Patch 5.2.0 Undocumented PTR Changes

100 Blood Elf Paladin
20990
UPDATED MARCH 3RD: All fixes are in this post and post 4 on this same page (scroll down)

I need more room in my bug list thread, and this seems like the logical way to do it: create a thread for fixes and changes that Blizzard have not documented involving Pets. Heck, maybe even Bashiok will end up using this to fill in the gaps in the Official 5.2 Notes.

FIXED BUGS
  • All abilities now correctly display Floating Combat Text for all occasions (Blocks are now shown too!).
  • All abilities that say they "always hit" or "never miss" will now truly never miss (95% hit chance, 5% dodge chance), even if it they are affected by accuracy debuffs or weather effects. This also includes Blood in the Water, which previously did not work at all.
  • Corrected the weather animations/effects for Arcane Storm
  • Darkmoon Eye has a new description (previously was a copy of Eye of the Legion): "Don't even think about cheating now."
  • Death Grip's "DATA ERROR" bug has been fixed.
  • Mangle's type indicator guidelines were removed since types don't affect buffs.
  • Mr. Bigglesworth is now Unique.
  • Sweep now correctly shows type indicator guidelines because it is an attack.
  • The Dragonkin passive now correctly lasts only 1 round.
  • The "Pass Turn" button is now locked down correctly in the middle of turns when you are CC'd.
  • Pets that spawn at the same time (server restart or specific event) are no longer identical.
  • The sound that plays when your PVP queue finishes and asks you to join a match has been correctly readded to the game.


PET JOURNAL CHANGES
New Icons:
  • Artic Fox Kit, Alpine Foxling, Alpine Foxling Kit, Bandicoon, Kun-Lai Runt, Nexus Whelpling, Topaz Shale Hatchling all have new icons.

New Descriptions:
  • Jade Tentacle's description is now "Careful now, she can get a bit frisky sometimes!"
  • Tiny Goldfish has a new description: "This bubble is way worse than a tank."
  • Venus' description is now "Seems odd that he does not like flies... right?"

Fixed Pet Sources:
  • Crow's source is now "Occasionally appears alongside other creatures during battles on Darkmoon Island." instead of "Darkmoon Island".
  • Red Cricket's source now specifies that you need Exalted Friendship.
  • Spectral Cub's source is now listed correctly as "Promotion: Battle.net World Championship Shanghai 2012".

Changed Movesets:
  • Nether Faerie Dragon and Sprite Darter Hatchling: Moonfire (row 1 slot 2) and Cyclone (row 2 slot 1) have swapped positions.
  • Tuskarr Kite's new moveset is Slicing Winds, Wild Winds, Flyby, Frost Shock, Cyclone, and Reckless Strike.

Fixed Typos:
  • Bandicoon, Bandicoon Kit, Malayan Quillrat, and Malayan Quillrat Pup: found the word "the" for "Valley of the Four Winds".
  • Infinite Whelpling: corrected spelling for "belives".
  • Murki: corrected spelling for "rares".
  • Imperial Moth and Imperial Silkworm: corrected spelling for "world-reknowned".
  • Harpy Youngling: corrected spelling for "beautfiul".
  • Fluxfire Feline: corrected spelling for "Gnomergan".
  • Lil Deathwing: corrected spelling for "Destoyer".
  • Long-tailed Mole: fixed an apostrophe.
  • Scorpling: corrected spelling for "dimunitive".
  • Water Snake: corrected spelling for "Ogrimmar".
  • Lava Crab: corrected spelling for "adapatable".
  • Biletoad: corrected spelling for "mischievious".
  • Malayan Quillrat: corrected spelling for "agressors".
Edited by Simca on 6/12/2013 8:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
14295
01/23/2013 02:27 PMPosted by Simca
Pets that spawn at the same time (server restart or specific event) are no longer identical.


