Gear gap needs to go.

90 Dwarf Paladin
01/24/2013 06:31 PMPosted by Kiaransali
Actually the whiny, entitled players need to go. If you are poorly geared look in the mirror because that is the responsible party. Blizzard isn't your daddy.

I agree with the first sentence. ENTITLED 90s that want to protect their OP gear need to go. Its a good thing you don't design games because NOBODY would play it.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I agree with the first sentence. ENTITLED 90s that want to protect their OP gear need to go. Its a good thing you don't design games because NOBODY would play it.

Then don't play a game where gear is a major part of it. Acknowledge that Blizzard is easing players that don't have all the time in the world to play, and the ones with multiple alts.

Really, I don't understand you or anyone else attacking and spitting on the ones that spent the time, suffering, and patience to get where they're at. Like you.

It's a good thing you don't run the show here either.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
If you want to hand everyone their PvP gear, PvP activity would just plummet.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
The gear gap is too strong too soon. It doesn't need to be this big of a difference already.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
01/26/2013 07:19 AMPosted by Piñata
If even the people that did this admit that it's a form of 'suffering' for them, why do they defend it?

Because that's what the game factors around. Progression.

If I got tired of it, I would move on to something that doesn't involve gear at all. Take a break, give others a try.

I'm not going to sit and moan for developers to change it to my liking.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
There are other kinds of progression; ratings, for example. As for getting the developers to change things, I don't see why not.

Which are a joke right now. Wintraders? Exploiting? You really can't call it worth anything right now, except the ones that legitimately worked for it.

This is not some ancient board game, where the rules have been established for thousands of years and is so well balanced that the idea of change would be ludicrous. This is a game built around the very idea of change. They add races, classes, abilities, areas, etc, etc. Thing have to change when they do.

Class abilities and races differ though from this though. You're speaking of changing a major aspect of this MMO. GC (as derp as he is) even stated this.

What people will get sick of is it being stale, apparently. I would have been perfectly happy to still see level 80 as max, no new abilities, no new anything, and just be playing the same bg's I did then. But that opinion seems to be the minority.

The same BGs? The beauty of it, you get a game that goes differently. You don't know what kind of opponents you'll be facing, or how intense will fights be.

When you make changes, you also cause problems, however. When you keep adding more and more, the grind gets longer and longer, the difference greater and greater. With the health pools and damage done now, being undergeared at 90 is the largest gap it has ever been. Even Blizz acknowledges this, and is implementing some gear scaling in 5.2...

They're implementing a way for those that can't log in so often, say mid season, to be able to catch up. That's what many have complained about, keeping up.

The upgrades were a step back, and a lot expressed their dislike for it. Plus, the bogus decision of nerfing Dreadful gear and not implementing honor weapons, because of PvE reasons.

They need to stop doing crap like that, and it probably wouldn't be so bad.

And honestly, the game was hell of a turn off years ago. What Blizzard done so far, was make it easier for everyone to gain their own set.

I'm still sore from being rolled by hardcore players in AQ gear back in Vanilla.
Edited by Kirama on 1/26/2013 7:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Why would I want that? As worthless as ratings are now, due to what you pointed out in your post, they are currently what people are forced to use to show their level of skill. Tbh, I've always found that amusing, too.

They do it for the T2 or self-esteem boost I'm assuming.

Take Wow, now. It can be argued, and I do argue, that you are not playing the same game from season to season. Your progression starts over every time they make a change. Your gear and environment is changed, and you have new 'pieces' (abilities) to deal with, as well. A good rating in a prior season doesn't mean that you are great and skilled in the new one. Your progression can only get to a certain point, and then it's all wiped clean by another upgrade.

And I don't mind that. The "downtime" of being undergeared helps me learn more about what class I happen to be working on.

I wouldn't object if they were to implement a way to scale around fighting others of my ilvl, I just don't understand why people still play if they truly tire of the same cycle.

01/26/2013 08:03 AMPosted by Piñata
The gear grind and upgrade progress, due to this, imo, actually makes the game less skillful.

In my honest opinion, it should be a balance between the two. Have gear still be a major enhancement for progressing players, but not completely pushing away skill.
Edited by Kirama on 1/26/2013 8:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Learning more about what class you happen to be working on is a futile effort when it keeps changing. When new abilities are added, you need to find a way to integrate that into your current knowledge. A new defensive CD, seemingly as simple as it is, can entirely change your 'rotation,' force entirely different strategies. The buttons you push may have the same label, but their absolute use in the game has changed. The knowledge you possess is basically yanked out from underneath you, and to a great extent, you are relearning, again, the class you sought to master.

