Promotions

6 Gnome Rogue
We keep a trial rank for would be raiders. If they pass that, they get promoted to a raider rank.

There's a social rank for folks we know and like, but either don't want to raid with us, or who, much as we love them, we would never allow within spitting range of a progression raid, and there is no promotion into, or out of this rank except in extreme circumstances.

We have another rank for people who used to be raiders and who don't have the time or desire to do so anymore, which I suppose could be counted as a "promotion" from raider.

Officers are promoted based on whoever is *already* filling a need. The rank gets handed out to people who have stepped up to the plate to take on a major guild leading or raid leading related tasks or tasks on a regular basis, and we've only had 3 in the history of the guild, currently we have none.

edit: Yes I know, I run a heroic raiding guild by myself, with no officers and that makes me a raving lunatic.
Edited by Chatte on 2/12/2013 7:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
This is all very interesting to read. Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
My current guild is a new raid guild (what can I say, I'm a bit of a masochist), so it doesn't quite have a proper rank structure yet. But here's the rank system I'm partial to, based on experience in BC/Wrath, modified for the full-blown GB system.

1. Recruit. Entry-level position for new blood, basically. You're here until you sink raid time in (so your Recruit period could be one day or, if you're recruited as a lowbie, weeks).

2. Member. You've cut your teeth on some boss fight and didn't rock the boat too much, so you got promoted here. You get a small stipend for guild repairs (~10g) and view rights on the guild bank.

3. Core Raider. When you get here is kind of iffy, but if you're doing progression with us reliably, you'll get it. It's basically Member with a bigger repair grant (~25g). Limited access to some bank tabs (primarily raid-related ones).

4. Class Lead. This is something of a non-comm position, reserved for people who really know their classes, but doesn't quite qualify as an officer. These guys don't have lots of responsibilities, but we expect them to know what their specific class does in a given raid encounter and be able to explain this to any raiders who need to be briefed. They get a bigger grant (~50g) and access to some non-raid bank tabs (like glyphs).

5. Guild Officer. Catch-all officer rank. Officers who handle recruitment, organize PvP, deal with conflict resolution, and so forth fall here. There shouldn't be more than two or three. Much higher repair coverage (~100g),

6. Raid Officer. These guys are basically the Raid Leader's assistants. They help handle all the minutiae that comes with organizing raids. They make sure the guild is stocked for feasts and flasks, they make sure attendance is marked on the calendar, and basically do whatever the raid leader needs done. In the event the raid leader doesn't show up (planned or unplanned), they fill in for him. These are also the guys that are going to be keeping an eye out for specific changes in the encounter (like, say, calling out when a specific quilien hits 80 energy in MSV). Your MT/OT are probably raid officers by default.

7. Raid Leader. The Raid Leader's job is to lead raids. That's it. He watches videos of progression, he studies encounters, he explains the encounters, he outlines and presents new strategies, and so forth. To prevent burn-out, his job basically starts and ends in the actual raid. Ideally he'll be a ranged class (so as to best keep tabs on the fight), but pretty much anything works.

8. Guild Master. Does whatever he wants. If he wants to lead raids, he leads raids. If he wants to handle recruitment, he handles recruitment.

Other ranks to consider.
Farmer - Guys who just farm stuff for the guild. They aren't going to tag along on progression, but a slot or two is always reserved for them on loot runs.

Casual - Guys who are just there to fill out the roster and tag along on some guild events. They get priority over pugs, but don't move heaven and earth to bring them to raids.

Alts - Some guilds like having a specific alt rank. I'm not a fan.

Core Raider - Some guilds use this in the place of Class Leads. Either works, really.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Zylivos, you should probably add a zero to all your allotted repair amount if you're serious about being a raiding guild. Most of those listed wouldn't cover a single death nowadays.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I was actually thinking more along the lines of granting that stipend times the number of boss attempts you make in a given raid night. Which I somehow failed to mention.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
As GM of a mid-level raiding guild (clearing heroic content generally by end of patch), we don't promote as an incentive, we simply use our ranks as identifiers.

Banker: Full access to the bank to do as he pleases, requires an authenticator
Officers: Everyone with a specific job, 10k withdraw level and access to items in the bank, also requires an authenticator. Guild repairs on full time for the hard work they do keeping our ship sailing on smooth waters.
Officer alts: No gold withdrawls, small stack access (5 stacks on all tabs except for officer only)
Team Drunk: Our progression team, small stack withdrawls on raid nights only for their raiding supplies, full guild repairs on raid nights.
Team Bacon: Our team for more casual raiders, same bank privileges as the drunks, full raid night repairs.
Casuals: Our friends and family rank
Oh you again: all alts with no bank access
NKOTB: Our recruits

Our final two ranks are for joke demotions when someone fails mechanics, one that is still allowed to talk in guild, and one rank that isn't. They're just for fun. I'd name them, but they're inside jokes and one has an expletive.

