Are Resto Druids Really *That* Bad?

100 Orc Shaman
HC
In my guild I almost always outheal the other healers on my resto druid, and not because they aren't good. They all couldn't believe that I am getting a buff next patch.

A large part of the problem for many resto druids is that they set themselves up for failure. You see many Resto druids on here with as little as 6k spirit, reforging it off their gear as if this was still the end of Cataclysm. Once they've got themselves to the point where they are so mana starved that they are afraid to actually cast spells, you see the associated bad advice begin to roll in. I see many throwing around the suggestion that you shouldn't rejuv a target until they already have a significant health deficit, as if the fact that a HoT is the absolute worst heal for that situation is no longer immediately obvious. And then they wonder why their HoTs get sniped?

Resto Druids are the best healers when we (surprise, surprise) focus on what we are good at; being able to lay a Blitzkrieg of HoTs down on the raid. No healer aside from maybe a disc priest can snipe a HoT that is already ticking on a target before they take damage. Our AoE throughput is actually quite amazing once you have rejuvs ticking on the people who need it.

Spirit is subjective you only need enough too heal the encounter i'm currently at 5k spirit and i don't have mana problems, but i only raid 10 man.

Spirit is subjective yes, but that's just silly.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
01/26/2013 11:46 AMPosted by Prys
However, everything a Druid brings to a raid another healer can do better. With the implementation of Spirit Shell, Druids are just overheal for the most part and any other healing that needs to be patched up can be gotten by AE, most of which is just ground targeted, from *all* of the other classes. To further hit them while they are down, Druids don't bring any raid cooldowns, which have been paramount to this game since Ulduar. There is literally zero reason to have a Resto Druid in your raid and that is a failing according to Blizzard's game/class design goals.

Tranq, and battle res say hi.

Raid cooldown and something r druids bring that no other HEALER can do, let alone do better.

Stick to facts and stop reaching into the world of hyperbole to try and get buffs.

R druid spammable aoe healing is less than stellar, which hurts in 25s, yes. Beyond that they are perfectly adequate when played well.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
In my guild I almost always outheal the other healers on my resto druid, and not because they aren't good. They all couldn't believe that I am getting a buff next patch.

A large part of the problem for many resto druids is that they set themselves up for failure. You see many Resto druids on here with as little as 6k spirit, reforging it off their gear as if this was still the end of Cataclysm. Once they've got themselves to the point where they are so mana starved that they are afraid to actually cast spells, you see the associated bad advice begin to roll in. I see many throwing around the suggestion that you shouldn't rejuv a target until they already have a significant health deficit, as if the fact that a HoT is the absolute worst heal for that situation is no longer immediately obvious. And then they wonder why their HoTs get sniped?

Resto Druids are the best healers when we (surprise, surprise) focus on what we are good at; being able to lay a Blitzkrieg of HoTs down on the raid. No healer aside from maybe a disc priest can snipe a HoT that is already ticking on a target before they take damage. Our AoE throughput is actually quite amazing once you have rejuvs ticking on the people who need it.

Ok we might be here in the presence of an statistical aberration. A resto druid so incredibly skilled he is able to top meters in the presence of other skilled healers. Fortunately, games like this, by their definition, can not be designed with just the 1% of the population in mind. They have to take into account players all of levels of skill and dedication.

Kudos to you for being so awesome. I happen to have a guildmate who is one of such great R Druids. He is a mathematical whiz, an immensely talented player who has taught me a great deal. Talking to him about the matter, it's very obvious that he feels that we are not competitive enough. Full disclosure: we raid sometimes with 2 and 3 Disc Priests.

Raid composition, and relative skill within that composition can affect greatly how do we perceive ourselves. I happen to raid in the company of extremely skilled players who push me to excel in this game. My personal experience is that we are lagging behind and that we need a change, I don't know if its mechanical, or just numbers, if its restricted to our class or if it should involve others. Only thing is plain obvious to me is that a change is needed. Fortunately, the designers are iterating in that direction. Let's hope their efforts meet our expectations and needs.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Tranq, and battle res say hi.Raid cooldown and something r druids bring that no other HEALER can do, let alone do better.

I've seen raids wipe through tranq. Battle res is common as dirt on other classes now. You may as well use MOTW as an example.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
01/27/2013 06:18 PMPosted by Merìdian
Tranq, and battle res say hi.Raid cooldown and something r druids bring that no other HEALER can do, let alone do better.

I've seen raids wipe through tranq. Battle res is common as dirt on other classes now. You may as well use MOTW as an example.

I find it very strange that they would use Battle rez and tranq as an example. Shaman totem and hymn are superior to tranq. Hymn hits harder front load while providing a 10% healing increase to targets affected. Shaman totem heals for more than tranq but more importantly does not need to be channeled by the shaman; leaving the shaman free to cast for the totems duration. Battle rez is carried by DK's and warlocks. More importantly though is that 100% BR can be carried by non-resto druids which nullifies that argument as well.

From a healer standpoint only druids can rez but from a raid point there are multiple sources of battle rez and with the restriction to 1 - 3 rezzes (depending on settting) this has very little to do with healer utilities.

Tranq is not weak enough that your raid group should be dieing during it. There is something else going wrong that is causing people to die. Tranq doesn't have the quite the power of Hymn/totem but it's still very good. Perhaps they should consider putting more healing into the direct front load healing on tranq.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]