Predictions: best DPS for 5.2 arena

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Have you actually been on the PTR? Nothing you said is accurate.

Arms is a joke on the PTR. They get blown up super easy now. They will definitely not be tier 1.

Ret is amazing on the PTR. There healing is nutz, and they still have amazing burst. I expect to see a ton of disc/ret/x comps running around after the patch. I can see disc/hunter/ret, and disc/dk/ret making a major comeback.

If you think Ret is bad on the PTR then you are probably just terrible.

I respect that you're actually testing stuff out, but duels aren't 3's. And you probably shouldn't throw stones when you've got a glass house. Tonic is a good player with good insights while you always complained about DK's back when they were solid. Basically, please keep the stupid attacks to a minimum.

I don't think Ret will be top-notch because personal survivability in 3's will still be low; we can't get off as many of those FoL's against pain trains such as KFC. That said I'd be delighted to be wrong. :)
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
Have you actually been on the PTR? Nothing you said is accurate.

Arms is a joke on the PTR. They get blown up super easy now. They will definitely not be tier 1.

Ret is amazing on the PTR. There healing is nutz, and they still have amazing burst. I expect to see a ton of disc/ret/x comps running around after the patch. I can see disc/hunter/ret, and disc/dk/ret making a major comeback.

If you think Ret is bad on the PTR then you are probably just terrible.

I respect that you're actually testing stuff out, but duels aren't 3's. And you probably shouldn't throw stones when you've got a glass house. Tonic is a good player with good insights while you always complained about DK's back when they were solid. Basically, please keep the stupid attacks to a minimum.

I don't think Ret will be top-notch because personal survivability in 3's will still be low; we can't get off as many of those FoL's against pain trains such as KFC. That said I'd be delighted to be wrong. :)

I have been doing nothing but 3v3 and 2v2 on the PTR. I rarely ever duel. Also I am very suspect of post that pretty much scream that the class someone is playing is crap blah blah blah.

When someone tries to downplay everything good about their spec to garner sympathy 9x out of 10 they suck at the game.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/20/2013 08:43 PMPosted by Primiez
I have been doing nothing but 3v3 and 2v2 on the PTR. I rarely ever duel. Also I am very suspect of post that pretty much scream that the class someone is playing is crap blah blah blah.

PTR 3's still isn't the same as live 3's, unless you're setting up matches against high rated players.

01/20/2013 08:43 PMPosted by Primiez
When someone tries to downplay everything good about their spec to garner sympathy 9x out of 10 they suck at the game.

Tonic said Ret is currently tied for the worst DPS in arena, which is true. I don't think WW's and rogues are worse off, and yet they're receiving major, major buffs. Ret gets a pretty sweet FoL buff, but how's that on the same level? You did predict, after all, that these will be the top three melee.

As for Arms, it may not seem tier 1 on patch day, but that's only because the facerollers have to be weeded out. Warriors will have to adjust to not popping their Swifty macros in the midst of their first charge, to actually earning their kills.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Each tier is in order of best to worst. Updated the OP.

Tier 1, da best
Rogue, BM, Windwalker, Arms, Shadow

Arms may be high tier 2, but I won't believe it until 5.2 is live for a while and warriors have time to adjust to not playing like retards. Shadow is still on the chopping block, but I expect it to land in tier 1 or high tier 2.

Tier 2, good
Frost Mage, Ele, Warlock

Ele is gonna be way better, but I'm not ready to jump onto the "best caster" bandwagon just yet. Warlocks are difficult to place because even after individual nerfs, their synergy with other classes is always stellar.

Tier 3, so-so
DK, Feral, Ret, Enhance, Moonkin

I think the gap between the haves and the have-nots will be a little lower in 5.2; these specs won't be bad, just not quite as good. Unholy is looking to make a comeback. Feral is getting nerfed harder than people think IMO. Ret is getting some nice healing buffs, but I expect it'll still be too easy to zerg in 3's.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
cya
Each tier is in order of best to worst. Updated the OP.

Tier 1, da best
Rogue, BM, Windwalker, Arms, Shadow

Arms may be high tier 2, but I won't believe it until 5.2 is live for a while and warriors have time to adjust to not playing like retards. Shadow is still on the chopping block, but I expect it to land in tier 1 or high tier 2.

Tier 2, good
Frost Mage, Ele, Warlock

Ele is gonna be way better, but I'm not ready to jump onto the "best caster" bandwagon just yet. Warlocks are difficult to place because even after individual nerfs, their synergy with other classes is always stellar.

