The 5.2 blog is tricking most people

90 Blood Elf Paladin

Nope only need 27k earned for the season to buy the elite gear, regular is available right away. The OP is wrong in saying you need 54k for both sets.

The elite gear costs conquest. Are you thinking you can buy elite for free or something?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
01/21/2013 10:46 PMPosted by Èverfrost
Nope only need 27k earned for the season to buy the elite gear, regular is available right away. The OP is wrong in saying you need 54k for both sets.

you need to re-read blizzards more recent comments and additions to the new system.

once you reach 27000 cp (and have bought the normal CP gear available) you can now begin to buy the elite set which also costs CP. it is no longer cosmetic it is higher ilvl armour set (not just the weapon)

so yes on reaching 27k cp you then and only then can start to buy the higher level elite set. as in another 27k CP to get the elite set.
=50k+ cp
it is no longer a cosmetic trade in

and @ Clay... what is this rating inflation thing you are talking about?

as far as i know the only thing in place is to help late comers (alts) and its only a tiny amount of catchup that it grants.
if the player hasn't done any pvp until 5 weeks into the season they get a 1 off 5k cp cap increase (so 5k free cp) at 10 weeks its 10k.
you only get this if you haven't pvpd for those 5-10 weeks. and its a 1 off. once you earn that free catchup your cap is back to normal. if you have been pvping you get nothing because you will already be miles ahead.
even someone only capping 1800 cap in arena will have earned 18000 cp by week 10. a free 10k is only like a 60% catchup. they will still be behind by a long long way.
Edited by Eighteen on 1/22/2013 2:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Death Knight
Hope the enchants & gems are roll over. Cause that's gunna be expensive as all hell.
Reply Quote
94 Tauren Druid
@Eighteen
open blog post -> search inflation

From the blog post.

Team Rating Inflation
As we’ve mentioned previously, we want to see the ladder rankings decided toward the end of a season, and not a foregone conclusion dictated by what happens at the start. As discussed in the PvP in Mists of Pandaria Dev Watercooler, as of patch 5.2 Team Rating will gradually increase as players participate in PvP over the course of the season. We expect the new system to help ensure that the ladder remains active at all ratings and that the competition stays fierce from start to finish.

And then in the Dev Watercooler:

We believe this adjustment to the Team Rating formula will have a similar benefit to the “rating decay” that some of you have been asking for, but will feel more positive – rather than feeling like you must keep running just to stay in place (i.e. keep your current score), players that continue participating will be rewarded with higher Team Ratings. As a season wears on, this should also make upper brackets more active as well.

Of course they haven't released anything specific... but with the top teams being 2200-2400 right now, there's definitely room to inflate the ratings by a few hundred points.

I would expect your rating to inflate about 400 points from the beginning to the end of the season, if you've played the entire time. With that type of inflation, you could see a 600 point or so increase to your conquest cap as the season progresses.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Death Knight
Onwards, to the 3.1k rated teams!
Reply Quote
83 Human Warrior
this game is pushing people to quit arena and focus on RBGs but most of us hate rbgs. They seem to not see that. We want to arena, but they see arena as a waste of money because it demands more effort of them to fix the balance issues. where in a RBG they are not as signficant.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
@Eighteen
open blog post -> search inflation

From the blog post.

Team Rating Inflation
As we’ve mentioned previously, we want to see the ladder rankings decided toward the end of a season, and not a foregone conclusion dictated by what happens at the start. As discussed in the PvP in Mists of Pandaria Dev Watercooler, as of patch 5.2 Team Rating will gradually increase as players participate in PvP over the course of the season. We expect the new system to help ensure that the ladder remains active at all ratings and that the competition stays fierce from start to finish.

And then in the Dev Watercooler:

We believe this adjustment to the Team Rating formula will have a similar benefit to the “rating decay” that some of you have been asking for, but will feel more positive – rather than feeling like you must keep running just to stay in place (i.e. keep your current score), players that continue participating will be rewarded with higher Team Ratings. As a season wears on, this should also make upper brackets more active as well.

Of course they haven't released anything specific... but with the top teams being 2200-2400 right now, there's definitely room to inflate the ratings by a few hundred points.

I would expect your rating to inflate about 400 points from the beginning to the end of the season, if you've played the entire time. With that type of inflation, you could see a 600 point or so increase to your conquest cap as the season progresses.

interesting. thnx :)

will make some interesting teams if the top players play all season long 3k+ ;O
Edited by Eighteen on 1/22/2013 2:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My main point here is that rating still provides a gear advantage that will likely last the entire season. That concept is the core problem with the PvP reward system.

I think people were under the impression that that concept was finally going away in 5.2 because of the removal of rating requirements.

Rating should only be providing cosmetic differences not an ilvl advantage for an entire season.
Edited by Kaeloth on 1/22/2013 5:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
So my question is, is Elite gear going to be stronger than regular? Currently only the weapon is stronger currently..... But if the Elite gear turns out to be stronger, it would be an even less alt-friendly season and impossible to catch up ever in gear, regardless of the "1k extra for every week missed".
Edited by Christhemity on 1/22/2013 7:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I still think it's going to be wayyyy easier to gear up alts. Also with dreadful being craftable you'll be able to start right at 90 with low end pvp gear. You'll be able to COMPETE no matter what, and you won't get AS stomped imo. We'll see, these changes have the potential to be really great. Looking forward to this season for sure.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/22/2013 06:59 AMPosted by Christhemity
So my question is, is Elite gear going to be stronger than regular? Currently only the weapon is stronger currently..... But if the Elite gear turns out to be stronger, it would be an even less alt-friendly season and impossible to catch up ever in gear, regardless of the "1k extra for every week missed".