I've known guilds where their ranks are based on contributions, and they receive more perks because of it, but personally our ranks are much more focused on their level of access to our bank and their role in the guild.
Edited by Clearly on 2/20/2013 11:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Thank you SO much for all of this, it's given me MUCH to think about and helped me make what I think are good decisions based on the kind of guild you are in, whether it's a smaller or larger guild. Smaller guilds, it makes sense if you are a close-knit group of friends to move someone up through the ranks more quickly. In a larger guild, perhaps it's best to use more arbitrary things for rank ups, while giving special ranks to those that stick around? It's something I've been thinking a lot about...

Regardless, feel free to keep sharing here, this has been a very good thread to read.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
We're a 25-man raiding guild with about 50 active members.

Recruits enter a trial period, which typically ends after three weeks with a vote on acceptance by current members. Five votes against result in removal from the guild. Sufficient abstentions (almost always due to unfamiliarity from a recruit's lack of time online) will extend the trial period and require another vote.

We have three separate ranks for full, rank-and-file members. One is for non-raiding members, another for members cleared for raiding, and the third is for both raiding and non-raiding members without authenticators. The first two, logically, have more substantial guild bank access than the last.

Class officers, selected by leadership and reviewed by current officers, have full access to material items in the guild bank. They also have the authority to invite approved members to the guild, kick guild members when instructed or in an emergency, and promote/demote to their rank as appropriate.

The guild is led by a four-member council (a fifth stepped down during Cataclysm and the seat remains vacant). The council shares full access and responsibility for the business and policy of the guild with input from regular membership and guidance from officers. Any special decisions, be it tier-specific loot rules or allowing a former member to re-apply, require a majority council vote and an informal advice-and-consent role of the officer corps.

Serenity Knights has been in operation since The Burning Crusade, and all of us in leadership are in our thirties and forties, so the system works out marvelously.
Edited by Aedilhild on 3/1/2013 6:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
In our casual non-raiding we have:

GM
Officers
Members
Alts of members
AFK members
Probabtinary members
Alts of probationary members

Applicants are made probabionary members once their submitted application is approved following a pre-invite interview.

Probabationary period is at least two week. We discuss each probationary member on a members-only section of our webpage. Once everyone decided the probationary members is ready, we promote her to member.

If a member is away for over 30 days, she gets demoted to AFK member. This rank doesn't have bank access. She is reinstated to full member once she returns (and we know it's actually her).

Officers are nominted when needed by the officers. A ratification poll is then held by all full members on our website.

Our guild has been active since 2006, and this method has worked very well for us.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Thank you so much for that Giwwy, that's pretty much the similar direction I decided to take in my main guild. Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Mine are as follows. The higher the rank the more access they have

Fresh Meat- newbies... they can only take out 100 items a day. This rank is also for people who are inactive.

Storm- Members

Earthquake- Officer (I only have 1 officer so it's him and his alts for now)

Field Marshal- Co-gm his alts and my alts as well

Big Kahuna (GM) that's my rank

My guild is not big and the 3 of us are online the majority of the time so I haven't had a need for another officer.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
My guild goes as follows:

GM
Officer
Initiate

Any idea on how to spice this up so the listing isn't so dull? I tried some fun names for these ranks, but they all turn out cheesy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have always been against ranks. In bigger guilds I can see the use but in ours we recruit only raiders so its the 3 officers and then everyone else. Everyone can see the g bank but cant take out of every tab though they just need to ask and it is theirs.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Why are you against ranks, for what reason? I mean, I am having an issue with my ranking system at the moment, that all of a sudden those who have higher ranks can withdraw more money from the guild bank, but this has led to a situation where the guild is spending more then it's saving! But the obvious solution is to just ditch guild repairs, but that caused a bit of discomfort and hurt feelings for the people that felt that they were contributing, by going out and doing the dailies etc (which contributes to guild bank funds), so had to create a new rank above the more arbitrary ranks, ditching this probationary rank I had, which then forced my hand to give the highest officers the right to kick people back but had to remind myself, that they are there because I trust them there. It's still a bit of a crazy mess, this thread certainly helped me make decisions there, but I'm still sort of winging it a bit. Feel free to keep sharing your ranking systems though, as I have made quite a few changes, and the amount of ideas and feedback I've gotten in this thread has been great, this has been by far, the most helpful and useful thread I've found on this forum, so thank you for sharing everyone.
Edited by Eliil on 3/11/2013 2:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Guild Master - self explanitory
Co-GM + alts of GM and Co-Gm - self explanitory
Officers + officer alts - There to assist the GM and Co-GM in officiating rules, organizing the guild bank, and keeping communications open
Supervisors/Leaders - Raid leaders and Officers-in-training
Raiders - Those who hold solid spots on any current-content raid team or bench
Members - Member status requires an authenticator, has guild bank access, and are active in the guild
Social - Those who have been in the guild, contribute, but do not have an authenticator
Alts - All alts of anyone ranked raider or below
New Members - Any member who has been with our guild less than two weeks. After a two-week trial period, new members are bumped to social or member status
Probation rank - Reserved for members who have not abided by guild rules or are suspected of having their accounts compromised - there is no bank access, no guild chat access, and no guild repairs
Reply Quote
7 Night Elf Warrior
We promote based on guild activity and how much you help the guild. We make exception for people who run nothing but dungeons. If you are inactive for a month without letting an officer know, you will be kicked. We watch for sketchy activity and have kicked people who were begging for gold. We are a small guild so it allows us to get to know each player and really help them out.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Our guild, Riders of Eternity, was founded on the idea of it being a place where people can play regardless of their style of playing and be free from ridicule by elitists. We have evolved our promotion system to be based on deeds done.

