Holy PvP - crit or mastery?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Or does it even matter?
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
When I used to Holy PvP I found that Critical served me a lot better since Flash of Light crits are like those epic moments as a kid when you get a cookie for doing something really good.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Most pallies go mastery. I go crit.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Just between those two I also am finding Crit more helpful in PvP, new as I am to it on a holy pally.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I am reforging and aiming for crit on the items I buy for Honor and Conquest. Crit seems better than Mastery, at least on paper, for a few reasons.

If someone is getting focused hard, let's face, Illuminated Healing isn't going to jack. It's like laying a coat of tissue paper over someone's armor and saying, "There you go." Granted, it is tissue paper that you can constantly recreate, but tissue paper nonetheless.

Crits with Holy Shock also give you more uptime for Infusion of Light. If you can basically crit ever 6 seconds (since Holy Shock automatically has a higher crit chance), you'll notice the reduced cast time benefiting your team quite a bit.

As someone has said, FoL crits are always uber.

My 2cp.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Crit all the way, imo. Infusion of light is a wonderful thing in pvp. Damage is too spiky in pvp to make mastery bubbles very useful.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Crit for PVP, it's almost always been that way. Reforge into spirit if you wish, but I don't, normally battles don't last long enough or you're dead before you run out of mana anyway :/

Good tissue paper analogy btw :P
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I actually stack Mastery and reforge out of Crit (into Mastery or Haste). The reason I decided to do that was because I get 1% more shielding from my heals for every 425 Mastery Rating, whereas I get 1% more chance to crit for every 600 Crit Rating. I guess I just like getting the most returns out of my secondary stats, and I like the fact that Illuminated Healing shields don't overheal until you have like a 120k bubble on them.

But yes, I do enjoy having Holy Shock crit and getting a fast Divine Light out. However, I'm not much of a risk taker. I don't like relying on the chance Holy Shock will crit like I don't like relying on Divine Purpose to activate.

For what it's worth, though, if I needed 425 rating per crit like I do for Mastery, I'd go crit. In PvP, throughput and burst is everything (or at least a lot).

And I can make a 50k tissue paper from an instant cast spell!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I actually stack Mastery and reforge out of Crit (into Mastery or Haste). The reason I decided to do that was because I get 1% more shielding from my heals for every 425 Mastery Rating, whereas I get 1% more chance to crit for every 600 Crit Rating. I guess I just like getting the most returns out of my secondary stats, and I like the fact that Illuminated Healing shields don't overheal until you have like a 120k bubble on them.

PvP isnt PvE, which is almost painfully obvious to say, but the difference is uptime. PvE you are near 100% uptime, and we all know the amount of CCs that go on in PvP to say that you are going to get quite a bit less uptime.

The quote above doesn't take into account for uptime. Its perfectly fine to calculate 100% uptime mastery versus 100% uptime crit in PvE, but when uptime dips far south of 100 in Pvp you start looking for bang for your buck on each spell. Which makes crit favorable.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I find no matter how I slice it, there's a little give and take between which stat to stack.

With crit, you have a chance of saving someone taking high damage if the lucky crit occurs, but if it doesn't, they'd die from even a lesser amount of damage. With Mastery, I'd never save them if they are recieving high damage, but will always save them if they are taking low damage.

I'm only a better than average healer, so I value stability over the 50% chance my Holy Shock will save my target (Holy Paladins can get 50% crit with HS without CDs, right?) while they are taking ludicrous damage. I just hope I don't fight REALLY good dps in the bgs I do.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If I had to choose between crit and mastery, I would go for crit personally. While I do adore my mastery shield, I only use it to buff up a Flag Carrier or a target of interest (Temple of Kotomogu). Even then, I can get the shield capped at 120k in roughly 30 seconds. Meanwhile a healing crit can usually save a partner (or my own) life.

Farther down the rabbit hole...if I crit more often with my heals, then Illuminated Healing is going to have a higher number to pull the percentile from. In a sense, that's making up for the loss of crit if you were to work more on mastery, at least from my own psychotic logic on the matter.

In conclusion I think it honestly depends on which you would prefer more. Do you want to have your shield being built much better at the cost of less crit heals, or would you rather have more crits at the cost of a slightly weaker shield generation?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Mastery is so great when there is continuous, predictable, medium damage. That ain't pvp. It's "ZOMG big heals on Stabbyfriend right NOW. Ok, Stabby is good/dead, switch to Loltard right NOW."

Two reasons to stack crit in pvp:
1. Bigger heals right NOW.
2. Infusion of light. Those superfast divine lights are so important. Casting divine light without an infusion of light proc is like putting a big red cross over your head saying "I'm a healer, come #%!@@*#* me." Well, ok, the cross is there already, damn it, but infusion of light keeps us mobile and makes us harder to interrupt.

Having said that, if mastery is what works for you, I'm not going to argue. Crit is just the advice I give if someone asks me.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I think that crit is better at low gear levels in pvp. Once you are sitting at mostly Malevolent, and soon to be Tyrannical, Mastery becomes much much better as your healers are naturally bigger. I get plent of Infusion of Light procs without worrying about crit. At higher gear levels, I think that the extra shield from every heal starts to become pretty powerful, and you're not as worried about having weak heals in need of the bonus from crit.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
30% of every heal you do turning into an absorb shield is a good thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]