Are Resto Druids Really *That* Bad?

85 Blood Elf Mage
Have been in a masochistic frame of mind recently and so was tempted to dust off my old healers.

However for ages now everyone has been telling me how bad Rdruids are this expansion. I honestly don't know much about this - but is it true?

What exactly is wrong with them?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
HC
They're not, they may not be the best and they are recieving buffs, but anyone who says they're "bad" are being over dramatic. Healer balance outside of one outlier is the best in a long time.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I would say, we are not in the best position. But, then again we can still get the job done with a bit more effort. I may not top the HPS charts, but I heal the right people at the right time.

Sure, resto druid is frustrating at the moment. It can still get the job done if played well.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
No. I wouldn't trade our Resto Druid for anyone else. He is an amazing healer.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
From a progression raiding standpoint, yes, rdruids are horrible comparing to most other healers this tier. Period.

From a casual guild standpoint? Bring whichever player is the best.

But don't confuse the fact that at equal skill, rdruids are the weakest.
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock
Well we are apparently 10% "bad" so GC is buffing us by that much. Interestingly though, in his comments about the nerfs to disc priests, he stated that hopefully those nerfs will result in an increase in the number of holy priests and resto druids. So it would appear that the number of resto druids has diminished during this expansion, presumably due to their overall weakness relative to the other classes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/21/2013 12:19 AMPosted by Merise
Well we are apparently 10% "bad" so GC is buffing us by that much. Interestingly though, in his comments about the nerfs to disc priests, he stated that hopefully those nerfs will result in an increase in the number of holy priests and resto druids. So it would appear that the number of resto druids has diminished during this expansion, presumably due to their overall weakness relative to the other classes.

Sadly, I think that unless there are fights that really cater to Resto, he's not going to see the results he seems to want.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
01/21/2013 12:19 AMPosted by Merise

When I looked at early heroic Empress 25-man Progression (around the top 100 25 man guilds having killed her), the lack of druids was quite apparent. Druids appeared to make up less than 10% of the healers brought to that fight.

Anyway, it is the lowest I have ever seen. I started seeing a drop off in T13, and it has only escalated in T14.
Edited by Fangthorn on 1/21/2013 12:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm behind a Hpally in heals, but I mean I can get the job done. I do appreciate are incoming buffs though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
No they aren't. Ours in a 10 man is invaluable. Having the option for abusing boomkin power on top of the resto tricks might make our resto druid highest on the utility chart for our roster, higher than our shadowpriest/rogue/discpriest.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/21/2013 12:23 AMPosted by Tiriél
Sadly, I think that unless there are fights that really cater to Resto, he's not going to see the results he seems to want.

If you wanted to design a fight that catered to Resto, how would you do it?

ISTM that we don't really have anything that anyone else doesn't have too, often better, except Clearcasting, which is random.

This is not to say that we can't get the job done, unless it's really ridiculous amounts of aoe burst -- although current encounters do tend to lean toward exactly that -- but I can't think of much or anything that we do *better* than other healers (the actual top healers can answer that question easily, and the answer is usually "shields").

Shields are better than heals ATM because they aren't limited by players' tiny, tiny health pools (relative to the amount of incoming damage, when even tanks have like 2 sec TTL). So healers with shields are better than heals without them.

Aside from the fact that we can only heal people who are wounded, druids are OK, I think.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Resto druid output in 10 mans is middle of the herd. (If only there was only tauren druids that would be funny) (Pally/Disc are ahead of the pack in 10's, shaman behind)

Resto druid raidwall contribution / pre-shielding is non-existent.

Resto druid output in 25 mans is behind the pack by at least 10-15%.

Mainly, druid ouput lacks the ability to deal with burst damage. Which is why there has been a focus on shrooms on the PTR. If shrooms are powerful enough to give druids a way... that'll be nice.

