Predictions: best DPS for 5.2 arena

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Each tier is in order of best to worst. Updated this after post #24.

Tier 1, da best
Rogue, BM, Windwalker, Arms, Shadow

Arms may be high tier 2, but I won't believe it until 5.2 is live for a while and warriors have time to adjust to not playing like retards. Shadow is still on the chopping block, but I expect it to land in tier 1 or high tier 2.

Tier 2, good
Frost Mage, Ele, Warlock

Ele is gonna be way better, but I'm not ready to jump on the "best caster" bandwagon just yet. Warlocks are difficult to place because, even after individual nerfs, their synergy with other classes is always stellar.

Tier 3, so-so
DK, Feral, Ret, Enhance, Moonkin

I think the gap between the haves and the have-nots will be a little lower in 5.2; these specs won't be bad, just not quite as good. Unholy is looking to make a comeback. Feral is getting nerfed harder than people think IMO. Ret is getting some nice healing buffs, but it may still be too easy to zerg in 3's.
Edited by Hafleur on 1/22/2013 11:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I feel every class is capable of being top tier with enough patience.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Rofl feral tier 4. Do you even play bro?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Tier 1: Warrior/Spriest/Rogue/Monk/Hunter
Tier 2: All others will be here
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/20/2013 05:29 PMPosted by Thunky
I feel every class is capable of being top tier with enough patience.

if you're the best player in the world playing with the best teammates in the world, sure, you can make most things work. but take your comp for example, KFC -- i honestly mean no offense to you, but it is an extremely overpowered comp and on top of that it's faceroll

this thread is intended to be light, for people to rank specs and get into some good-natured arguments, but let's not pretend the game is balanced

01/20/2013 05:33 PMPosted by Teknon
Rofl feral tier 4. Do you even play bro?

i'm not your bro, pal

feral is one of the very best specs right now, but the nerf-bat is coming down hard. it won't be tier 1 anymore and tier 2 is doubtful. my prediction is at best low tier 2 or high tier 3
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Arms is not getting damage nerfs....... if is not a damage nerf, then is not a nerf.....

I got a damage nerf in my chaos wave and the popularity of warlocks sharply decreased.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I lost IQ reading this.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
Ret, WW, Rogue are probably the three top melee on the PTR right now. This list is WAY wrong.

I would honestly put Unholy right there with them if not for the small number of people that actually know how to play Unholy to the maximum.

I bet were are going to see !@# return. Since Elementals damage is zomg, and they will have good heals and decent defense. Lock defenses are still solid, and affliction will allow for decent pressure, and resto druids will have good peels still.

Expect to see the return of..

L S D
PHD
RMP
RLS
L S D 2.0
Dancing With The Stars
Edited by Primiez on 1/20/2013 5:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
94 Goblin Warlock

feral is one of the very best specs right now, but the nerf-bat is coming down hard. it won't be tier 1 anymore and tier 2 is doubtful. my prediction is at best low tier 2 or high tier 3

The cyclone nerfs are going to suck, yeah. But the spec's healing is going up next patch. Plus it's not losing its Incarnation gimmicks (the NV nerf hurts, but it's not going to stop it from dissolving people), and I really can't see it ever being a particularly bad spec as long as it still has those.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Tier 1: Me
Tier 2: Nobody, because they're dead by me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/20/2013 05:57 PMPosted by Primiez
Ret, WW, Rogue are probably the three top melee on the PTR right now. This list is WAY wrong.

I'm curious what makes you think Ret will be a top melee. The buff to FoL is quite large, but I'm not sure it'll help against, say, a KFC intent on training the Ret.

Rogues will obviously be good. Why do you think warriors won't be a top melee anymore? They've been so incredibly dominant that I don't see the nerfs knocking them out of top tier. WW's are hard to gauge because who knows how many skilled players have one and RoP still isn't ready to go live.

01/20/2013 05:57 PMPosted by Primiez
Lock defenses are still solid, and affliction will allow for decent pressure, and resto druids will have good peels still.

I'm sure top warlocks will do well, but they're not tier 1 on live and what will change that in 5.2? Maybe the Blood Fear nerf won't matter if rogues can control for them. LSD will be very interesting.

edit: lol @ LSD being censored
Edited by Hafleur on 1/20/2013 6:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/20/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Leviathan
The cyclone nerfs are going to suck, yeah. But the spec's healing is going up next patch. Plus it's not losing its Incarnation gimmicks (the NV nerf hurts, but it's not going to stop it from dissolving people), and I really can't see it ever being a particularly bad spec as long as it still has those.

I'm thinking maybe teams will be able to make it through Incarnation and then pull out wins because of the nerf to Feral utility.

