Prot Nerf Coming Affecting Haste/Shield

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Blue post: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7593740975?page=45#884
For Protection, we do have plans to try and lower the value of haste relative to dodge and parry. We don't want to make haste terrible for paladins, but we agree that it's odd for it to be better than more traditional tank stats. It might require a nerf to Shield of the Righteous to do this, but our goal is not to nerf survivability overall. We just wanted to provide you some context if you see odd changes to tanking abilities.

I have my feelings but they're not welcome here. Discuss how you want.
Edited by Lustan on 1/25/2013 9:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/25/2013 08:37 AMPosted by Lustan
As if it's not bad enough being a mediocre tank class, Blizz is going to reduce Haste's importance by nerfing Shield.

This patch will set back prot behind the other tanking classes. So I guess I have to look forward 5.3 where they will make paladins okay again.

I don't even tank anymore but I don't need to, to tell you these two things

1) You are not playing at a high enough level to make blanket claims about tank balance.

2) You are not playing well enough if you personally feel under powered.
Edited by Xerties on 1/25/2013 8:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I don't even tank anymore

Stopped reading here. I love when the uneducated try to educate.

Yes I am the uneducated one. Just because I don't tank doesn't mean I don't still understand the mechanics and theory. Care to try that one again with me?
Edited by Xayton on 1/25/2013 9:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Level 85 paladin that stopped raiding in Firelands... this proves?

BTW thanks for the bumps!

Kid your funny. Progression = everything right. Try again. Progression in most instances means nothing. However if you are going to make BLANKET statements about tank balance you might want to have some or at least be able to back up your arguments. You have and have done neither.

As for the random level 85 Paladin that stopped raiding in Firelands and what that proves. Nothing in and of itself. However I am not some random scrub you meet in LFR who facepulls everything. I have written and updated the tanking sticky on the forums since Wrath. Also I was a very vocal opponent of the WoG spam play style that plagued the start of Cata. Myself and a few other tanking forum regulars actually had about 3 topics worth of discussion on it that were peppered with blue discussion.

When it comes to tank balance and damage output Pallys are a bit behind however this has always been the case. When it comes to tank balance and damage intake its not HEAVILY favoring one class or another as it was in Uld and Early Cata (Dk's and pallies respectively).

Short version, if you think you are underpowered, play better. When I tanked I never felt underpowered if anything I always felt OP.

As for bumps, I could care less. So waffles.
Edited by Xayton on 1/25/2013 9:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Eh. I'm kinda miffed by the change, but I can see why they'd want to change it, considering the DKs and the Ret Paladins in my group look at me funny every time I salivate at their Haste DPS gear (though I won't lie, part of me loves the fact I can use both Prot/Ret gear to save some bag space /cough). If they keep their promise about not nerfing survivability, and still manage to keep things fun for Prot, I'll be okay with it, but we'll see what's in store. Remember that none of this is set in stone.

I don't understand what you mean by mediocre though. Our cooldowns and abilities are a huge boon in raids. :\
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
01/25/2013 08:57 AMPosted by Lustan
I don't even tank anymore

Stopped reading here. I love when the uneducated try to educate.

Did this really just happen?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Sooo...I am a bit confused.

01/25/2013 09:33 AMPosted by Lustan
Son, I'll tell you, I think I'm well balanced and powered nicely compared to other tanks currently.

And
As if it's not bad enough being a mediocre tank class

So I guess I have to look forward 5.3 where they will make paladins okay again.

---
I believe I have the right to announce my displeasure with this

Sure go for it, I've done it many times. However you are being FAR from constructive about it.
Edited by Xerties on 1/25/2013 9:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Edited by Lustan on 1/25/2013 9:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Edited by Lustan on 1/25/2013 9:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Progression is everything?

Xayton wasn't out to get you, but when you call a class mediocre in its current state, ESPECIALLY at your level of progression, you have no room to talk.

Players that understand the control / haste theory are more than likely going to be following that build, but mastery isn't in a bad spot, haste is just too attractive for most encounters. It improves too many things.
It was probably expected by a good amount of players to get nerfed in some form.
Edited by Carbuncle on 1/25/2013 10:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Fine I'm deleting my opinions from my posts because everyone would rather argue about my terminology and not the overall message.

I'll just be p.o'd on my own while I go find mastery gear to replace my haste gear.
Edited by Lustan on 1/25/2013 10:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
To be completely honest, I don't mind so much if a result of them nerfing haste values means we have slightly less survivability. The thing I do care about, however is the gameplay itself. When I first started tanking in MoP as prot with little to no haste, it was one of the most boring things I had done in the game. Now that I have even a little bit of haste the gameplay is infinitely better. So as long as they can supplement the lower haste values with maybe a 1sec GCD instead of our 1.5 sec GCD then I'd be ok with that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/25/2013 09:47 AMPosted by Carbuncle
Players that understand the control / haste theory are more than likely going to be following that build

If Shield gets it's base damage nerfed enough then Control/Haste will no longer reduce as much damage ad Control/Mastery.

If there was a way one on one for you to tell me how much I suck I'd be fine with that because I'd love to hear differences of how you are better then. This is not facetius though it may sound that way.
Edited by Lustan on 1/25/2013 10:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I have no problem with having a discussion about the new "changes" I shall say to haste.

Starting off a thread calling the spec mediocre in its current state, and complain about the upcoming changes is not the proper way to start a discussion.

If they do nerf haste, especially to the value of dodge/parry, it's already likely that most paladins will follow a cookie cutter build with mastery, less variety.
I feel they will probably compensate in some shape or form, but haste is definitely too attractive.

They are still a little vague about the changes they are making to haste for Prot, and I agree it needs some. Nothing is really definite.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What does mediocre mean to you? It means average translating to not need buffs or nerfs. Among the 5 tanking classes we are in the middle.

Would you have felt better if I said we were average?

Eh whatever. You win. I'm a dumby. I suck at writing posts and apparently at tanking and I know I suck at dps. This stupid thread I started has already taken up way more energy then I care to spend.

- Defeated
Edited by Lustan on 1/25/2013 10:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
What does mediocre mean to you? It means average translating to not need buffs or nerfs. Among the 5 tanking classes we are in the middle.

Would you have felt better if I said we were average?

People do not commonly associate mediocre with average. It is commonly associated with poor, bellow average, or not very good.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/25/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Carbuncle
They are still a little vague about the changes they are making to haste for Prot, and I agree it needs some. Nothing is really definite.

Can you imagine if Mastery affected Sanctity of Battle? /salivate

Okay, that's overboard, but still.

People do not commonly associate mediocre with average. It is commonly associated with poor, bellow average, or not very good.

This here. Not to mention, you already put such a negative spin into the first 5 seconds of your post, so it's not surprising some hackles got raised.

Edit: And you edited your post as I type this. Mehh.
Edited by Jackishi on 1/25/2013 10:33 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]