rebuilding my MBP and updating to Mountain Lion (hence no Java), after installing Java SE 6 from Apple Software Updates, it now works fine.

I hope this helps.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hi Rickee, can you send me a link to the x86 launcher i'd like to give it a try.
many thanks M

It's in the application folder of wow you have the launcher icon, wow-64 and another icon with just plain wow.

Use the plain wow icon and thats the x86 release.

Im not sure if you guys have it or not but this is whats in my wow application folder.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
So it looks like there are 2 causes of the error 114:

• Using the 64-bit client (Under Investigation). Workaround: Use the 32-bit client.
    1. Launch the World of Warcraft Launcher.
    2. Select Options > Game Preferences
    3. Check the box Launch 32-bit client.
  • DNS issue for South East Asia and select few ISPs (This seems to be an ISP issue for this region). Workaround: User an alternative DNS system, such as Google's Public DNS.

Java is not used or required for the authentication module.
Edited by Machkhan on 1/30/2013 9:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
When I launch the World of Warcraft Launcher I have no options tab or button to hit in order to launch the 32-bit client. Suggestions?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
The Option appears in the system menu bar, which is on top of your main display, not within the launcher itself.
Edited by Machkhan on 1/30/2013 9:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well I have tried all the suggestions, including launching the 32-bit client, and I still get the same error.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Can you elaborate on what 'all suggestions' include? This way we can keep looking into this issue.
Edited by Machkhan on 1/30/2013 10:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have changed the DNS settings, deleted the Cache folders, WTF folders, I have flushed the DNS settings, renewed the DHCP Lease, and launched using 32-bit client...I think that's all.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Did deleting the cache include the Battle.net cache folder?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yes
Reply Quote
same problem on mac 15 inch, error 114. I don't want to change dns to google for fear of loosing my internet.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Hunter
Same problem, new 27" iMac. Can I get a refund for game time? One night off from work and the kids... and I have to sit here reading forums trying to get this game to work. Bad form.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]