Monk: MW Spells

90 Pandaren Monk
So this is mostly a question mostly for monks, so forgive me if this isn't the best place to post. But I figured it was a healer post as well. I'm curious as a mistweaver what is our primary healing spells when using them in a boss fight. I'm talking mostly what I would expect to be listed as my top spells when looking at a healing meters that show overall healing. Now I know that healing meters are not the best measure of skill and also do not account for overhealing, but its the only way I can think that would show overall healing.

I"m trying to use the top healing of spells to measure if I"m being as effiecnet at healing in MW as I can be. Currantly my top sells have been ReM and soothing mist with everything else dropping off low. Now my experiance only turely encompasses LFR, which isn't the best measure either.

I'm just wondering what spells should be top for healing from MW and if I'm not doing enough of something like ReM is my top spell for heals. I do go in and out of melee and stand at range to heal on various fights. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
You seem to be on the right track, Renewing Mists and Uplift should usually be your top 2 heals.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7592641510
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
1) Uplift/ReM
2) ReM/Uplift
3) Emininence

<3 u
Reply Quote
12 Pandaren Shaman
I feel like I am doing something terribly wrong. I have a monk that I like to run LFRs with to practice healing, and I use renewing mists all the time, but I am not sure how other monks are getting so much mileage out of uplifts.

Usually my top three heals are a combination of chi wave, renewing, eminence/soothing heals, with uplift being used maybe a dozen times per fight. In fact now that I think about it, I use all of my heals pretty often, except for uplift. It just sort of feels like I have more effective things to spend my chi on? Can someone explain to me what makes uplift so good, and how I could be using it better?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
01/22/2013 01:55 PMPosted by Corbomite
Usually my top three heals are a combination of chi wave, renewing, eminence/soothing heals, with uplift being used maybe a dozen times per fight. In fact now that I think about it, I use all of my heals pretty often, except for uplift.

I believe the idea is that since Chi Wave heals only four times, Uplift is more powerful if Renewing Mist is on more than that many people. And RM goes on three people per cast, so it's almost immediately better all the time.

Unless you also like causing damage.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
01/22/2013 04:09 PMPosted by Ehcks
Usually my top three heals are a combination of chi wave, renewing, eminence/soothing heals, with uplift being used maybe a dozen times per fight. In fact now that I think about it, I use all of my heals pretty often, except for uplift.

I believe the idea is that since Chi Wave heals only four times, Uplift is more powerful if Renewing Mist is on more than that many people. And RM goes on three people per cast, so it's almost immediately better all the time.

Unless you also like causing damage.

Chi wave heals for slightly more than uplift on a per-heal basis and is a smart heal which makes the comparison somewhat less clear cut than "how many targets have rm on them". Just because rm is on 5 or 6 targets doesn't mean it is necessarily a better choice than chi wave at that point in time.

To answer the OP's question, it depends a lot on what sort of content you are doing, your gear, if there are healing assignments, etc. One pretty common theme is that renewing mist is going to be in the top 3, usually top 2. Beyond that I have had encounters with enveloping, soothing, eminence, chi wave, chi burst, chi torpedo, and uplift showing in the top 3.
Reply Quote
12 Pandaren Shaman
Ah, thanks for the responses. I think I read somewhere that in Patch 5.2 the chi cost of Chi Wave/Burst was being removed, and the cooldowns/healing increased? I suppose that would free up some chi for more frequent use of uplift/thunderfocus/enveloping.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I also like Chi Wave for tank healing, more so that Enveloping most of the time. Chi Wave will bounce elsewhere if the tank doesn't need it, while a decent amount of Enveloping usually ends up being overhealing for me (I am not very progressed either atm, but I do keep track of fight mechanic and strats just in case). I also wouldn't recommend using Surging ever, a couple of Healing Spheres is far more sustainable for single target stuff. I don't have it on my bar anymore.

Some of this might change in 5.2, especially regarding the Tier 30 talents (Chi Wave's CD is almost doubled).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Thanks for the responses guys. It makes me feel a better knowing that having things other than uplift in my top three. And knowing ReM is so high doesn't bother me, I would have figured it was high but was unsure if that was normal.

I still find myself not using uplift as much as I would like. More often I was firing off a chi wave and using the two chi for keeping SZ up while standing in melee when my guild ran MV last night. I bet that will change when 5.2 drops and I don't have to worry about choosing between chi wave and uplift as often. I find I struggle with the timing of using TFT to keep ReM up when i know large raid damage is coming.

Any advice to give myself more of a heads up on when raid damage might be coming? FYI I do use DBM but find that I don't watch the counters as well as I would like to see it coming.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
You are also short of your extra tick of ReM haste breakpoint. While you a bit undergeared its still a big healing increase. You need to be at 3145 haste, but make sure you reforge to it in Tiger Stance.

Also, the biggest thing to do is be sure to be blanketing your ReM and be using TFT when you have around ~6 or 7 ReM's out. You wont get optimal healing from uplift unless you have it on a decent amount of targets therefore you must be preemptively blanketing before the big raid damage. (also, knowing when big raid damage is coming out is just knowing the fights, or knowing what boss abilities do large amounts of raid damage and watching for them to be announced)
Edited by Echoics on 1/23/2013 4:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
01/23/2013 04:38 PMPosted by Echoics
You are also short of your extra tick of ReM haste breakpoint. While you a bit undergeared its still a big healing increase. You need to be at 3145 haste, but make sure you reforge to it in Tiger Stance.

