Are Resto Druids Really *That* Bad?

100 Night Elf Druid
01/21/2013 08:23 AMPosted by Kaels
Basically, druids are !@#$-backwards right now: their HoTs are reactive and their burst is proactive.

That sums things up pretty well. While we are technically "fine" our toolkit isn't very well designed at the moment. We don't even have to bind two spells (Nourish and Healing Touch) and the devs keep trying to shove mushrooms down our throats to "fix" us.

Don't get me wrong, I love my druid and wouldn't play any other healer at this point. I'm thankful for the Naturalist buff that is incoming. I just wish the devs would quit focusing on mushrooms and go back to our original toolkit to tweak things.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
HC
Have been in a masochistic frame of mind recently and so was tempted to dust off my old healers.

However for ages now everyone has been telling me how bad Rdruids are this expansion. I honestly don't know much about this - but is it true?

What exactly is wrong with them?

1. Lack of tools to manage burst damage.
2. Lack of tools to handle stacking encounters as well as other classes.
3. Heal over time spells get "sniped" by other classes.
4. Rejuvenation is probably too mana costly for its purpose.

Players who think we are "fine" are probably not familiar with the information about resto druids low performance in logs, declinining presence in raids, being sat by all the top guilds, ect.

Fortunately help is coming in 5.2. The naturalist buff will help get our raw output up and the new healing mushrooms may help address the first three of the above issues. Increasing spirit pools may also allow more aggressive use of rejuvenation.

1. That's your weakness, welcome it.
2. You lose nothing and only gain when people are stacked, some classes aren't that fortunate in similar situations.
3. Player issue.
4. Possibly, but they can't lower it more than they did or the consequences to balance would be hysterical.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
It's because it gets sniped, Dewan. For reasons you stated: burst. The biggest portion of our healing with Tranq comes from the HoT, not the direct heal. But by the time Tranq's done and the HoT gets a chance to tick, they're already healed to 100% by the other healers. It never really gets to shine now.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Tranq definately needs to be looked at imo. Tranq on it's own is barely enough to keep a raid alive during rain of blades on Wind lord for me...I have to pop int pot + NV + Tranq and it barely gets the job done. Multiple players dipping under 10% ..
I have to save Incarnation for the 3rd/4th and that frankly does a far better job. Feels like Tranq is very watered down.
Whereas other healing classes seem to heal this far far better than I, with no player ever dipping under 40%.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Tranq definately needs to be looked at imo. Tranq on it's own is barely enough to keep a raid alive during rain of blades on Wind lord for me...I have to pop int pot + NV + Tranq and it barely gets the job done. Multiple players dipping under 10% ..
I have to save Incarnation for the 3rd/4th and that frankly does a far better job. Feels like Tranq is very watered down.
Whereas other healing classes seem to heal this far far better than I, with no player ever dipping under 40%.

Are you not dispelling the debuff or something? o_O
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
[quote]

The direct heal from Tranq isnt much larger than a crit rejuv under incarnation or natures vigil. It isnt a surprise that a resto druid would stuggle with large AoE while channeling Tranq.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/21/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Galoott

Nourish? There's plenty of things that could use attention on Resto Druids. Sure Nourish is one of them, but that's bottom of the barrel. Never was Nourish ever a major part of anything Druids did when it came to throughput. All it ever did was refresh LB/Harmony. Now I just Regrowth for that.

It's been completely removed from my bar and healbot. And I couldn't care less. Really I don't care about it. Remove it from the game for all I care.

back in wrath of the lich king it was really good.

Not at all.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
[quote]

The direct heal from Tranq isnt much larger than a crit rejuv under incarnation or natures vigil. It isnt a surprise that a resto druid would stuggle with large AoE while channeling Tranq.

Yeah, but...when our Resto and Boomkin use it, it heals for awesome amounts. We never lose someone during RoB if we have a tranq up.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest

back in wrath of the lich king it was really good.

Not at all.

Yeah...does nobody remember that it only healed the druid's party?

"It's alright guys, I got a cooldown!"
(pops tranq)
(stands there channeling)
(watches half the raid die because the Rejuvs stopped rolling)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
01/21/2013 10:58 AMPosted by Zyleia
the devs keep trying to shove mushrooms down our throats to "fix" us.

I often shove mushrooms down my own throat to "fix" things.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
01/21/2013 03:15 PMPosted by Alphadruid
You are suggesting there is some way druids can prevent hot sniping?

The other healers could fix it. But as long as people pay attention to meters, the other healers have no incentive to fix it -- it makes them look good and the druid look bad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/21/2013 03:57 PMPosted by Calonderiel

The other healers could fix it. But as long as people pay attention to meters, the other healers have no incentive to fix it -- it makes them look good and the druid look bad.

This is very true.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

Not at all.

Yeah...does nobody remember that it only healed the druid's party?

"It's alright guys, I got a cooldown!"
(pops tranq)
(stands there channeling)
(watches half the raid die because the Rejuvs stopped rolling)

He was talking about nourish, and it WAS the go-to direct heal in wrath....

1. That's your weakness, welcome it.
2. You lose nothing and only gain when people are stacked, some classes aren't that fortunate in similar situations.
3. Player issue.
4. Possibly, but they can't lower it more than they did or the consequences to balance would be hysterical.

1. Welcome a weakness? At least try and make sense.

2. We do not gain anything substantial, and overall end up on the losing side relative to others as our HOT efficiency plummets. Mushrooms may solve that (and currently add some). I also assume you are going to mention swiftmend, but at a 3 person cap, we only marginally benefit from raid stacking. It is ridiculously easy to achieve without stacking, and even then, melee always provides that small grouping. Additionally, we do actually end up "losing" overall. Our over-healing skyrockets in stacking situations, as every class has a much more powerful toolkit for stacked healing. Unless you consider over-healing a positive, you are wrong. Any slight benefit from muchrooms and to swiftmend is easily off-set by a loss of efficiency in our HOTs.

3. What a cop out. There is no choice, or "player" decision to be made. The term sniping is just a synonym for over-healing. Either you use your HOT based tool-kit and get "sniped", or don't heal at all. Additionally, there should never be any expectation for other healers to do anything but heal at their maximum amount if mana allows. Personally I think it is just part of being a druid, and usually more about over-gearing or using too many healers. But, really, telling him to "L2P" is all you can manage? Classy.

4. Hyperbole much? So if they lowered it another 5%, "balance would be hysterical". Don't bother breaking out the spreadsheets and calculations, we will just take your word for it...
Edited by Fangthorn on 1/21/2013 4:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
They are being buffed in 5.2. Read the patch notes.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/21/2013 04:02 PMPosted by Fangthorn
He was talking about nourish, and it WAS the go-to direct heal in wrath....

Oh, ok. Got distracted by the Tranq discussion.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
01/21/2013 03:59 PMPosted by Tiriél

This is very true.

Not really, beyond overlapping raid cds, and causing yourself to go OOM before a fight ends, there is no reason for any healer to alter their performance for another.

The situation he describes is almost always the result of bringing too many healers to a fight. That is a separate issue.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/21/2013 03:15 PMPosted by Alphadruid
No, I think the "player issue" was intended to refer to the player doing the sniping.

Not that I agree. Just clarifying.
Edited by Kaels on 1/21/2013 4:37 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]