Brand new healer

90 Blood Elf Monk
I've been playing for a long time with only questing and exploring. I've never really tried dungeon groups but after 3 level 90 characters and 2 85s I'm pretty burned out on the quests. I rolled a new priest and thought I would give dungeons and battlegrounds a try but I really have no idea what to do. Is there a guide somewhere that can get me started? Kind of a "Healing for Dummies" type thing. Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Oh and I found the sticky about choosing a healer toon. It was very helpful!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Have you done the dungeons/battlegrounds as a DPS before? If not, you may want to do that before jumping into healing, as there is a lot less pressure on a DPS who doesn't know where to go/what to do, than a healer.

With that said, if you still hope to learn and heal at the same time, I would recommend looking up the various dungeons/battlegrounds on a site like Icy Veins (they aren't the greatest for healing guides, but solid on raid/dungeon guides) so you have some idea of what to expect. For "healing basics", you really can't beat the various stickies in the class forums on here, especially in the Priest sub-forum.

For your first healing experience, you may want to try a battleground. Just find a group of people all heading in the same direction, and try to keep yourself and them alive. You will most likely die a lot, but people rarely get mad at you for that, as dying a lot is the point of a BG. :D

In dungeons, they tend to be a lot less patient with new healers. If you have friends you can run with, I strongly recommend doing so.

Let us know if you have any specific questions, and have fun! :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Thanks for the advice. Battlegrounds sound like the place to start. I also should have mentioned that my priest is just starting out. I haven't hit level 10 yet but I thought I would try to learn as much as possible before jumping in. Thanks again.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
One tip for BG healing, use the "M" button to check your map fairly frequently to see where people are going, and how many are going there. In general, you will want to follow the herd!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]