Yeah, I do admit I'm still fairly undergeared. You mentioned reforging in Tiger Stance. What is the reasoning for this?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
01/23/2013 04:51 PMPosted by Renshei

Yeah, I do admit I'm still fairly undergeared. You mentioned reforging in Tiger Stance. What is the reasoning for this?

haste bonus you get in healing stance throws things off
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
The problem that I seem to be having is even with my gear, which I know isnt the best but its pretty good I am having low hps meter readings. I know those meters shouldnt be depended on, because they are basically nothing but arguments for a pissing contest.
I have been swapping back and forth between Chi Burst and the Zen Sphere and Chi Wave. To me, the Chi Burst seems to do better healing because it heals whoever it hits in the path it travels. It does a nice amount of healing as well.
Can someone look over my reforges and see if there is anything that sticks out that would give a low hps reading? I average around 40k,with some boss fights only doing around 25k but i am healing my !@# off.
I keep up RM as much as possible, always focus channeled heal on tanks or sometimes i will jump it around to whoever is taking alot of dmg at the time. Something else, I have had other monks tell me that the Spinning heal isnt worth using but to me its a nice top off heal. Its really good for use when everyone is standing relatively close to each other. I can get everyone topped off this way.
Just wish that I could figure out what I am doing wrong. I know you arent supposed to rely on those meters but I cant help but watch the durn thing.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
The problem that I seem to be having is even with my gear, which I know isnt the best but its pretty good I am having low hps meter readings. I know those meters shouldnt be depended on, because they are basically nothing but arguments for a pissing contest.

<snip>

Just wish that I could figure out what I am doing wrong. I know you arent supposed to rely on those meters but I cant help but watch the durn thing.

There could be any number of reasons for you seeing lower numbers than you would like.

1) You are doing lfrs, the amount of damge in lfr is usually dramatically lower than normal modes-less damage means less healing
2) Particularly in low damage scenarios, the healing composition can significantly impact your effective healing. A couple good discs actually trying can turn lfr into overheal central for all the other healers, especially if the tanks/dps are also playing well.
3) on reforges: you have a couple pieces you could reforge out of mastery, also 4990 haste (in tiger stance) looks odd to me-is that the 11th rm tick without the 5% spell haste buff? (I have 3/4 raid members that bring the buff in my 10 man depending on if we are 2 or 3 healing so I don't even know the break points without it).
4) Rushing jade wind is the worst t90 talent from a healing perspective. In situations where it might be useful you re usually better off using the 2 chi on a chi burst or uplift instead.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Doesn't the 3145 haste break point assume the 5% haste buff? We don't have that available in my 10 mans. Often makes hitting haste break points difficult, though now that I think about it, should still be achievable in LFR.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Well I looked up on different sites and I found all kinds of different numbers for the haste breakpoint.
I found one that said 3145 and then another that said 4729 I think?
I didnt realize that I was over that much. I dont like Rushing Jade Wind either, but not sure what else would be good there. Chi Roll maybe? The tiger isnt going to help healing wise. Monks kinda got shafted healing wise on their 90 talent point.
Yeah I dont raid guild wise, well not at the moment anyways so I am just basing it on the damage taken in LFR. I dont use the Wind alot, just to basically give me another Mana Tea sometimes. I will reforge my gear differently, and try to stop worrying so much about meters, but sometimes its nice to see those high numbers. I see priests, im guessing holy priests with INSANE numbers like upwards of 70k hps.
My husband can pull around 55-60k, but he doesnt get to raid much anymore.
Thanks for any help, i appreciate it.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Well I looked up on different sites and I found all kinds of different numbers for the haste breakpoint.
I found one that said 3145 and then another that said 4729 I think?
I didnt realize that I was over that much. I dont like Rushing Jade Wind either, but not sure what else would be good there. Chi Roll maybe? The tiger isnt going to help healing wise. Monks kinda got shafted healing wise on their 90 talent point.
Yeah I dont raid guild wise, well not at the moment anyways so I am just basing it on the damage taken in LFR. I dont use the Wind alot, just to basically give me another Mana Tea sometimes. I will reforge my gear differently, and try to stop worrying so much about meters, but sometimes its nice to see those high numbers. I see priests, im guessing holy priests with INSANE numbers like upwards of 70k hps.
My husband can pull around 55-60k, but he doesnt get to raid much anymore.
Thanks for any help, i appreciate it.

3145 is the break point if you have the +5% spell haste buff, 4729 looks right if you don't have the +5% buff but like I said, I always have it so I'm not entirely sure.

Xuen is actually a really good burst-ish healing cooldown because all of his damage procs eminence heals. The extra damage never hurts either.

In general, if you are seeing someone in the 70k+ range in lfr it is a disc priest just pre-shielding nearly all of the limited damage being done. No one else can keep up with that atm so just shrug it off. Their nerfhammering is coming...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]