01/20/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Sacristy
I don't understand how you can honestly think Shadow isn't top tier

It's a prediction based on a GC tweet (7 hrs ago) that they're still looking into ways to nerf Shadow:

@Ghostcrawler can we get some shadow utility nerfs already?
@tevtev17 We're nerfing their healing. Trying to promote more discussion in the community about what the right fixes are.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Giant nerfs in the same patch that classes that strongly counter it gains massive buffs (and yet another class gains a new fear break ability) causes Affliction to make a 'triumphant return' and suddenly become the 3rd best comp for no reason other then they 'wont stay down for long'. Sure, why not?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Can't wait for elemental survivability buffs, I've got a heck of an honor grind to undertake as I haven't touched this toon since hitting 90! However, I don't see them being above Ferals or DKs. Mages and Locks will probably still prefer Spriests/rogues or each other for partners.

I'm excited to see vids of funny comps using monks, as I'm sure everyone will at least be willing to give them a shot with all those buffs they received.

Off-topic: Loved watching Tom Brady walk off the field in shame just now! Not a Ravens fan, I just really dislike Brady & Belichick.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
T1 - The best
Arms
BM (still no nerf to Narrow Escape lmfao)
Windwalker

T2 - Strong but not as good as T1
Mage
Spriest (still has mass dispel and leap of faith)
Feral (might be T3 instead, time will tell, but new treants are amazing control)
Enhancement (both specs gain a lot from nerf of global silences)

T3 - Viable but takes some effort
DK
Balance (Big nerf to cooldown stacking but the new mass entanglement is great on maps where you can't typhoon people off bridges)
Elemental (shock mechanics are archaic. They should not be linked any more. The best burst from any caster if allowed to freecast for even a few seconds, some teams can make that work)

T4 - Pretty much worthless
Ret (currently tied for worst with Monks, and no significant buffs in sight)
Warlock (Nimble Brew, Rogues, and Warriors will keep warlocks out of the meta)
Edited by Tonìc on 1/20/2013 6:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
01/20/2013 06:25 PMPosted by Hafleur
Why do you think warriors won't be a top melee anymore? They've been so incredibly dominant that I don't see the nerfs knocking them out of top tier.

shockwave and warbinger nerfs and being unable to sit in d stance due to new tfb + other classes getting buffs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
@ Tonic
I think you have Enhance too high, but I prob put Feral a little low. I def don't see warlocks in tier 4.

I may go back and consolidate my list to three tiers.

01/20/2013 06:43 PMPosted by Thanatosia
Giant nerfs in the same patch that classes that strongly counter it gains massive buffs (and yet another class gains a new fear break ability) causes Affliction to make a 'triumphant return' and suddenly become the 3rd best comp for no reason other then they 'wont stay down for long'. Sure, why not?

erm, I think you misunderstood. I put warlocks in the third tier out of four, which is low. I don't think the warlock class will stay down for long because it has the best arena track record out of any class and because many top tier players play it.

What class counters warlocks, rogue? So do warriors and they're getting nerfs. And warlocks also like to play with rogues. As for WW's getting a fear break, it's also a stun break. That's not a direct counter to you.

01/20/2013 07:18 PMPosted by Grinkleqt
shockwave and warbinger nerfs and being unable to sit in d stance due to new tfb + other classes getting buffs.

Warbringer isn't the only good talent on the tier, warriors need nerfs, and other classes need buffs. This is pretty subjective, but I'm not convinced warriors are getting nerfed out of tier 1. They just won't be as dominant.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
yes warriors need nerfs , and i dont think they will be t1 anymore
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
T1 - The best
Arms
BM (still no nerf to Narrow Escape lmfao)
Windwalker

T2 - Strong but not as good as T1
Mage
Spriest (still has mass dispel and leap of faith)
Feral (might be T3 instead, time will tell, but new treants are amazing control)
Enhancement (both specs gain a lot from nerf of global silences)

T3 - Viable but takes some effort
DK
Balance (Big nerf to cooldown stacking but the new mass entanglement is great on maps where you can't typhoon people off bridges)
Elemental (shock mechanics are archaic. They should not be linked any more. The best burst from any caster if allowed to freecast for even a few seconds, some teams can make that work)

T4 - Pretty much worthless
Ret (currently tied for worst with Monks, and no significant buffs in sight)
Warlock (Nimble Brew, Rogues, and Warriors will keep warlocks out of the meta)

Have you actually been on the PTR? Nothing you said is accurate.

Arms is a joke on the PTR. They get blown up super easy now. They will definitely not be tier 1.

Ret is amazing on the PTR. There healing is nutz, and they still have amazing burst. I expect to see a ton of disc/ret/x comps running around after the patch. I can see disc/hunter/ret, and disc/dk/ret making a major comeback.

If you think Ret is bad on the PTR then you are probably just terrible.
Edited by Primiez on 1/20/2013 7:54 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]