OOM Podcast Ep #2 Hardcore Raid Healing

90 Pandaren Shaman
01/27/2013 01:07 AMPosted by Alphadruid
Depressing that all these people seemed to know nothing about resto druid play.

Considering that the only lvl 90 Resto Druid in the group is PvP, and not PvE means something

01/27/2013 07:01 AMPosted by Riôt
Since the community at-large feels that druids are *bad,* and have been *bad* all expansion so far, perhaps the podcast that follows patch 5.2 should be mostly about this very topic.

the NExt show will be about 5.2. We needed some time to look at the PTR and get the ins and outs
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
01/27/2013 07:10 AMPosted by Shammyren

Considering that the only lvl 90 Resto Druid in the group is PvP, and not PvE means something

Since the community at-large feels that druids are *bad,* and have been *bad* all expansion so far, perhaps the podcast that follows patch 5.2 should be mostly about this very topic.

the NExt show will be about 5.2. We needed some time to look at the PTR and get the ins and outs

I meant the changes to Druids in particular, and how the panel feels about how they have affected the perception of Druid raid viability post 5.2.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I meant the changes to Druids in particular, and how the panel feels about how they have affected the perception of Druid raid viability post 5.2.

Riôt

Im currently trying out a Resto Druid of the PTR, so hopefully we should be able to talk more in depth about it the next Episode
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Personally, I don't think it was so much that druids are/were *bad*, but that we are more affected by group comp and scaling (gear as well as group size), both in PvP and PvE. It was mentioned briefly in the last episode, but a larger discussion of group composition and how it affects healing would be interesting. This would include sub-topics such as buffs (oh spell haste buff, how dependent on thou art we), the interaction between HoTs, shields/absorbs, and direct heals, and the various pros and cons of the different Symbiosis targets.

OK, the above list applies mainly from a druid perspective, but I think you get the idea.
Reply Quote
MVP
91 Blood Elf Paladin
HC

It's depressing that you're making holistic comme-

01/27/2013 01:29 AMPosted by Eikocarol
Blanket generalizations are awesome and really make apparently what you feel people didn't know about the class.

Mah dude Eiko's got it under control nvm.

P.S., I am glad that my worries are fading with the deprecation of Mist's voice. (I'm jk rain ilu).
90 Night Elf Druid

Wtf is a druid.

Anyways, druids (as well as other classes) will be discussed during the next episode when we talk about 5.2 and the upcoming changes.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Have you all uploaded the second one yet?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/27/2013 09:26 AMPosted by Taymage
Have you all uploaded the second one yet?

It's up on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO50ANm5RfM , just takes a while for iTunes :D
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Yay, ty.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

Blanket generalizations are awesome and really make apparently what you feel people didn't know about the class.

I didn't intend for my post to be snide/hostile. Since you and Practical want me to be more specific: When someone asked the panel what they thought about the druid 4T16 bonus someone had to go look it up. Then some people on the panel seemed to not understand how the bonus to rejuvenation is applied. Considering that the people on this panel are healing for very progressed hardcore guilds (that are already preparing for T16 by testing it on the PTR) it was kinda a sad statement of how much resto druid play has declined and it suggests that the upcoming changes haven't generated much interest.

Since I'm already being more critical than I intended to be, I was also perplexed by the brief "balance druid is amazing" talk. Raidbots shows balance as behind shadow priests and well behind mages/warlocks.

To be fair, Boomkin always have a strong presence in multitarget fights, so they can be "amazing" at times. I thought that answer was fine, their main resto druids are playing Boomkin and Monk, and there are stronger options for healers. Just how it ended up, but definitely still highlights that druids were really weak.

What confuses me is it appears that there are two druids hosts. How could there be any trouble giving feedback on simple druid questions?
Edited by Fangthorn on 1/27/2013 10:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
What confuses me is it appears that there are two druids hosts. How can there be two druid hosts but no one able to discuss simple druid topics?

The entire basis of the person's criticism was (1) not knowing what the proposed tier 15 set bonus is on the current PTR; and (2) disagreeing with an opinion about Boomkin dps.

That most certainly does not mean there is "no one able to discuss simple druid topics".
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
How does the PTR have anything to do with knowing what the set bonuses are? That is as simple as it gets, any hardcore wow player generally knows this about their class within 24 hours of it being on MMO...