Tier 3, so-so
DK, Feral, Ret, Enhance, Moonkin

I think the gap between the haves and the have-nots will be a little lower in 5.2; these specs won't be bad, just not quite as good. Unholy is looking to make a comeback. Feral is getting nerfed harder than people think IMO. Ret is getting some nice healing buffs, but I expect it'll still be too easy to zerg in 3's.

http://i.imgur.com/xVyoSl.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/20/2013 10:56 PMPosted by Disx
http://i.imgur.com/xVyoSl.jpg

I apologize for putting your class at the very top of the list. Can we be friends now?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Feral is losing 10% of it's burst...that's it...just 10%. They will still eat people alive. The cylone still hurts, but double dispersion still says hi.
Reply Quote
91 Goblin Shaman
Have to think this post is a simple troll post. A single defensive cooldown given to Ele isnt gonna magically take them from unplayable to a tier 2 lol, and the OP is saying he thinks it might be enough to take ele to tier 1.

Ele shaman will require a passive % damage reduction (15% like boomkin / shadow priest), reliable CC (remove CD of hex for Ele), unlinking of shocks and flameshock CD to be removed, Ghoswolf speed increased and unsnarable (possibly even breaking roots with shifts), to even remotely be considered a viable arena spec.

Even if all of the above was done, Ele would most likely still require another good defensive CD.
Reply Quote
Have to think this post is a simple troll post. A single defensive cooldown given to Ele isnt gonna magically take them from unplayable to a tier 2 lol, and the OP is saying he thinks it might be enough to take ele to tier 1.

Ele shaman will require a passive % damage reduction (15% like boomkin / shadow priest), reliable CC (remove CD of hex for Ele), unlinking of shocks and flameshock CD to be removed, Ghoswolf speed increased and unsnarable (possibly even breaking roots with shifts), to even remotely be considered a viable arena spec.

Even if all of the above was done, Ele would most likely still require another good defensive CD.

not sure if srs...
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Tier 1: Warrior/Spriest/Rogue/Monk/Hunter
Tier 2: All others will be here

So, according to this post, about half the classes will be in the top half... and about half the classes will be in the bottom half.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
01/20/2013 09:10 PMPosted by Hafleur
Ret is currently tied for the worst DPS in arena, which is true.

Not true, also an opinion, and an incorrect opinion at that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/22/2013 07:50 AMPosted by Angrysteel

Yes, clearly I'm trolling. *rolls eyes*

Your suggestions would make Ele incredibly overpowered. It doesn't take as much as you think to bring back a strong comp like LSD. Druids will be trying out new comps after the Cyclone nerf.

01/22/2013 11:14 AMPosted by Conspiracy
Not true, also an opinion, and an incorrect opinion at that.

Just to be clear, I don't include specs like Fury and Arcane that no one plays in arena.

Why don't you explain why you think 5.1 Ret is not one of the weakest arena DPS? I disagree with you, but that way we can at least have a discussion.
Edited by Hafleur on 1/22/2013 11:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This is entirely wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/22/2013 11:05 AMPosted by Discowarrior
So, according to this post, about half the classes will be in the top half... and about half the classes will be in the bottom half.

I could almost make a two tier list. The buffs to Ret healing may be enough to put it into tier 2. Feral may not be getting nerfed quite as hard as I think. The buffs to Unholy and DK in general may be enough to make it tier 2. The buffs to Unholy, Ret, and Disc may bring back an entire comp. Etc.

What I'm trying to say is balance in 5.2 won't be perfect, but it'll be a lot better. We may have good specs and decent specs rather than good specs, decent specs, and bad specs. Let me reiterate: I don't think the specs I put into tier 3 are gonna be bad. Rogue, BM, and WW will probably need some nerfs and, after 5.2 is out for a few weeks, we'll see what specs need some buffs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/22/2013 11:42 AMPosted by Raptordtf
This is entirely wrong.

I'm quoting one more person like this to make a point. Do you understand why your post is useless?

Tier lists are very subjective, but I made one to promote discussion. In what specific ways am I wrong? What's your tier list? Etc. Try at least three or for sentences next time. Learn to express yourself better.
Edited by Hafleur on 1/22/2013 12:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret is fine now and will be even better 5.2. Chill out bro; don't be so pessimistic.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Know what the best part about playing a WW Monk through 5.0/5.1 is?

Come 5.2, the ability to distinguish a seasoned, talented WW monk from your average FotM reroller will require little more than two working eyes and about 15 seconds of observation.

Bad WW monks will still be horrible in 5.2. Monks like myself that slugged their way through 5.0 and 5.1 on hardmode will stand out easily.
Reply Quote
I feel like this list isn't based on synergy at all.

The game isn't really this simple. Certain classes synergize very well together making comps top tier rather than classes by themselves. This is precisely why good players can put together comps which make no sense to lower level players and play to 2400+. They understand that even though a class may seem like they can't do well on paper, they can be buffed incredibly well by another class, or work well enough together to shut down the pressure and utility that "OP" classes bring.

It's 3v3, not 1v1.

This is why less than top tier classes (warlock, rogues, dks, disc) are found currently in top tier comps.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/22/2013 12:26 PMPosted by Zaeyax
This is why less than top tier classes (warlock, rogues, dks, disc) are found currently in top tier comps.

Are you saying you'd put 5.1 rogue and DK in tier 1?

I tried to take synergy into account. Could I see your tier list?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]