OOM for EVERY Fight??

90 Tauren Druid

Use CD's before you're oom. Attempt to maintain over half your mana pool, rather than oom being the standard...pretend 150k is oom. If things get messy, you'll be glad you did so.

I try to hit the tricks at about 30% mana pool, I'll see if stepping it up to 50% helps.

And I get what you mean about let 'em get hit and don't worry about keeping them full, it's the old school instinct I need to break.

And yes I get that mana management is part of healing, except for which was it, late WoLK where we sneezed and got mana? However, I really don't ever recall it being this bad with constant mana draining, but I am getting forgetful in my old age.

wtf? No wonder you're going oom. You're supposed to cast innervate @80% mana remaining. ALWAYS. And the "self cast innervate" is a given...never cast that on someone else...ever...even if it's your other healer and he died and got brezzed. Not worth it.

Cast at 80% gives you +20% mana = close to 100% mana. And it will be ready to be used again that fight which will give you another 20% mana for a total gain of 40% throughout the fight. 60% on longer fights when it can be used 3times

Your way of doing it is allowing you to gain only 20%. See the problem here? Innervate is essential. Cast@80% mana, always. Set your health bars to display percentages.

And yeah..5k spirit isn't going to cut it....
Edited by Tonydanza on 1/23/2013 12:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
Note that this guy has only done LFR. He's going OOM in LFR.

So, OP ....
a) Yes, you need to use a potion every fight, especially with your level of spirit. Even in LFR.
b) Yes, you need to use Innervate on every fight; there's no reason not to.
c) Getting a Mana Tide makes a huge difference, and it's totally random whether you get one in your group or not.
d) When it comes to overhealing, you say that you "try not to spam overheals". That's not enough. Especially in LFR, 6 healers is too many, and there won't be a lot of damage for you to heal; you need to back off a lot when the damage isn't heavy.
e) It's normal to be OOM at the end of the fight.

5k spirit is enough to nap through LFR -- your gear is quite sufficient. Your playstyle is what needs adjusting.
Edited by Heartsings on 1/23/2013 12:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
And yes I get that mana management is part of healing, except for which was it, late WoLK where we sneezed and got mana? However, I really don't ever recall it being this bad with constant mana draining, but I am getting forgetful in my old age.

Yes, get used to having to use Innervate and maybe a pot or two during boss fights.

Your spirit IS quite low. Use straight up spirit in Blue (purple/green) gem slots. Otherwise, spirit hybrid gems are the way to go. Get rid of the haste gems first.

You are also in between haste breakpoints. The breakpoints at level 90 are: 3043, 5320, and 6652.

If you can't reach 5320, and you shouldn't try at your gear level, drop down to as close to 3043 without going under. Reforge instead to spirit or mastery.

Use Innervate at 75-80% and by the time you need it again, it will be ready.
Edited by Sherbear on 1/23/2013 3:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/22/2013 07:05 PMPosted by Blackangus
I try to hit the tricks at about 30% mana pool, I'll see if stepping it up to 50% helps.

Should do it at 80%. Already too low once you get to 50%.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Spirit is considered a secondary stat on items, as a result gemming spirit will (proportionally) impact your total spirit to a much higher degree than gemming anything else. I'd suggest gemming straight spirit and reforging off some haste down to your haste cap.

I didn't start feeling comfortable with my regen until I hit 10K unbuffed spirit. Even so, I can still oom myself if I'm not careful. Mana management is really big this tier.

Also use Innervate as soon as your low enough to get the full effect, then use it on cooldown thereafter. Don't wait until you're low, by then you'll already have wasted one Innervate.
Edited by Kessiaan on 1/23/2013 7:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
01/23/2013 03:16 AMPosted by Sherbear
You are also in between haste breakpoints. The breakpoints at level 90 are: 3043, 5320, and 6652.

That was the first thing that stood out to me on looking at this armory. You can drop about 1800 Haste from your gear. For example, your boots and off-hand are reforged from Mastery into Haste -- that's a no-no. Mastery is always good. Haste is only good to get you to a breakpoint, and then no more.

Mana conservation becomes much more easy as you gain better gear. It's astonishing really, how much of a difference it makes. When I was first healing MSV, no matter how well I timed my Innervate, or careful I was in healing, I'd be gasping for mana for the last quarter of every fight, praying that another healer would be able to keep things up. Now I'm at the point where I can heal through MSV without thinking of being conservative, and still have my mana bar half full.

Until then, practice good healing. Use Innervate early on. It is not a "oh crap, I'm out of mana" button, it's a "I'm going to use this every three minutes, starting when I'm around 80% mana". I use IceHUD and have a big tickmark on my mana bar at 80% -- when mana is hitting there, I Innervate. And then I Innervate again when it's off CD. In most raid encounters, you'll use Innervate twice. Ditto with anything else you can use to get the most bang for your buck: Nature's Swiftness + HT every minute for a big, free heal. Keep LB up for OOC procs.

I'd also reconsider your talents and glyphs. Dream of Cenarius isn't a great Resto talent right now - to get the bonus, you're spending 1.5 seconds casting a Wrath, only to get a 30% healing boost. You could instead cast two heals. Glyph of Healing Touch ... since you should rarely be using HT (besides combined with NS), that's effectively a wasted Glyph. And Glyph of Rejuv is pretty well wasted, since you're not going to have enough mana to keep RJ rolling on three targets, and Nourish is currently a bunk spell.
Reply Quote
I just wanted to drop back by and say thanks, the advice helped out. I haven't followed all of it, but I did adapt what was advised into what best helps my play style. The advice and info was appreciated.