Anyway, not trying to be insulting here. But honestly, there are two druid hosts on the podcast, but you would never know that except for their names being orange.
Edited by Fangthorn on 1/27/2013 10:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I didn't intend for my post to be snide/hostile. Since you and Practical want me to be more specific: When someone asked the panel what they thought about the druid 4T16 bonus someone had to go look it up. Then some people on the panel seemed to not understand how the bonus to rejuvenation is applied. Considering that the people on this panel are healing for very progressed hardcore guilds (that are already preparing for T16 by testing it on the PTR) it was kinda a sad statement of how much resto druid play has declined and it suggests that the upcoming changes haven't generated much interest.

Since I'm already being more critical than I intended to be, I was also perplexed by the brief "balance druid is amazing" talk. Raidbots shows balance as behind shadow priests and well behind mages/warlocks.

I looked it up personally because I didn't want to give false information since I wasn't positive if the tier bonus was still the same or not/the exact wording for it (I barely looked at it when it was announced), I was paying more attention to the changes to PvP rather than PvE. When we're getting asked questions on the fly sometimes we may have to google - it happens. I do heal LFR but that's hardly the same. I didn't give feedback because I had nothing to add.

"Considering that the people on this panel are healing for very progressed hardcore guilds" and not everyone on the panel is. The topic in itself for last week was progression raiding, however, only a few of those on the panel (plus the guests) are involved in it. Personally I focus more on PvP as a druid since my guild fell apart while I raid on a Mage. I planned on PTR testing as well once the client decides it likes me from a PvE perspective.

And there's nothing wrong with being critical, we can not improve if people don't tell us what to improve on but being snide about it is not warranted or needed.

Now, if we do 5.2 on the next episode we'll have a list of all of the changes to reference.
Edited by Veroicone on 1/27/2013 10:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 10:23 AMPosted by Fangthorn
How does the PTR have anything to do with knowing what the set bonuses are? That is as simple as it gets, any hardcore wow player generally knows this about their class within 24 hours of it being on MMO...

Yeah, but they don't remember it. I looked up my specs' tier bonuses but I sure don't remember the details.

You're right, though, that the most anyone could say about resto druids was "there are other options" and that's telling.
Reply Quote
My biggest complaint is that there are 7 hosts (plus guests). It's difficult to know who is speaking (although, this would fix itself after voices are learned) because there are so many. It's also amplified by the fact that it can be hard to see the glowing around the picture to see who is talking. I'm not sure how to fix that though.

If you guys are wanting some general ideas, it might be good to look at how talk radio shows are setup (with hosts, guests, segments, etc).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
^ Thanks for your feedback :D!

I plan to edit the background a little more so the glow shows up, it sorta blends into the background which I didn't realize would happen when I made it.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
01/27/2013 10:45 AMPosted by Veroicone
The topic in itself for last week was progression raiding, however, only a few of those on the panel (plus the guests) are involved in it.

I know you guys are just getting used to things and it's still a learning process, so hopefully the feedback is just helping you.

But, to talk about "heroic progression as a healer" and not have all sources of information ready at hand isn't being very prepared. Especially if you're (not particularly YOU, even though you're part of the equation :P ) basically the only representation of the class and all of its inhibitions for the topic.

If you can't provide the information needed, then you need to get people who can. Hence why you grabbed some guests. But for starters, they were all 25m raiders. What if you had some 10m heroic raiding questions?

You had... 2 priests? 1 monk and 1 shaman for your guestlist this week? I think you need to get a wider variety.

And I think it may be beneficial to only have 1-2 hosts per podcast, with guests appropriate to the podcast theme. Of which you should have 1 10m raider and 1 25m raider of each class. Level of raiding can vary, as long as their amount of experience is sufficient (which can be dependent on things).

On top of that, there's only like 2-3 people out of what.. 6-7 people talking?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Hey I just wanted to hop in and say great show although me being pally biase makes me want to hear nothing but paladin info but I suppose there ARE other classes...

Maybe, and this is just a shot in the dark, you could have mini podcast about each healing spec and what it means to play that spec proficiently?

I made this toon at the very last days of BC and even then he was a tank until end of WotLK but my guild lost a healer and I was our only tank that didn't mind trying it out and I fell in love but I know I need improvement.

P.S. I am just getting back to wow after a year break for stun wars: ToR then guild wars 2 so I'm trying to catch back up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]