Windlord Progression (10m) help.

90 Night Elf Druid
The adds go down without a problem. We are able to handle the adds with relative ease, and up to this point in the tier, we have 2 healed (sometimes even 1 healed) every fight this tier but this one with the priest/druid combo. The issue we run into is phase 2 and rain of blades on Wind Lord. Our healing comp is:

1 H Pally (464 ilvl)
1 Disc/Holy Priest (488 ilvl) (Disc for this fight)
1 Resto Druid (480 ilvl)

The rest of our raid is:

1 Blood DK (tank)
1 Ret Pally (Tank MS/Ret off)
1 Destro Lock
1 Arcane Mage
1 Fury Warrior
1 Surv BM Hunter
1 WW Monk

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/2avgll0dfkmkphyw/

Now how we handled the fight last night was to kill the adds, than burn the boss. The issue we ran into is Rain of Blades doing 540k to every player in the raid, 486k to the tank. With Tranq being a 3 min cooldown, ToL being a 3 min CD, and a 1 min CD on Spirit Shell, we are surviving the first 2 waves of Rain of Blades by doubling up on Tranq and Spirit shell for the first wave, 2nd wave ToL and Spirit Shell, 3rd wave we tried rallying cry and personal cooldows but at this point the healers mana is exhausted and people start scrambling around running into wind bombs trying to keep themselves alive.

Looking at the logs, is there something we are doing wrong or is the gear level/skill of the healers (including myself) just not up to par for this fight? If we can survive 3-4 Rain of Blade waves, we have the dps to down the fight. This is just the first hurdle we've come to as far as heals go, and I am assuming the next 2 fights are going to be just as taxing.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Your raid is taking extra damage from wind bombs. That is a raid wiping mechanic. There should never be any windbombs going off and hitting the raid. One is survivable, but more than that is more than likely a wipe.

One CD per RoB should be enough to keep everyone at a manageable health pool. Like... SS one, Tranq the other, Healthstone/Defensives the next, SS again... etc etc.

My advice, make the ranged spread around the boss as far as they can, healers making a sort of triangle around the boss so you're able to hit everyone. When a windbomb is placed, the person who it spawned on needs to move beside it, just outside of the little circle it makes. The next person will do the same. Keep rinsing and repeating, moving forward once the windbombs have made a full circle around or soon will. Boss should be dead before they get too unmanageable.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Get rejuvs rolling on people before it starts, also during this point move your lifebloom from the tank to yourself as you are more fragile here and the extra little bit helps. During the rain of blades spam regrowth on people and make sure you have the glyph. Drop the healing touch glyph for it. At the same time make sure swiftmend and wg are on CD.

Put a marker on your most raid aware ranged player and make him a stack point while you slowly make your way around in a circle. You should hit enrage before you make it all the way around. This keeps everyone grouped up for aoe heals and makes it less likely someone will stumble into a bomb.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Oh, I wanted to add, Whirling Blade is completely avoidable too. If someone gets hit by that before a RoB and heals don't go out, they're s.o.l. and will more than likely die. :p when the boss turns to throw it, just have the person/people in it's path move away until it returns to him.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Is the priest dispeling quickening? RoB shouldn't hit that hard. Regardless make sure you are using your DPS cd's if you need them. You have devo aura and rallying cry banner and lock rocks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
01/24/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Sadiemay
Is the priest dispeling quickening? RoB shouldn't hit that hard. Regardless make sure you are using your DPS cd's if you need them. You have devo aura and rallying cry banner and lock rocks.

The OP is talking about RoB during phase 2. Edit: and I'm pretty sure Quickening only increases the damage done by the swarm adds.
Edited by Taymage on 1/24/2013 11:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
01/24/2013 11:37 AMPosted by Taymage
Quickening only increases the damage done by the swarm adds.

I thought if a RoB goes out and the boss as quickening, the dmg is increased. Which is why people prioritize dispelling the boss if they don't care about MDing the entire group.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Some additional advice. If you are going to be short a cooldown for one or more of the RoBs during phase two, be sure to let the raid know beforehand - this will help them use personal cooldowns to survive one or two of them.

For example, the mage can (and should) talent into Temporal Shield, which heals back damage taken over I think 4 seconds. He can also cauterize / eat a health stone on another RoB, and iceblock through a third. Have the raid figure out what personal cooldowns they can use to help you guys out for the times when you do not have RoB covered with healing cooldowns.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
01/24/2013 11:40 AMPosted by Fluffychoo

I thought if a RoB goes out and the boss as quickening, the dmg is increased. Which is why people prioritize dispelling the boss if they don't care about MDing the entire group.