Yes the new Elite armor will be higher ilvl instead of just a different skin like it is currently.

So instead if facing someone with a T2 weapon, you'll be facing players who will have a full elite armor set while most will never earn enough conquest to buy a full elite set.
Reply Quote
94 Tauren Druid

Yes the new Elite armor will be higher ilvl instead of just a different skin like it is currently.

So instead if facing someone with a T2 weapon, you'll be facing players who will have a full elite armor set while most will never earn enough conquest to buy a full elite set.

It's important to keep in mind not just that it's "better," but also "by how much."
At the start of the season, Conquest gear will be 12-13 ilvls ahead of honor gear.
At the end of the season, Conquest gear will be 12-13 ilvls ahead of honor gear.
You should *rarely* be competing against a larger ilvl gap.

Compared with what we have now: 25-33

I think it's going to be a dramatic improvement.
Edited by Clay on 1/22/2013 1:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
into believing PvP will suddenly be about skill instead of gear

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6297383927?page=21#419

The new Elite armor will no longer be just a cosmetic difference. It will also be higher ilvl.

So what they have done is removed the rating requirements but doubled the number of conquest points it's going to take to get a full elite set. It will probably take 54,000 CP. That's 30 weeks at 1800/week.

So unless the seasons are going to be 8 months or longer so everyone can get a full elite set, the gear disparity will remain.

Edited link so it takes you directly to the blue response that says the Elite armor will be higher ilvl

The iLvL difference between elite and malevolent is the same between dreadful and malevolent... So there is less of a gear gap either way. Besides, if you're that late to the season the new "catch-up" system will let you push towards elite/conquest gear quickly to let you be almost "on par" with elite geared people.

IMO 5.2 is the greatest patch I've ever seen on this game, people just need to understand it more instead of condemning it..
Edited by Wolfe on 1/22/2013 1:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
well damn
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
01/22/2013 01:09 AMPosted by Eighteen

you need to re-read blizzards more recent comments and additions to the new system.

once you reach 27000 cp (and have bought the normal CP gear available) you can now begin to buy the elite set which also costs CP. it is no longer cosmetic it is higher ilvl armour set (not just the weapon)

so yes on reaching 27k cp you then and only then can start to buy the higher level elite set. as in another 27k CP to get the elite set.
=50k+ cp
it is no longer a cosmetic trade in

and @ Clay... what is this rating inflation thing you are talking about?

as far as i know the only thing in place is to help late comers (alts) and its only a tiny amount of catchup that it grants.
if the player hasn't done any pvp until 5 weeks into the season they get a 1 off 5k cp cap increase (so 5k free cp) at 10 weeks its 10k.
you only get this if you haven't pvpd for those 5-10 weeks. and its a 1 off. once you earn that free catchup your cap is back to normal. if you have been pvping you get nothing because you will already be miles ahead.
even someone only capping 1800 cap in arena will have earned 18000 cp by week 10. a free 10k is only like a 60% catchup. they will still be behind by a long long way.

The ilvl difference from Tyrannical to Elite is so miniscule that while it will be noticeable, it will hardly be game breaking. Please re-read the article on the home page.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

It's important to keep in mind not just that it's "better," but also "by how much."
At the start of the season, Conquest gear will be 12-13 ilvls ahead of honor gear.
At the end of the season, Conquest gear will be 12-13 ilvls ahead of honor gear.
You should *rarely* be competing against a larger ilvl gap.

Compared with what we have now: 25-33

You forget about elite?

In terms of relative power, we’re tuning the item levels, PvP Power, and Resilience on the new set of PvP items so that the difference between Malevolent and Elite Tyrannical Gladiator’s gear is similar to the relationship between this season’s Dreadful and Malevolent Gladiator’s gear.

Still sounds like the same gap. The only difference is another step in between.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
01/22/2013 05:30 AMPosted by Kaeloth
Rating should only be providing cosmetic differences not an ilvl advantage for an entire season.

It won't, that is the point. The only difference between a gladiator and a casual pvper in 5.2, is the gladiator will get his t2 gear sooner. And during the time in which he is fully t2, and those with lesser ratings are still working on t2, he will have an advantage. But it is not season long. It is a temporary advantage only till folks have enough time to catch up in conquest points, then everyone will be t2, and the only difference will be the gladiator title.

And honestly I'm ok with that. People who have earned high ratings should get SOMETHING for their efforts, now a whole new tier of gear that only they can access is too much, but getting access to that new tier a bit sooner than lower rated players, I think is a nice solution.
Edited by Rambø on 1/22/2013 1:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
88 Goblin Warlock
they said the elite 'gear' is only a few ilevel increase (prob same gap from normal to upgraded in current 5.1) , if you are losing just to blame a few ilevel difference than most likely it is your own l2p issue
Reply Quote
65 Undead Mage
KIR
Just need to make point caps even all teh way across IMO.

2v2/3v3/5v5/RBG whatever, all increase point cap and allow gains

Play how you want

I hate having RBGs shoved down my throat, I will play them when it is fun, and when the right people are on. Cramming it down my throat just makes me mad.

Increase teh point gain from ALL arena brackets as well.

Rewards for gaining high rank? Cosmetic awesomeness. Cool graphics on armor, and effects, and titles, and mounts, etc. That is what you can strive for.

Real competitors play for the game... not the stuff.
Reply Quote
68 Human Warlock
Why can't arenas just have completely balanced gear? I just want to play the game, for fun, and see my skill progression through rating. I don't want to have to blame my losses on the opponent having better gear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]