New Troll Models?!

90 Troll Shaman
Took a hop over to MMOchampion this morning and saw some screenies of the newest ptr. It looks like we might be getting a teaser as to what the new troll models will look like. I have to say, while I like the long arms of the current model, the new model looks completely BA. For now the models displayed look to have the BE standing model and I think I saw a NE sitting model but the skin is just beautiful imo. I really hope to see something like these new Zandalari troll skins on my current back hunching skeleton! If this is the quality of the new models, I can not wait!

If you want to check them out, there is a gallery here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/#image=iottk_tts:1
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
You're pretty much the last person to see this. We've had many many discussions on the subject.

The same month humans and orcs were revealed to be in the process of being updated, Dave Kosak told the community that Zandalari Trolls and Vol'jin were both getting brand new models for the 5.2 raid patch. These are all brand new models using troll, night elf, and orc skeletons for animation rigs. They have a few new animations as well.

A skin is an image file only, like a jpg or a bitmap. A model is an actual rendered 3 dimensional shape sculpted from polygons.

In the last few weeks a Blue has said these are in no way indicative of the new player models, beyond the obvious matter of them being trolls of course.

These are nothing but high quality models on the old skeletons, basically what new player models would have looked like if they happened in WOTLK.

We now know Blizzard is going all out for the new player models, updating all of their animations and giving them facial expressions so they look on par with the Pandaren and Goblins and Worgen in terms of animation quality.
Edited by Elrith on 1/19/2013 6:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
To clarify what Elrith said, they are not new models. They are the same models with new paint jobs.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
01/19/2013 07:02 AMPosted by Mushimushi
To clarify what Elrith said, they are not new models. They are the same models with new paint jobs.

That's not what I said, actually. They are brand new models. Paint is 2 dimensional. These are totally brand new models using the same rigs/skeletons and new skins.

A skin is a 2D image file, like a jpg. It's not a shape made of polygons.
Edited by Elrith on 1/19/2013 7:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Fair enough. It's still not a new model, though. A new model would mean new. This is just the trolls with a new paint job.

Semantics between what you said and what I'm saying.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
I love the muscles on the male trolls.

I've always been jealous of the physique of the Amani trolls (outside of Zul'Aman). They are buff yet athletic (the Amani trolls inside ZA for whatever reason have orc bodies).

Jezpaku is so skinny. =(
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
Fair enough. It's still not a new model, though. A new model would mean new. This is just the trolls with a new paint job.

Semantics between what you said and what I'm saying.

No, this issue is important and people commonly mess it up.

Barely anything in this game that is new has a brand new skeleton going back to 2004 other than some of the new player races. If you want to make up what the word model means with your own private definition, I guess that's your prerogative.

These are brand new models. The only thing not new is a very basic stick figure the model is given so it can have weight and movement. Basically their spinal chord. Nothing has been reused that you can see with your naked eye. The digital flesh has been sculpted from scratch. Only the wires they used for a frame for reused. Imagine a stick figure made out of wire, with only one single wire for every part. You are claiming entire shapes are wires.

You are making a semantic debate, I am more concerned with what words actually mean.
They could have just painted brand new skin colors and markings, but they sculpted all new muscles and faces and it's wrong to act like these are repaints, a term used in the action figure collector community, when if they were action figures they would be brand new customized figures using clay on top of older sanded down figures, not repaints.
Edited by Elrith on 1/19/2013 7:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I gotta say, these new Trolls have really grown on me.

Though their posture took some time getting used to.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
I gotta say, these new Trolls have really grown on me.

Though their posture took some time getting used to.

The ironic thing is that some people have implied Blizzard is lazy for using a night elf skeleton to sculpt the new Zandalari model over as if Blizzard using the already existing troll skeleton would not have been lazy. It sounds nonsensical but the argument has been posited here.
Reply Quote
The new troll lady boss is so gorgeous.

I wanna look like her.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
01/19/2013 07:42 AMPosted by Tahupotiki
I wanna look like her.

I think Tahupotiki is super cute. :)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The skin used for the Z. Trolls looks amazing. I realize they are sitting on pre-existing skeletons. They still look cool. I'm aware it was announced prior to my post. I'm aware the PTR is live. I do not participate in the PTRs. I do watch for new posts on reliable websites. These images were posted in the past 48 hours. Just b/c the PTR crew is seeing them doesn't mean the entire world is. I posted a quick link b/c I was excited and was looking for others to share in that excitement.

Thank you for the corrections Elrith. I'll take them into consideration when posting in the future.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
The new troll male skins/models.

10/10, would bang.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
hate that they are using nelf skeletons. They did the same for jinyu, they used worgens for Sauroks, and now nelves again for trolls. Though the posture is better, but male nelves are so damn disgusting, I just hope they don't stand/walk or idle like them, that would be dreadful.
Edited by Yakuchin on 1/19/2013 8:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
66 Blood Elf Paladin
01/19/2013 08:39 PMPosted by Yakuchin
hate that they are using nelf skeletons. They did the same for jinyu, they used worgens for Sauroks, and now nelves again for trolls. Though the posture is better, but male nelves are so damn disgusting, I just hope they don't stand/walk or idle like them, that would be dreadful.

Ugh, I agree. I'm already pissed that they apparently sit like nelves judging by the screen shots. Trolls had this awesome crouch when they rested; if that's seriously being removed I'll be so disappointed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]