Yes, but Quickening is cast by the battle-menders, right? She is talking about phase 2, when all of the adds are dead. Idk, maybe I have that wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
01/24/2013 11:43 AMPosted by Taymage
Yes, but Quickening is cast by the battle-menders, right? She is talking about phase 2, when all of the adds are dead. Idk, maybe I have that wrong.

Yep, therefore it's irrelevant.

It's the windbombs that are the culprit.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/24/2013 11:37 AMPosted by Taymage

You are correct, it is recklessness that increases the damage done by the boss.

each time adds of the same kind are killed, Mel'jarak gains a stack of Recklessness, which increases his damage done by 50%, and his damage taken by 33%.

Knew it was something >.<
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Dispel quickening.

Before rain of blades your priest should get to 5 stacks of evangelism so they can use archangel, put a prayer of mending out, then spirit shell PoH both groups to cap. Cascade when rain of blades starts breaking through the shields and refresh mending when it runs out of charges (it bounces around super fast during rain of blades). Penance the boss (massive smart heals due to increased damage taken stacks) once you've done all the above to heal up whoever's dropping the lowest.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Also yes, I realize they are wiping in p2 but if one of the reasons is healer mana, they would save mana by not having to heal through additional damage in p1.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Yeah the mechanics like wind bombs really aren't the issue (I appreciate the feedback on that though) although the people who hit them have been called out and know they did something bad, it isn't something that people are consistently doing. They are also aware that the whirling blades are completely avoidable. What is killing us the most is rain of blades. Even if everyone is topped off, tranq alone just isn't enough to keep everyone alive (it is, but there were points where people had 1% or less HP, and at that point when a DPS gets that low they tend to lose focus and run into things) which is why we've been rotating the CD's. The Regrowth Glyph, LB switching and RJ spam is a great suggestion and I will definitely do that.

As far as quickening, once the battle menders go down he no longer gets it (I did have to look back at the logs to confirm this though).

As far as devo aura goes, Rain of Blades is physical damage, so Devo Aura does no good (unless someone steps on a wind bomb which shouldn't happen). The banner was also a good idea.

Really appreciate the help, all the suggestions so far have been excellent, anything else we can try?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Oh, uh... your priest isn't doing any damage outside of mindbender at all.

Wind Lord is pretty much the perfect fight for Disc - there's a bunch of low damage time (do damage to build stacks), then a huge burst of damage you can preshield and have 25% increased healing from archangel up for. Your priest is ignoring a 25% throughput bonus he can have up for every single rain of blades.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
He could also do better with his rapture timing. On your longest pull (11) he got 15 raptures over 7.5 minutes - or one every 30 seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Oh, uh... your priest isn't doing any damage outside of mindbender at all.

Wind Lord is pretty much the perfect fight for Disc - there's a bunch of low damage time (do damage to build stacks), then a huge burst of damage you can preshield and have 25% increased healing from archangel up for. Your priest is ignoring a 25% throughput bonus he can have up for every single rain of blades.

Moreover, a huge burst of damage every minute. It lines up almost perfectly with Spirit Shell. The DBM timer says otherwise, but my logs (and personal experience) points to it being nearly every minute:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/w3sta8i1lloapo1d/sum/healingDone/?s=12415&e=12857

Damage outside RoBs is so low in P2 I'm not sure what I'd do outside of Atonement spam.
Edited by Skootalloo on 1/24/2013 12:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/24/2013 12:00 PMPosted by Whydrood
Really appreciate the help, all the suggestions so far have been excellent, anything else we can try?

Any other hybrids in the raid that can help? Even as guardian / moonkin, popping the occasional 10-min tranquility has helped at times.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
01/24/2013 12:00 PMPosted by Whydrood
Yeah the mechanics like wind bombs really aren't the issue

Well, on the three longest parses, I see wind bomb dmg being taken. There should be like... no damage taken from that... like ever. It's a big waste of mana.

I don't see how a tranq + an unbuffed PoH isn't doing the trick. :s

edit: I may have been reading the logs wrong. My bad!
Edited by Fluffychoo on 1/24/2013 12:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My guild two heals this fight and while mana did get hazy the first couple of kills, we were able to do it. What we did was make the healing as easy as possible in p1, to conserve mana.
In that regard we would kill the menders as quickly as possible. Then we would bring the trapper and blademaster adds down together such that they would die with in seconds of each other. During this time, we would make sure the boss gets close to, but not reaching, the % health (75%?) that he starts using wind bombs.
Basically, by killing the two sets of adds together, we go from easy healing to spreading out, popping hero, and surviving the RoB. This means our mana is higher so we can use more fast, inefficient heals at that point.

And OS cds are amazing. just coordinate them. Doesnt the monk have something that nullifies dmg? (maybe it just redirects it to him, in which case, thats a bad idea)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]