Bliz needs to rethink the current health pools. Triage is already dead in the first tier of the expansion. Without Triage druids suffer. The only acceptable amount of health to leave people at is 100%. Spirit is already at/above Dragon Soul levels.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
01/20/2013 09:42 PMPosted by Sensations
They're not, they may not be the best and they are recieving buffs, but anyone who says they're "bad" are being over dramatic. Healer balance outside of one outlier is the best in a long time.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
For 10-man we are very competitive.

For 25-man we are behind, but not so bad you would deliberately bench one if favor of another healer (except maybe Disc until 5.2).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/21/2013 07:37 AMPosted by Pitkanen
Without Triage druids suffer.

That's not necessarily true. Druids thrived in Wrath up until heroic ICC, and even there they were exceptional for any group not pushing the leading edge of progression.

The issue for druids is the design direction switch from cheap HoTs that were relatively small compared to direct heals to expensive ones that are relatively large. The latter can't really be used proactively, and reactive HoTs are gimp in a world where people need to be topped off in under half the HoT's duration.

Monks are 'fine' (not anybody's top choice, but hardly pariahs) with their HoT-based healing style because their HoT is designed to be used proactively. They also have a relatively good reactive burst, which druids lack (or, rather, druids' version is insanely clunky).

Basically, druids are !@#$-backwards right now: their HoTs are reactive and their burst is proactive.
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock
01/21/2013 08:23 AMPosted by Kaels
Without Triage druids suffer.

That's not necessarily true. Druids thrived in Wrath up until heroic ICC, and even there they were exceptional for any group not pushing the leading edge of progression.

The issue for druids is the design direction switch from cheap HoTs that were relatively small compared to direct heals to expensive ones that are relatively large. The latter can't really be used proactively, and reactive HoTs are gimp in a world where people need to be topped off in under half the HoT's duration.

Monks are 'fine' (not anybody's top choice, but hardly pariahs) with their HoT-based healing style because their HoT is designed to be used proactively. They also have a relatively good reactive burst, which druids lack (or, rather, druids' version is insanely clunky).

Basically, druids are !@#$-backwards right now: their HoTs are reactive and their burst is proactive.

It was the damage auras, infinite mana and prolonged rejuv that made us exceptional. All those are gone now. Since shrooms will likely not be the answer to burst and GC doesn't want to spend any money giving us something new and decent, they could simply push rejuv back to 15 seconds. Combined with our new 4 pc (I think) and increases to spirit, that could be a more reasonable answer to burst management for druids.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/21/2013 10:25 AMPosted by Merise
simply push rejuv back to 15 seconds.

This is a smart idea. It would be a HPM increase without reducing its mana cost further, and promotes more proactive use of Rejuv. They're not really looking to create new tools, so suggestions like this are really what they need to hear. Common sense, simple solutions.
Edited by Qùess on 1/21/2013 10:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
why can't they just change nourish into something useful? give us another burst heal besides our crappy flash heal that cost a ton of mana.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
01/21/2013 10:35 AMPosted by Galoott
why can't they just change nourish into something useful? give us another burst heal besides our crappy flash heal that cost a ton of mana.

Nourish? There's plenty of things that could use attention on Resto Druids. Sure Nourish is one of them, but that's bottom of the barrel. Never was Nourish ever a major part of anything Druids did when it came to throughput. All it ever did was refresh LB/Harmony. Now I just Regrowth for that.

It's been completely removed from my bar and healbot. And I couldn't care less. Really I don't care about it. Remove it from the game for all I care.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/21/2013 10:45 AMPosted by Tonydanza

Nourish? There's plenty of things that could use attention on Resto Druids. Sure Nourish is one of them, but that's bottom of the barrel. Never was Nourish ever a major part of anything Druids did when it came to throughput. All it ever did was refresh LB/Harmony. Now I just Regrowth for that.

It's been completely removed from my bar and healbot. And I couldn't care less. Really I don't care about it. Remove it from the game for all I care.

back in wrath of the lich king it was really good.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]