Thank goodness. Despawning whole zones to get new different ones was going to be pretty lame with the forfeit changes.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
4535
I have 3 Mr. bigglesworth... does that mean I'll automatically lose 2 of them with the patch? And which once? I'd prefer not to lose my lvl 25 one.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
20990
ABILITY CHANGES
Real Unannounced Ability Buffs/Nerfs
  • Deflection's (the new Reflection) cooldown has been decreased from 5 turns to 3 turns.
  • Nevermore's cooldown has been halved from 20 turns to 10 turns.
  • Spiderling Swarm's cooldown has been increased from 3 turns to 4 turns.
  • Thunderbolt now has a 4 turn cooldown (and is AoE as was already announced).

Clarifications
  • Aged Yolk and Eggnong now clarify that they remove all buffs and debuffs "from the user" only.
  • Corrosion now clarifies it has a DoT component as well as a direct damage component and a debuff.
  • Alpha Strike, Gnaw, and Tail Sweep now clarify that their bonus damage occurs "if the user is faster/slower" and not "if the user goes first/last".
  • Omnislash now clarifies that it hits "all enemy pets" and not "the enemy team".
  • Spiked Skin and Thorns now clarify that their effects trigger "from each time you take direct damage" and not "from each time you are struck".

Fixing Status Effects
  • Acidic Goo, Confusing Sting, Creeping Ooze, Poisoned Branch, Poison Fang, Poison Lash, Poison Spit, and Sting all now state in their tooltips that they cause 'Poison' effects.
  • Flame Breath, Flamethrower, and Immolate all now state in their tooltips that they cause 'Burn' effects.
  • The abilities Burn, Railgun, and Sulfuras Smash all have had the word "Burn" in their tooltips replaced with an appropriate synonym to avoid confusion with the 'Burn' status effect.
  • Brittle Webbing and Sticky Web both now state in their tooltips that they cause a 'Web' effect.
  • Flash now states in its tooltip that it causes a 'Blind' effect.

Typos
  • Dreadful Breath, Mana Surge, and Psychic Blast had their weather effects spelled out better ("Rain" and "Arcane Winds" vs "rainy" and "an Arcane Storm").
  • Arcane Storm, Burrow, Lift-Off, and Sticky Grenade's wording was changed from "turns" to "rounds".
  • 'Blind' and 'Web' effects have had their colors synchronized across all abilities (some tooltips had slightly different status effect colors).
  • Siphon Life, Spore Shrooms, Toxic Smoke, Trample, and Wild Winds had some minor grammar/syntax issues fixed.
  • Instability had a typo fixed.
Edited by Simca on 3/3/2013 1:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
14295
I would say delete the 2 level 1s the night you log out before patch day to be sure.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
20990
01/23/2013 02:56 PMPosted by Hearus
I would say delete the 2 level 1s the night you log out before patch day to be sure.

I agree 100%.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
4535
01/23/2013 02:57 PMPosted by Simca
I would say delete the 2 level 1s the night you log out before patch day to be sure.

I agree 100%.


I'll wait for the details, it would be a bummer to delete 2 and have them delete my third one because it wasn't the first one of the three... or whatever other coding bug they may run into.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
13140
Does Venus' tooltip actually say "fly's"? If so, someone should let them know that's a typo. Should be "flies".
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
20990
01/23/2013 04:43 PMPosted by Ashaala
Does Venus' tooltip actually say "fly's"? If so, someone should let them know that's a typo. Should be "flies".


Yes. Typically they catch that kind of stuff. However, there are exceptions (see Infinite Whelpling).
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
22585
"All abilities that say they "always hit" will now truly always hit (95% hit chance, 5% dodge chance), even if it they are affected by accuracy debuffs or weather effects."
So "always" will not be really "always", but 95%?

Definition of ALWAYS

Merriam-Webster
1 at all times : invariably
2 forever
3 at any rate : in any event

Dictionary.com
1. every time; on every occasion; without exception
2. all the time; continuously; uninterruptedly
3. forever
4. in any event; at any time; if necessary
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
11925
You can nitpick if you like, but always hit in the context of the game means 'never misses' (you're enhance, you know about hit rating and expertise, yes?).
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
20455
They REALLY need to fix the Fluxfire Feline.