Ranks are as follows. Priviledges are cumulative from the bottom up. Alts automatically gain the rank of their main as long as they are noted as being the alt of that main.

Eternal Master - Guild Leader
Eternal General - Additional Guild Leader(s) and all Guild Leader alts. Unlimited bank access, can remove members.
Eternal Officer - Senior Officer rank. Greater bank access.
Eternal Templar - Officer rank. Greater bank access, has ability to promote/demote to keep order (rarely used) or to equilize alts.
Eternal Knight - Junior Officer rank. Greater bank access, can alter notes, use officer chat.
Eternal Steward - highest non-officer rank. Greater bank access.
Eternal Rider - Greater bank access, can schedule guild events.
Eternal Squire - Entry level rank. Can withdraw 1 stack/day from 2 bank tabs, and have some guild repair, speak in guild chat, invite members.
Eternal Page - "Prison" rank for those who misbehave or are hacked. Can only listen to guild chat.

To get from Squire to Rider, only a few acts are needed: recruit members, help others, or donate items to guild bank. The bank and recruiting logs are monitored and activity is recorded. Withdrawing from the bank doesn't count negatively - only deposits are looked at. We rely on first-hand observation or people to tell us when others are helpful (self-reporting doesn't count).

To get from Rider to Steward, more acts are needed. Promotion to Rider or Steward can occur as soon as it is earned; new Stewards are announced in the MoD for a day.

To get to Knight, even more acts are needed, but also participation in guild events/management and a helpful demeanour towards members. To get to Templar even more acts and participation is needed; and and extreme amount needed to reach Officer. We have only had about 10 Officers in our almost 3-year history. Promotions to Knight, Templar and Officer are only done at a monthly guild meeting; this is the easy way of ensuring people don't get promoted too quickly through the officer levels.

This system works well with our open recruiting - anyone who comes to rob the bank generally leaves quickly in frustration as they actually have to help to be able to take much of anything. And Templars and higher ranks are able to demote any troublemakers to Page until they can be dealt with fairly.
Edited by Brightclouds on 3/15/2013 8:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Monk
My main's guild is more of a social guild, so we go by guild activity for the most part. If you are willing to do stuff with the guild such as raid, dungeons, help, etc., we will be more willing to promote you. Other aspects apply as well though because some of the more active members are the biggest douches. Once we get to know you can we can tell you're trustworthy, your rank will get better.

Recruit: New members; 0-500k activity; very few priviledges to prevent bank robbings
Private: 500k- 1 million activty; more guild privileges
PFC: 1 million- 2 million guild activity; more priviledges
Lieutenant: 2 million- 5 million activity; more priviledges
Captain: 3rd officer rank; can do some of what officers can do; no access to officer chat;
Major: 2nd officer rank; can do most of what the officers can, but not all of it; access to officer chat
Chief: Officer alts; Have the same privileges as the officers; Access to the bank, promote/demote, officer chat, gkick,
Commander: Officers; Players that have been in the guild forever; Always willing to raid and/or help out when needed; trusted people
GM: self explanitory

We only have 10 officers because that's as much as we think we need. We wanted to make sure they were all the ones we trusted. With 10, it can almost be assured that one will always be on their main or at least an alt when we need them.
Edited by Alàina on 3/15/2013 10:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Once again, I thank EVERYONE for sharing their guilds information on this. This thread has really been helping me make new decisions and reconsidering old decisions.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]