So thank you all.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok, I am apparently a baddie and have no clue what I am doing, so that's off the table.

I'm having all kinds of issues running dry on mana. I'm watching the heals, the mana count, doing my best not to spam overheals, and even using the mushrooms, yet I'm having to self cast innervate and pop a potion on every single boss fight. Is this working as intended?

It seems that most mana burning classes have some sort of mana restore, but for some reason the Resto Druid one sure feels weak. Maybe I'm mistaken and just clueless but it sure doesn't feel right, so I guess I'll just tank more.

Actually, the Restoration mana regen mechanic is quite powerful. 20% of your mana every three minutes? I get 12% with a 50% reduction to my healing every two minutes. Silly, yours is fantastic! You should be using Innervate every possible chance, preferably at about 65-70% mana, to get the maximum efficiency from it.

If I may offer some advice, I'd like to help you (hopefully) heal more comfortably on your Druid. You should use Rejuvenation sparingly, typically most often when you will also use Swiftmend soon after. If you have no need of Swiftmend, don't bother wasting a Rejuvenation. In the meantime, you should be using Wild Growth, pretty much on cooldown. Obviously, keep Lifebloom up at all times. I pray I don't offend you with basic things, I know you're not ignorant. I'm just making sure to cover as much as possible!

One thing a guildmate of mine has had trouble with is his overall output, as wella as mana consumption. You should always, always, always keep Harmony active. Always. This is your top priority. The mastery for Druids is so key, even if you don't stack it to a great extent. When it's time to reapply your Lifebloom, do not simply reapply it. Refresh it with Nourish, therefore saving mana, because you're accomplishing the refresh and reactivating your Harmony buff.

Druids are fantastic at maintaining mana, albeit in different ways from other healers. Do your best, and take time to familiarize yourself with every mechanic available. I know many healers who are afraid to use mana restoration cooldowns. Paladins who don't use Divine Plea, Druids who don't use Innervate (on themselves, at least), Priests who don't use their Hymn. You absolutely should be using it. Don't be scared!

Anyway, good luck with your Druid. :) Have fun healing, and if you fail, what's the worst of it? Some pixels "died" on your computer. No real harm done. Take care!

Edit: Dear sweet baby Jesus, do not use Innervate on other people. It's a waste of a great cooldown! I have mine macro'd to only cast on myself, as you should to. Giving other people 10% when you could give yourself 20%? That's a no-brainer to me. :) Good luck, friend!
Edited by Zokura on 2/9/2013 1:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
One more thing that hasn't been mentioned: always keep lifebloom on someone, even if it's going to overheal. No Lifebloom, no OoC. That will kill your mana worse than anything. You need those free heals. (Although sometimes they come up when nobody is getting hit anyway; when this happens, just use them to refresh the lifebloom stack.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/23/2013 03:16 AMPosted by Sherbear

5320 is the unbuffed rejuv +1 breakpoint and should never, in my opinion, be geared for (unless you're consistently in a raid that has no moonkin, ele, or spriest, or sporebat. Ew).

5730 is the sotf'd wg +6 breakpoint, and isn't terrible if you take sotf, but it's close enough to 6652 that I would only advocate going for it if you can also get to 6652.

That said, for his gear level, 3043 is probably the only breakpoint he should be attempting to reach and dumping everything past that into spirit and mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
u don't to have nothing actually OP, you see…there is something going on in LFR that you should know about. Your need to heal is illusory. LFR is so easy that you can be carried the whole way. Blizz has done a HORRIBLE job creating fun, engaging gameplay at the LFR level. Feel free to cast WG on cd and throw out a RJ and SM on cd. and let the raid carry you to better gear. grab some popcorn and watch some cartoons, or some homework.

You can really get through 90% LFR content with 3 healers. And there are always some eager meter padders out there that will be more than happy to snipe all your heals so no worries :). I do my engineering HW while in LFR, sometimes i get bored of hitting POM so i just fall in the elevon pit.

So while the game has never been more bland and easy,, REJOICE! because it has never been easier to gear up :D.

You're on a tear today with worthless, non-contributing posts.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
02/10/2013 03:33 PMPosted by Barthom
on the contrary its very contributory. I am trying to save the OP the hassle of going through a bunch of unnecessary hoops. He/she is worried about having to perform at a certain level, and I am giving him/her the "red pill" opening his/her eyes to the fact that it doesn't really matter at this level, and to simply relax and ride out the next hour to better gear.

I'm taking the "blue pill" and reporting every one of your posts.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
01/22/2013 04:40 PMPosted by Shamannigans
All healers have to manage their mana. Thats part of healing.

Not on my priest. I spam smite without any awareness of mana and do more healing than my other 3 healers who are 10ish ilevels higher.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
on the contrary its very contributory. I am trying to save the OP the hassle of going through a bunch of unnecessary hoops. He/she is worried about having to perform at a certain level, and I am giving him/her the "red pill" opening his/her eyes to the fact that it doesn't really matter at this level, and to simply relax and ride out the next hour to better gear.

You're actually ensuring that he'll have a hard time later on. Developing good healing habits early prevents a person from struggling as much later on.

By encouraging people to just sit back and let themselves be carried, you're encouraging them to stop caring about being a better player. If everyone does that, I can guarantee LFR will suddenly seem a lot more engaging.
Edited by Elethia on 2/10/2013 6:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/10/2013 04:08 PMPosted by Noxelle
All healers have to manage their mana. Thats part of healing.

Not on my priest. I spam smite without any awareness of mana and do more healing than my other 3 healers who are 10ish ilevels higher.

That's because you're broken at the moment.

Though, somehow, I suspect you're engaging in hyperbole. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]