>.>
<.<

Apparently its from "Dun Murogh" and created in the bowels of "Gnomergon". The newest internet hit: 2 typos 1 pet.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
20990
"All abilities that say they "always hit" will now truly always hit (95% hit chance, 5% dodge chance), even if it they are affected by accuracy debuffs or weather effects."
So "always" will not be really "always", but 95%?

Definition of ALWAYS


True, but they do switch back and forth between using the terminology "never misses" and "always hits" to the point where it is clear their definitions are synonymous in terms of Pet Battles, so that's the reason I worded it the way I did.

It's a nice improvement over Spectral Strike and Nocturnal Strike's 85% hit in 5.1.
Edited by Simca on 1/23/2013 7:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
22585
01/23/2013 06:21 PMPosted by Roanranger
You can nitpick if you like, but always hit in the context of the game means 'never misses' (you're enhance, you know about hit rating and expertise, yes?).


If they want 95% it's fine for me. Absolutely. I do not like when they use strange terminology. Always means 100% every time; on every occasion; without exception. If they want use 95% accuracy they should use different word or better tooltip.

P.S.
I do not want to start holy war here, this is just my opinion and my sense of logic.
Edited by Kiamato on 1/23/2013 7:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Hunter
13140
They REALLY need to fix the Fluxfire Feline.

>.>
<.<

Apparently its from "Dun Murogh" and created in the bowels of "Gnomergon". The newest internet hit: 2 typos 1 pet.
Obviously when they had all those layoffs a couple months ago one of the guys they let go was the copy editor...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
11925
Fair enough, but I think this is more how Simca's parsing the end results than Blizz being weird.

If you use the combat table example; you can have a 100% hit rate and still get dodged / parried, because the combat table is filled from bottom up with the defensive stats first; followed by the offensive stats.

Anything left over is 'wasted'.

I doubt they designed a new combat table system for pet battles; so they fill it up with Dodge chance -> Miss change -> Hit chance (my theory crafting is super rusty so I forget where crit gets filled in, but let's assume it's before hit chance).

So 5% dodge + 0% miss + x% crit (I'd guess base crit is like 10%?) + 100% hit.

The leftover hit is wasted; so the end result is 95% hit chance, even though it was really 100% like you would expect.

This is also why effects like evasion and block will override things like laser.

Also, probably why soul ward looks bugged (block must be the first thing to fill the combat table, meaning it pushes dodge, miss, ect off).
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
22585
I do understand that situation like evasion vs laser is very specific. It's always block vs always hit. So for this situation we should use specific rule always vs always.

But the situation about usual dodge vs always hit is very simple for me. It's chance (dodge) vs always (laser, 100%). Dodge should work for normal spells and should not for "always hit" spells.

IMO
Normal spells
5% dodge + 5% miss + 5% crit + 60-100% hit.

Always hit spells
0% dodge + 0% miss + 5% crit + 100% hit.
Edited by Kiamato on 1/23/2013 8:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
10615
The bigglesworth change is interested and I guess shows they're at least partly interested in preventing 3 pet comps.

I wonder if the dragonkin passive change is a sign they're on their way to fixing the wonky way rounds work out sometimes, especially with moves like survival.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
11925
The bigglesworth change is interested and I guess shows they're at least partly interested in preventing 3 pet comps.

I wonder if the dragonkin passive change is a sign they're on their way to fixing the wonky way rounds work out sometimes, especially with moves like survival.


Actually, its probably more of "not allowing you to receive an achievement reward more than once" type of thing instead of actual balance.

With turkeys now, they've got even more issues than simply stacking pets, now its also stacking pets with clone movesets.
Edited by Surrender on 1/23/2013 8:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
10615
The bigglesworth change is interested and I guess shows they're at least partly interested in preventing 3 pet comps.

I wonder if the dragonkin passive change is a sign they're on their way to fixing the wonky way rounds work out sometimes, especially with moves like survival.


Actually, its probably more of "not allowing you to receive an achievement reward more than once" type of thing instead of actual balance.

With turkeys now, they've got even more issues than simply stacking pets, now its also stacking pets with clone movesets.


You're most likely right but at least a "unique" tag on pets is a step in the right direction. If they apply it here it has the potential to be applied elsewhere.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]