Haste

90 Tauren Paladin
I have recently noticed that my dps if lower than the dps of other paladins around my ilvl. After doing some research i noticed that the only difference between me and other ret paladins is that they have up to 6-8% more haste than i do. There is no question that this is the cause of my lack in dps. I was hoping a ret pally who knows what he or she is talking about could tell me how i could boost my haste another 6%. Thanks :D
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Soooo you're saying you DIDN'T know that haste was one of the best stats for ret pallies? 7.5 hit/expertise>strength>haste>mastery...

icyveins stat priority for ret pallies:

The stat priority for Retribution Paladins is:

Hit Rating (until the 7.5% hit cap);
Strength;
Expertise Rating (until the 7.5% expertise cap);
Haste Rating;
Mastery Rating;
Critical Strike Rating.

noxxic.com stat priority for ret pallies:

Strength > Melee Hit (7.5%) > Expertise (7.5%) > Haste > Mastery > Crit
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
01/20/2013 06:45 PMPosted by Stompingcow
I was hoping a ret pally who knows what he or she is talking about could tell me how i could boost my haste another 6%.

The obvious answer is go reforge your gear is it not? 0.o
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
http://www.icy-veins.com/retribution-paladin-wow-pve-dps-guide
http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/paladin/retribution

Edit: your question isn't really "how to get more haste" but rather "how do I play my class". Those websites will help you.
Edited by Mahvet on 1/20/2013 7:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Mahvet, you couldn't simply have edited all of that into one post...Why?

The most obvious answer is your gemming, OP; you're still gemming a strength bias where you should likely be gemming a haste bias. You're reforging seems like it may be off, too; get ReforgeLite and use SimCraft to find your personal stat weights. Take the weights fro SimC, plug them into RfL, click a couple of buttons, and you should be perfectly forged.

Only other likely conclusion is poor handling of your rotation, if fixing your gear doesn't solve the discrepancy.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Reforge, reg-gem and download an addon called spellflash from curse client. Besides that, study those websites.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Frankly, I wouldn't trust either of those sites; neither really gives reasoning as to why they recommend the things that they do. Elitist Jerks' Ret thread would be a far better resource with which to familiarize yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Lol don't listen to that. Both those sights AND elitiest jerks all use simcraft(stated on both websites btw). The only difference is that elitist jerks is full of pompous.... well literally elitists. But not in the good sense of the word.

from the noxxic website:
"DPS values are calculated using SimulationCraft 510-9 with the Noxxic recommended talents and rotations. All simulations are conducted using ilvl 496 gear with all raid buffs and debuffs.

These results are updated with each SimulationCraft release. Please note that these numbers reflect theoretical maximum DPS and not the DPS you are likely to see in-game. Player skill, gear, latency, and many other factors may change these estimates, but they are still useful in evaluating DPS across specs and classes."

And anyone who thinks that it makes that much of a difference is also an elitist... not in the good sense of the word either.
Edited by Mahvet on 1/20/2013 9:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
And you fail to see the point. Blindly following one websites recommendations without knowing why is folly; you're just setting yourself up for failure. The "standard" build is only good on certain fights - but which, and why? The stat weights are also misleading, because you're not actually supposed to blindly gem haste; there are certain criteria that must be met first, and the completion of those criteria can only be determined by simming one's self.

If you're just going to follow a blanket prescription for your spec without knowing the reasoning behind it, you're ignorant and foolish.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/20/2013 09:28 PMPosted by Mahvet
The only difference is that elitist jerks is full of pompous.... well literally elitists.

The elitist jerks community is made up of some of the nicest people in the game, as far as my experience goes.

OP, haste is better than mastery/crit because it reduces the GCD on your HP generating spells, resulting in more TV and more Inq. which reuslts more damge.

01/20/2013 09:08 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
Frankly, I wouldn't trust either of those sites; neither really gives reasoning as to why they recommend the things that they do. Elitist Jerks' Ret thread would be a far better resource with which to familiarize yourself.

Good man. I'm proud of you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
go to wow-heroes.com and inspect the highest rated ret pally on a server and see what he gems,enchants and reforges.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
01/20/2013 09:37 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
And you fail to see the point. Blindly following one websites recommendations without knowing why is folly; you're just setting yourself up for failure. The "standard" build is only good on certain fights

Blindly? I know I've never once had to post on the forums or trade asking for help with info about my class, and I have no problem topping dps in the majority of groups I join on any number of my toons. So to say that I blindly follow is inaccurate. Honestly it sounds to me as if you are blindly following. Can you honestly give a good reason as to why you prefer elitist jerks? Or could it be that the only reason you do so is because latching onto a sight just because it is the oldest and most commonly recommended source comforts you?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I've already delineated my reasons for preferring EJ to Noxxic or Icy-Veins - neither of the latter two provide explanations and reasoning for their cookie-cutter offerings, they don't go into detail about why their stat priorities are setup as they are...They're basically just EJ parrots without the background information to back up their reports. From what I've seen of Noxx/IV, they don't even recommend switching talents, ever, even though there are several fights this tier that demand different of our talents to maximize our efficiency.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I used to use noxxic but there are times where it gave inaccurate info.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Anywho. Regardless of the argument that this post turned into. OP it's painfully obvious that some time spent studying your class/spec on ANY website is going to benefit you greatly. OBVIOUSLY cross-referencing all the sites mentioned by everyone who posted on this thread is the way to master any class. Good luck with the improvements.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
^ On that I feel I can agree.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Stompingcow, although more haste may be helpful, it's also worth pointing out that other Paladins around your ilvl quite possibly have the t14 4pc set bonus, and may have better trinkets (Vortex and Wok are inferior to Relic of Xuen and Lei Shen's Final Orders, despite their higher item levels).

Haste IS our best secondary stat, but a few percent haste isn't going to make more than a few percent difference in DPS. If you're looking at a larger gap than that, the most likely explanation is that you have room to improve as a player. In that case, your best course of action is research and practice.

Also, I simmed your armory profile, and it appears that haste gemming is very slightly favorable. I do mean "very slightly"; the margin by which haste is favorable is smaller than the margin of error on stat weights, even at 50k iterations. So even if you switch to haste gemming, you're going to see a very marginal DPS increase from it, at best.
Edited by Ravicana on 1/21/2013 3:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
01/20/2013 09:47 PMPosted by Tuslaw
go to wow-heroes.com and inspect the highest rated ret pally on a server and see what he gems,enchants and reforges.

That's not really good advice either. High-end players may change their gear strategy to strange things to test them out, and especially this late in the tier it's very likely that you'll see the top players doing weird things for fun now that content has been on farm for so long.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Also, things that work well at the high end are not necessarily good ideas below there.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well, op, I put you through wowreforge.com and it has a few suggestions on how you can get quite a bit more haste through reforging. Also, for your blue gem slots don't use Etched (strength/haste) use Lightning (haste/hit). You should also use the cloak enchant that gives you hit not crit. This will free up more hit you can reforge to haste.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]