The changes harm the idea of mastery. When you can't rely on past knowledge, due to it becoming outdated when you integrate the new abilities, opponents, or environmental changes, your skill progression has stopped, indeed restarted, to a great degree.

Personally, to me, that was the fun of it. Like the rogue class for instance, I had to stop relying on recuperate so much, learned to utilize the changed mechanics, and read over the talent changes.

And I did start out a bit clumsy. Over time it got better.

The same with my druid, I had to get use to not having abilities that before were baseline. I had to change my style of play, and it does feel like a minor self accomplishment.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh, you two.

You will never agree.

Besides we all know that I'm correct. The most skilled player in any BG is the one that last ate a gummy bear.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
This being the case, any idea of skill is fleeting at best. Why not remove the gear gap, so that people can at least try, for their limited time, to be skilled *within* an iteration, which is hard enough without the gear gap?

What they should have done is tighten it, not come out with absurd ways of making it worse.

Though when it comes down to certain players, say one makes a typical thread complaining about not killing anything.

He doesn't have enchants, he's using the wrong gems, but he insists everything will be better if he happens to easily gain the best set for his class.

That's something I don't understand, people think that getting said stats will save them. Of course, it will help them hit a lot harder, survive, but not help them get better at playing.

But they rather get angry at the ones that do take the time to learn, work their way to get their set?

I understand that some rely too much on gear to make themselves "good", but others that don't have it put too much blame on it alone.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Well, I can only speak for myself. I've only been playing this for a few years, not since vanilla like many of you, and I'm already tired of the gear grind. I'm certainly not angry at those that take the time to learn; that's a ludicrous thought. I am angry at Blizz for making the grind so intensive, wasting so much of my time grinding when I should just be playing.

Well technically, that is playing the game. Making it less intensive? I wouldn't mind if they did something about that.

In only a few years, the grind has grown more intense, speaking in the amount of time it takes me to get to a level where skill matters at all when playing against one of you that has time. Blizz has increased our pay in bg's, currency-wise, but at the same time has introduced far more to grind it away on. You get a piece, and now have to upgrade it? What, up to two times? Then conquest gear on top of that? I don't have MoP - can the CP gear be upgraded, too? If so, you've just, in effect, tripled the cost of gearing to parity, now haven't you, even to get the best hp gear. Another tripling in CP gear, if that can be upgraded as well.

I do agree with this though. Upgrade system was not needed. They should have left CP gear alone, kept it as the gear to be desired, and only allowed honor gear to be upgraded to tighten the difference between the two sets.

Honor is quite easy to get, and it would have been more appealing to those that go at a slow pace.

Time is money, they say. Blizz seems to want to make that true. Being beaten by some schmuck using the wrong abilities, no cc, etc, etc, does not prove his skill. It just proves his gear. Of course I resent that, and I resent even more the moronic publisher who made it possible. Of course I'm going to step off the hamster wheel until they fix it.

I remember fighting other rogues wielding legendaries last season. Those that knew how to play? Oh they ripped my face off. Others? They left me wondering how they managed to get such weapons.

The same with the staff. Even with such an item, some just don't know how to play.

01/26/2013 09:18 AMPosted by Piñata
I don't mind a token grind; I mind it when it becomes the mainstay of my experience, and I can only play for a week or so before they yank the carpet out from underneath me again and start the crap over.

I don't know about that. The only thing I recall when they removed tokens, was mixed opinions. Some loved that they did it, others didn't.

To me, didn't really matter.
Edited by Kirama on 1/26/2013 9:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
a stats advantage is just a crutch for players not willing to man up. you see the mentality of such players manifested in their actions: you never see them without their pocket healers, they'll only duel you if their gear is better or their class is a hard counter, they won't do class vs class, spec to spec duels, etc. they roll fotm like it's a noob weapon. basically, they'll do anything to avoid the agony of defeat. in doing so, they never challenge themselves to become better pvpers.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
01/26/2013 09:45 AMPosted by Drunkbeard
a stats advantage is just a crutch for players not willing to man up. you see the mentality of such players manifested in their actions: you never see them without their pocket healers, they'll only duel you if their gear is better or their class is a hard counter, they won't do class vs class, spec to spec duels, etc. they roll fotm like it's a noob weapon. basically, they'll do anything to avoid the agony of defeat. in doing so, they never challenge themselves to become better pvpers.

Assume much? I won't duel you or almost anyone ever? Why do you think that is?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]